Premium Tank Review Contest "Sexton I"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Scharfschuetzen #1 Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

First lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 16325 battles

Event Start Time: 18. Apr 2014 14:00 (UTC+8) 

Event End Time: 25. Apr 2014 14:00 (UTC+8) 

Hi Commanders,

Finding the right tank to add to your garage can be difficult. In our Premium Tank Review Series, we want to hear from our tank commanders their own personal opinions on our featured tanks to help other players make their choice when they finally decide to bring that long-coveted tank home!

This time, we'd like to read about your thoughts on the "Sexton I"!

Conditions:

• Post your review on the premium tank "Sexton I" in the comments below. Remember to include the pros and cons to make your review as balanced as possible as the review itself will carry most of the weight during judging.
  • We encourage the use of images (epic screenshots of you using your personal tank, especially!) for your review.

Prize:

• The 3 best entries will receive 1000 Gold each.

Notice:

• Only one entry for each account is permitted.

Please read the WOT Game and Forum rules: Game Rules- Forum Rules- EULA- TOS
For help and assistance try out our Wikior contact Support
Dont forget to also visit us on Facebookand Twitter!

請閱讀《戰車世界》遊戲以及討論區規則:遊戲規則- 討論區規則- 使用者授權合約- 服務條款

如果需要幫助,請試看看我們的 維基百科或是聯絡 支援
別忘記造訪我們的 Facebook以及 Twitter

http://wotlabs.net/s...n/signature.png

kingofthetanks63 #2 Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

Corporal

• 13708 battles
  • [RECO] RECO
Sexton cost is 1,250 gold but why we get 1,000 if we win this event? :amazed::facepalm:

The992255 #3 Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Private

• 3898 battles

遠古時代的戰場上,存在著一輛加值自走砲--leFH18B2,在當時,它以填裝僅需9秒的射擊速度,掃平對面的每一個草叢。
然而在8.6改版之後,leFH18B2從商店裡移除,而Sexton I作為leFH18B2的精神後繼者進入了遊戲中的商店。

儘管沒有前輩leFH18B2的9秒填裝速度,但是Sexton I表現也不差,它填裝只需要11秒,而且Sexton I能夠辦到一件它的前輩leFH18B2所辦不到的事情:
它的AP-T Mk. 1T穿甲彈,能夠擊穿厚達71釐米的軋壓均質裝甲,而它的同級對手,沒有任何一台車擁有足夠厚重的裝甲能夠防禦這種彈頭,若是擊穿裝甲,能夠造成致命的180點平均傷害
--換一句話說:這是一台位階僅有3階的Object 261,而它所使用的穿甲彈,「一擊必殺」。

現在英國加值車輛正在特價中,原價1,250金幣的Sexton I現在僅收取您625金幣--如果您想體驗看看超長距離狙擊,為何不考慮為自己入手一台這台又快又準的小砲車呢?

Sexton I的優點:

‧主砲擁有0.76m的精準度,這已經比遊戲當中半數的的自走砲精準度還要好了。
‧它所使用的穿甲彈飛行度速度比高爆彈來得更快,而且能擊穿它所能遇見的大多數敵人。
‧通訊範圍比Sexton II多出20公尺。

Sexton I的缺點:

‧價格偏高,比其他3階加值車輛高出350金幣。
‧高爆彈傷害低落,儘管已經足以擊毀高階戰車的履帶。
‧從戰鬥中能獲得的銀幣與經驗值偏低,並且無法為玩家代訓第二名炮手。

Non-English post in wrong section. User Warned.

-comix.

Dark320 #4 Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Private

• 6240 battles
  • [LONE] LONE

Sexton 1

Country of Origin: Canada

Manufacturer: Montreal Locomotives Works - Canada

Initial year of Service: 1943

Production: 2510

Focus Model: Sexton Mark 1

Crew: 6

Overall Length: 20.08ft (6.12m)

Width: 8.89ft (2.71m)

Height: 8.01ft (2.4m)

Weight: 27.6 US Short Tons (25000kg, 55116 lbs)

Powerplant: 1 x Continental R-975 9 -cylinder radial gasoline engine delivering 400 hp.

Max speed: 25mph (40kph)

Max Range: 124 miles (200 km)

Armament:

1 x Ordnance QF 25-pounder (87.6mm) Mk II main gun

2 x .303 caliber Bren Light Machine Guns

Ammunition:

112 x 25-pdr projectiles (AP, HE, Smoke)

1500 x .303 ammunition

Variants:

Sexton Mk I - Initial Production Mark; 125 examples produced

Sexton Mk II - Rear deck storage compartments for batteries and auxiliary generator

Sexton GPO (Gun Position Officer) - Sand 25-pounder main gun; fitted with map table and No. 19 radio system.

Operator:

Canada, Poland, South Africa, United Kingdom

Additional Info:

Pros:
  • Pros:
  • High rate of fire
  • Fairly mobile
  • Massive ammo capacity
  • Large gun sweep
Cons:
  • Cons:
  • Low damage per shot
  • Poor shell penetration
  • Low XP generation limits training
  • Crew positions do not match well with other Brit SPG

RadoBG #5 Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 26865 battles
BORING !

България над всичко.

aw my com Best T.G.

kingofthetanks63 #6 Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Corporal

• 13708 battles
  • [RECO] RECO

The Sexton I is a British tier 3 premium self-propelled gun.

In 1943 the Montreal Locomotive Works started mass production of the Sexton SPG, developed on the basis of RAM II. A total of 2150 vehicles were produced by 1945, of which 125 were designated as Sexton I.

Development history

In 1942, the US supplied enough M7 Priest self-propelled howitzers to equip a number of British Army artillery units in fighting in North Africa. The British found the Priest to be an excellent weapon, which gave artillery the same mobility as tank units. However, the Priest used the American 105 mm howitzer rather than the British equivalent, the QF 25 ponder gun-howitzer. Having to supply different ammunition for a few units complicated supply for the British Army. The US attempted to fit a 25 ponder to the M7 Priest - producing the T51 in mid 1942 - but the program suffered delays including the destruction of the gun mount on the prototype during the first live-firing exercises. US resources were not available for a vehicle solely for British use so Britain turned to Canada. The Canadian Army Engineering Design Branch through the Canadian government's Department of Munitions and Supply were asked to build a vehicle similar to the M7 on the Ram tank chassis. The Ram tank was a Canadian tank design that used the chassis of the American Medium Tank M3 as did the Priest. The Ram had been sidelined by a decision to standardize on the Sherman tank for British and Canadian units. A prototype was completed on 23 June 1942. Following trials in Canada, the Canadian government ordered 124 vehicles in three batches. The prototype was shipped to the United Kingdom in early 1943, where it underwent further trials; the vehicle was found to be highly satisfactory and was given the designation "Sexton" (after the religious custodian) in May 1943. The British government ordered 300 Sextons in the summer of 1943; however, these Sextons were to be built on Grizzly tank hulls (Canadian-built M4A1 Sherman tanks) instead of Ram tank hulls. The Ram-based Sexton was designated as the Sexton Mark I and the Grizzly-based Sexton was designated the Sexton Mark II. British orders for the Sexton II eventually totaled 2,026 vehicles.

Unlike the Ram, which was inferior operationally to the Sherman and never saw combat as a gun tank, the Sexton was successful. Between 1943 and 1945, the Montreal Locomotive Works manufactured a total of 2,150 Sextons for the use of both Canadian and British forces. The vehicle entered service in September 1943. The vehicles were first used in combat in Italy by the British Eighth Army. Later Sextons took part in the invasion of France and subsequent Battle of Normandy and the campaign in north-western Europe. During the D-day landings a number of Sextons were ordered to fire from their landing craft as they approached the beaches although the fire did not prove to be very accurate. In spite of its confused origins, the Sexton was a combination of proven parts and proved to be a successful design and remained in British service until 1956. In oppose to Germany, which often used its self-propelled guns (assault guns) in a front line direct fire role, Britain and Canada only used the Sexton for indirect supporting fire. They kept the Sextons well back from the front line and used forward observers to direct overwhelming fire on a target.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
  • High rate of fire
  • Fairly mobile
  • Massive ammo capacity
  • Large gun sweep

Cons:
  • Low damage per shot
  • Poor shell penetration
  • Low XP generation limits training
  • Crew positions do not match well with other British SPG

Performance

A basic SPG. Not super accurate or hard-hitting, but rapid firing. Expect to bounce quite a few shots if shooting heavily-armored foes. However, the high rate of fire somewhat helps negate this.

Makes fair credits for a Tier 3 Premium tank, but nothing spectacular.

Note that there are some downsides for those considering using the Sexton I for training British SPG crews:

- First, the crew positions do not match well with other British SPGs. For example, the Radio Operator Position in only found on one other SPG - the Sexton II. Also, 3 British SPGs have 2 Gunners while the Sexton I only has one.

- A second issue is the low experience point generation. This tank does not have a XP gain modifier like most Premium tanks - the XP generation is the same as the non-Premium Sexton II. This noticeably limits the rate you can train crew and dramatically reduces its usefulness to train high-tier SPG crew.

CaptainNoch_01 #7 Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

Sergeant

• 19396 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

srsly kingofthetanks63...you just copied all of it from the wiki....

oh and the contest says "your personal opinions" not some info from the wiki...

Edited by CaptainNoch_01, 18 April 2014 - 07:55 PM.

signature.png

Why do I still play this game? 

DigitalPride #8 Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

Private

• Beta-Tester
  • 5827 battles
  • [ALIEN] ALIEN

Introducing SPG: Sexton I

Info:

In 1943 the Montreal Locomotive Works started mass production of the Sexton SPG, developed on the basis of RAM II. A total of 2150 vehicles were produced by 1945, of which 125 were designated as Sexton I.

WHY Sexton I?

1. It loads in 10-11 seconds.

2. Isn't really that bad with 100% crew, rammer, and gold.

3. It's totally worth it if you are into British arty or just like premium tanks.

Main Characteristics

Tier III

Hit Points 140 HP

Weight/Load Limit 25.86 / 31.0 t

Price 1,250

Crew
  1. Commander
  2. Gunner
  3. Driver
  4. Radio Operator
  5. Loader
  6. Loader

Mobility

Engine Power 390 h.p.

Speed Limit 40 km/h

Traverse Speed 24 deg/sec

Turret Traverse Speed 16 deg/sec

Armor

Hull Armor (mm)
  • front 50
  • sides 31
  • rear 38

Armament

Gun Q.F. 25-Pr. Gun/How. Mk. II

Ammunition 112 pcs

Damage 210-350 HP

Armor Penetration 33-55 mm

Rate of Fire 5.0 rounds/min

View Range 330 m

Signal Range 570 m

Configuration

Guns

Guns

Tier Gun Damage
(НР)
Penetration
(mm)
Rate of Fire
(rounds/min)
Price
(credits)

IV Q.F. 25-Pr. Gun/How. Mk. II 280/180/180 44/92/71 5.0 --

Engines

Engines

Tier Engine Power
(h.p.)
Chance of Fire
(%)
Price
(credits)

V Wright (Continental) R975 EC2 390 20 --

Suspensions

Suspensions

Tier Suspension Load Limit
(t)
Traverse Speed
(deg/sec)
Price
(credits)

III Sexton I 31.0 24 --

Radios

Radios

Tier Radio Signal Range
(m)
Price
(credits)

IX WS No. 19 Special 570 --

HighExplosives12 #9 Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Private

• 1218 battles

Why don't they just give us the tank for a while (say 2 weeks) and then let us write a review?

tanduy3394 #10 Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Corporal

• 26072 battles
  • [-HNC-] -HNC-

In 1943 the Montreal Locomotive Works started mass production of the Sexton SPG, developed on the basis of RAM II. A total of 2150 vehicles were produced by 1945, of which 125 were designated as Sexton I. The first 125 vehicles manufactured. Based on the Ram tank hull.

Sexton on exhibition in the Polish Army museum in Warsaw, this particular vehicle was used during WWII by the Polish 1st Armoured Division

It's fairly good for a Tier 3 arty.  It's not a huge moneymaker, because the splash radius is small. It's generally "hit or nothing".  Like the other early Brit arty's, it has an insane shelldrop.  It's not quite up there with the Birch Gun, but it's good. for a tier 3, fantastic gun range.  Around 1040m.

If you plan on playing up the British SPG tree, Sexton is a must have, since you could just use it to train crews. It is the only premium SPG available in game right now, earns decent $ per battle, cheap to repair, cheap ammo. Maybe you will like it.

Edited by tanduy3394, 19 April 2014 - 11:39 AM.

ComradeAdams #11 Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 5609 battles

The Sexton I 

The Sexton I was a misguided attempt by the Canadians to create a tank that exceeded the King, Queen and that funny boy card of the battlefield, TOG II*.

Firstly, they took the specs of a tank that was closer to the awesomeness of the TOG II*, the RAM cruiser Mk I, and removed much of the armour and the whole roof, creating the tank verion of a sports coupe. However the Canadians ruined the effect of the sportier model by not painting it red or British Racing Green (not even attempting to put go faster stripes on it??? MADNESS!) and instead issuing the Sexton Mk I with a uniform baby poo green colour. Clearly the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Locomotive_Works where wallowing in defeatism and forgetting they where part of Her Majesty's Empire and not a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys.

The French Canadians, possibly shamed into improving the basic model by (of all people) the USA, added a mediocre artillery piece onto the Sexton, the QF 25pdr gun. While this gun terrified the Germans into thinking this was a machine gun version of artillery, the 25pdr was not well regarded by the Americans because it did not need to be upgraded throughout the war apart from minor tweeks. General Tim Taylor of the US Binford Arsenal of Detroit complained that the 25 pdr needed "MORE POWER" and started grunting wildly around the meeting room. The Free French where also not that pleased, as it was not based on the 1897 75mm Cannon , claiming any gun created in the last 40 years was not as well tested 'it was good enough for my great grandfather, it is good enough for me!"

The most flawed aspect of the design was its dimensions. Being a tank that was similar in size to US designs like the M3 and M4 meant that unlike the TOG II*, the SPG was not halfway to Berlin when it entered the battlefield. The speed of the Sexton I (40km) meant it it able to deploy quicker than an equivalent German piece (3 old Luftwaffe rejects and a horse halfway to a knakery). This caused problems with the Royal Horse Artillery, who thought it was unsporting to use on the battlefield. 

We can also compare the 40KM speed to the TOG II*, which was more heavily armoured and could manage 5km/h downhill with a stiff tailwind. 

The Sexton I was a replacement of the Bishop, which annoyed the 7th Army in Africa, because you could not make "Actress and the Bishop" jokes with a SPG named after a navigation device. However being Canadian built and based of the US M3 Tank varient (RAM I), it lacked some of the endearing traits of British tanks like good access to treads and engines, not throwing hot oil in new and spectacular ways and not based on the Liberty Engines (motto: Give me a Liberty and Death!).

A total of 2,150 Sextons where made, which is a shame because if the Montreal Locomotive Works used the German logistics and weapon development system, could have retooled the entire factory and made 5 to 7 TOG II* tanks. 

However, the Sexton left an indelible scar of the Australians who created their own version, the Yeramba (aboriginal for "where is the bloody roof on this thing?"). 

In hindsight the Sexton was a disgraceful departure from The Old Gang strategic thinking in creating a reliable SPG for indirect fire, when clearly marching slowly towards Berlin was a far better idea.

Pro:

• Allowed the Ram I to be put to good use by the Allies
  • Has the QF 25 pdr gun. While not a 17 pdr, the better gun was not available during design.
  • Open roof, allowing the crew to enjoy being exposed to the best African Heat and European Cold
  • Not using UK designs and equipment apart from the Gun. Meaning it could move without breaking down

Con:

• Lacking the armour, stressed gearbox, turret and dimensions of the TOG II*
  • Clearly not designed for running around the battlefield like teenagers heading to a party
  • Breaking the Infantry/Cruiser doctrine, making their promoters look like idiots

Note: No French or French Canadians where harmed in the production of this article. The responsible writers have been publicly whipped and promise never to allow this again.

Edited by ComradeAdams, 19 April 2014 - 12:56 PM.

AnGeL2411 #12 Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Corporal

• 12929 battles
  • [__S__] __S__

[Review]: Sexton I- The British tier III premium SPG

maxresdefault.jpg

History
In 1942, the US supplied enough M7 Priest self-propelled howitzers to equip a number of British Army artillery units in fighting in North Africa. The British found the Priest to be an excellent weapon, which gave artillery the same mobility as tank units. However, the Priest used the American 105 mm howitzer rather than the British equivalent, the QF 25 pounder gun-howitzer. Having to supply different ammunition for a few units complicated supply for the British Army. The US attempted to fit a 25 pounder to the M7 Priest - producing the T51 in mid 1942 - but the program suffered delays including the destruction of the gun mount on the prototype during the first live-firing exercises.[1] US resources were not available for a vehicle solely for British use so Britain turned to Canada.
The Canadian Army Engineering Design Branch through the Canadian government's Department of Munitions and Supply were asked to build a vehicle similar to the M7 on the Ram tank chassis. The Ram tank was a Canadian tank design that used the chassis of the American Medium Tank M3 as did the Priest. The Ram had been sidelined by a decision to standardize on the Sherman tank for British and Canadian units. A prototype was completed on 23 June 1942. Following trials in Canada, the Canadian government ordered 124 vehicles in three batches. The prototype was shipped to the United Kingdom in early 1943,[3] where it underwent further trials; the vehicle was found to be highly satisfactory and was given the designation "Sexton" (after the religious custodian) in May 1943. The British government ordered 300 Sextons in the summer of 1943; however, these Sextons were to be built on Grizzly tank hulls (Canadian-built M4A1 Sherman tanks) instead of Ram tank hulls. The Ram-based Sexton was designated as the Sexton Mark I and the Grizzly-based Sexton was designated the Sexton Mark II. British orders for the Sexton II eventually totalled 2,026 vehicles.

B_010363.jpg

Sexton147FRNov44.jpg

Pros and Cons
Pros:
 MH6BjHj.jpg

Cons:
  • Low damage per shot
  • Don't expect splash damage
  • Poor shell penetration
  • Crew positions do not match well with other British SPG
  • The priority target of enemies
 vUpuNL6.png

Tactics
The Sexton I are played in a particular way compared to other tanks, here are some basic rules.
Find a safe location, usually the corners of the map behind a rock or a bush, it is crucial not be detected by opponent scouts who can possibly reach the area of your base. (Should notice your short range of fire)

Use the T button to indicate to your team mates the enemy that you are aiming so that they won’t enter in the explosion area and maybe maintain line of sight with the target to give you a hand.

If the target is stationary, target it back slightly, due to the trajectory of the shells you have a greater chance of hitting it in this way that with a perfect centered aim.
If it is moving aim a bit forward based on its speed, is not easy and requires time and practice.

index.jpg

Equipment (Recommend)

-Camouflage Net: increases camouflage by 25% when the tank isn’t moving for 3 seconds
-Artillery Shell Rammer: -10% reload time of weapons
-Enhanced Gun Laying Drive: -9% time required to stabilize the aim

Compare with other non-premium SPG tier III

http://tank-compare.com/en/compare/sexton-i/sturmpanzer-i-bison/su-26#T1=160I128I103I196I136&T2=179I151I127I219I137&T3=369I285I252I462I175

SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ? LET'S GET A SEXTON I !!! :playing:

angel2411- Server SEA

My blog about tanks: http://angelazzurri.blogspot.com/

Noob_Inside #13 Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 10272 battles
Gotta love those who just copy paste from Wiki and leave it just like that.
Stats   Just played WoT after a year of break. 
“Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Vesperon #14 Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 18778 battles

Sexton I is a British tier 3 premium self-propelled gun built based on Canadian Ram II tanks. Sexton I is armed similarly as his non-premium cousin, Sexton II with its 25-Pounder howitzer. 25-Pounder howitzer has its advantage being a high arc gun that its shell falls into its target in nearly vertical line rather than horizontal line. This type of firing arc has its disadvantages and advantages, first it gives a better chance hitting tanks that are behind cover or behind a steep hill. This is clearly an advantage even when the Matchmaking throws you into a urban environment like Himmelsdorf, where people didn't expect to get hit by arty in this kind of map. But this high-arc firing line has much more longer flight time because its an howitzer, the other disadvantage is it will be much more harder to hit a fast moving target. Well, that it about its firing arc, and i didn't forget to mention that this gun also has a good rate of fire and plentiful of ammunition to cover its weak alpha damage, combine all this aspect and this little bundle of doom able to rain its load continuously resulting a massive damage to the unsuspected enemies. 

Probably the other Sexton I aspect that are still "good" despite of his status it's the mobility, thanks to Ram II chassis and engine, Sexton I able to relocate with its healthy power to weight ratio of 15hp/t. This power to weight ratio will able to push this tank up to 40km/h within seconds in a smooth terrain. The decent mobility gives its tanks good mobility to move around battlefield to get its line of fire to the target since its howitzer has a short range effective range and gives player a boost when they deemed their operational location isn't safe anymore. For protection, Sexton I really doesn't has a enough armor to hold incoming fire, this SPG doesn't has what it need to stand in front line at first place so the armor would be considered as a paper thin.

To summarize, there is not much to say about this tank, because this tank plays exactly like what their type usually does, giving fire to spotted target while stay hidden in second line. Its gun performance is a bit weak because of its low alpha, but it is compensated by its large stock of ammunition and high rate of fire while its good mobility able to support this tank to get better firing line and quick escape when situation are worsened. Is it worth it or not? That's depend if you are a SPG lover, then its a good money source from an SPG, but this SPG seems cannot train crew fast because its position in the tech tree as a tier 3 vehicle, that mean less experience gained for your crew to progress. So, this SPG is worth only for those who loves to play SPG and having fun in it. 

Edited by Vesperon, 21 April 2014 - 01:44 PM.

Spoiler

NyanDora_Mech_Tank #15 Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:42 AM

SealClub Number 3

• 19653 battles
  • [GVN-P] GVN-P

REVIEW: SEXTON I SPG

It's quite special to write a review about a self-propelled gun, in which they are often hide in a bush and throw bricks throughout the battle. But of course, every tank have it own way to be performed, even a tier 3 premium SPG like Sexton I. Before showing my review, i will give you my general opinion about this artillery: It's like a tier 2 TD with massive shot range. 

Yes, it can be compared as a tier 2 tank destroyer with the SPG shooting way. Sadly, the matchmaking of Sexton I is tier 3 to 5, so.... :trollface:

First is the history. This is the boring part so I put it all in the Spoiler. 

Spoiler

Now let's start the fun. 

1. Fire power and Manoeuvrability

Like i said, it's a SPG, so HP and Armor will not be counted as a notable part for the review. The most important thing about every SPG is fire power. Hence, we can determine how to aim and shoot effectively while throwing bricks with this vehicle. :veryhappy:

Basically, it's play style is very similar with other low-tier British and French SPG but now you have a better shot range, 

Please notice that the Penetration is depend on which kind of ammo you are using. For HE is 44mm, AP is 71mm and Premium AP is 92mm.

Now you can understand why i called the Sexton I is like a tier 2 TD but play as a SPG. It has a good rate of fire, with the average reload time is about 11,5s, very impressive with a tier 3 SPG. 

And because it's like a tier 2 TD, so it's penetration and damage is somewhat "not very effective" against HTs, especially heavy-armored tier 5 HT. 

The small range of HE explosion radius also teach you the lesson about "Hit or nothing:trollface:. Don't hope for a splash damage 'cause it won't help at all. 

Thankfully, it's still have a decent DPM so if you aim carefully you still can help a lot for your team and receive high income. With a lot of ammo, don't hesitate to troll the enemy who hiding behind destructible objects and make ways for your teammate to shoot at him. :trollface:

About the accuracy.... 

What will happen if a tier-2 TD gun is set as an SPG with 87mm calibre gun? :harp: 

Yeah! It's like you're holding a cannon with your hand and shoot the enemy far away from you. :trollface: Poor aim time, bad accuracy and large aiming circle spread is the answer. 11,5s of reloading time is just enough for you to give another effective shot, so changing position after shooting (to prevent enemy SPG) is not recommended. 

Okay, that's all the information about this tank's fire power and manoeuvrability..
From above you can see that this SPG have low alpha damage, but high ROF. Good shell velocity increase your chance to hit direct to the enemy is somewhat compensate for the poor explosion radius. Badly accuracy also give you difficulties while covering your team. 

Recommended using HE for enemy HTs and other light-armored vehicles, AP for medium tanks. Detrack is a good way to deal with enemy HTs.

2. Mobility and Camouflage values

As you can see, this SPG also have an advantage when running away from dangerous or moving to firing position. 40km/h with Pivot is enough for you. However with the low specific power and terrain resistances, your acceleration would be very slow. 

Good camouflage values also give you more chances to survive. Imagine the values 14.5% bonus with camo extension, camouflage net and crew skills, if you're not moving and firing, you are nearly invisible.

In overall, these characteristic is suitable with a SPG. Be a survivor with this tank is not very hard.

3. Other notable characteristics 

- Special chassis armor, light tanks please don't mess with it :trollface: It's up to 82mm !!! 

But the other parts are mostly 20~50mm, so don't worry if you've been spotted, they will bring you back to the garage soon. :trollface:

- Gun depression is -9, give you the chance to shoot to the lower ground easily.

- Tank price is pretty high with a premium tier 3 tank. (1250 gold while some premium tier 5 is 1500).

- Normal income. Not a special premium tanks after all. For me, leFH18B2 is better. 

- Low accuracy so do not trust the high DPM and ROF too much. Aim carefully to get better results.

CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION

"Trivial" is the word to describe this tank in overall. After all, we can't count too much on a tier-3 premium SPG. However, you can easily deal a lot of damage and bring the victory for your team, thanks to these advantages:

- High ROF

- Low cost HE and normal AP ammo.

- Nice max speed with a SPG.

- Good camouflage values. 

- Flexible gun horizontal traverse.

- Better shot range than other reference SPGs.

Everything have its advantages and disadvantages. Here is the bad news :trollface:

- Poor penetration and alpha damage.

- Bad accuracy, large aiming circle spread.

- Low explosion radius.

- Low specific power make you hard to reach top speed.

From those above characteristic, we can see that the Sexton I SPG is a secondary support SPG. Detrack HT in many cases is your main mission. You can't deal a lot of damage, but with your high ROF you can slow the enemy down and confuse them. 

All the other parts is mostly the same with other SPG play style. Just don't scout like a LT, okay? :trollface: 

To decrease the effectiveness of disadvantages, I recommend you to buy some equipments below: 

- Medium-Caliber Artillery Shell Rammer

- Enhanced Gun Laying Drive

- Camouflage Net

Remember that, the tank will love you only if you love it. Don't force it to do what it couldn't. Be a good friend with it and be a good soldier in battle! 

Good luck!  ^^

TacticaL_Mech_Tank #16 Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

SealClub Number 4

• 14253 battles
  • [GVN-P] GVN-P

Sexton I: FV304's grandpa

The cannon machine gun

Well, as Sexton I is a self-propel gun (spg), there isn't much to say about it. However, since it's a British spg, there are some noticeable features that got my interest. May be most of you know the FV304, the little Joey while we're Oggy (watch Oggy and the cockroaches), then Sexton I is just FV304's predecessor. Fast (especially in rate of fire), tricky (traverse speed and stuffs) plus high camouflage value make this spg somehow worth the high cost.

This is my review contents:

1. Sexton I's stats and improvement suggestions

a) Sexton I's information and stats

b) Necessary improvements (equipment and crew skill)

2. Recommended play style

3. Conclusion

OK, let's read and roll (over the floor)

1. Sexton I's stats and improvement suggestions

a) Sexton I's information and stats

_ Historical information (nah, who need this for the game :tongue:, let's move to the real review part)

_ Stats (without load and crew skill)

Fire power: Low penetration and alpha damage, this might make you sad a bit but no problem, there are more to redeem these. First is its reload time, only 11s (without load) allows Sexton I to have a better average damage compare to other spg. As you guys can see the FV304 a lot in RNG series, you can imagine the danger of this sick rate of fire. Most of the time, your enemy won't be able to clean up his track's mess (not to mention about fixing it) before your next shot help him reset the timer :arta:. Sexton I can also use AP to boost its penetration, although this doesn't help much.

Maneuverability: The accuracy isn't good, but can be acceptable while you can have a second chance thanks to the rate of fire. The aim time is quite fast then, but on the other hand, Sexton I acquired a large aiming circle spread (ACS), plus the super fast reload, it's recommended that you should stand still for better aiming and accuracy. At this point, the 40 degree (deg) horizontal gun arc is very useful. Another amazing stats beside the rate of fire, is its -9 depression, so Sexton I can sometimes act like a support tank destroyer (td), or just simply protect itself from the hungry light tanks (lt) climbing up the hill.

Mobility: Sexton I is fairly agile. The specific power is normal, although it has higher terrain resistance, it can reach good speed (about 30km/h) most of the time. Chassis traverse speed is 24, plus the pivot ability, Sexton I can fight against fast enemy easier, or in some cases, go around and eat the enemy spg like FV304.

Survivability: Just stay out of risky business. Most spg are Bill Rizer or Lance Bean in Contra, 1 touch and 1 credit lost. You should not let yourself spotted by picking a tricky position, or moving when your sixth sense (yours, not the game's) tells you that some guys incoming.

Scout ability: As I said before, Sexton I has good camouflage value, while the view range isn't that necessary to be good.

_ Armor design:

I just laugh so hard when started this part of the review. Yes, I'll skip it because every shot will penetrate (pen) you. Luckily, you can still rely on it's lower frontal plate, as its effective armor can be up to 70 and bounce some lower tier lt shots. However, as the upper plate are flat and much thinner, so most of the time, you enemy will aim there more often.

_Summary: well, so here is a summary for Sexton I's features.

+ Pros: - Fast reload, very good at damaging enemy's modules

- Somewhat agile

- Large horizontal arc for better stationary aiming

- Very good gun depression helps you defend yourself in some situations and act like a support td

+ Cons: - Low penetration and alpha damage

- Large ASC while turning or moving

- High cost but low exp and credit farming

- Awkward crew slots (doesn't fit the British spg)

b) Necessary improvements

_ Equipment: Sexton I should use the same equipment set just like other spg

Medium Caliber Gun Rammer, Enhanced Gun Laying Drive, Camouflage Net

_ Crew skill: Also only 1 suggestion. They're listed in recommended order.

+ Commander: Sixth Sense, Camouflage

+ Driver: Camouflage, Clutch Braking or Off-road Driving

+ Gunner: Camouflage, Eagle Eye

+ Radio operator: Camouflage, Signal Boosting or Relaying

+ Loader (2x): Camouflage

The other skills or perks will base on your play style or your favor. Sexton I can use AP so may be you can learn Intuition for your Loader

Here are the stats after the improvement (with Brothers in Arms skill for all crew).

2. Recommended play style

Marvelous rate of fire but low damage and penetration, Sexton I can be a good tool to harass and support your team at damaging enemy's modules. Remember that you're not a damage dealer so don't aim for the enemy's roof top, try shooting onto their weak spots and weakened modules (if you have Eagle Eye), especially their track. If you handle this well, the enemy will fear you just like the FV304.

Another play style (more risky, though) is to be a support td in the second line. You need to have a little knowledge at positioning and sniping (choose priority target, aiming spot, ...) and, of course, Sixth Sense for this kind of mission. The effectiveness of this play style is that your shots will more likely to hit the target easier, low down the weakness of your small blast radius. About how to sniping well, you can read my old review about Su-100Y or T-25.

3. Conclusion

Thanks for reading my review. I hope you guys can find more help from the detailed information above. Although Sexton I has no impression stats but its rate of fire, you can still find this tank very fun to play like the FV304. However, with a high cost and a normal credit/exp farming ability, player should consider a bit before buying it.

Good luck, guys. See you on the battlefield.

Edited by TacticaL_Mech_Tank, 23 April 2014 - 11:54 AM.

Scharfschuetzen #17 Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

First lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 16325 battles

View Postkingofthetanks63, on 18 April 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

Sexton cost is 1,250 gold but why we get 1,000 if we win this event? :amazed::facepalm:

Cause the reward is reward, nothing else.:smile: 

View PostHighExplosives12, on 19 April 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

Why don't they just give us the tank for a while (say 2 weeks) and then let us write a review?

You can write a review even you only see it on the battle before.:great:

-Scharfschuetzen

Please read the WOT Game and Forum rules: Game Rules- Forum Rules- EULA- TOS
For help and assistance try out our Wikior contact Support
Dont forget to also visit us on Facebookand Twitter!

請閱讀《戰車世界》遊戲以及討論區規則:遊戲規則- 討論區規則- 使用者授權合約- 服務條款

如果需要幫助,請試看看我們的 維基百科或是聯絡 支援
別忘記造訪我們的 Facebook以及 Twitter

http://wotlabs.net/s...n/signature.png

Death2846 #18 Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

Major

• 21279 battles

Introduction

The Sexton I is a Tier-3 premium SPG. It is a quite a normal SPG and it is very similar to its counterpart; the Sexton II. It also shares many of the same characteristics; like the loading speeds, alpha damage, shell penetration values and more.
The best parts about this SPG is its accuracy and loading speeds, which are one of the best in its tier, but it also has a few weaknesses, especially the low alpha damage and shell penetration values.
But unlike many other Premium tanks, the Sexton I doesn’t have increased credit or experience values, meaning that you should only buy it if you think that you will like playing the tank or if you want to try out a Premium SPG.

Pros

Accuracy

One of the best pros that the Sexton I has over its Tier-3 counter-parts is its low shell dispersion; 0.76m every 100m. This is the second best within the Tier-3 SPGs, only beaten by the SU-26, with a shell dispersion of 0.71m every 100m.
This means that at far ranges, around 550m and further, you have a high chance of hitting the targeted tank and shooting at a tank under this will almost always result in a hit; meaning that you can support your allies much better, resulting in more wins.

Reload

Another significant feature of the Sexton I is the rapid reload. It, again, is the second best in its tier, with a reload of 12 seconds; the fastest reload out of the Tier-3 SPGs is from the SU-26, with a reload of 6.6 seconds.
The use of the quick reload is the ability to place multiple shots into exposed, slow-moving tanks and being able to shoot more than once at a fast moving tank, if you miss. Also, you can permanently track enemy tanks – made easier because, at close to medium ranges, your accuracy means that you can target specific spots on an enemy tank.
The quick reload can also invoke a fear factor on your enemies, meaning that their attacks will be less confident and your allies can repel them easier.

Gun Depression

The Sexton I also has a good gun depression; -9 degrees. This is the best in its tier, even better than its successor, the Sexton II.
Generally, this feature is only noticeable when an enemy light tank manages to find you. In this scenario, the gun depression will allow you to easily shoot at the light, unlike some other Tier-3 SPGs, most prominently for the Bison, which may have trouble if the enemy tank gets too close. Also, -9 degrees of gun depression easily allows you to shoot down hills, if you station yourself on one.

Manoeuvrability

The manoeuvrability of the Sexton I is also good. At 24 degrees a second, it is the second fastest in its tier – again, only beaten by the SU-26 at 26 degrees a second. As with the gun depression, the Sexton I has better manoeuvrability than the Sexton II.
This only has one practical use; to fight enemy tanks that manage to find you. The fast hull traverse means that you can turn to face an approaching enemy tank quickly, if you are facing the wrong way. In a scenario like this, a few degrees of hull traverse can mean the difference between being able to fire at the tank or being circled and destroyed by it.

Cons

Alpha Damage

The most apparent weakness of the Sexton I, a trait shared with the Sexton II, is the low alpha damage. At 280, it is the second worst in its tier – only the SU-26 has worse alpha damage.
The low alpha damage means many of your shots on higher tiered opponents will result in low rolls or even, for tanks like the KV-1, no damage.
There is only one way to get around this problem; prioritising your targets. This is targeting thinly armoured tanks, instead of heavily armoured tanks. Shooting at thinly armoured targets means that you will do damage to any target that you manage to hit and the rolls might even be in the hundreds, instead of the tens. The high gun traverse, with a total 40 degrees, helps with this, as the lightly armoured tanks are normally quite fast.

Penetration

All the standard shell types for the Sexton I, as well as the Sexton II, have low penetration values. This weakness is a big one, as the Sexton I has a low alpha damage too.
In terms of the HE shell, the penetration is only 44mm. This is the second worse in its tier – as expected; the SU-26 has the lowest penetration of the Tier-3 SPGs, at 42mm.
The AP shell has a penetration of 71mm. Like the penetration of the HE shell, it is the second worst in its tier – this time, it is only the Wespe that has a worse AP shell penetration than the Sexton I.
The problem with the low penetration of the HE shell is the fact that many shots will only inflict a small amount of damage – and on heavily armoured targets you can also end up doing no damage.
The low penetration of the AP shell means that it can only be used for self-defence, unlike some SPGs which can pen enemy tanks, with their AP shells, from a distance.
There is no way to increase the penetration of the HE shell, including the use of equipment and perks, but you can increase the penetration of the AP shell. The only way to do this is to buy premium AP shells. This is quite expensive, 7 gold or 2,800 credits a piece, but it could easily save you from an enemy light tank.

Play-Style

The play-style of this tank is same as the standard way of playing SPGs; moving to a good area and supporting your allies from afar. The good positions are different in every map, so you'll have to find them yourself, but a good position will allow for you to cover multiple areas, especially areas which battles often take place.

As well as that, a safe distance from the enemy is 500m, or more, at Tier-3 to 5, as the tanks at this tier don't have a long view range. But you can also be more daring and get closer, for more accurate shots, or you could stay further away from the front lines, which means that you are safer from enemy tanks.

All in all, if you have any experience in other SPGs use it in this one, as almost all of the skills carry over.

Equipment

Here are a few recommended pieces of equipment for this tank.

Medium-Calibre Artillery Shell Rammer

The shell rammer is one of the most important pieces of equipment for the Sexton I. The point of using it is to further increase the rapid firing of the Sexton I. This means that more tanks can be permanently tracked by your shots, as different tanks can have faster track repairing speeds than others, and it helps increase the fear factor. Also, the decrease in the loading time means you can take more shots at the enemy, helping reduce the negative effect of the low alpha damage and low shell penetration.

Enhanced Gun Laying Drive

Since the 8.6 update, using an Enhanced Gun Laying Drive, to lower the aim time of a tank, is even more important than before. This is because, as you probably know, the time it takes for SPGs to aim has been dramatically increased. It also means that you can track moving targets easier, as speed that the bloom shrinks is faster.

Camouflage Net

Due to the high horizontal gun arc of the Sexton I, a Camouflage Net is especially useful; meaning that the Sexton I doesn’t always need to move its hull when switching between targets or tracking a moving target. The effect of this is that the Sexton I often gains the full potential of the increased camouflage ratings from the Camouflage Net, unlike some SPGs which need traverse their hull to do this.

Conclusion

The Sexton I is a fairly normal Tier-3 SPG. It has a few strengths and weaknesses but it is played almost the same as every other Tier-3 SPG.
This tank should only be bought for people who think they’ll like the Sexton I or for people who want to try out a Premium SPG, as the credit and experience earning is the same as all the other Tier-3 SPGs.

If you use this SPG, or the Sexton II, make sure you take some of this advice and thanks for reading this review  :smile:

Edited by Death2846, 25 April 2014 - 06:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users