A thank you, and an early bidding farewell

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

ArmsAndLegsGuy #1 Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Private

• 4565 battles
  • [PANZR] PANZR

POPULAR

This post will be a bit long, a bit emotional, a bit personal and very sincere. But on the plus side, it will contain video footage of Ola dancing. You have been warned.

A short backstory - As some of you might know, I have been moderating during closed beta before NA/EU, on EU and NA after the release, and now here. That is a timespan of more than 3 years. I started playing sometime around July 2010 during the closed beta, and became a community contributor Moderator and Translator during that time. During the 3+ years I have had the pleasure of meeting a lot of people online, members of the community and staff alike, both in battles, chatting in the garage, on the Skype channels, and on the forums. Some of these people you might know from blogs, like Overlord and Vallter, from Videos, like the bubbly and beautifull Ola, from this server, like Tanitha and KaZanova, and some of them you might never have heard about. 

This post is a personal thank you to all these people, AND a personal thank you to all the members of the world wide World of Tanks community I've been fortunate enough to have had contact with over the last 3 years. (Yes, it also includes those who I have banned on all three servers over time ;) .)

Well, on with the back story : Shortly after release on NA/EU, around April 2011, I was diagnosed with cancer in the stomach, and after a chemotheraphy and radiation session, followed by a surgical procedure which left me offline for the better part of May and June 2011, I thought I had beaten that.

During my absence from WoT, the Support staff, Community staff and Developers in Minsk, and the Moderators on the EU server where I was one of the Lead Super Moderators, took the time to send me a 4 page letter with greetings and well wishes from all those I had been in contact with. People high and low in WG, players and community contributors  were genuinely worried about me and my battle with the Big C.

This show of support, I believe truely helped me on my way to recovery back then. It also showed me, that the people making up the company, are people with heart, empathy, and the ability to care.

Something that IMHO has been reaffirmed time and time, not just in my case, but in their general attitude towards the members of the World Of Tanks community. This goes for the community as well - Dispite different nationalities, ages, backgrounds and cultures, everybody in general are here to have fun, to enjoy the Corps d'Esprit that exists among the players of the game while playing the game. 

Even though the community rages at times against WG as an entity, as well as against fellow members of the player community we belong to, please remember that the people representing WG, which you come into contact with really DO care about you, as players, as members of the community, and as human beings. And that the fellow members of the player community really are here for the same reason as you : To play and have fun..

Now you may wonder - Why is he babbling about this, and where is that video with Ola - All in good time, all in good time.

This summer, I started to fall ill again. I have been through another round of chemotheraphy and radiation sessions, but alas they didn't have the desired effect. Unfortunately there is no possibility for a surgical procedure this time. A couple of weeks ago, the verdict was final, and the only option the doctors have for me is pallative care, to ease whatever pain there is laying ahead of me. The expectancy given was 3-5 months.

This has given me time to get my stuff in order, and the chance to do some of the stuff I have on my bucket list. Stuff that mainly involves my closest family - enjoying what time there is left, with quality time, travel and experiences, as well as trying to express my gratitude to those I have been fortunate to have been influenced by and whom I hopefully have influenced myself. This involves, as you might gather from my babblings above, the people in WG across EU, NA and here on ASIA, but also you, my fellow members of the player community.

When I told Tanitha, whom I have worked with across 3 servers now, and who have become a good friend even though we never have met face to face, things I never expected got set in motion.
Ola, whom I have known since she worked in support at Minsk HQ, and allways teased that she should dye her hair red (I am preferential to redheads, being married to one), actually dyed her hair red for me.

Overlord contacted me, and said he would try and get one of my crazy babblings from back in 2011 implemented, in case I didnt make it - an easteregg with my ingame name (AALG or ArmsAndLegsGuy), placed somewhere on a map in the game.

Motherhen WG NA (JewelThief), compiled a "carepackage", which included homebaked cookies, personal gifts and various WG merchandise, and got that shipped off from San Francisco here to Copenhagen where I reside. Unfortunately, due to the combined tardiness of the U.S Postal Service and the Royal Danish Mail, it hasn't arrived in time for Christmas, but just the knowledge that they went through that effort, brought tears to my eyes.

What prompted me to this post, and which really blew my gasket, including making me cry for a full hour, was when this video popped up in my inbox yesterday :

Again, IMHO it shows that the people that works for WG have a lot of heart, and that shines through in the whole philosophy of the company - They give back where they can (examples are multiple - donation drives for vets and relief organisations, support for excavating and salvaging wartime icons for posterity, etc etc etc).

So to you guys I have the following to say :

Mods, GM's, CM's, IM's, Devs, and everybody I have been in contact with over the years at WG, are absolutely awesome. Thank you for having enriched my life for the last 3½ years now.

You lot showing how much you all care, and the support you are giving me - I can not tell you how much it means to me, and how touched I am by your empathy and sympathy.

Just know that I am forever thankfull for having had the chance of having you guys in my life, and being part of the WG WoT experience.

I won't single anyone out specially, just saying that you all prove that WG is a company comprised by people with heart, and not just a big corporate entity just interested in the profit line.

YOU guys are what makes WG a great company, Your attitude towards your players, community contributers, and colleagues, is what defines the company.

I am honoured, having had the chance to be a part of it.

To my fellow members of the player community, thank you as well, for all the laughs, the battles in game, the "fights" in the chats and on the forums. Allways remember that there are human beings behind each nickname on the forums, and in game, that they are all part of YOUR community, and that at the end of the day, everybody are here for the same reason : To enjoy the game, and get the most fun out of playing it.

Now with the emotional part done, and the promised video showing Ola dancing, don't think that just because I am saying my goodbyes early, that I will be soft on the forums or in the chat. As long as I have the energy for it, I will be playing and moderating here on the ASIA server, but as things go with this illness, health status changes PDQ, and I just wont be online.

Also, when I have passed away, just be aware, that if you don't behave on the forums or in the game, I will then have the ability to get up from down below (yes, I will be going downstairs, I am a Moderator afterall), and haunt your accounts as a deux ex machina, ensuring that the "Jinxed and Spooked" flag will be forever set.

Babling over, comments on Ola's dancing abilities are wellcome
/AALG/ArmsAndLegsGuy/J.D.

Politx_killer #2 Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Loard of Luck™

• Beta-Tester
  • 40661 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

All the best mate, cancer is a prick of a disease and im sure there isnt anyone who isnt affected by its curse. Much respect from me and im sure the whole community.

regards Polli o7

Forever duelling with pistols for Reaps hat collection.

Also just for Feet

Lockhart77 #3 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 15520 battles
  • [FLEX] FLEX

Best of luck AALG, despite your trolling attempts (that sometimes eeekay) you're a fine guy. Apology if I ever offended you (which may happen once)

Please tell other mods to give me a warning before banning me

:P

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌ 
                                                                                                ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
                                                                                                ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
                                                                                                ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀   

Lock "Choco-chon" Hart of the Choco-Choco Hearts Host Club

WhatsThatSmell #4 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 15656 battles
  • [-7-] -7-
While i haven't yet had it myself cancer runs deep in my family so i am familiar to how horrible it can be, not just for the person, but also for the people close to them, while we aren't really that close i still hope you recover well and get back to tanking and modding soon bud :honoring: 

hobotato #5 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 13568 battles
  • [RPS] RPS
much respect. fight on :honoring:

Scott_Free finally got his bukkake udon

Mcmole #6 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

S-Club 7

• Beta-Tester
  • 29049 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

For the very short time i have gotten to know you (Not even a full year) I have and do love your bubbly up-beat trolly personality, And if all does go horribly wrong I will miss you. From just coming out of chemo and out of bone marrow transplant myself I can imagine how you feel, And its not a pretty sight.

I can only hope and pray you get better soon mate, And just so you know. I was given a 15% chance of surviving cancer, And im still around. I hope you will stick around for a little longer too.

You have truly touched many of our lives. (Some in worse ways then others) {Banning people} But I still think if you asked anyone that has had the pleasure to talk to you more then 2 mins they would agree you are a stand up guy.

I wish you all the best.

Your Friend

~Mcmole

History is a set of lies agreed upon.

~Napoleon Bonaparte

Spoiler

Flying_Endeavor #7 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Captain

• Forum Moderator
  • 31041 battles
  • [FLUKE] FLUKE
Get better soon, you have the support of the entire World of tanks Community behind you. :honoring:

Mascot, CNC-Universe of Deviantart. Deviantart username: WorldofTanks 

Madiba127 #8 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Senior Moderator
  • 2278 battles
  • [1EC] 1EC

You have my Respect mate and i wish you the best in the time you have left but here's hopping you beat expectations and pull though

Your a great guy and will surely be missed which means we have to make the most of having you around

Madiba :honoring:

Chappo #9 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

It's kinda warm in these rhinos

• Senior Moderator
  • 18051 battles
  • [PANZA] PANZA

Everytime I kill steal I will always think of you my friend. Hope we can plat for another few more months yet...

PS - ola is purdy

Spoiler

Stompya #10 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 16094 battles
:honoring:

amade #11 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Benign Troll

• Forum Moderator
  • 2015 battles

Can I haz ur Pz II J?

Yes, I know, that was in poor taste. But I don't get to mess with you very often and I fear that might be the last time. I shall remember you by paying my respects at the easter egg that will hopefully be added in.

dropjumper31652 #12 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 12936 battles
Although I don't know you (A little because you're a mod :tongue:), I wish you the best and I hope you get better. Remember, your second family is the World of Tanks Community. Hope you get well soon! :smile::honoring:

ChaosGhost #13 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Major

• In-Training Moderator
  • 19970 battles
  • [WGFP] WGFP

We've known each other only a short time, but I've always admired your style (as a troll, a mod, a trolling mod, and a person) and I hope to be able to be like half as good a moderator/troll/person as you are... I really don't know what else to say, except "Wow, that Ola!"

I'll miss you dammit

Seta Sojiro

"The strong live and the weak die -- That's the truth Mr. Shishio taught me. But is being weak really that bad? I'd killed people, but killing people wasn't... really wasn't what I wanted to do. That's right; I was smiling in the rain, but in reality... I was really crying."

topshelf #14 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 16938 battles
  • [AAD] AAD

AALG,

As a large community, you'll always get people who are good, bad, great and anything in between amongst the players, staff and volunteers of WoT / WG - we as PANZACs have seen that very clearly in recent weeks. But there's always those who bring a very selfless and giving attitude even to this "game" [of tanks]. You were always so quick to offer help and assistance to those who needed it - I know I was one of the beneficiaries of this.

Mate, PANZACs is definitely a better clan for having you with us.

As Mole has said above, you never know. Will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

t.

comix #15 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Bison Bait

• Beta-Tester
  • 20218 battles
  • [RPS] RPS

All the Best, I hope you have had no regrets in this life as I thank you for all that you have done for the WoT community as a whole.

Whooohooo #16 Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 15325 battles
  • [TROLL] TROLL
Damn... u still have no chance to ban me twice... dont say farewell too early

my sig also got HD buff ?

Brannor #17 Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

Captain

• 12604 battles
Can I have your banhammer? Gonna miss you mate, stay with us on Skype for as long as you can. -G

3LIT3_5NIP3R #18 Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

Major

• 11278 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

RO us while you still can..

Jk abt the RO.. 

Gws, all the best, hope you had a meaningful life. 

... Just realised you're in the same school as me 3LIT3, imma rekt you irl -Laserbeam, 13 Jan, 11.10 PM

big_wolf #19 Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Corporal

• 3553 battles

good luck mate n all the best

http://wotlabs.net/sig/sea/big_wolf/signature.png

Mullet_ #20 Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 17002 battles
o7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users