• This topic is locked This topic is locked
236 replies to this topic

Darkshaunz #1 Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 10062 battles
  • [SAUND] SAUND

POPULAR

This is a discussion about the concept of being "On Tilt" in World of Tanks. I think it's important to explore this concept because it can have adverse effects on the enjoyment of the gameplay. This is also more directed at players that are more proactive in their self-evaluation and assessments after each game - but it can apply to any player. I've not seen this term being used here, so maybe "Tilt" can be used as nomenclature to describe "abnormal game performance".

What is Tilt?

Tilt is originally a poker term used to describe a competent player beginning to perform well below his capability after a bad game or two. Tilt is caused by emotional frustration clouding the judgement of an otherwise calm and consistent player. The resulting emotional response results in increasingly aggressive play, frustration and pessimism - which ends in an irreparable losing streak.

Why is Tilt relevant to World of Tanks?

World of Tanks is inherently a competitive game, where you engage other individuals in pixel tank combat. AFKers and bots notwithstanding, this means that you are essentially pitting yourself against human beings that are governed by emotional reactions. As many of you know, the actions of a few can really swing the influence of a match - especially those players that place a high value on good winning performances. As such, the higher your own expectations of your own performance - the greater the effects of tilt that you will potentially experience. So here are my own observed qualities of tilt:
  • Tilt is relative, depending on a tanker's individual self-expectation of what is considered to be "normal performance/expectations" (ie: WR/WN7 etc.)
  • Tilt is governed by an emotional response to a situation, and is triggered by an event outside of normal expectations (usually a very bad round of tanks).
  • Tilt is a downward spiral that continues to get progressively worse until corrective measure are undertaken (ie: Loss streaks exceeding five or more)
However, I posit that even the best players suffer from tilt - except the better performers will know how to mitigate the effects of tilt itself (more on that later). Hence, this concept is important because everyone has the potential to suffer from it - and will find the consequences on their stats and enjoyment adversely affected.

Am I on Tilt, or are the pubbies just bad?

The most important thing is to recognize whether or not you may be on tilt to begin with. The pilot can't pull out of a stall over the ocean at night if he doesn't have the instruments to assist him out of the uncontrollable dive. So in essence, you'll have to calibrate your own instruments to determine whether or not you may be experiencing a negative/destructive emotional response to a particularly bad round. Pubbies being bad is something you will have to do your best to compensate for - and the blame will almost always fall to the random players on your team. Some of it is due to actual fail by your team, personal ego or even partly affected by mild symptoms of FG_'s Dunning-Kruger effect. This is just a normal function of the human brain, but let's focus on some tilt symptoms:

Symptoms
  • Nasty streak: Losing more than five games in a row
  • Unnatural aggression: Opting to rush the enemy in situations, taking unnecessary hull damage to hasten the game and take a quick win at all costs
  • Scapegoating: Exponentially angered by the actions of the platmates/allies, even though they are not doing anything particularly wrong
  • Self-Loathing: Performed below self-assigned WR theshold (ie: must achieve 55% WR or higher for the day)
  • Loss of Control: "Ah who cares, clearly everything is down to luck anyway! my losses so far prove that!". Player stops trying because he believes he cannot recover from the losses.
As from the list above, those are based on my personal observations - but I invite everyone to add to the symptoms. We've also experienced at least one, two or more of the symptoms of tilt - because a lot of the forum warriors tend to be more sensitive and alert to their own game performance. As I've just covered the symptoms, let us explore some of the potential triggers of tilt in our server:

Triggers
  • Time of day: Playing very early in the morning or extremely late results in poor MM (and randoms). Losses incurred have high chances to make the player experience Loss of Control.
  • Stamina levels: Playing whilst tired and fatigued results in a shorter temper fuse and poorer acceptance of mistakes. Seeing a lemming when we're tired makes us a lot angrier than when well-rested.
  • Harsh self-expectations: Playing with a high WR benchmark (Say 75%+ or whatever) makes it easier for you to move into Scapegoating and Self-Loathing when something goes awry.
  • Guilty dive: Failure to carry a game, failure to cover a platmate, or missing easy shots (RNG, curse you!) can result in a tilt trigger. Especially if the person feels they have failed a comrade.
  • Taunting: Doesn't often occur with the mature performers here, but taunting and inciting can lure solid players to deviate from their usual game-plan. This can result in an unexpected loss.
How about some suggested ways we can mitigate tilt?

Methods of mitigating Tilt

Thinking about this section, I realized that it depends on the player's own preparation and steps they take to win a match. It also demands that the individual is honest and self-aware about their own emotional thresholds. Just how reactive and proactive are you in ensuring you don't fall into the trap of Tilt Spiral?

Reactive Measures
  • Stop Playing: "Maybe the next game I will win for sure!" No, just step away from the PC and do something else. Clear your mind and re-approach the game after you've calmed down.
  • Analyzing Gameplay: Take a good look if you were using a non-optimal strategy. Yes you got top damage, but did you sacrifice map control to do so? What adjustments should be made?
  • Venting Anger: You have to take out and manage that frustration somehow. Some people seal club in loltraktors and some make an angry thread on the forums. Find a way that works for you.

Proactive Measures
  • Reasonable Goals: Don't go into a day with unreasonable expectations, increase your goal milestones step by step. To some people that's 52% WR, and others 70%+. Everyone is different.
  • Maximum Loss Thresholds: Set a personal "You shall not pass!" barrier of losses. Be fair, if you lose five games - then make a commitment to take a break and do something else.
  • Positive Mindset: Make the best out of a situation, and play your hardest - tilts are a temporary phenomena. Platoon if that helps you maintain a more social and relaxed mindset.

I know there's an explosion of words here, but I would like to know what you guys think about applying the concept of tilt to World of Tanks - and if you believe it is a relevant phenomena on our server. I also invite additions to not only the symptoms of tilt, but also ways to mitigate tilt based on your experience in public games, tank companies and clan wars.

Cheers!

Saunders University High School [SAUND]

r1kub0y #2 Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Staff sergeant

• 7096 battles
Plus+1,I have been on 'tilt' for quite some time, shouldering the burden to carry a team is just way too hard... There's so much one bloody player can do against the enemy team.

Edited by r1kub0y, 04 May 2013 - 01:46 PM.

The only constant in life is change.

WhatsThatSmell #3 Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 15620 battles
  • [-7-] -7-
My tilt button seems to be stuck in the 'on' position  :amazed:

MessyMix #4 Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 7115 battles
  • [TOXIC] TOXIC
+1. nice read!

Northwestern #5 Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 23469 battles
One thing I always try to do after a bad match is to drop all my thoughts about it and move on to another. It's a whole new game after all, so the previous one shouldn't directly affect it. Some players, immediately after a fail game, like to talk about it with their mates which I suppose is a way of diffusing whatever it is that may affect their next game. You can try this though I personally do what I can to totally forget it. Just chuck the previous game up to Murphy's Law and jump to another tank.

Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

TovarishTony #6 Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Captain

• 16274 battles
  • [CCCP] CCCP
Add these ff behaviors that causes tilt
Fall back mentality: while advancing bad teammate asks pusher to fall back which is a sign of not allowing the paint of his tank to be scratched and should be shot for desertion
Unnecessary camping: Either half of the team or the whole team camps at base or a certain spot near the base causing possible draws
Fail platoons: People who platoon with higher tier tanks that causes a burden to the team ex. MS-1 platoon with a tier VIII tank
Я помню! Я горжусь!

_PanzerKeil_ #7 Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Sergeant

• 4767 battles
  • [OAGA] OAGA
That's why I keep an MMO and another game open when playing WoT. Lose streaks... alt tab.

Good read +1

Guilty of some symptoms XD

Yekaterina #8 Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 5998 battles

View PostTovarishTony, on 04 May 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Fall back mentality: while advancing bad teammate asks pusher to fall back which is a sign of not allowing the paint of his tank to be scratched and should be shot for desertion

There is absolutely nothing wrong with falling back to a better position should the need arise. Being aggressive does not mean being suicidal.

-Yekaterina

If winning and losing are both irrelevant, then win!

Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей

r1kub0y #9 Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

Staff sergeant

• 7096 battles
Meh, I rmb raging in the following battle,blaming the fool's who fail to do what they are suppose to do.Meh, I keep minecraft around for this reason.
The only constant in life is change.

TovarishTony #10 Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Captain

• 16274 battles
  • [CCCP] CCCP

View PostYekaterina, on 04 May 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with falling back to a better position should the need arise. Being aggressive does not mean being suicidal.
Falling back to a better position yes but not the falling back to the worse position
Я помню! Я горжусь!

iamshadow #11 Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 20085 battles
Good assessment.

It seems that when I bring out my high tiers, it just keeps getting worse. I'm not even premium and that means I'm losing more creds from losing 5 games than earning creds in winning 5 games. Just.. frustrating. Blame the MM sometimes when you only have 2 Tier Xs and the other team has 5. What the foop.

AVANT_Horror #12 Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 11078 battles
changing my name to 'Tilt' , I feel like I just read my own bio.

I mean... <.< I never get cranky. :blinky:

Nigel_no_mates #13 Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 48848 battles
Very good read and I see the symptoms in myself sometimes.

FG_YOLOs #14 Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 14900 battles

View PostHorror, on 04 May 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

changing my name to 'Tilt' , I feel like I just read my own bio.

I mean... <.< I never get cranky. :blinky:

Me neither. Wanna toon with me for non-cranky epic funzorz?

signature.png

nugimugi #15 Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Staff sergeant

• 10995 battles
+1 nice read and i like how you chose your words, easy to understand

losing don't make me tilt, having bad teams are

StormCrowReaperManyHat #16 Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Ammo Racked IRL

• Beta-Tester
  • 18227 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostDarkshaunz, on 04 May 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Epic wall of text.

Excellent read and a topic of conversation I've had with my plat mates many times.  It usually goes like this.

"Man I just can't hit anything and I'm sucking, that's five in a row where I haven't done anything. I'm taking a break."

"Dude, we won every battle."

"Yes but only because you two carried. I sucked and it's making me crabby, I'll be back later."

Outrage is too exhausting to maintain for years on end. Numpty fatigue has set in.

The rage of 2013/2014 has sullenly ceded ground to apathy and despair, there is no viable alternative.

#FreeFireGuard2k13

ExESGO #17 Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

YUNOBUY$2MIC

• 5390 battles
After 2-3 bad games, I end up being on a tilt, and I enter cool down (read: Rage Quit) mode.

Now I'm just red.

Visit my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ExESGO

FG_YOLOs #18 Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 14900 battles

View PostReapermanRS_, on 04 May 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Excellent read and a topic of conversation I've had with my plat mates many times.  It usually goes like this.

"Man I just can't hit anything and I'm sucking, that's five in a row where I haven't done anything. I'm taking a break."

"Dude, we won every battle."

"Yes but only because you two carried. I sucked and it's making me crabby, I'll be back later."

When ARE you coming back?

signature.png

StarshinaGospodin #19 Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 7852 battles
I get tilt many times, especially those 20 lose streaks.  :angry:
I get pissed off easily.
This is why I stopped playing WoT 7 days a week and made me switch to Saturdays & Sundays instead, else there will be an explosion inside my house.
Makes me rant like that guy named Adolf...

"Aw crap, we've got stock KV-1S!"  :angry:

*☭ ЗА НАШУ СОВЕТСКУЮ РОДИНУ! *

Major_TroubLE #20 Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 9029 battles
finally a good read, thanks for sharing, i might be tilting today as i keep seeing 34% or so chance to win at every start of each battles LOL, maybe disabling xvm is a good measure sometimes.
We Strike!

Also tagged with Tilt, Deviations, Abnormal_Performance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users