Feedback and suggestion for future new tournaments

eSports Tournaments Feedback Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Hannt #1 Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

Staff sergeant

• 2159 battles

Good Afternoon,

First of all, we would like to thank all of you for your participation and support in the tournaments such as QYC, Siege of 8s & War of 5s. We hoped that all of you had truly enjoyed the experience so far.

As we always strive to improve in what we do, we hoped that you could provide some feedback and suggestions as to how the future tournaments could be tweaked to make it more attractive and exciting for both new and existing tournament players.

Here's a run down for the tournaments currently held on the server:

ASIA
Weekly Rumbles (Completed)
TanksAsia Masters [Now WGL] (Starting next week)
War of 5s (On-going)
Siege of 8s (On-going)
Quarter Year Championship [QYC] (Completed - held quarterly each year)

Also, to provide you with some ideas for a start, we would like to include some information regarding the current on-going/completed tournaments which were held on the North American and European server.

North America (NA):
Skirmishes - eg. 8 players per team roster with 3 as reserves. Max tier 6 with a total tier point of 28.
World of Tanks Classic - eg. 18 players per team roster with 3 as reserves. No limit for tiers with a total tier point of 90 limit. Only limited to two of any tank models.

Europe (EU):
Mangled Metal -  eg. 14 players per team roster with 5 as reserves. Total tier point of 90, maximum tier limit for LT = 8, while TD, SPG, MT and HT are all at 10.
Easy 8 - eg. 10-4 players with up to 6-10 reserve players. Max tier 8 for all tanks with a total tier point of 90.
Super 6 - eg. 14 players with 6 reserve players. Max tier 6 with a total tier point of 84.

Please let us know what would you like to see in future tournaments and what kind of format for it. For example, a round-robin or double elimination, 5/40 format.

While we had huge success with the participation for QYC, we hope to receive more feedback on what the current tournament formats could improve on or even potential new type of tournaments.

We truly value your feedback and please feel free to drop us some suggestions by posting in this thread.

All your feedback and suggestions will be greatly appreciated as we hoped to bring World of Tanks eSports to the next level.

Thank you for your time and patience!

Regards,
Hannt

Duncs #2 Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 13566 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

World of Tanks Classic, do it!

I think we're going too heavily into 7/42. Something like a Classic Season would be great. The limit of only two of any type of tank model sounds like an interesting mechanic also (if WG hadn't released T-62A Mk. II & III).

Edited by Atreides, 05 May 2014 - 02:57 PM.

SWS_Hans #3 Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 18554 battles
More prize money~ More bonus codes~ More 3v3! :veryhappy:

Elektroll #4 Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

First lieutenant

• 3293 battles

Historical Tournament?

like Historical Battle

Quantity VS Quality

eg.15 Tier 6s VS 8 Tier 8s

Twisted_Metal #5 Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 13672 battles

Since we have an abundance of bots, you could have a "Bot Off"

Where players pit their best botting software against one another.

Retired - Blame the Tomatoes

Ezz #6 Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 64296 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostTwisted_Metal, on 05 May 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Bot Wars - essentially the CW map, except no humans are allowed in the battles.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

TE_Deathskyz #7 Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 14924 battles
  • [DPS] DPS

ASIA

TanksAsia Masters [Now WGL] (Starting next week)

I think theres alot of hate from pretty much every major tourney team.

Previously top teams had to fight 3 times a week. If they failed they fight 4 times a week. So theres a natural incentive to NOT lose and fight to win.

However, with the new TAM, you fight 4 times a week if you want to stay in.

Problem is, people have lives.

The TAM takes away your Saturday and Sunday Mornings server time or your Sat and Sun Afternoons AUS time.

Basically it takes away your weekend lives of 7 people.

The previous season meant that if you fought well, your weekends arent touched. You get to enjoy live.

Now its basically a part time job.

War of 5s - Should be renamed War of Chaffees.

Theres absolutely no variety in this tourney. Basically Chaffee Spam. If your team doesnt have full Chaffees you dont stand a chance.

Edited by ISG_Deathskyz, 05 May 2014 - 05:46 PM.

Legend Has It That The Nyan Hetzer Is Still Flying Somewhere In The Universe In Search Of The Nyan Cat...
Do Not Worry About The Artillery Shell With Your Name On It. Instead, Worry About The Artillery Shell With A "To Whom It May Concern"...

Hannt #8 Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Staff sergeant

• 2159 battles

View PostAtreides, on 05 May 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

World of Tanks Classic, do it!

I think we're going too heavily into 7/42. Something like a Classic Season would be great. The limit of only two of any type of tank model sounds like an interesting mechanic also (if WG hadn't released T-62A Mk. II & III).

The standard tournament format used for major tournaments are all in 7/42, it's considered the most balanced compared to the other tiers. The only concern for classic is that it might tough to make up a full roster of 18 players.

View PostSWS_Hans, on 05 May 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

More prize money~ More bonus codes~ More 3v3! :veryhappy:

You seems to enjoy the 3v3 format Hans. The problem with 3v3 is the tank composition made up purely by chaffees, we might just limit it to 1 to 2 tanks each type to spice things up.

View PostElektroll, on 05 May 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Historical Tournament?

like Historical Battle

Quantity VS Quality

eg.15 Tier 6s VS 8 Tier 8s

This idea is interesting, but it might be hard to pull it off due to the tank limitations and the balance issues on the other hand. Could you elaborate more on the idea please!

View PostTwisted_Metal, on 05 May 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Botters doesn't join tournaments, even if they do, they do not stand a chance against players with tactical awareness (which most tournament players possess). Besides, bots aren't fun to watch.

Hannt #9 Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Staff sergeant

• 2159 battles

View PostISG_Deathskyz, on 05 May 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

War of 5s - Should be renamed War of Chaffees.

Theres absolutely no variety in this tourney. Basically Chaffee Spam. If your team doesnt have full Chaffees you dont stand a chance.

Same as what I've replied to Hans about this, we're looking at restricting the same type of tanks to just two or even one to keep it interesting, that is if you guys still likes the 3v3 format.

As for WGL, we've received all the feedback regarding the schedules and timing, we'll take that into consideration for second season's planning. However for this season, I could only advise you and your teammates to treat it as an additional commitment. Afterall, you'll be getting a sponsored trip to Korea along with the cash prizes of 60K USD as incentives for you to consider. Keep up the faith, you'll see an improvement in season two. :happy:

Revenants #10 Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 10815 battles
  • [ATB] ATB

G'day Hannt

Like the current events but the original Rumbles & Skirmish matches were the bread and butter for training members to work together & see how much fun could be had in tournaments.

The war of 5's & siege of 8's are good but need to be able to include as many members as possible ,for my clan we have members from WA /east coast AUS/ NZ so we have WA on server time +2 for east coast AUS then +2 for our Kiwi members.

eg :Siege of 8's time 19:30 UTC +8 (11:30 UTC) 7:30pm WA,9:30pm EC/AUS, 11:30pm NZ  nicely timed

eg: War of 5's time 15:00 UTC +8 (7:00 UTC)     3:00pm WA ,5:00pm ec AUS, 7:00pm NZ  and this is a week day !  no participation of WA or east coast members.

The other thing is while we understand your hoping to get 128 teams into these tournaments exactly how many do get to the  application's pending against applications approved because it appears each event that a hand full of teams get battles and 3/4 get bye's some get bye's through 2 rounds and if these rounds start at 1/64 then they are at the 16team 1/8 before they fire a shot so is there a way that these empty rounds can be altered so that the earlier you enter your application you may gain a "bye" if all other battle slots can be filled rather than the hand full of battles being fought.

Of the tournaments suggested above the following would work

Skirmishes - eg. 8 players per team roster with 3 as reserves. Max tier 6 with a total tier point of 28.
World of Tanks Classic - eg. 18 players per team roster with 3 as reserves. No limit for tiers with a total tier point of 90 limit. Only limited to two of any tank models.

My only concern is the member numbers for the classic would be hard for most clans as the active membership's in clan with no tier limit would be in clan wars were smaller clans who could benefit would be struggling to get 18 + 3 reserves   . Maybe a 6 man skirmish & 8 man+ 2 reserves up to tier 8 classic.

You could run 2 comps ..Siege of 8's & Classic 8's and then the two champion sides from both play of  for the Supreme 8 champion team and again do the same with the 5's.

Round robin events for 1/ 8's & 1/ 5's then .a knock-out event 1/8's & 1/5's over a number of weeks were teams battle each other over 3 nights /3 matches per night ...win 2 nights out of three .

Hope this helps

Revenants

Edited by Revenants, 06 May 2014 - 08:55 AM.

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” Thomas A. Edison

Hannt #11 Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Staff sergeant

• 2159 battles

Greetings Revenants,

Thank you for your feedback. The timings for Siege of 8s and War of 5s were intentionally scheduled like this, since this server consist of multiple countries, the solution was to schedule two different competition at two different timings to accommodate everyone for it. Either you join the War of 5s where the timing is more suitable for you, or Siege of 8s vice versa. We might consider rotating the timings so that everyone could try out both Siege of 8s and War of 5s.

Regarding the applications, we will always try to allow as many teams as possible for every tournament (as long as your team has the minimum amount of players for it), however when the teams were capped at 128 for each tournament and you only have 80+ teams approved for it, we can't possibly slot them into the Round of 64 (1 / 32) and reject approximately 20 teams for it. That explains why you get to see so many teams getting a bye in the first round of 128. In addition, whenever both teams get a draw in the first round of 128, one of the next scheduled opponent in the Round of 64 would receive a bye due to the teams being disqualified for the draw. Hoped this clarified your doubts regarding teams receiving the lucky bye draws. - We are considering reducing the amount of teams from 128 to 64 for both Siege of 8s and War of 5s, slots will be more competitive this way as well.

As for a round robin event, since WGL is rather time commitment heavy, we hope to introduce a new tournament where it isn't as heavy as WGL to balance it up (alongside Siege of 8s and War of 5s). If we were to hold a round robin tournament, the entire tournament might require more time/matches to complete.

Does your team mind if you are in a tournament where you are required to play 3 matches each night for 3 nights in a week? (looking at 2-3hours minimum each night)

Do feel free to drop more suggestions and help us improve. Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Hannt

Revenants #12 Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 10815 battles
  • [ATB] ATB

Most of the current tournaments are best of 3 so what hassle is there in playing all three a night at 10 - 15min each ,2 min interval = 1 hr max

You could run 2 types of 8's tournaments similar to the US baseball where 2 series operate under 2 different rules then the series champions battle at the end.

one a round robin the other a tiered knock out but just a suggestion either way you will find out which people prefer over all .

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” Thomas A. Edison

Hannt #13 Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Staff sergeant

• 2159 battles

View PostRevenants, on 06 May 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Most of the current tournaments are best of 3 so what hassle is there in playing all three a night at 10 - 15min each ,2 min interval = 1 hr max

You could run 2 types of 8's tournaments similar to the US baseball where 2 series operate under 2 different rules then the series champions battle at the end.

one a round robin the other a tiered knock out but just a suggestion either way you will find out which people prefer over all .

You might have misunderstood that, 3 matches would be 3 rounds of matches which equates to approximately 3 hours of tournament game time. Not just one round of BO3.

I wouldn't mind running 2 types of 8s tournament even if there's more stuffs for me to handle, however, we have to take into consideration of the number of teams participating in these tournaments. It will be hard to justify splitting up into 2 different series where we can barely make up 128 teams for a tournament.

We could do a run for 64 teams with the current War of 5s and Siege of 8s. Re-invite the overall top teams and split them into two series (running concurrently) while allowing new teams to participate. Making it two concurrent series with 32 teams on each side. For the Top 4 of each series, we'll then do a round-robin and finally a double elimination bracket to determine the overall winner. That of course would take up prolly 2-3 weeks to complete the whole tournament. This is just an example.

Revenants #14 Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 10815 battles
  • [ATB] ATB

G'day Hannt

That sounds like a plan to me mate after all its just a suggestion and you know your job better than me but i like it .

kick it around a bit to get the best solution and see where it goes .

All the best

Revenants

Fendalton #15 Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

• 11116 battles
  • [LUCK] LUCK

E-Sport team recruitment thread?

* Edit: Would we benefit from having an E-Sport team recruitment thread? I wouldn't mind being in a team apart from a, stats say i'm a baddie and b, I know hardly anyone who is in a team looking for players. 

Edited by Fendalton, 07 May 2014 - 07:35 AM.

Hannt #16 Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Staff sergeant

• 2159 battles

@Revenants

Cheers mate, do let me know if you have anymore suggestions or feedback for a tournament.

View PostFendalton, on 07 May 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

E-Sport team recruitment thread?

* Edit: Would we benefit from having an E-Sport team recruitment thread? I wouldn't mind being in a team apart from a, stats say i'm a baddie and b, I know hardly anyone who is in a team looking for players. 

That's a pretty sweet idea, I will work on it and come up with the thread for it. Cheers!

dead_man_walking #17 Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 20387 battles
  • [-NRD-] -NRD-

Hann I saw a suggestion from Dragon (SNTR) that could overcome the timings issues:

Have 2 "knock out" tourneys during the week - 1/32 (64 teams) 1 @ 10PM Server time and the other @ 7PM server time.

The top 4 or 8 from each meet on the Sat/Sun for the finals of the overall tournament.  Small prizes for the weekday knockouts (<1K Gold top team) and a top up prize for the winners of the TZ battles (somewhere between 2.5K and 5K gold).

Otherwise - with WGLA up and running now - there really isn't the time left for other comps for the usual suspects.  I'd suggest running some of the "fun" comps in their place to get some interest/participation from those that wouldn't normally join in.

E.G.

Aarty Paarty which from memory was all arty limited by tier (1 per tier 7 a side);

Mix'n'match 5 a side, 1 tank of each class, 1 tank of each tier; 

"Nation" themes - All German, All Russian etc 5 or 7 a side pick a tier or point limit - probably worth putting limits on classes (used to do 5v5 tier 5 max with HT/MT tier 5, TD tier 4, SPG/LT tier 3 limited by the rules)

"No holds barred" - 9 a side no limits

etc

Hannt #18 Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

Staff sergeant

• 2159 battles

Hi DMW,

I've seen the suggestion by DQ about 2 "knock out" tourneys with a different time schedule. The idea itself is pretty sweet, since it could provide players with an alternative choice for a change. But the problem is that one time slot could have 60 teams participating while the other only have 20 teams, and it wouldn't be fair for the teams in the first one (grouped with 59 other teams) since the other side would only have 19 other teams to compete against. Since we'll only be selecting top 4 in each slot, it could be easily exploited by teams which could play at either of the timings (or based on being in the group with the lesser teams).

Siege of 8s and War of 5s will be continuing on alternate week, and it will be held concurrently along side WGL APAC-ASIA. This would provide more options for other teams who wouldn't wish to join WGL APAC-ASIA due to time constraint issues or differences in skill-level. Also, Siege of 8s and War of 5s would be held at a different timing, which is exactly the opposite of WGL APAC-ASIA (the timing would not clash). Even with these 3 tournaments, we're still hoping to come up with more tournaments to keep you guys entertained and provide more choices to the more casual teams. That's one of the reasons why i'm trying to gather for more feedback from the community before it's being implemented.

The idea of a Mix'n'Match 5 a side and "Nation" themes sounds good, we take that into consideration as well. Thank you for your suggestions DMW!

Regards,

Hannt

Nikolai69 #19 Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 9963 battles

Dear WG staff,

the timings for the new WGL is really not good for some players, because you have to understand some religion groups are busy on Sundays and it is a big commitment. Timings for the battles could be adjusted to be more family friendly (Sundays are family days haven't you heard?)  and not a stressful obligation for 7 weeks. Please do take this into consideration for the present WGL and future WGLs.

Hannt #20 Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Staff sergeant

• 2159 battles

It has been noted Nikolai. We'll take into consideration of that while planning for future schedules. Overall, we'll still be looking at the big picture since the tournaments consist of teams from various countries.

Thank you for your feedback!

Also tagged with eSports, Tournaments, Feedback, Suggestions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users