Tier VIIIs Twilight

Matchmaker Change Battletier

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (71 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 20 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you consider this change as good or bad?

1. Good (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

2. Bad (49 votes [69.01%])

Percentage of vote: 69.01%

3. Neutral (16 votes [22.54%])

Percentage of vote: 22.54%

Vote Hide poll

Retia #1 Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

Major

• 22662 battles
  • [DPS] DPS

So I've read this a few hours ago on FTR and thought a bit about it.

Block Quote

Developers decided to remove the 12th battletier in 8.11 (SS: If you don’t understand what that means, refer to wotwiki).

The reason for it is “it is really cheap means of reducing the tier 8 waiting times and giving additional incentive for grinding tier 10 vehicles”.

Apparently, this was a player idea, that got considered and was found good.

(SS: effectively it means tier 8 vehicles will see more of tier 10′s in their battles, this will not affect tier 8 premium vehicles)

This has a quite huge impact on the matchmaking, as correctly written by SS this directly translates into tier VIII tanks seeing more tier X battles then before.

However it doesn't stop there, the same obviously goes for high tier scouts and tier IX tanks.

Now I've been thinking about if this is a bad or good change.

Obviously at a first look it sounds bad, terrible, but there is something to consider.

Damaging/destroying tanks of a higher tier grants way better rewards than shooting tanks of the same or lower tier.

With this in mind a decent player will probably benefit from this change as long as he/she/it plays clever and uses the tank efficiently,

because as we all know a tier VIII in a tier X battle is either dead, hiding behind arty, or playing well. (<- slightly exaggerating)

Grinding for a player that knows how to utilize his/her/it's tank could potentially become easier with this change.

Meeting more higher tiered tanks, gives more chances of damaging/destroying those and results in better rewards than

what one would get in a same tier battle.

There is however a giant Elefant in the room.

And that mostly involves players that drive a certain tank because of other reasons than grinding.

(I.e. because they like it, because they farm credits, because they statpad, or whatever other reason)

Those players will now meet higher tiered tanks more often than before, and I won't lie, when I take my KV-4 out for a spin and

land in a tier X battle as one of two tier VIIIs and three tier X arties on both sides... I kinda want to yell out loud in anger....

So that will happen more often with 0.8.11... well atleast one can get some extra crew experience out of it as long as he does well... I guess that's a plus.

And then we turn our eyes on other problems that could potentially arise.

Scouts will now see tier Xs more often, that is not bad in my opinion because when I do drive a scout I prefer tanks with lots of hitpoints,

however from time to time not having to be afraid of being oneshotted is nice...

Then you have the tier VIII premium tanks with their reduced matchmaking, I kinda think they will be influenced by this, too.

After all there will be more tier Xs for both tier IXs and VIIIs to play around with.

Which could translate into even better matchmaking for those special mm premium tanks.

Obiously tier Xs will see more lower tiered tanks in battle more often, but is that a good thing?

One could say "Yay lots of 'easily' killed targets!", but lower tiered tanks, as we should all know by now, grant less rewards.

Now you can argue that it doesn't matter, since you're not grinding exp, but for the most part that means slower crew training.

But wait you could transfer the crew to a premium tank, maybe a tier VIII with special matchmaki-... oh...

I seriously don't think it's a marketing plot to get people to buy a tier VIII with special matchmaking, it's more

a possible effect and less a targeted result.

And honestly the difference between either in terms of crew exp is probably pretty low.

So I guess from the tier X point of view it's all fine, more clubbing, less hard fought battles.

Did I mention that I like tier X battles with either only or mostly tier X tanks the most?

And that's not even the bottom of the rabbit hole...

Am I exaggerating this change? Maybe

Is it an interesting change that could potentially change a lot of things and should you keep an eyes on it?

So after this wall of text, what do you think of this change?

There is still a lot to consider about this, especially since the matchmaker really hates changes the devs do to it.

But I've already written a "small" wall of text and I'd like to read other players' opinions.

See you on the field :honoring:

Edit:

SS did some more indepth research on the subject.

Link

Basically it should not result in more tier X battles than before, but I'm still sceptic.

Every time the devs change the matchmaker there is a good chance it blows up... the past times this happened showed that quite nicely.

Well in the end I guess we will see...

Edited by Retia, 07 February 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Playing without Mods would be boring.

Ezz #2 Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Sounds like another great solution to a problem our server wasn't facing.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Mullet_ #3 Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 17293 battles

I for one dont have a problem with it. Sure we all like to be top tier but I'm actually finding when I'm bottom tier I play better.

I guess it forces me to not play so aggressively. It teaches you to find ways of helping the team and exploiting the tanks strengths.

Feels great too when you play well and really contribute to the win.

Grivyn #4 Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 30102 battles
  • [DPS] DPS
Strongly dislike the change, as Ezz already said sounds like a question looking for an answer.

All it will do is shift the tier 8 Meta to 59's, FCM's and IS6's. On the bright side will make T9 games for the T7 preferential MM Prems even less thus not only boosting IS6/FCM sales but JT88 and SU-144 as well.

malpaso #5 Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:11 AM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 41365 battles
  • [_ST_] _ST_
Small wonder that the T8 premiums are on sale at the moment..
malpaso

DivHunter #6 Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 19869 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Might join Revan in a Panther M10.

So many 8s are useless against ye olde tier 10s now they want them to see even more of the the auto-loading monster TDs that will still clip them out before they can fire twice after the nerfs?

That's what everyone really needed, more incentive to bot and skip tanks.

Ezz #7 Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostDivHunter, on 07 February 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

So many 8s are useless against ye olde tier 10s now they want them to see even more of the the auto-loading monster TDs that will still clip them out before they can fire twice after the nerfs?

Tier 8 TD meets a waffle and it'd be lucky to fire even one shell.

To further explore this - this should make tier IX a more enjoyable experience too. Basically 8s a bit less time on top. 9s and 10s a bit more fodder to feast on. Derp - thought tier 9s were included in the soon to be disabled battle tier. So basically better for 10s, worse for everyone else.

Edited by Ezz, 07 February 2014 - 06:52 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

_stevethegecko_ #8 Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:59 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 29350 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Will it really affect us that much? We're already swamped with tier X tanks in the queue due to the power grind attitude on this server, and picking a tier 8 involves entering the queue and leaving if you see too many Xs waiting, just at a chance to be top or middle.

@Retia I know you are Deutsche, just a heads up for you mate, it's elePHant in English, not eleFant ;)

Edited by FeeTFooD, 07 February 2014 - 07:00 AM.

kilig ako

Ezz #9 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
To do list: finish your tier 8 grinds pre 8.11. Do we know roughly when the patch goes live?

GrimPagan #10 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 12298 battles

View PostEzz, on 07 February 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

To do list: finish your tier 8 grinds pre 8.11. Do we know roughly when the patch goes live?

EU and RU are supposed to get it on the 11/2. So we'll be a few days behind probably.

Weebl #11 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

Captain

• 15027 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO
My T44 pretty much only ever sees X's anyway. With the amount of X's in the queue on this server I can't imagine it will make much difference.

Retia #12 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

Major

• 22662 battles
  • [DPS] DPS

View PostFeeTFooD, on 06 February 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

Will it really affect us that much? We're already swamped with tier X tanks in the queue due to the power grind attitude on this server, and picking a tier 8 involves entering the queue and leaving if you see too many Xs waiting, just at a chance to be top or middle.

@Retia I know you are Deutsche, just a heads up for you mate, it's elePHant in English, not eleFant ;)

And now we'll be even more swamped, well luckily there are only few tier VIIIs left to grind for me.

Also fixed the typo, thx ;)

View PostEzz, on 06 February 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Tier 8 TD meets a waffle and it'd be lucky to fire even one shell.

To further explore this - this should make tier IX a more enjoyable experience too. Basically 8s a bit less time on top. 9s and 10s a bit more fodder to feast on. Derp - thought tier 9s were included in the soon to be disabled battle tier. So basically better for 10s, worse for everyone else.

Pretty much my impression, although it will have to show when it goes live.

View PostEzz, on 07 February 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

Tuesday for RU and EU, so probably also next week for us.

Playing without Mods would be boring.

Ezz #13 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostGrimPagan, on 07 February 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

EU and RU are supposed to get it on the 11/2. So we'll be a few days behind probably.

View PostRetia, on 07 February 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Tuesday for RU and EU, so probably also next week for us.

TY.

About 25k to go on my borsig and 416. Doable.

la_e #14 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

Staff sergeant

• 3653 battles

so they're giving the tier X waffles and french fries more targets to oneclip/shoot at?

... not cool man, not cool

Spoiler

Brotherlon3 #15 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 19469 battles
  • [SLPSL] SLPSL
It is kinda odd, that 8s are gonna have a tougher time in 8.11 due to MM changes after such heavy promotion of 7/42 from WG. 

Ezz #16 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostBrotherlon3, on 07 February 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

It is kinda odd, that 8s are gonna have a tougher time in 8.11 due to MM changes after such heavy promotion of 7/42 from WG. 

Thankfully you can actually grind 8s in those team battles. Some might be tempted to give them another try.

mttspiii #17 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 35245 battles
  • [KYLIE] KYLIE
Wouldn't this affect tier 6 and 7 indirectly, in any way?

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

Ezz #18 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postmttspiii, on 07 February 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Good question. One current theory on the MM is that it creates a battle at a given tier based on what is in queue. Then assigns any tanks from the queue that qualify into it. The change will in theory mean that slightly fewer battles will be created with tier 8s as top tier - ie fewer battles for 7s and 6s to be drawn up into. Ie - a benefit to those tiers. Sadly there is almost no practical way of measuring a before and after (it would take someone to play and record tiering for hundreds of battles both before and after - volunteers anyone?).

_stevethegecko_ #19 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 29350 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postmttspiii, on 07 February 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Less T8 battles potentially. 

kilig ako

Pinnacul #20 Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

First lieutenant

• 14422 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
I would guess that my Tier 8's see about 50% Tier 10 battles anyway, so increasing this number won't be that big of a change. Certainly, there are a few Tier 8 tanks that are comfortable mixing it up with the big boys, but for most Tier 8 is going to be something to be endured rather than enjoyed. Hitting Tier 10 will be that much more satisfying!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users