Premium Tank Review Contest "SU-85I"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Elphaba #1 Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Private

• Beta-Tester
  • 995 battles

Event Start Time: 9 May 2014 14:00 (UTC+8) 

Event End Time: 16 May 2014 14:00 (UTC+8) 

Hi Commanders,

Finding the right tank to add to your garage can be difficult. In our Premium Tank Review Series, we want to hear from our tank commanders their own personal opinions on our featured tanks to help other players make their choice when they finally decide to bring that long-coveted tank home!

This time, we'd like to read about your thoughts on the "SU-85I"!

Mechanics:

1. Post your best review of the featured tank focusing on the following details:
    • Pros
    • Cons
    • Equipment recommendations
    • Crew Skill recommendations
    • Gameplay tips
  2. Use of images in your review is recommended but not mandatory.
  3. Contest is limited to one entry per account so make it good!

Prize:

• 3 winners of 1000 gold.

Hype_ #2 Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

I mean, it could be worse

• 8774 battles

*The SU-85I*

Historical Info:

There was only one program to modernize the SU-76i, started in Fall 1943. From the initiative of A.I.Kashtanov, a project was started to rearm the SU-76i with an 85mm gun. On 17.9.1943, chief designer of Plant No.37 recieved the following letter from the chief of technology department of NKTP by the name of Frezerov:
“The project developed by you to install the 85mm D-5S-85 gun on Panzer III chassis (SU-85i) cannot currently proceed due to the lack of enough 85mm D-5 guns and due to the question whether new Panzer III tanks will be delivered being unclear. I consider it appropriate to temporarily stop the aforementioned development and to save the developed material for further use in the future.”

Pros and Cons:

Pros:
  • Heavily armored gun manlet
  • HP: 380, 2nd place among tier V, after AT2 (450)
  • Good top speed: 50km/h, backward: 14km/h
  • Good signal range: 525 m
  • Great weight limit that can sustain heavy equipment
  • Mobility may slightly better than StuG III (Su-85I >< StuG III)
  • Good RoF: 13,33 rounds/min
  • Crazy DPM: 2132 damages per minute o.O
  • It’s ... rare ^.^
Cons:
  • Poor view range: 330 m
  • Useless armor in tier VI-VII matches: Hull armor 60/30/50 mm
  • Poor penetration: 119/161/43 mm

How to play it:

Play it as a support tank, the Armour is not quite good enough to be either a sniper nor a heavily armored vehicle.

You have a pretty good RoF so you can track enemies for your team focus fire, one shot to track- one shot to damage.

Crew skill (Recommend)
Commander: BiA, Sixth Sense, Camo, Situational Awareness, Repair
Gunner: BiA, Camo, Deadeye, Snapshot, Repair
Driver: BiA, Camo, Clutch Braking, Smooth Ride, Off Road
Loader: BiA, Camo, Safe Stowage, Repair

Equipment (Recommend)
Gun Rammer
Camouflage net
Improved ventilation

Edited by FastTrackedGaming, 09 May 2014 - 07:12 PM.

minhthixda #3 Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Private

• 8278 battles
Crew
  1. Commander
  2. Gunner
  3. Driver
  4. Loader(Radio Operator)

Mobility

Engine Power 300 h.p.

Speed Limit 50 km/h

Traverse Speed 48 deg/sec

Turret Traverse Speed 44 deg/sec

Armor

Hull Armor (mm)
  • front 60
  • sides 30
  • rear 50

Armament

Gun 85 mm D-5S-85A

Ammunition 58 pcs

Damage 120-200 HP

Armor Penetration 89-149 mm

Rate of Fire 13.33 rounds/min

View Range 330 m

Signal Range 525 m

Configuration

Guns

Guns

Tier Gun Damage
(НР)
Penetration
(mm)
Rate of Fire
(rounds/min)
Price
(credits)

VI 85 mm D-5S-85A 160/160/280 119/161/43 13.33 --

Engines

Engines

Tier Engine Power
(h.p.)
Chance of Fire
(%)
Price
(credits)

IV Maybach HL 120 TRM 300 20 --

Suspensions

Suspensions

Tier Suspension Load Limit
(t)
Traverse Speed
(deg/sec)
Price
(credits)

VI SU-85I 24.38 48 --

Radios

Radios

Tier Radio Signal Range
(m)
Price
(credits)

VIII 9RM 525  

Attached Files

• Attached File   93688700_1378128481_40863892_WotTankViewer_x86_2013-08-27_11-21-03-625.jpg   87.53K

kkriyad #4 Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Corporal

• 14400 battles
  • [B-A-D] B-A-D

Unavailable  SU-85I

Icon
USSR TD Tier V

Battle Tiers
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Totals

Cost This tank is not available to players on EU/NA/SEA servers.

Hit Points 380 HP

Weight Limit 22.4/24.4 t

Crew
Commander
Radio Operator
Gunner
Driver
Loader

Mobility

Engine Power 300 hp

Speed Limit 50/14 km/h

Traverse 48 deg/s

Power/Wt Ratio 13.39 hp/t

Pivot Yes

Armor

Hull Armor 60/30/50 mm

Armament

Damage 120-200 HP

Penetration 89-149 mm

Rate of Fire 13.33 r/m

Accuracy 0.42 m

Aim time 2.3 s

Gun Traverse Speed
deg/s

Gun Arc -10°/+10°

Elevation Arc -5°/+25°

Ammo Capacity 58 rounds

General

Chance of Fire 20 %

View Range 330 m

Signal Range
m

Parent none

Child none

Research

USSR-SU 85I.png

The SU-85I is a Soviet tier 5 premium tank destroyer. It is currently not available from the in-game store.

A proposed modification of captured German PzKpfw III tanks, which were to be mounted with the 85 mm gun. Never entered mass production nor saw service.

It was planned to be available on the Russian Portal in a special Gift Box edition along with the BT-SV, MTLS-1G14 and Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J, the enclosed code was valid for use on the RU, EU, NA and SEA servers, however at this time none have been released to the player base other than Press Accounts, WG staff accounts, and Super Testers. (At the moment there is no record of one being released to players on the NA/EU/SEA server)

Modules

Gun
Tier Name Ammo Damage Penetration Shell Price Rate of Fire Accuracy Aim Time Elevation XP Cost Price Weight
VI 85 mm D-5S-85A 58 160/160/280 HP 119/161/43 mm 109 Credits/7 Gold/98 Credits 13.33 r/m 0.42 m 2.3 s -5°/+25° --- --- 960 kg

Engine
Tier Name Power Fire Chance Type XP Cost Price Weight
IV Maybach HL 120 TRM 300 hp 20 % Gasoline --- --- 920 kg

Suspension
Tier Name Load Limit Traverse Speed XP Cost Price Weight
VI SU-85I 24.4 t 48 d/s --- --- 7,000 kg

Radio
Tier Name Range XP Cost Price Weight
VIII 9RM
m
--- --- 30 kg

Historical Info

The SU-85I was a medium tank destroyer developed by Lew S. Trojanow on the Panzer III during the early war as a response to the new well armored german tanks.

darkbing #5 Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

Private

• 2661 battles
  • [HM] HM
  • IconSU-851 - Tank Destroyer (Review)

•  
  •  
  • Pros
  • Armor: Heavily armored vehicle. That has a better chance of deflection of bullet and lower penetration chance of enemies.
  • HP: 380 -- A above average hp for a tank destroyer.
  • Crews: Has 5 crews, More crews can get perks and skills to improve the performance of the tank.
  • Speed: The tank speed is fast, can run up to 50/14 km/h.
  • Tank Accuracy: Shots are accurate! Lesser chance to waste ammo / miss shots.
  • Ammo price is ok
  • As said Rare :)
  • Damage (85 mm): 180/180/300 -- this damage is excellent especially in the same rank battles. It can punch straight to a lower or same tank by just one shot!
  •  
  •  
  • Cons
  • Fixed turret -- can be flanked by fast light/medium tanks by aiming at your back.
  • When hit by tracks, vehicle is trapped and not able to hit the enemy if it goes onto his back. (Recommendation: Toolbox / Repair kit / Repair Skills)
  •  
  • Equipment recommendations
  •  
  • Option A: Tank Gun Rammer + Improved Ventilation + Camoflauge net
  • Option B: Tank Gun Rammer + Toolbox + Camoflauge net
  •  
  • Crew Skill recommendations
  • Commander: Sixth Sense
  • Radio Operator: Repair 
  • Gunner: Dead Eye
  • Driver: Clutch Braking
  • Loader: Adrenaline Rush
  • Gameplay tips

Sleight #6 Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 8792 battles

Hello everyone! Get ready to set your seats because:

We are gonna have another "Sleight" review!

And today's tank that needed a review: The Tier 5 Premium Russian Tank Destroyer SU-85I!

(Again, credits go to wiki.worldoftanks.com)

Alright, time for some-

STATISTICS

FULL DESIGNATION: SAMOKHODNAYA USTANOVKA 85(i)

MANUFACTURER: Originally by DAIMLER-BENZ for the Panzer III hull, but was captured and refitted by Russia

SERVICE DURATION: Never saw service

PRODUCED: Never saw mass production

CLASSIFICATION: TANK DESTROYER

TIER: 5

BATTLE TIER: 5 - 7

NATIONALITY: RUSSIAN

PREMIUM: YES

PRECEDING TANK: NONE

SUCCEEDING TANK: NONE

LENGTH: 5.56 METERS / 20 FEET - 0 INCHES (Barrel length excluded)

WIDTH: 2.9 METERS / 9 FEET - 6 INCHES (Probably unchanged from the original Panzer III)

HEIGHT: 2.5 METERS / 8 FEET - 2 INCHES (More or less; based on the Panzer III dimensions)

HIT POINTS: 380 HIT POINTS

COST: Unavailable to EU/NA/SEA servers

WEIGHT: 22.4 TONNES

MAXIMUM WEIGHT TOLERANCE: 24.4 TONNES

CREW CAPACITY: 5

COMMANDER (6th Sense)(BIA)(CAMO)

GUNNER (Snap Shot)(BIA)(CAMO)

LOADER (Intuition)(BIA)(CAMO)

DRIVER (Clutch Braking)(BIA)(CAMO)

RADIO OPERATOR (Signal Boosting)(BIA)(CAMO)

----> This is my recommended skill loadout for this tank.

POWERPLANT: 12-CYLINDER MAYBACH HL 120 TRM GENERATING 300 HORSEPOWER

FUEL: GASOLINE

CHANCE TO IGNITE FUEL IF SHOT: 20%

SUSPENSION: TORSION BAR

TOP SPEED: 50 KILOMETERS PER HOUR / 31 MILES PER HOUR

HORSEPOWER - WEIGHT RATIO: 13.39 HORSEPOWER PER TONNE

HULL TRAVERSE SPEED: 48 DEGREES PER SECOND

GUN TRAVERSE SPEED: 44 DEGREES PER SECOND

ARMAMENT: 85MM D-5S-85A

AMMUNITION: ARMOR PIERCING / ARMOR PIERCING COMPOSITE RIGID / HIGH EXPLOSIVE

AMMUNITION CAPACITY: 58 ROUNDS TOTAL

ELEVATION ARC: -5 DEGREES - +25 DEGREES FROM HORIZONTAL

GUN ARC: 20 DEGREES (10 DEGREES LEFT / 10 DEGREES RIGHT)

AIM TIME: 2.3 SECONDS

ACCURACY AT 100 METERS: 0.42 METERS

RATE OF FIRE: 13.33 ROUNDS PER MINUTE / 4.5 SECONDS PER ROUND

TRIGGER: SEMI-AUTOMATIC SINGLE ROUND

AVERAGE PENETRATION:

ARMOR PIERCING - 119 MILLIMETERS

ARMOR PIERCING COMPOSITE RIGID - 161 MILLIMETERS

HIGH EXPLOSIVE - 43 MILLIMETERS

AVERAGE DAMAGE:

ARMOR PIERCING - 160 HIT POINTS

ARMOR PIERCING COMPOSITE RIGID - 160 HIT POINTS

HIGH EXPLOSIVE - 280 HIT POINTS

ARMOR:

HULL:

FRONT: 60 MILLIMETERS

SIDES: 30 MILLIMETERS

REAR: 50 MILLIMETERS

VIEW RANGE: 330 METERS

SIGNAL RANGE: 525 METERS

COMPATIBLE EQUIPMENT:

IMPROVED VENTILATION CLASS 2 - MAJOR QUALIFICATION TO ALL CREW +5% (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR OVERALL PERFORMANCE)

MEDIUM-CALIBER TANK GUN RAMMER - SHELL RELOAD TIME -10% (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR OBVIOUS REASONS)

ENHANCED GUN LAYING DRIVE - AIM TIME -10% (This is optional. Use this if you feel like you change targets every 2 seconds or so.)

COATED OPTICS - VIEW RANGE +10% (Not recommended as the radio will do most of your looking.)

ADDITIONAL GROUSERS - TERRAIN RESISTANCE -9.1% ON SOFT GROUND/ -4.8% ON AVERAGE SOIL (Agility +1)

CYCLONE FILTER - ENGINE HIT POINTS +50% (Use this if you feel like your engine is usually getting shot off. But I recommend not using it as your engine is behind you.)

"WET" AMMO RACK CLASS 1 - AMMO RACK HIT POINTS +50% (Considering this tank has low HP, you would be dead before they blow up.)

ENHANCED TORSION BARS 3 T CLASS - SUSPENSION LOAD LIMIT +10% - SUSPENSION HIT POINTS +30% - SUSPENSION DAMAGE REDUCTION FROM IMPACT +50% (Use this to keep running while under fire.)

BINOCULAR TELESCOPE - VIEW RANGE +25% WHILE STATIONARY (Not recommended)

CAMOUFLAGE NET - CAMOUFLAGE FACTOR +25% WHILE STATIONARY (RECOMMENDED, but requires you to stand still.)

TOOLBOX - REPAIR SPEED TO DAMAGE MODULES +25% (Situational, use only if you get damaged modules more than getting killed.)

Now that those are on the table, let's look at its-

GAMEPLAY:

Let's go over the summary of its history first.

This tank has never seen any action in real life...that's about it... I'd like to quote a certain block "For-The-Record", if ya know what I mean. Anyways, it goes like this:

Spoiler

...Thanks FTR for bringing that up, considering this tank is a super rare tank to see in battles.

So with a tank (destroyer) that has barely any history written on its metal face, where would this totting Russian-German monstrosity belong? Honestly speaking, I have no idea. BUT, I do know what would its role be just by looking at its statistics.

First off, we can see that it uses that infamous 85 from what the original SU-85 uses during its time, albeit(although) modified. This gives the sniper an edge in combat. But the drawbacks are its bad armor and low view range. Although the 85mm gun is not as powerful and as accurate as the one the SU-85 can hold (85 mm D5S-85BM), this tank has the mobility of the Panzer III, given its origin. By trading off firepower for some extra agility, this tank is a true hybrid between the debated SU-85 and the StuG III.

By combining the Russian firepower with German mobility of the two debated tank destroyers, the SU-85I fills the gap between them. Moreover, it can use certain equipment that most tanks couldn't equip. Thus, making this tank a very well adaptive sniper. By varying the equipment loadout of this tank, we also change the playstyle. But there is a general framework for which the playstyle should mesh into.

This tank is a tank destroyer. And as such, this tank should focus on high priority targets, usually ones who are dishing out "tons of damage"(lol phreak reference). And the TD must do it in isolated locations hidden from prying scouts. As usual, when the time is right, relocate. This tank has more than enough agility to relocate. And the fact that it's turretless makes relocating a snap. Take time to snipe from afar and move when there are no more opportune shots. And if things get too hot, this tank has the legs to crawl back into the team.

As much as possible, try not to "support" your team from behind their metal castings. They tend to move a lot, making you open or losing your line of fire. Go for the flanks, stay with dependable mediums to keep you safe.

And now for the PROS and CONS

PROS:

-High Penetration - 119 mm is good enough to penetrate most tanks your tier and above, especially their sides!

-High Alpha Damage - Always wondered why it was called as "Alpha Damage"...but who would care anyway, you can take em out faster!

-High Signal Range - This will help you A LOT since you are blind as a bat.

-High Agility - Hull traverse is good. Acceleration is moderate. Top speed is good. As good as the StuG III!

CONS:

-Low HP Pool - Although it is low, it is above average in comparison to its other brothers.

-Low Armor Values - This is bad since you can't take more than AT Rifle Fire from the enemy!

-Low View Range - "I see but I can't see. To me, darkness is as visible as the light. What am I?"

There aren't much to say on this tank since it was never released in the SEA server. I even wonder myself why I'm making this review for a tank that was barely available to anyone in the server.

Needless to say, it behaves much like a turretless Hellcat in my opinion.

And this concludes the "Sleight" Review of the mysterious SU-85I!

Again, "Tank you very much" Readers and have an adventurous day!

Edited by Sleight, 10 May 2014 - 12:22 AM.

The_Aegareis #7 Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:57 AM

Private

• Beta-Tester
  • 8089 battles

Greetings Tank Commanders, this is The Aegareis(I am not related to Athena's Aegis)
Today, we are going to have a review of the Premium Soviet Tank Destroyer-

SU-85I

SUMMARY

A tier 5 tank that combines mobility and deadly force for its tier. According to World of Tanks wiki, this tank is a "Proposed Modification" of the captured German Panzerkampfwagen(PzKpfw) III tanks. Meaning this is just a mere idea, thus never saw mass production nor entered service.

STATISTICS and INFORMATION

Tier = 5

Tiering in Battle = 5-7

Classification = Tank Destroyer

Tank Designation = Самоходная Установка (Samokhodnaya Ustanovka) ; meaning = Self-propelled carriage

Hitpoints = 380HP

Weight = 22.4/24.4t

Crew = 5

• Commander
  • Radio Operator
  • Gunner
  • Driver
  • Loader

Mobility

Engine = Maybach HL 120 TRM

Engine Tier = 4
Engine Power = 300hp

Engine Weight = 920kg

Fuel Type = Gasoline

Speed = 50km/h around 31mi/h

Traverse = 48 deg/s

Power/Wt Ratio = 13.39hp/t

Pivot = Yes

Tracks = SU-85I

Tracks Tier = 6

Tracks Weight = 7,000kg

Tracks Load Limit = 24.4t

Armor

Hull Armor = 60/30/50 mm (Front/Sides/Rear)

Chassis = Pz.Kpfw. III (Captured by the Soviet Union)

Armament

Gun = 85mm D-5S-85A

Gun Tier = 6

Damage, Penetration and Cost:

AP = 160HP and 119mm for 109 credits/shell

APCR = 160HP and 161mm  for 7 gold/shell

HE = 280HP and 43mm for 98 credits/shell

Rate of Fire = 13.33 r/m

Accuracy = 0.42m

Aim time = 2.3s

Gun Weight = 960kg

Gun Traverse Speed = 44 deg/s

Gun Arc = -10°/+10°

Elevation Arc = -5°/+25°

Ammo Capacity = 58 rounds

General

Chance of Fire = 20%

View Range = 330m

Radio = 9RM

Radio Tier = 8

Radio Weight = 30kg

Signal Range = 525m

Compatible Equipments

Improved Ventilation Class 2

Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer

Enhanced Gun Laying Drive

Coated Optics

Additional Grousers

Cyclone Filter

"Wet" Ammo Rack Class 1

Enhanced Torsion Bars 3 t Class

Binocular Telescope

Camouflage Net

Toolbox 

Compatible Consumables

Small Repair Kit

Small First Aid Kit

Manual Fire Extinguishers

Lend-Lease Oil

Removed Speed Governor

Large Repair Kit

Large First Aid Kit

Automatic Fire Extinguishers

Extra Combat Rations 

GAMEPLAY and RECOMMENDATION

Based from the playstyle of the Pz.Kpfw. III, the mobility is its trump card. Running around the field may actually increase its chance to survive. Keep in mind that this isn't a scout nor a light tank. Its a Tank Destroyer, thus it is played like one. The deadly 85mm gun may not be as strong as the original SU-85 but it is a bit faster to reload. Compared to the original SU-85's top gun, the accuracy is far better than SU-85I has, making this tank destroyer a mid-ranged type. Sniping would not be wise for this tank destroyer considering its inaccuracy of its gun and not advisable to support heavy tanks from the rear as you'd be exposed before you could even shoot.

My recommendation is to be swift and be selective on your targets, that means you have to put this TD on the move and support the medium tanks instead. The penetration of this gun isn't going to do much damage on heavy tanks(crippling them from advancing is plausible) but rather on the softer targets. The 58 rounds will always keep you on the safe zone even if you missed several shots for 5-6 mins. Of course, nobody wants to miss shots and be revealed.

The armor of this tank is not that good, and this is why it should move around a lot. Hull down position isn't wise either. Do not put your trust too much on its gun mantle, it may be really thick but your entire structure is not.

The view range of this TD is better (compared to SU-85), but you will still need the medium tanks to scout for you (light tanks will do fine as well). Remember to stay with your allies and avoid isolation as it is your waterloo(weakness).

When you enter a higher tier battle, don't lose hope just yet. This TD can still play with the big boys. Help your team by assisting them in flanking, try pestering your targets with sheer annoying maneuvers and shots allowing your team to take the score.

Here's my load out for this tank:

Commander = 6th Sense, BIA, Camouflage

Radio Operator = Signal Boosting, BIA, Camouflage

Driver = Clutch Braking, BIA, Camouflage

Gunner = Deadeye, BIA, Camoflage

Loader = Repair, BIA, Camouflage

Equipments

Improved Ventilation Class 2Medium-Caliber Tank Gun RammerCamouflage Net  

Surprise your targets while remaining behind the medium tanks.

Light Tank going to flank you? Your Clutch Braking will make your TD turn faster.

Fill up the gaps with your role as a decent TD/Medium Hybrid.

Well, that sums up the review. Thanks for reading, good luck and roll out!

今, 終わりましょうか?
Now, Shall we finish this?

ASRITHDOESMC #8 Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

Private

• 6220 battles

~~
SU-85I

Icon

USSR TD Tier V

Battle Tiers

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Totals

Cost
This tank is not available to players on EU/NA/SEA servers.

Hit Points
380 HP 

Weight Limit
22.4/24.4 t 

Crew

Commander
 Radio Operator
 Gunner
 Driver
 Loader

Mobility

Engine Power
300 hp 

Speed Limit
50/14 km/h 

Traverse
48 deg/s 

Power/Wt Ratio
13.39 hp/t 

Pivot
Yes

Armor

Hull Armor
60/30/50 mm 

Armament

Damage
120-200 HP 

Penetration
89-149 mm 

Rate of Fire
13.33 r/m 

Accuracy
0.42 m 

Aim time
2.3 s 

Gun Traverse Speed

deg/s 

Gun Arc
-10°/+10° 

Elevation Arc
-5°/+25°

Ammo Capacity
58 rounds 

General

Chance of Fire
20 % 

View Range
330 m 

Signal Range

Parent
none

Child
none

Research

USSR-SU 85I.png

The SU-85I is a Soviet tier 5 premium tank destroyer. It is currently not available from the in-game store.

A proposed modification of captured German PzKpfw III tanks, which were to be mounted with the 85 mm gun. Never entered mass production nor saw service.

It was planned to be available on the Russian Portal in a special Gift Box edition along with the BT-SV, MTLS-1G14 and Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J, the enclosed code was valid for use on the RU, EU, NA and SEA servers, however at this time none have been released to the player base other than Press Accounts, WG staff accounts, and Super Testers. (At the moment there is no record of one being released to players on the NA/EU/SEA server)

Modules

Gun

Tier

Name

Ammo

Damage

Penetration

Shell Price

Rate of Fire

Accuracy

Aim Time

Elevation

XP Cost

Price

Weight

VI 85 mm D-5S-85A 58 160/160/280 HP  119/161/43 mm  109 Credits/7 Gold/98 Credits  13.33 r/m  0.42 m  2.3 s  -5°/+25°  --- --- 960 kg 

Engine

Tier

Name

Power

Fire Chance

Type

XP Cost

Price

Weight

IV Maybach HL 120 TRM 300 hp  20 %  Gasoline --- --- 920 kg 

Suspension

Tier

Name

Load Limit

Traverse Speed

XP Cost

Price

Weight

VI SU-85I 24.4 t  48 d/s  --- --- 7,000 kg 

Radio

Tier

Name

Range

XP Cost

Price

Weight

VIII 9RM
m  --- --- 30 kg 

Player Opinion

Pros and Cons

Pros:
•Heavily armored gun manlet
•Good top speed
•Good signal range
•Great weight limit that can sustain heavy equipment

Cons:
•Poor view range
•Useless armor in tier VI-VII matches
•Poor penetration

Performance

As many think this tank is not a sniper, it should be played like a support tank, remember your armor is not powerful against tier VI-VII tanks. After you fire some shells you should relocate

Early Research

None required, this is a premium tank.

Historical Info

The SU-85I was a medium tank destroyer developed by Lew S. Trojanow on the Panzer III during the early war as a response to the new well armored german tanks.

ASRITHDOESMC!!!!!!!:arta:

skullwolf #9 Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 14656 battles
SU-85i review by skullwolf

Edited by skullwolf, 14 May 2014 - 01:40 PM.

nmdelrio #10 Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:55 AM

Staff sergeant

• 6404 battles
  • [OORT] OORT

I had good fun and good learning with this one. Bring out the popcorn :popcorn:

RachelleJM #11 Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:14 PM

Corporal

• 34029 battles

He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them. - Sun Tzu "Chapter IX, The Art of War"

Historical Overview
The SU-85I was a modernization project initiative to rearm the SU-76I with an 85mm D-5S-85 gun; a fixed casemate tank destroyer with 76mm gun that was built on captured German Pz.Kpfw. III chassis. The project was canceled mainly due to shortage of the 85mm guns and the questionable reliance of captured German tanks for repair and maintenance parts.

SU-85I in World of Tanks
It is a Tier V premium tank destroyer with comparable capabilities with the SU-85 TD. Comparison of both tank destroyers including the Tier V German StuG III Ausf. G (another Pz.Kpfw. III chassis based TD) are highlighted below:

Tier V Tank Destroyer

StuG III Ausf. G

SU-85I

SU-85

Hit Points (HP)

Armor: Front/Side Rear (mm)

80/30/30

60/30/50

45/45/45

Speed : Fwd / Reverse

(km/h)

40 / 10

50 / 14

55 / 14

Hull Traverse Speed

44 d/s

48 d/s

35 d/s

Shell Penetration AP/APCR/HE (mm)

150 / 194 / 38

119 / 161 / 43

144 / 194 / 44

Shell Hit Points damage AP/APCR/HE (HP)

135 / 135 /175

160 / 160 / 280

180 / 180 / 300

View Range (m)

Rate of Fire (r/m)

Reload time (s)

Accuracy (Dispersion / 100 meters)

Camouflage Value

Stationary

21.89%

20.86%

22.60%

Camouflage Value

In Motion

13.11%

12.57%

13.70%

(Net) Credit Income [stats @ vbaddict.net]

Overall, the SU-85I has the best speed, terrain resistance, traverse speed and the 3rd highest hit points compared to all tank destroyers in Tier V. Although the SU-85I has high gross income, the net income of the SU-85I is average due its higher operational and repair cost. I speculate that this has to do with its status as a captured tank put into service by the Russians. Higher ammunition cost due to higher utilization of premium APCR shells to compensate for the lackluster AP shell penetration when confronting higher tier tanks does not help either. In fact, it has the lowest APCR shell penetration and the 2nd lowest AP shell penetration next to the British AT2 tank destroyer in its class. It is further compounded by not having a preferential match making; encountering up to Tier VII tanks in battles and having the least accurate gun of all the tank destroyers in Tier V.

The SU-85I isn't recommended for players looking to buy their first premium tank for earning credits.  The German T-25 and Japanese Type 3 Chi Nu Kai are superior than the SU-85I. Even so, it is is perfect for seasoned players searching for a unique premium tank destroyer; looking for a challenge; exploring a variety of tactics.

On another positive side, the SU-85I can be useful for accelerating crew skill and perk training by taking advantage of the daily double xp multiplier for SU-85 tank crew.

SU-85I Gameplay Tactics
In general, the purpose of a tank destroyer is to support other tanks either in an offensive or defensive role. Tank destroyers carry more powerful and usually bigger guns than the tanks that they were based upon; have lower profile with superior camouflage for concealment. These factors give a tank destroyer an advantage in getting the first shot over the enemy.

However, due to the lack of a turret it can be easily outmaneuvered by enemies especially light tank scouts unless protected by other tanks. Advancing forward without protection from allies or simply throwing caution to the wind can be disastrous. :wink:

The SU-85I has superior maneuverability and traverse speed than most turret less tank destroyers. It can easily outmaneuver and defeat them in 1 to 1 duels.

Enemy scouts doing reconnaissance are a priority target. A SU-85I destroying an advancing Pz.Kpfw. II enemy scout from a concealed position in the valley a few minutes into the battle.

Support the advance of allies by taking a commanding position with unobstructed line of fire behind effective cover to hide your location from enemies.

A Churchill III blows up with a brief flash in the distance. He had no idea where the SU-85I was, and his rear was facing the TD randomly firing at bushes. :laugh:

Change locations if required, to attack any enemy that manages to infiltrate the line.  Destroy enemy tanks before they have their attention upon you. Rely on staying hidden and avoid being spotted. Without good accuracy, take aim carefully and shoot at the enemies' weakspots.

An AT2 blows up after two hits on the commander's cupola.

The SU-85I lack of armor, low shell penetration and hit points damage makes close combat risky especially encounters with higher tier tanks. Avoid unless there is no other immediate alternative action. Knowing the enemies' frontal weakspots is important when facing heavily armored tanks with low health.

Strengths

• Excellent traverse speed, terrain resistance and mobility.
  • Good camouflage values with good view range in its tier.
  • Gun has good rate of fire and 3rd highest hit points damage.

Weakness

• Poor gun accuracy. Highest dispersion among the tank destroyers in its tier.
  • Low AP and APCR shell penetration.
  • Poor gun depression. (-5°)
  • No preferential matchmaking and poor credit income.

Equipment Recommendation

Configuration A

Configuration B

Configuration C

Coated Optics

Binocular Telescope

Binocular Telescope

Gun Laying Drive

Gun Laying Drive

Gun Laying Drive

Camouflage net

Med Cal. Tank Gun Rammer

Camouflage net

Suggested consumables to supplement the equipment:
Automatic Fire Extinguisher, Large or Small First Aid Kit and Large or Small Repair Kit.

Crew Skills and Perks Recommendation

Skills

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

Commander

Sixth Sense

Recon

Camouflage

Repairs

Mentor

Gunner

Snap Shot

Camouflage

Repairs

Designated Target

Deadeye

Driver

Camouflage

Repairs

Clutch Braking

Smooth Ride

Off Road Driving

Loader (Radio Operator)

Camouflage

Repairs

Adrenaline Rush

Safe Stowage

Intuition

Fendalton #12 Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

• 11391 battles
  • [LUCK] LUCK
U buy tank, U hav gud tiem

AnGeL2411 #13 Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Corporal

• 12950 battles

[Review]: SU-85I Soviet Premium TD tier V

maxresdefault.jpg

History: SU-85i program
There was only one program to modernize the SU-76i, started in Fall 1943. From the initiative of A.I.Kashtanov, a project was started to rearm the SU-76i with an 85mm gun. On 17.9.1943, chief designer of Plant No.37 recieved the following letter from the chief of technology department of NKTP by the name of Frezerov:
“The project developed by you to install the 85mm D-5S-85 gun on Panzer III chassis (SU-85i) cannot currently proceed due to the lack of enough 85mm D-5 guns and due to the question whether new Panzer III tanks will be delivered being unclear. I consider it appropriate to temporarily stop the aforementioned development and to save the developed material for further use in the future.”
This future never came in particular due to the shortage of Panzer III hulls and the fact it was no longer needed to convert German tech.

SU-85I.jpg

Pros and Cons
Pros:
  • Heavily armored gun manlet
  • HP: 380, 2nd place among tier V, after AT2 (450)
  • Good top speed: 50km/h, backward: 14km/h
  • Good signal range: 525 m
  • Great weight limit that can sustain heavy equipment
  • Mobility may slightly better than StuG III (Su-85I >< StuG III)
  • Good RoF: 13,33 rounds/min
  • Crazy DPM: 2132 damages per minute o.O
  • It’s ... rare ^.^
Cons:
  • Poor view range: 330 m
  • Useless armor in tier VI-VII matches: Hull armor 60/30/50 mm
  • Poor penetration: 119/161/43 mm
 images.jpg

Play style
As many think this tank is not a sniper, it should be played like a support tank, remember your armor is not powerful against tier VI-VII tanks. After you fire some shells you should relocate. Use you camoflage ability to avoid getting hit- Be an angel in the bush >.^
You have a pretty good RoF so you can track enemies for your team focus fire, one shot to track- one shot to damage. A tip is shot enemies first track wheel, it’s not only break their track but also take HP.
Ohm, use houses, rocks... to avoid enemies arty, they are not very friendly with your SU-85I (+.+)

image003.jpg

Crew skill (Recommend)
Commander: BiA, Sixth Sense, Camo, Situational Awareness, Repair
Gunner: BiA, Camo, Deadeye, Snapshot, Repair
Driver: BiA, Camo, Clutch Braking, Smooth Ride, Off Road
Loader: BiA, Camo, Safe Stowage, Repair

su_85_i_image_03.jpg

Equipment (Recommend)
Gun Rammer
Camouflage net
Improved ventilation

Comparing: SU-85I vs. StuGIII

Get one!  

angel2411- Server SEA

My blog about tanks: http://angelazzurri.blogspot.com/

TacticaL_Mech_Tank #14 Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

SealClub Number 4

• 17736 battles
  • [GVN-P] GVN-P

Su-85I: The great assaulter

A perfect combination between Su-85 and StuG III G

In the next update, all tank-destroyer (td) will suffer the nerf of camouflage (camo) value when firing. However, the premium td won't face this bad situation, so it's a good time you guys should consider buying some of them :coin: to get use of this advantage. And as the tier V tanks are always so much fun to play, the newly added Su-85I will please you. On paper, Su-85I appears to be a nerf td compare to its counterpart with a low penetration gun and a weak engine (only about 13hp/ton), plus a thin and less angle frontal armor. Nevertheless, when driving this tank, you'll find out that it's worth more than its look. Now let's come to my review then.

This is my review contents:

1. Su-85I's stats and improvement suggestions

a) Su-85I's information and stats

b) Necessary improvements (equipment and crew skill)

2. Tips and recommended play style

3. Conclusion

1. Su-85I's stats and improvement suggestions

a) Su-85I's information and stats

_ Stats (without load and crew skill)

Fire power: Su-85I uses a similar 85mm gun to that of the KV1

+ Penetration: It's a bit lower than the same tier td, but isn't bad at all.

+ Alpha damage: At this point, the gun's 160 alpha damage pack a punch. Especially, you can 2 hit on most of the same tier V td fellows :justwait:.

+ Average damage: Another great strength of the gun. Without any load, it's already 2k2 :ohmy: a fearsome number compare to 1k9 of the StuG and Su-85, you're a true power house in damg-dealer.

+ Accuracy: Ha ha, time for some drawback then. Su-85I shares the same fate of the KV1's gun: very bad accuracy. Although you can see the aiming circle spread (ACS) stats is green, it's not that good though. The reason is also because of the bad accuracy, most of the time your circle will wipe half of the sniper screen area:tongue:.

Mobility: [Read the stats] A metal slug here? Nope.

+ Acceleration: In fact, Su-85I can reach 30km/h in about 4s, and 40km/h in the next 3s. The low average power only limit it's max speed (40km/h on flat terrain). If you can use the slope, the tank will reach 50km/h with no trouble, all thanks to the low terrain resistance.

+ Maneuverability: Well, the traverse speed is equal to Pz.Sfl.IVc, super agile. So medium guys, don't think you can circle him to death but he'll circle you back to death if you don't pay some caution.

Survivability: Very great news here: your special 380hp will definitely help you gain more survival chance. Why? Consider most tier V's gun damage, it's probably about 110 to 120 damage. With the standard 350hp of tier V td, you'll be blown-up after 3 shots in most cases. Now, just a little 30 buff hp, you can take 1 more shot from your opponent. Fantastic life saver here.

Scout ability: An acceptable feature with average stats.

+ Camouflage: Although camo stats isn't shown clearly, but from the tank's silhouette, we can infer that it's slightly better than it's brother Su-85, but may lose to the StuG.

+ View range: 330m, it's not so good but if you look at Su-85 and StuG... :trollface:

Farming ability: It's good at this point, but the repair cost is a bit high so you'll gain just a slightly more profit compare to your normal tier V tanks.

_ Armor layout:

As paper as usual. Su-85I is built base on the Pz III hull, so it's armor isn't any better. Although the stats says it's 60mm on the front, 45mm is actually the most covered area.

The most remarkable defense power is the bb (bouncing ball, not that bb but I like your thought) protected its gun. You can find this globe-shaped mantlet very annoying, especially when shooting from distance. Sometimes, my IS just bounce a Su-85 because of this invincible shield. This funny ball is even more useful when the horizontal upper area of the tank is narrow down, causing a hit shot will be more likely to land on to this lovely zone.

_Summary: This is my summary about Su-85I main features

+ Pros: - Fast reload, good alpha damage and excellent average damage

- Good acceleration and great maneuverability

- Buff hp will help your survive in lots of circumstances

- Acceptable view range, better if compare to some td friends

- Fancy gun mantlet armor

+ Cons: - Poor penetration, but not serious with the tank's mm

- Thin armor all around

- Hardly reach top speed in normal condition

b) Necessary improvements

_ Equipment: Su-85I is easy in term of redeem the weaknesses. While these are only suggestions, you can have other way to equip your tank with.

Basic sniper: Medium Caliber Gun Rammer, Improved Ventilation, Camouflage Net

Assaulter/Flanker: Medium Caliber Gun Rammer, Improved Ventilation, Enhanced Gun Laying Drive

_ Crew skill: The crew skill can be any Russian td crew, or if you want to build a unique one for this tank, you can make it in this way (suited for assault/flanker style)

+ Commander: Sixth Sense, Camouflage, Recon, Brothers in Arms

+ Driver: Camouflage, Smooth Ride, Clutch Braking, Brothers in Arms

+ Gunner: Camouflage, Snap Shot, Deadeye, Brothers in Arms

+ Loader (Radio Operator): Camouflage, Situational Awareness, Intuition, Brothers in Arms

You can reverse the order of driver's and gunner's second and third skill for a better sniper.

Here are the stats after the improvement. As you can see, most of the stats turn into green (although they're already green at first :trollface:)

With camo net

With gun laying drive

2. Tips and recommended play style

Tips: Some 'hidden' stats or fact that hard to realize, or just only find out when you' re driving the tank already.

+ HE ammo: Once again, you should consider changing the ammo type while shooting with this tank. Su-85I has very great HE ammo, with 43 mm penetration and an amazing 280 damage :ohmy:. Let's say: 'Hello kitty' again :justwait:.

+ ACS: Very large spread because of the originally bad accuracy. May be even in sniper style, you should use the Gun Laying Drive.

+ Preferential mm: Yep, although the wiki says that it will meet up to tier VII, that's not going to be happen now. Live happily forever with your current gun, guys :trollface:.

Recommender play style

Su-85I can be use in 2 ways: sniper for its high average and alpha damage or assault because of its great mobility.

Sniper/Support: Using the first equipment set for this tactic. Remember to choose a good position and aim at a priority target (scout lt, support med,...). Your low penetration gun is not good for attacking head-on with heavy tanks (ht), so let that job for other team mates. You should look for your team's flank to counter the enemy's flankers, too.

Assaulter/Flanker: This tactic is only suggested for experienced players. You should use the second equipment set combine with the crew skills and perks stated above. Your large aiming circle will require you to have some practice to familiar with this play style. However, when become mastered, you'll find that this tactic is more fun to play (and more suit the tank).

In any cases, your priority targets are enemy support tanks (usually med or td with low frontal armor).

3. Conclusion

Thanks for reading my review. I hope you guys can find more help from the detailed information above. Su-85I is an overall good premium tier V td with all great stats. The only weak point about the penetration is solved by the tank's mm. So what are you waiting for? A fun but still strong premium tank, say hello to Su-85I and it won't disappoint you.

Good luck, guys. See you on the battlefield.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users