Special episode of WG News on Free to win.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

WGNews #1 Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

Major

• Administrator
  • 0 battles
Find out info about free to win model in special episode of WG News

Full news text

nifoc2099 #2 Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 14983 battles
Partial truth. What about these 2?

1)  Premium Tanks
2)  Premium Accounts

Can players who do not buy gold get them? Please provide answer

ChaosGhost #3 Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 20161 battles
  • [WGFP] WGFP

View Postnifoc2099, on 15 June 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

1)  Premium Tanks
2)  Premium Accounts

*looks at Clan Wars, events, and contests*

...Yeah. Provided you're good enough.

Seta Sojiro

"The strong live and the weak die -- That's the truth Mr. Shishio taught me. But is being weak really that bad? I'd killed people, but killing people wasn't... really wasn't what I wanted to do. That's right; I was smiling in the rain, but in reality... I was really crying."

john #4 Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 20413 battles
crap....................................................!

Kurisu_Yukine #5 Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 14634 battles
  • [M4A1] M4A1
*compares comments on Youtube with the thread here*
hmmmm.......well no one bashing this as much as in the Youtube comments~
was getting ready to eat popcorn :popcorn:

Mick42 #6 Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Major

• 13923 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostChaosGhost, on 15 June 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

*looks at Clan Wars, events, and contests*...Yeah. Provided you're good enough.
This.

With all the forum comps, CWs, in game events (you get a fair bit if you beat a WG TC) one could reasonably buy a years premium and a T8 Prem (except gift shop ones like the KV-5). Art of War is good for free gold AND a free Type. Not to mention the current contest having 15 years of premium on display and more Types and free gold.

Quite simply, a player with a brain and a degree of skill (49%+) could never HAVE to pay money. However, these avenues are far, far slower and prone to getting zip. Therefore, WoT truly is money to save time, or time to save money.

Check out my Minion's voice mod!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Melcyna #7 Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 13559 battles
At least NOW maybe

in case one forgot, just a while back we had to pay gold to buy premium consumables, and a bit before that we had to pay gold for premium ammo remember?

WG answer back then long ago on these premium ammo and consumables etc???

'we expect ppl to pay some money if they intend to be in the top league'

WG attitude basically is common in China etc where P2Win is a common occurrence in their gaming scene

It was only after they encountered heavy resistance from the western competitive gaming scene where this kind of blatant P2Win things are not just shunned but abhorred that they started shifting some effort to move away from it.

Retia #8 Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Major

• 22662 battles
  • [DPS] DPS

View PostMelcyna, on 15 June 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

It was only after they encountered heavy resistance from the western competitive gaming scene where this kind of blatant P2Win things are not just shunned but abhorred that they started shifting some effort to move away from it.

To be honest I tested premium shells and consumables only-loadouts use in random matches about a year and a half ago.
The only real difference was with fast tanks (mainly medium tanks) and only in snapshot situations.

Not game breaking, but on the tip of falling into that pit of doom that is Pay2Win.

Playing without Mods would be boring.

Melcyna #9 Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 13559 battles
The game breaking part we can probably debate extensively since the premium shells obviously gave a significant advantage to the user in his choice of effective target area that can be penetrated reliably.

But yeah, the general competitive gaming scene in the western never took WoT seriously because of it
(WoT was virtually the poster child of P2W back then, while such things are considered heretical in western competitive gaming)
which is one of the other reason why despite having a significant player base in NA and long period already digging into the western market that they only recently managed to score some actual penetration into the community.

They finally gain some actual momentum after starting to shed off these P2W features...

Now they actually has some ground to start competing in the western competitive gaming, but in case they forgot:

Non P2W is an EXPECTED standard in western competitive gaming

the only place where this is not is back where WoT came from, and China... in the western, you either show yourself as a non subscriber of P2W... or no one will take you seriously, and games already established in the competitive gaming in western pretty much already know and do this to various extent (some still tries to skirt around it and get smashed hard, the community really do not like it in the western)

Edited by Melcyna, 15 June 2013 - 10:16 PM.

erick0921 #10 Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 21442 battles
  • [TROLL] TROLL
all i see in this is that atleast they aknowledge it depends on your skills not your wallet. i seen lots of wallet warriors who are lacking in every aspect. but premium account/tanks advantage is u get more credits and experience than usual. i give this a 4/5 points

Retia #11 Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Major

• 22662 battles
  • [DPS] DPS

View PostMelcyna, on 15 June 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

wall of text

True, but honestly the average player will still aim for the same weakspots as before.
The medium will still try to flank the heavy, and the Maus is still be impenetrable even to premium ammo.

Atleast that was my personal experience back when I tried gold shells.

As for the P2W part, I think every gamer should hate the pure notion of it, hence why I'm glad they made premium shells/consumables, plats/tcs
available for everyone.
For example players over here (*waves hand from Hamburg, Germany*) even hate the notion of pre orders giving out
free weapons for a new fps.

If the weapon is for singleplayer only, it's mostly falling into the "We'll let it slip, but we're watching you" hole.
If the weapon is also usable in multiplayer, and it's as good as regular weapons, maybe even combining different stats
like for example big clip + high rate of fire which no other weapon does, then people here start a giant uproar in gaming related forums.

And I think it's good like this, selling cosmetic stuff like skins is okay, selling stuff that reduces the grind time is good and even the notion
of having to pay real money to open a clan is okay in my opinion.

As for premium account and tanks as nifoc2099 mentioned:

The only merit of having those is that they reduce the grind.
Premium tanks have only one practical use, the higher credit income.

Yes, some of them are very "cool" or "special" tanks, but I don't see it as a problem that you can buy
rarities that have no place in the normal techtree for real money.

It would be a problem if you could buy any regular tank as a premium tank in it's elite status and with
extra credit gainings, that would be standing above the pit of Pay2Win and jumping into it head on.

However since all premium tanks are weaker versions of existing tanks, or prototypes that are, again, weaker
than their counterparts, I have no problem with premium tanks being sold for real money.

Sidenote:
I do have quite a few premium tanks, but there was a time when I had none, and I didn't miss them.
I bought mine because I'm a huge tanknerd.
Think of model building only in an digital form and I can actually blow up my models as often as I want.
It's also way cheaper...

Playing without Mods would be boring.

Melcyna #12 Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 13559 battles
I am generally fine with the premium tank as well since none of them really brings a feature vital for competitive fight which is really the key,

with the single sole exception of course of the one premium tank that generated more hatred and complaint than all others combined that they pulled the tank out of sale ie:
Type 59 tank which at it's hey day before it was significantly nerfed, slightly buffed, nerfed again, buffed again... was rampaging across the matches in platoons or singular and wreaking havoc before they finally just removed it from active sale.

But to be more accurate and to clarify what i stated before as well, the players in regular player base don't necessarily will all hate the P2W even in NA. Hence why even in NA there are players for blatant P2W games (in China and eastern europe gaming scene these kind of games are so common one can count the ones that are not rather than the opposite), and they may actually have enough players in NA to gain profit still.

When it comes to the competitive gaming scene though in NA and EU as well to an extent, these things that WG wants to call 'Free 2 Win' or whatever they want to call it... is a MANDATORY requirement and has been so since god knows when...

so it's a bit amusing that WG wants to bring a point to it like it's something they just achieved when it's pretty much what everyone outside where WoT came from or China already come to expect for any game that wants to be taken in competitive gaming seriously...

which WoT been trying to enter in western hemisphere for years now with little progress until recently.

wasaabi #13 Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

This Dude Abides

• Senior Moderator
  • 22792 battles
  • [KINGS] KINGS

1)  Premium Tanks
2)  Premium Accounts

If you are good enough to be accepted by a reasonably powerful clan, you can earn enough gold to pay for a premium account, and eventually have enough to pay for a top level premium tank as well.

I would have thought you would know this, being a member of a clan?

Edited by wasaabi, 16 June 2013 - 12:27 AM.

The Dude abides.

Spoiler

Mousey66 #14 Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:53 AM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 26392 battles
  • [MBT] MBT
what about having to be able to convert EXP on Elite Stat tanks to Free EXP with credits rather than Cash. Is that part of the plan?

AoTenjou #15 Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

The First of His Name

• 4558 battles

View PostMousey66, on 16 June 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

what about having to be able to convert EXP on Elite Stat tanks to Free EXP with credits rather than Cash. Is that part of the plan?

Gold gives a speed advantage, nothing else. Being able to get credits and exp quicker is kind of the entire deal behind gold, whether it be free exp, prem accounts or prem tanks.

Converting free exp also doesn't give you l337 DPM or allow you to ammorack everything you hit.

AoTenjou, on , said:

The forum loads, and my poasting begins; It shall not end until my permaban. I shall make no friends, do no meaningful work; Nor form any long-term relationships. I shall wake and sleep by my screen. I am the writer of sarcastic replies. I am the lurker in your threads. I am the defender of stats and their importance. I pledge my social life and economic welfare to the Forum Warriors; For this poast and all the poasts to come.[/quote]

Certified Trusted MemberTM of the "Majority"TM

_PeterPanzer_ #16 Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

Sergeant

• 33198 battles
The fact that this game is NOT pay to win, is one of the main reasons I keep playing, and keep paying.

WhatsThatSmell #17 Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 16032 battles
Lets just hope that WG keep this over time, i don't want to see this game become pay to win, i know im a bit of a wallet warrior myself but still, it would be unfair to all the other players.

Melcyna #18 Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 13559 battles
They probably will keep this new state of non P2W considering their intention to enter into the western competitive gaming circle, since the moment they tread into P2W again like in the past they most likely will be ejected so fast out of the scene like
Posted Image

One of the reason i suspect of why they are trying to enter western competitive gaming scene is because time is running short for them...

In the past WoT had no challenger for player base because it has no competitor, ie: no other game within the same context etc...

But this is about to change in the future as War Thunder will be directly challenging their position soon and it appears to be doing so faster than expected (the ground combat portion of WT wasn't expected to appear until at least another year or 2 when they suddenly dropped the bomb shell with the first images of it a while back), whether they will succeed or not god knows (WT developer are veterans of WW2 aerial combat game but not tank combat so it remains to be seen if they really know how to do a tank combat properly).

Whatever might be the case though, WG most likely have recognized by now that they can't compete against WarThunder directly as their game engine is directly inferior to it.

But they can compete by establishing themselves first in the competitive gaming scene, as it depends more on the player base and how well entrenched they are with the crowd. Which is probably why they are trying really hard to get into it.

lord_commander #19 Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

Corporal

• 10232 battles
I see that people with premium often don't have to worry about credit and be able to load gold rounds (payed by credits) into normal match, which gives them advantage. They also can use gold rounds for events like Art of War though.

Lilwal #20 Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Private

• 4332 battles

1)  Premium Tanks
2)  Premium Accounts

combat advantage was the key to that story....they get nice tanks, extra income and credits ect, but can be met on even field with regular grinded tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users