History Feature: Let History Unfold!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Valyria #1 Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles
We bid you welcome to our latest history project! Come now, all ye history enthusiasts!

Full news text

name_violation2000004474 #2 Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 30590 battles
  • [CLAW] CLAW
Tank History 101

Benjamin Holt of the Holt Manufacturing Company of Stockton, California was the first to patent a workable crawler type tractor in 1907. The center of such innovation was in England, and in 1903 he traveled to England to learn more about ongoing development, though all those he saw failed their field tests. Holt paid Alvin Lombard US$60,000 ($1,552,000 in 2012) for the right to produce vehicles under Lombard's patent for the Lombard Steam Log Hauler.

Holt returned to Stockton and, utilizing his knowledge and his company's metallurgical capabilities, he became the first to design and manufacture practical continuous tracks for use in tractors. In England, David Roberts of Hornsby & Sons, Grantham, obtained a patent for a design in July 1904, In the United States, Holt replaced the wheels on a 40 horsepower (30 kW) Holt steamer, No. 77, with a set of wooden tracks bolted to chains. On November 24, 1904, he successfully tested the updated machine plowing the soggy delta land of Roberts Island.
A Holt tractor in the Vosges during the spring of 1915 serving as an Artillery tractor for the French army.

When World War I broke out, with the problem of trench warfare and the difficulty of transporting supplies to the front, the pulling power of crawling-type tractors drew the attention of the military. Holt tractors were used to replace horses to haul artillery and other supplies. The Quartermaster Corps also used them to haul long trains of freight wagons over the unimproved dirt tracks behind the front. Holt tractors were, ultimately, the inspiration for the development of the British and French tanks. By 1916, about 1000 of Holt's Caterpillar tractors were used by the British in World War I. Holt vice president Murray M. Baker said that these tractors weighed about 18,000 pounds (8,200 kg) and had 120 horsepower (89 kW). By the end of the war, 10,000 Holt vehicles had been used in the Allied war effort.

Fully tracked caterpillar tractors became commercially available in 1908, especially in the United States, but also in lesser quantities in Europe, and were to prove a solution to the cross-country requirements of World War I battlefields. Over the next four years, they became a major artillery tractor, mainly used to haul medium guns like the 6-inch howitzer, the 60-pounder, and later the 9.2-inch howitzer.

By 1916, about 1,000 of Holt's Caterpillar tractors were in use by the British on the Western Front. By the end of World War I, the British War Office had received 2,100 Holt tractors, about 1,800 of the Holt Model 45 "Caterpillars"; 1,500 of the Holt Model 75 "Caterpillars", and 90 of the Holt six-cylinder Model 120 "Caterpillars", about one-eighth of approximately 5,000 Holt vehicles used by all Allied forces. Holt tractors built under license in Austria and obtained by the Germans formed the basis of the German A7V tank and were also the inspiration behind Renault tanks.

x_GaRRuK_x #3 Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

Planeswalker

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 47503 battles
  • [-ONE-] -ONE-

View PostThOrJaCk, on 05 April 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

Tank History 101

You know Tank history well my friend, thanks for the Lesson.
err....
By 1990's skate boarders roam the streets of Manila

<:)

The Sky is Blue

AmazingSpiderman #4 Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 2326 battles
Other articles of the said encounter that were apparently published in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Chicago Tribune all noted that General Douglas MacArthur gave lavish praise to the Igorot soldiers for their bravery. He grave credit to these soldiers for having "completely annihilated" a Japanese regiment. While recounting the story of the battle to an assembly of his officers, Gen. MacArthur was quoted as saying:

"Hampered by the dense undergrowth and lost in the confusing maze of bamboo thickets, vines, and creepers, the tankers would have been impotent had it not been for the aid of the Igorot troops of 2nd Battalion, 11th Infantry. Hoisted to the top of the tanks where they were exposed to the fire of the enemy, these courageous tribesmen from north Luzon chopped away the entangling foliage with their bolos and served as eyes for the American tankers. From their position atop the tanks they fired at the enemy with pistols while guiding the drivers with sticks." xxx

"Many desperate acts of courage and heroism have fallen under my observation on many fields of battle in many parts of the world. I have seen forlorn hopes become realities. I have seen last-ditch stands, and innumerable acts of personal heroism that defy description. But for sheer breathtaking and heart-stopping desperation, I have never know the equal of those Igorots riding the tanks. Gentlemen, when you tell the story, stand in tribute to those gallant Igorots. As members of the Philippine commonwealth, they have proved to be excellent fighting men."

http://news.google.c...frontpage&hl=en

Edited by Tipaklong, 03 July 2012 - 01:23 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users