School me to IS7

IS7 newIS7 tierX

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Bartlett #21 Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 21654 battles
Controlled impact only works if the target you hit is stationary (so IMHO its not very useful) also its not the tanks speed which makes a tank good for ramming its the weight that matters most (and IS7 never struck me as overly hefty). Personally I pick Dead eye over armourer as well and for a HT you probably want full repairs on each crew member.

Ezz #22 Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 68260 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostBartlett, on 14 August 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Controlled impact only works if the target you hit is stationary (so IMHO its not very useful) also its not the tanks speed which makes a tank good for ramming its the weight that matters most (and IS7 never struck me as overly hefty). Personally I pick Dead eye over armourer as well and for a HT you probably want full repairs on each crew member.
"The Controlled Impact Skill enables the Driver to decreases damage caused by ramming to your vehicle and increase the damage caused by ramming if your vehicle provided that your vehicle is in motion at the moment of impact."

If the wiki is to be believed (and sorry, i haven't empirically tested this) it doesn't matter if the 'target' is moving or stationary, only that you are moving.

As to the IS7 as a rammer - it's useful if you have a down hill and light weight below you, but beyond that it's not a great option. Of course i ram at every opportunity in all tanks, but that's down to this compulsion i have...

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

R4Ging #23 Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 24975 battles

View PostNikolai_Mikoyan, on 14 August 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

First of all, I don't see the connection between the fact the IS-7 is a fast heavy with long aim time and a lot of crew and the lack of need for the +5% skill level given by BiA
Also, I'm not quite clear about that 'individual skill give better bonus' part, could you please explain that as well?
Controlled Impact?
Armorer?
Camo?
GLD is a good piece of equipment when you're not moving much
I am always for the Vstab over the GLD anyday
I never said the IS-7 lack the need for a +5% crew performance. what I said is that the IS-7 crew would be better off with individual skills than with BIA (imo) because "individual skills may give better bonus".
IS-7 has 5 crew members in it (2 of them are just loaders though), so it is very much arguable whether BIA will do better than individual skills.
controlled impact is more of a random battle skill and is one to be considered only if you use your tank for ramming, so don't ask me about this, ask yourself whether you will abuse it or not - which is why I said only get it if you didn't get both off-road driving and clutch breaking (and imo, you should take both instead of only one + controlled impact).
armorer because the IS-7 is a heavy tank with really good turret armor - I'm sure you'd rather use that repair kit for ammo rack/tracks/engine and all that instead of the gun.
camo, you seriously asking about this ? its like a final option (only get it when you already have no better skills available), not a recommended first skill or something. besides, good players can abuse every bit of camo. if you can't, then its your problem.
GLD when you're not moving much ? really ? so if you're just sitting there you want every bit of aim time reduction but if you move a lot its fine if you have a very long aim time ? good logic.
V-stab over GLD is a no-brainer. why else do you think all tanks are allowed to use GLD but not V-stab - hint: V-stab is made to give better bonus than GLD.

Edited by R4Ging, 14 August 2013 - 02:03 PM.

I'm not MAD, I'm RAGING. alt account: Medicant_Bias

Nikolai_Mikoyan #24 Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

First lieutenant

• 11384 battles

View PostR4Ging, on 14 August 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I never said the IS-7 lack the need for a +5% crew performance. what I said is that the IS-7 crew would be better off with individual skills than with BIA (imo) because "individual skills may give better bonus".
IS-7 has 5 crew members in it (2 of them are just loaders though), so it is very much arguable whether BIA will do better than individual skills.
controlled impact is more of a random battle skill and is one to be considered only if you use your tank for ramming, so don't ask me about this, ask yourself whether you will abuse it or not - which is why I said only get it if you didn't get both off-road driving and clutch breaking (and imo, you should take both instead of only one + controlled impact).
armorer because the IS-7 is a heavy tank with really good turret armor - I'm sure you'd rather use that repair kit for ammo rack/tracks/engine and all that instead of the gun.
camo, you seriously asking about this ? its like a final option (only get it when you already have no better skills available), not a recommended first skill or something. besides, good players can abuse every bit of camo. if you can't, then its your problem.
GLD when you're not moving much ? really ? so if you're just sitting there you want every bit of aim time reduction but if you move a lot its fine if you have a very long aim time ? good logic.
V-stab over GLD is a no-brainer. why else do you think all tanks are allowed to use GLD but not V-stab - hint: V-stab is made to give better bonus than GLD.

Okay, that's pretty much clearer. Thank you

Here are my thoughts on the V-Stab, though. So correct me if my understanding was wrong.

The V-Stab reduces the maximum dispersion amount of the gun when a tank is moving and/or turning its turret, (I'm not sure if it reduce the maximum size to which the aiming reticle can grow or reduce the rate at which the reticle is expanding, though)

Doesn't this consequently lead to a lower aim time as well?

I've never even considered using a GLD for my tier 8 and upper tanks, so I don't know which one generates better aimtime, please advise

Ezz #25 Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 68260 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostNikolai_Mikoyan, on 14 August 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

The V-Stab reduces the maximum dispersion amount of the gun when a tank is moving and/or turning its turret, (I'm not sure if it reduce the maximum size to which the aiming reticle can grow or reduce the rate at which the reticle is expanding, though)

Doesn't this consequently lead to a lower aim time as well?

I've never even considered using a GLD for my tier 8 and upper tanks, so I don't know which one generates better aimtime, please advise
The Vstab reduces total aim time by reducing the starting reticle. The rate at which the reticle closes may not be quite as high, but the reduced starting point means that you'll reach final aim quicker. In other words it's a better solution.

If anything you may want to add GLD in addition to a vstab, but never as a substitution.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Fer_de_Lance #26 Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 27364 battles
IS7 was the first tier 10 heavy I got and now just starting their 5th skill.........

Commander - BIA, Sixth Sense, Camo, Repairs, Fire Fighting
Gunner - BIA, Deadeye, Camo, Repairs, Fire Fighting
Driver - BIA, Off-Road, Preventitive Maintenance, Clutch Braking, Repairs
Loader 1 - BIA, Adrenulin Rush, Safe Stowage, Camo, Repairs
Loader 2 - BIA, Signal Boosting, Relaying, Camo, Repairs

I am thinking of reseting the skills next time it's on offer at 100 gold as have been thinking about getting rid of the auto fire extinguisher in favour of the lease end oil (+5% horse power) and having more fire fighting skills as have got the preventitive maintance skill too and the chance of fire is only 15% on the IS7 anyhow........hmmmm.

I like the signal boosting (+20%) and relaying (+10% to all others signal range) as you never lose track of anything that's going on, can pretty much see everything.

As for equipment, run a rammer, vents and GLD. I always run a vert stab on mediums if possible, especially if running around a lot but sometimes pass on them with heavies (have a set on the T57 Heavy though). Also, with the recent accuracy buff then I reckon you can live without them on heavies these days.........even if they remain popular with many as it helps those who like to play 'peek-a-boo' etc.  

To be honest, I've been considering, and testing, the enhanced springs on a few different tanks these days, as since the last patch with the introduction of XP bonuses for de-tracking a tank and then collecting the 'assist' bonuses, there are many people now trying, and succeeding in, blowing your tracks off all the time......which can be annoying somewhat. However, jury is still out on a permament switch for now but they certainly make it much harder to get de-tracked and that is very useful on a tank that needs to keep moving to stay alive.

Ezz #27 Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 68260 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostSir_Dude, on 14 August 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

I like the signal boosting (+20%) and relaying (+10% to all others signal range) as you never lose track of anything that's going on, can pretty much see everything.

As for equipment, run a rammer, vents and GLD. I always run a vert stab on mediums if possible, especially if running around a lot but sometimes pass on them with heavies (have a set on the T57 Heavy though). Also, with the recent accuracy buff then I reckon you can live without them on heavies these days.........even if they remain popular with many as it helps those who like to play 'peek-a-boo' etc.
If i were you i'd read the wiki section on how radios work as well as doing some research on why vstabs are a must over GLDs.

Fer_de_Lance #28 Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 27364 battles
Well Mr. Ezz, I believe I only said that I like the signal boosting and relaying skills as the difference is noticable, perhaps 'never' was a slightly overly strong adverb of frequency/time to use and might possibly have used 'less likely to' instead. Doesn't mean I haven't read said sections of WIKI.

As for equipment, it's all a personal trade-off and I, like many others too probably, do what all good pragmatists do.........which is compromise. Such a shame we can't have that fourth slot for equipment.....lol

Ezz #29 Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 68260 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Given the signal ranges of upper tier tanks, how often would you feel those boosts would be noticeable?

As to the GLD, if you are happy to compromise the time it takes for you to aim, then that is your choice. For everyone else, remember to pick vvstab first, and potentially a GLD in addition.

Fer_de_Lance #30 Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 27364 battles
Don't get me wrong, not knocking the vert stabs, but when you hover your mouse cursor over them in the equipment selection on a tank then the info window that pops up says it's +20% to accuracy when the vehicle is moving or the turret is in rotation.....so I'm guessing that that means if you are stationary and firing then there is no affect. Whereas, a GLD works under any condition.

Is this correct?

I see the usefulness of them in many situations and use them on some of my tanks.....just not all. Also, they are also always so darned expensive to buy too.

Ezz #31 Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 68260 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
How many tanks that can mount both have a reload faster than their aim time?

Fer_de_Lance #32 Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 27364 battles
OK, fair enough.....cheers. I see what you mean......just so many different choices.

Edited by Sir_Dude, 14 August 2013 - 04:26 PM.

Nikolai_Mikoyan #33 Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

First lieutenant

• 11384 battles

View PostSir_Dude, on 14 August 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong, not knocking the vert stabs, but when you hover your mouse cursor over them in the equipment selection on a tank then the info window that pops up says it's +20% to accuracy when the vehicle is moving or the turret is in rotation.....so I'm guessing that that means if you are stationary and firing then there is no affect. Whereas, a GLD works under any condition.

Is this correct?

I see the usefulness of them in many situations and use them on some of my tanks.....just not all. Also, they are also always so darned expensive to buy too.

If my understanding is correct, the V-Stab works when your tank is moving and/or rotating the turret by, as Mr. Ezz said, reducing the starting size of the aiming reticle (not sure if it also reduce the rate at which the reticle go bigger, though) that said, it is in effect almost all the time even though your hull is stationary but you rotate your turret to acquire target, only when you are dialing in onto the target that it doesn't have the effect.

The GLD, on the other hand, is in effect when you are dialing in onto the target by increasing the speed at which your aiming reticle shrink to its minimum size, in order to do that, your hull must be stationary and the turret doesn't turn too fast

@Ezz
I've noted your opinion, thank you. I now agree to give it a try; tonight I'm gonna remove the rammer and try the V-Stab+GLD combo and see if I am satisfied with the reduced aiming time and increased loading time.

Ezz #34 Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 68260 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostNikolai_Mikoyan, on 14 August 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

@Ezz
I've noted your opinion,
It's not even an opinion - it can be demonstrated both empirically and in game.

As to prioritising a GLD over a rammer, i think most would be going for that faster reload, and dropping the third (presumably vents / optics).

Ie run with one of...

vstab, rammer, optics
vstab, rammer, vents
vstab, rammer, GLD

But again, then it does come down to personal preference. I find GLDs become more viable for aim times over 3s - so for the IS7 they may be worth adding as that third option.

Nikolai_Mikoyan #35 Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

First lieutenant

• 11384 battles
mmm, the same advice comes from my friend as well

"Bro, DONT. DEMOUNT. THE RAMMER"

now the only part of the equipment left is the Vent.... and I've become reluctant, so I didn't do anything last night.

Allow me to confirm this, does the effect of Vent stacks with that of BiA? if not, which one provided more bonus?

xenxcrixa #36 Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Captain

• 18137 battles

View PostNikolai_Mikoyan, on 15 August 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Allow me to confirm this, does the effect of Vent stacks with that of BiA? if not, which one provided more bonus?
Yes if I'm not mistaken.
The Hungry Rabbit Jumps.

Ezz #37 Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 68260 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

They are both theoretically 5% to crew - which translates to about 2.2% gains to things like view range, reload etc.. They do stack.

I tend to re skill for BIA once i have 3 or 4 skills.
Vents dependent on the tank and use. Some tanks simply don't have better equipment options so vents are viable.

R4Ging #38 Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 24975 battles

same effect.

but if what I read was right, having both vents and BIA equates to +10% on commander and +11% to the rest of the crew (because of commander bonus) while having only one of the two means +5% to every member - I think the decimals are also calculated though so if you only get one of the two, its 5% to commander and 5.5% to the rest of the crew.

I'm not MAD, I'm RAGING. alt account: Medicant_Bias

HarD24GeT #39 Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 11466 battles
I use Vertical Stabilizer, GLD and Rammer.

ArmoredDodoy #40 Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

Corporal

• 18425 battles
I use vstab rammer and vents since your always moving vstab is needed.. a stationary IS7 is a dead IS7 :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users