Jump to content


School me to IS7

IS7 newIS7 tierX

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Ulan1001 #1 Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 17263 battles
  • 70
  • [RATZ] RATZ
  • Member since:
    10-14-2012
Hi i just got my IS7.  For now I am playing it for the 2exp, got unskilled crew for the moment, Im still grinding the 3rd skills from my KV3.  I have not mounted any additional modules, so its basically raw.  This say its past it prime yet a lot of them still playing with this tank.  School me on what i needed to be a force to reckon in the battlefield.  What equipment should I mount?  What skills my crew needed? And whats the best way or tactics to be employed when playing this tank.  
I have played the KV line up to KV3 and the IS line to IS8. Love the KV3 for its toughness and the gun, Love the IS8 for mobility and the gun, both can bounce shots if angle properly. Now how will I play my IS7?

XAssassinoX #2 Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

    Corporal

  • Beta-Tester
  • 17211 battles
  • 94
  • [DADDY] DADDY
  • Member since:
    10-01-2012
first up,  don't play with an untrained crew EVER! train your crew to the IS7 or dont play it!

Basher515 #3 Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Member
  • 15811 battles
  • 349
  • [-DSD-] -DSD-
  • Member since:
    02-01-2013
^ Totally agreed. You'll waste a lot of credits, as you'll be ineffective for your team with an untrained crew.

With the IS-7, you'll lose some mobility as compared to the IS-8, but is compensated by that incredible bouncy frontal and side armor. Most enemies will now try to aim at your lower glacis, so try to hide that all the time. As you've learned from the IS-3, you don't need to angle your IS-7 because of the pike nose it has. However, you can now use the side armor to soak up shells, so you can use reverse peek-a-boo method.

You are a spearhead, able to lead assaults with your good mobility and armor.

You have a powerful gun, but has less RoF and penetration than IS-8's top gun. A damage of over 500+ is now common.

The IS-7 has surprisingly good gun depression for a russian tank. With it's really really tough turret, you can go to some locations and perform a hull down.

Facehugging is also an applicable method for the IS-7. Facehugging will prevent your lower glacis to be shot, making your tank incredibly hard to penetrate. However, only do that if you only have one enemy or you'll simply be surrounded.


That's it for me, I think.

The_Black_Rose #4 Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

    Corporal

  • Beta-Tester
  • 20158 battles
  • 81
  • Member since:
    06-27-2012

View PostBasher515, on 04 August 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

^ Totally agreed. You'll waste a lot of credits, as you'll be ineffective for your team with an untrained crew.

With the IS-7, you'll lose some mobility as compared to the IS-8, but is compensated by that incredible bouncy frontal and side armor. Most enemies will now try to aim at your lower glacis, so try to hide that all the time. As you've learned from the IS-3, you don't need to angle your IS-7 because of the pike nose it has. However, you can now use the side armor to soak up shells, so you can use reverse peek-a-boo method.

You are a spearhead, able to lead assaults with your good mobility and armor.

You have a powerful gun, but has less RoF and penetration than IS-8's top gun. A damage of over 500+ is now common.

The IS-7 has surprisingly good gun depression for a russian tank. With it's really really tough turret, you can go to some locations and perform a hull down.

Facehugging is also an applicable method for the IS-7. Facehugging will prevent your lower glacis to be shot, making your tank incredibly hard to penetrate. However, only do that if you only have one enemy or you'll simply be surrounded.


That's it for me, I think.

Good advice. I thank you to.

Happy Tanking  :smile:

R4Ging #5 Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

    Captain

  • Beta-Tester
  • 24975 battles
  • 1,947
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012
IS-7 is basically a Maus that can accelerate faster and has higher top speed but longer aim times.
just like the Maus:
its heavily armored
it has high alpha but low DPM
it has crappy traverse speed
I would suggest skipping BIA unless you have 4 skills to make room for individual skills (5 crew members means you can make more out of individual skills than with BIA and IS-7 can use some camo/FF increase anyway).
Commander: 6th sense, repair, situational awareness, camo
Gunner: snap shot, repair, armorer, camo
Driver: smooth ride, off-road/clutch breaking (extra overall mobility, or extra traverse), controlled impact + (if you only picked one from O-R and CB) repairs
Loader1: safe stowage, repairs, camo, FF
Loader2: adrenaline rush, repairs, camo, FF
Equipment: V-stab, GLD, Rammer

Edited by R4Ging, 04 August 2013 - 03:23 PM.

I'm not MAD, I'm RAGING. alt account: Medicant_Bias


havoky #6 Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

    Captain

  • Beta-Tester
  • 42980 battles
  • 1,887
  • [EXEC] EXEC
  • Member since:
    07-16-2012
dude there are thousands of post already.. go to ussr vehicle. then heavies. search there for is7's info.. there's good feedback there

                                                                    

 

                                                                                   Its good to be mean, nobody bothers you with their shit


Death2846 #7 Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 21279 battles
  • 2,994
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

View PostR4Ging, on 04 August 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

IS-7 is basically a Maus that can accelerate faster and has higher top speed but longer aim times.
just like the Maus:
its heavily armored
it has high alpha but low DPM
it has crappy traverse speed
I would suggest skipping BIA unless you have 4 skills to make room for individual skills (5 crew members means you can make more out of individual skills than with BIA and IS-7 can use some camo/FF increase anyway).
Commander: 6th sense, repair, situational awareness, camo
Gunner: snap shot, repair, armorer, camo
Driver: smooth ride, off-road/clutch breaking (extra overall mobility, or extra traverse), controlled impact + (if you only picked one from O-R and CB) repairs
Loader1: safe stowage, repairs, camo, FF
Loader2: adrenaline rush, repairs, camo, FF
Equipment: V-stab, GLD, Rammer
You do mean the E-100, don't you.
The Maus has an average alpha damage while the E-100 has a huge alpha.
@Ulan
Get camo, but Situational Awareness is better for view range.
A quick overview in the spoiler:
Spoiler                     
Well I hope this helps  :)

Edited by Death2846, 04 August 2013 - 05:20 PM.


Ulan1001 #8 Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 17263 battles
  • 70
  • [RATZ] RATZ
  • Member since:
    10-14-2012

View PostBasher515, on 04 August 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

^ Totally agreed. You'll waste a lot of credits, as you'll be ineffective for your team with an untrained crew.
With the IS-7, you'll lose some mobility as compared to the IS-8, but is compensated by that incredible bouncy frontal and side armor. Most enemies will now try to aim at your lower glacis, so try to hide that all the time. As you've learned from the IS-3, you don't need to angle your IS-7 because of the pike nose it has. However, you can now use the side armor to soak up shells, so you can use reverse peek-a-boo method.
You are a spearhead, able to lead assaults with your good mobility and armor.
You have a powerful gun, but has less RoF and penetration than IS-8's top gun. A damage of over 500+ is now common.
The IS-7 has surprisingly good gun depression for a russian tank. With it's really really tough turret, you can go to some locations and perform a hull down.
Facehugging is also an applicable method for the IS-7. Facehugging will prevent your lower glacis to be shot, making your tank incredibly hard to penetrate. However, only do that if you only have one enemy or you'll simply be surrounded.
That's it for me, I think.

View PostBasher515, on 04 August 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

  Thanks for the input i will keep that in mind.

Edited by Ulan1001, 04 August 2013 - 05:18 PM.


R4Ging #9 Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

    Captain

  • Beta-Tester
  • 24975 battles
  • 1,947
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View PostDeath2846, on 04 August 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

You do mean the E-100, don't you.
The Maus has an average alpha damage while the E-100 has a huge alpha.
IS-7 have the same alpha as Maus, not E-100.
and no, Maus/IS-7 has above average alpha.
average alpha (for tier X) is 440~390.
low alpha is 320.
high alpha is 490~750.
well, for heavies at least.

Edited by R4Ging, 04 August 2013 - 05:24 PM.

I'm not MAD, I'm RAGING. alt account: Medicant_Bias


Nikolai_Mikoyan #10 Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Member
  • 11384 battles
  • 622
  • Member since:
    03-23-2013
First of all, I'd suggest you transfer whatever crew you have in an IS-8 and/or any soviet tank that has most skilled crew (the more secondary qualification the better), gold-train them to 100 percent, then if necessary, gold-drop their secondary qualification to the followings;.

First Row:
- All position: Brother in Arms. Hands Down.

Second Row:
- Commander: Sixth Sense (this helps you to know that you are spotted and thus seek cover and exercise cautions, being a tier 10 means that you are pretty much targeted by everyone)
- Gunner: I prefer Deadeye (for doing module damage and crew injuries is sure a good plus) but Snapshot is another viable option (it's pretty much like a Mini-Stabilizer)
- Driver: any Driver-Specific skill is fine, I think. You can use Smoothride for better on-the-move accuracy (If you like to fire on the move), you can use Off-Road Driving to compensate for the IS-7 bad terrain passability, the same reason for Clutch Braking.
- The two Loaders: You can have one of them learn Safe Stowage (I'm not sure if the ammo rack on the IS-7 is as fragile as that of the IS-3, but just to not leave anything to chance) and another loader learn Repair (honestly, almost all Loader-Specific skills are pointless) or you may have him learn Adrenaline Rush (though I'm not so sure if it's gonna be of any use)

Third Row
- Commander: I'd recommend Recon or Situation Awareness for better view range. Those two skills have just the same effect. Or you can just simply learn Repair.
- Gunner: if you haven't already learn Snapshot in the second row, it's not a waste to learn it now, but if you already did, don't instead pick Deadeye, as it's gonna take long until it come into effect, instead, I'd recommend Repair.
- Driver: Any Driver-Specific skill is fine, repair is fine too
- The two Loaders: Repair is now a must (as other Loader-Specific skills are just plain useless)

Equipment
- Simple. Vent, Stabilizer, and Rammer

HarD24GeT #11 Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

    Sergeant

  • Beta-Tester
  • 11466 battles
  • 126
  • Member since:
    07-01-2012
Just be careful with side scraping because you will still get damage by HE shells, specially from TD's.

R4Ging #12 Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

    Captain

  • Beta-Tester
  • 24975 battles
  • 1,947
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View PostNikolai_Mikoyan, on 09 August 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

First of all, I'd suggest you transfer whatever crew you have in an IS-8 and/or any soviet tank that has most skilled crew (the more secondary qualification the better), gold-train them to 100 percent, then if necessary, gold-drop their secondary qualification to the followings;.
I disagree with everything this guy posted except that^ part.

first of all, BIA is not really much of a good skill for IS-7 due to the fact that it has a lot of crew members (individual skills give better bonus), and the fact that its a small fast heavy with very long aim time - you really will want to get skills like snap shot, smooth ride (for the aim time), off-road, controlled impact (since its a fast heavy), repairs, armorer (since you are a heavy tank), sixth sense, camo (since its small).

and V-stab don't cut it for IS-7, you will have to pick GLD/Spall over the vents - I chose GLD because you will be shooting other tanks more (with that horrible aim time) than ramming or getting hit by HE.

I'm not MAD, I'm RAGING. alt account: Medicant_Bias


Duncs #13 Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Beta-Tester
  • 13567 battles
  • 725
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    07-20-2012

View Postoel0505, on 11 August 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Just be careful with side scraping because you will still get damage by HE shells, specially from TD's.
Who on earth uses HE in TD's at tier 10? (FV215B 183 HESH excluded)

Ezz #14 Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

    How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

  • Beta-Tester
  • 69137 battles
  • 36,204
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    07-17-2012

View PostNikolai_Mikoyan, on 09 August 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Equipment
- Simple. Vent, Stabilizer, and Rammer
As always Vstab and rammer are a no-brainer, but consider swapping in either GLD or optics for the vents. Optics come into their own in pubs where you'll be doing more by yourself. Vents or GLD tend to help more when you have a somewhat decent team around you - eg CW.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"


Brotherlon3 #15 Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 19284 battles
  • 3,735
  • [AUSE] AUSE
  • Member since:
    04-11-2012
never angle your frontal armor. and you are most vulnerable if your enemy approaches you from a 45 degrees angle.

Coastal0 #16 Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

    Sergeant

  • Beta-Tester
  • 13606 battles
  • 132
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    09-15-2012

View PostR4Ging, on 11 August 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I disagree with everything this guy posted except that^ part.

first of all, BIA is not really much of a good skill for IS-7 due to the fact that it has a lot of crew members (individual skills give better bonus), and the fact that its a small fast heavy with very long aim time - you really will want to get skills like snap shot, smooth ride (for the aim time), off-road, controlled impact (since its a fast heavy), repairs, armorer (since you are a heavy tank), sixth sense, camo (since its small).

and V-stab don't cut it for IS-7, you will have to pick GLD/Spall over the vents - I chose GLD because you will be shooting other tanks more (with that horrible aim time) than ramming or getting hit by HE.

Damnit.

I just retrained my crew for BIA/etc.

How often do you find yourself ramming with IS7?

HarD24GeT #17 Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

    Sergeant

  • Beta-Tester
  • 11466 battles
  • 126
  • Member since:
    07-01-2012

View PostAtreides, on 12 August 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Who on earth uses HE in TD's at tier 10? (FV215B 183 HESH excluded)

Some do, I see 268 shooting HE's at IS-7 doing a sidescraping and did 816 damage.

Nikolai_Mikoyan #18 Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Member
  • 11384 battles
  • 622
  • Member since:
    03-23-2013

View PostR4Ging, on 11 August 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:



BIA is not really much of a good skill for IS-7 due to the fact that it has a lot of crew members (individual skills give better bonus), and the fact that its a small fast heavy with very long aim time - you really will want to get skills like snap shot, smooth ride (for the aim time), off-road, controlled impact (since its a fast heavy), repairs, armorer (since you are a heavy tank), sixth sense, camo (since its small).

and V-stab don't cut it for IS-7, you will have to pick GLD/Spall over the vents - I chose GLD because you will be shooting other tanks more (with that horrible aim time) than ramming or getting hit by HE.

I believe we have different in opinion here, and I therefore need a clearer explanation to those I have made in bold letters.

First of all, I don't see the connection between the fact the IS-7 is a fast heavy with long aim time and a lot of crew and the lack of need for the +5% skill level given by BiA, please explain.

Also, I'm not quite clear about that 'individual skill give better bonus' part, could you please explain that as well?

secondly, the skill layout you pick look kinda awkward. I mean, Controlled Impact? Seriously, how often are you going to ram with that thing? Armorer? Again, I don't find that my IS-7 got its gun knocked out or damaged that much, so I'm quite negative on this one. Camo? Yeah, the IS-7 is small FOR A HEAVY TANK, but its size is still cumbersome, so I don't think there is a need for it, unless, of course, one plan to use the IS-7 to camp behind bushes, which is the absolute opposite to how I play them.

As for the equipment, yes, GLD is a good piece of equipment when you're not moving much, then again, my playstyle doesn't allow much time for me to stay stationary.

View PostEzz, on 12 August 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

As always Vstab and rammer are a no-brainer, but consider swapping in either GLD or optics for the vents. Optics come into their own in pubs where you'll be doing more by yourself. Vents or GLD tend to help more when you have a somewhat decent team around you - eg CW.

I don't believe any of these are a no-brainer, it's just a matter of choice. I am always for the Vstab over the GLD anyday, people may have different opinions, though.

Ezz #19 Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

    How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

  • Beta-Tester
  • 69137 battles
  • 36,204
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    07-17-2012

View PostNikolai_Mikoyan, on 14 August 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

I don't believe any of these are a no-brainer, it's just a matter of choice. I am always for the Vstab over the GLD anyday, people may have different opinions, though.
If people didn't have other opinions then no one would be wrong. It would be even more dull around here.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"


xenxcrixa #20 Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 18137 battles
  • 1,075
  • Member since:
    11-27-2012
Currently using Toolbox, Rammer and Camouflage Net on my IS7.  :trollface:
Stock Equipment is better than none.
The Hungry Rabbit Jumps.




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users