Tier 6 Stronghold Tank Selection

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

LegendarySpecies #1 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Captain

• 16214 battles

Hey guys, 
In this guide, I'm going to tell you guys which tanks I think are the best for tier 6 strongholds, which tanks you should never bring and a brief description on ho to use these tanks effectively. Also, this guide isn't for established clans that know what they're doing, it's more for the other 90%. Note: The KV-1S and Hellcat and maybe other tier 6's will get nerfed soon, so I'll either update this or just use your common sense to where the tanks fit after the nerf.

The format will be like this:

Tank Class

1) Best tier 6 tank for the class
Description + Advice to battle callers

2) 2nd best tier tank for the class
Description + Advice to battle callers

Ok, now to get to it.

Heavy Tanks:

1) KV-1S
The KV-1S is the main backbone heavy tank of any tier 6 random battle, clan war, and of course, strongholds. It combines a great gun with decent armor and great mobility, meaning it can get back to base from a firefight quickly. By far the best tank for this mode, only reason I haven't got my hands on one personally is that it's getting a huge nerf next patch.

2) T-150
The T-150 trades speed and alpha for better armor and DPM. It works wonders on city maps and can be used well in other maps too, the biggest downside of this tank is it's mobility, which means getting back to base is a problem if the enemy caps with 2-3 tanks.

3) ARL 44
The ARL 44 has a great 105mm gun that decent pen can be overcome with purely OP gold ammo when you come across angled T-150's. Its armor is adequate, not bad, but nothing to write home about, but its gun's combination of great depression, aim time and DPM make this tank a worthy opponent.

4) M6
This tank has an amazing 90mm gun, with great gun depression. It works very well when supporting with KV-1S's but a 3-4 HT spam of M6's isn't a good idea. Decent mobility, worse than the KV1S but better than the ARL 44 and T-150.

5) KV-2
The derp king! Horrible at everything from mobility to armor, but it has a gun that can change the tides of battle, including the ability to ONE-HIT-KILL Cromwells, Hellcats and the sides of KV-1S's.

Medium Tanks:

1) Cromwell
The Cromwell is an excellent tank! Great mobility, adaptability to different maps with a good fast firing gun. It can flank and/or scout for you, and a rush of 3 heavies from the front with 2 Cromwell's from the side is a great tactic to crush opponents holed up in awkward places - but don't forget, this tank doesn't have reliable armor, like almost all the tier 6 mediums.

2) Chi-To
The Chi-To, like the Cromwell, has no armor. In contrast, it does have a great gun that chews up the sides of tanks, and is best used as a support tank.

3) M4A3E8 "Easy Eight"
This tank is like a worse version of the Cromwell. While its turret is quite bouncy, its gun is also decent and its speed shouldn't by underestimated. It also has great gun depression, but really, this tank is a great tank, but the Cromwell is better in every aspect besides the turret armor.

Quote from Stormtroop3r:

"The Easy Eight is much better than the Cromwell at shooting on the move, it may be slower but that's about it, the E8 also has better view range."

Light Tanks:

1) Type 64 (Premium Tank)
A great scout tank, one of the fastest tanks in the game. It has great mobility and gun depression, and it's gun is perfect up against tier 6. It can abuse its camo rating and view range by sitting in a bush, or abuse its mobility by active scouting or using its gun as a support tank.

2) Chaffee
Yes, it's a tier 5. But there is a reason WG has made the Chaffee see tier 10's more often than other tier 6 scouts. The tank has incredible view range, great speed and a great gun. The Chaffee is more suited for passive scouting whereas the Type 64 is a better active scout.

3) AMX 12t

While not as fast as the Type 64, with terrible depression and elevation, its auto-loader can single-clip kill most tier 6 tanks, and highly damage tier 6 heavies. It is a great passive scout, although not as good as the Chaffee, but this tank is great when two of them flank hard while the heavies push - use this tank much like an under-powered AMX 13 90 or BatChat 25t.

4) VK 28.01

This tank features a mean derp gun, combined with great speed and.. ramming capabilities! The 105mm derp gun can crush Hellcats and Chi-To's, while being able to decimate Hellcats by derping them and then ramming with your 27 tonne tank going at 68 km/h... not pretty. While not originally on my list, it was  simply because the current meta doesn't feature enough soft tanks like the Hellcat, Chi-To, Nashorn ect. Although I do suspect that the side of an ARL 44 wont be too happy if the derp gets into its side or rear. For battle calling, I'd recommend you use this as an active scout, that can demolish lightly armored tanks quickly and then get out before the enemy knows whats happening, while also boasting an impressive 390m base view range.

Quote From Zynth:

"It is the only tier 6 light tank with a 105mm howitzer. The 105mm is able to deal serious damage to most of the tier 6 staple tanks. It eats Hellcats and Cromwells up. Against a KV-1S, HEAT is more than adequate. The 105mm combined with good speed and view range makes it an excellent combat scout. When taking on an enemy scout, a derp followed by a ram usuay finishes off a full health light."

Tank Destroyers:

1) Hellcat
An excellent TD, while lacking armor, its mantle is very bouncy, with a great 90mm gun that is awesome in almost every aspect. It has great speed, faster than the Chaffee and AMX 12t, but its turning speed is quite slow and turret traverse speed abysmal. The tank has great flexibility, although its weakness is coming up against mobile light tanks and medium tanks that will circle this thing with ease.

2) SU-100Y (Premium Tank)
The SU-100Y has the same-case scenario as the KV-2, except this thing has much better accuracy and reliable damage. A stronk gun, made from Stalinium, will two-hit kill almost all tier 6 heavies from full HP. Loaded with gold, this tank has godly pen and an average damage of 510HP - that's more than my T110E5 does per shot!

3) Nashorn
This tank has an amazing gun, but paper-thin armor. It has decent mobility, but this thing is probably the best pure sniper in tier 6. Its not very flexible though, as the tank needs some hard cover or distance between him and the enemy. Use the tank like a RHM-Borsig or an Obj 263

3) SU-100
A great tank, sharing place number 3 with the Nashorn. It's gun is great, a little less accurate for a little more punch. Armor isn't as bad as the Nashorn, it has a much lower profile and has better mobility. A little more flexible than the Nashorn too, and the only reason I consider these tanks an equal threat is because the Nashorn has deadly precision accuracy and a faster reloading gun.

Artillery:

1) FV304
This is a great tank, but it's hard to use. It's not an arty that hangs back at base and shoots, this thing needs to find a rock and get a few meters behind the slowest heavy to support. Great for focus fire, very useful when used properly. Just remember, if you have this in your line-up and you don't think you can call effectively for it, just switch it out to a solid HT, MT, TD or LT.

2) AMX 13 F3 AM
Firstly, I don't recommend arty, besides the FV304. But, this is a guide, so I have to put things in fairly. This tank hits the hardest at tier 6, with decent reload - for arty - at 30ish seconds. Accuracy is pretty good - for arty - which is worse than the KV-2. Range is great, can also relocate fairly easily, quite a fast tank as well.

3) M44
Again, I don't recommend arty for Strongholds, besides the FV304. This tank hits a little less harder than the AMX 13 F3 AM, while having a much better reload (22ish seconds) and decent accuracy.

Tanks To Avoid

Heavy Tanks:

1) TOG II*
Big, slow, no armor, gun is decent, just dead weight. Only exception is when TheCloud drives it, then all tanks in the strongholds must push him to victory!

2) Churchill VII
Too slow, not a very good gun, although armor is pretty good, its just not enough.

3) VK 36.01 H
Hardly any armor for a tier 6 heavy, gun is meh, outclassed by the M6 in every aspect.

Medium Tanks:

1) VK 30.01 D/P and VK 30.02 M
These 3 German medium tanks are great fun in Random Battles - I own 2 of the 3 and intend to get the 3rd one in a few weeks. Its just that they are almost impossible to compare to other medium tanks, that do the job just so much better! The D is terrible, outclassed by all the mediums in the tier. The P is too slow, gun is alright, but the Chi-To's outclasses it. The M is a great little tank, but its just not mobile enough.

Light Tanks:

1) 59-16
An all-rounder tank. Can play different roles, but outclassed in everything by almost everything.

2) MT-25
Outclassed by almost every other tier 6 scout. Also, I hate this for replacing the legendary T-50-2.

Tank Destroyers:

1) ARL V39
Decent gun. Thats it. Everything else is just... terrible.

2) AT 8
Slow, bad gun, good armor... unless your targeting the HUGE weak-spots that take up about 45% of the tank.

3) Churchill GC
Large profile, ugly, slow, ugly, weak gun, ugly, hands down worst TD in tier 6. Did I mention its ugly?

4) Jagdpanzer IV
My first tier 6 TD. I will always love you Jagdpanzer IV, I'm sorry. If you want camo, go SU-100. If you like the gun this has (which is nice) just use the Cromwell. The tank has nice mobility to compensate for its lack of armor... but its just a case of being outclassed by almost everything in the tier.

Artillery:
Ok, here's my rant. Arty is almost USELESS for this game-mode, exception for the FV304. You sacrificing a workhorse in your line-up for something that will do about 300 damage every half a minute when it hits 1/5 of the time over something that will hit almost every time, gives presence, and oh so much more! I would prefer 2 stock Churchill GC's over 2 fully upgraded arty driven by DPS super unicums.

Any input you guys want, just comment and I'll put it in, giving you credit for the input and you get a shiny new color lol. Just remember, the 1S and Hellcat are due to drop a few places, so I foresee the T-150 and ARL 44 becoming the new kings of tier 6 heavies and the Cromwell taking over the roll of the Hellcat. On a final note, good hunting and go NZAD!

P.S. I can't find the stronghold section anywhere time to make one mods? Or if I'm too blind to find it lol, just move this into the right section.

Edited by LegendarySpecies, 23 August 2014 - 12:07 PM.

Airborne447 #2 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 12698 battles
6x Hellcat 1x T-34-85 .. cap rush ftw

Click for real sig -> Started back on tanks but am terrible

Bad@Poasting.Bad@Tonks.Gud@Raging

Hear no bots, see no bots, speak not about bots

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #3 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 77533 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Lol.

Also, Strongholds subforum

http://forum.worldof...07-strongholds/

Edited by Bluefunk, 23 August 2014 - 08:20 AM.

_Storm #4 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Ordo Hereticus

• 14825 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

KV-2: bad

SU-100Y: bad

Nashorn: bad

Artillery: bad

12t: bad

ARL: bad

Chi-To: bad

The easy eight is much better than the cromwell at shooting on the move, it may be slower but that's about it, the E8 also has better view range, suggesting that cromwell is better in every way except turret armour is simply lying. 

VK1D is also quite good at replacing cromwells.

Airborne447 #5 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 12698 battles
KV-2 isnt that bad , if u mix with a few 1S/T-150 or what we did with 3x KV-2 and alternating reloads..

LegendarySpecies #6 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Captain

• 16214 battles

View PostAirborne447, on 23 August 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

KV-2 isnt that bad , if u mix with a few 1S/T-150 or what we did with 3x KV-2 and alternating reloads..

Don't forget a certain someone scouting in his T18 that day... :trollface:

-----------------

Mod, please put this into the right section

Edited by LegendarySpecies, 23 August 2014 - 08:31 AM.

_Storm #7 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Ordo Hereticus

• 14825 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
The main issue with the KV-2 is it's reliance on good RNG.

Edited by Stormtroop3r, 23 August 2014 - 08:32 AM.

LegendarySpecies #8 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Captain

• 16214 battles
Storm, added in that bit about the E8 - I've never used it and was going mostly on my own personal knowledge.

Airborne447 #9 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 12698 battles

View PostStormtroop3r, on 23 August 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

The main issue with the KV-2 is it's reliance on good RNG.

Thats why 3x KV-2 kinda negates that.

View PostLegendarySpecies, on 23 August 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Storm, added in that bit about the E8 - I've never used it and was going mostly on my own personal knowledge.

TankInspector is there.... for a reason hue

Edited by Airborne447, 23 August 2014 - 08:37 AM.

LegendarySpecies #10 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

Captain

• 16214 battles

View PostAirborne447, on 23 August 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

Thats why 3x KV-2 kinda negates that.

TankInspector is there.... for a reason hue

<--- Will write giant wall of text, still can't be bothered to open up TankInspector

SaltyMemeMan_CAMMA #11 Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 34175 battles
Yay were getting guides to competitive gaming tank selection by reds now! Woohoo

LegendarySpecies #12 Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Captain

• 16214 battles

View Postcammaman, on 23 August 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

Yay were getting guides to competitive gaming tank selection by reds now! Woohoo

Im a baddie :(

LegendaryTurtle #13 Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Corporal

• 108 battles

View Postcammaman, on 23 August 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

LegendarySpecies is such a scrub

Alt account of LegendarySpecies

Yorrick #14 Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 23904 battles
  • [TCM] TCM

Plus one for effort and not a bad overview IMO 

Is a few things i dont 100% agree with but we all have different preferences and opinions , depending on the strats tankers and tactics we want to employ 

dont worry about the bitches they have ego problems and like to try and discourage anyone with a different point of view to their own 

and some will be egotistical  statpadders ,who will think your observations are not valid, because you have not tried as hard as them, to pad your stats 

Tank Company Mercenary [TCM] A Tank Company,Strongholds,Platooning, Enthusiast's clan
We Play for Victory, Kill for Laughs, Die for the Team, Honour,Glory and a Bloody Good Time
Bringing together skilled Tankers, who want to play in skilled, friendly, competitive teams in Tank Companies, Campaign Clan Wars, and Platoons .Have you got what it takes to become a Mercenary? Skilled, Willing to learn/teach and play as a strong team with a Friendly Well Organised, United clan.RECRUITING NOW
check us out and apply here http://tankcompanyme...ary.shivtr.com/ to find out

Airborne447 #15 Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 12698 battles

View PostLegendaryTurtle, on 23 August 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

LegendarySpecies is such a scrub

View PostLegendarySpecies, on 23 August 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Im a baddie :(

busted

Block Quote

Minion__ #16 Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

Guff Shill

• 10591 battles
  • [-VAM-] -VAM-
As well, it can come down to using the right tools for the right job. I could say more, but I'll just hope that moar clans turtle up in their 1S's. TCM loves making turtle soup.

"Bad@tonks, meh@lyfe, long of tooth"

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #17 Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 77533 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View PostStormtroop3r, on 23 August 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

KV-2: bad

SU-100Y: bad

Nashorn: bad

Artillery: bad

12t: bad

ARL: bad

Chi-To: bad

The easy eight is much better than the cromwell at shooting on the move, it may be slower but that's about it, the E8 also has better view range, suggesting that cromwell is better in every way except turret armour is simply lying. 

VK1D is also quite good at replacing cromwells.

If the Cromwell moves at the same speed as the E8 (i.e. half the Cromwell's maximum speed) which tank has better accuracy?

Minion__ #18 Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Guff Shill

• 10591 battles
  • [-VAM-] -VAM-

View PostYorrick, on 23 August 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

Is a few things i dont 100% agree with but we all have different preferences and opinions , depending on the strats tankers and tactics we want to employ 

Yeah. I noticed that the KittyKatKrusherTM got a -ve :glasses:

"Bad@tonks, meh@lyfe, long of tooth"

LegendaryTurtle #19 Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

Corporal

• 108 battles

View Post__Minion__, on 23 August 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

As well, it can come down to using the right tools for the right job. I could say more, but I'll just hope that moar clans turtle up in their 1S's. TCM loves making turtle soup.

And Yorrick, thanks for the backup there, :honoring:

Zynth #20 Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

Aufklärungspanzer Panther

• 26124 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Suggesting the VK 28.01 light tank. Noteworthy is that it is the only tier 6 light tank with a 105mm howitzer. The 105mm is able to deal serious damage to most of the tier 6 staple tanks. It eats Hellcats and Cromwells up. Against a KV-1S, HEAT is more than adequate. The 105mm combined with good speed and view range makes it an excellent combat scout. When taking on an enemy scout, a derp followed by a ram usuay finishes off a full health light.

I beg to differ on the 59-16. I think the 59-16 is an excellent tank for strongholds where tanks are restricted to tier 6. Use he autoloader, normwlly the pent isn't enough but in a meta dominated by Hellcats and Cromwells, low pent doesn't really matter. Autoloader has good burst damage and very good reload. If there is a need to take down a KV-1S without getting on the rear, APCR works. Not to mention the gun is mounted on a chassis that boasts good speed and agility and good view range.

RIP Aufklärungspanzer Panther 16th July 2015. You will be missed, friend.

But not for long. For "Heroes never die."

This account is proudly sponsored by Wargaming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users