• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

wasaabi #101 Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

This Dude Abides

• Senior Moderator
  • 22914 battles
  • [KINGS] KINGS

View Poststewiejp, on 31 October 2014 - 11:45 PM, said:

I tried rooms with 40 odd people in it only to get kicked out (commander has left the room). Rooms with 100+ could never get a game. 

The rooms get closed as soon as the battle finishes.

RadoBG #102 Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:31 AM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 26865 battles

[Content removed]

Non-Constructive Post. Content removed and user warned.

~Bartlett

България над всичко.

aw my com Best T.G.

Silentkiwi #103 Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:00 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 20913 battles
  • [LUBE] LUBE

Maybe instead of people raging about how unfair this event was and that there was not enough rooms, they should put their hand up and say I am available to help with these events and begin contributing to the community.  WG don't need to offer these events but they do.  If you don't like the waiting and potentially winning nothing, do something else, it is that simple. 

I have had other events where I have failed to get into any event, or like last tank standing, the game ends in a draw because the players don't know how to win the game.  This event gave each player who got in a fair chance to win something.  When I got in a game I had great fun.  Nothing like a herd of tanks cowering on a map corner waiting for the ghost tank to appear in their midst, reminds me of playing Zombie infection (Vampire type) on Halo.   So thank you WG for running the event.

My only suggestion would be to have certain rooms only allowed tanks for certain criteria (eg tier 3's only, Artillery only) however this would slow down picking teams and players would change their tank before launching so could be hit or miss.  I noticed one WG account restricting their games to tier 5s only so they have something to work on there.

PS For the first hour, I couldn't get picked for any teams  then I was super lucky and got picked for 4 games each 20 minutes apart (given that each win was a 10 min game that was really lucky).  I know a lot of guys in our Clan got frustrated and ended up quitting the event to do other things.  I probably made it worse for them when I told them I had survived 4 games and then they threatened to chat ban me :ohmy:

GDavid #104 Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:02 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 29134 battles

View PostAALG, on 31 October 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

We had 30 people playing the Ghost tanks. On average a battle lasted 8 minutes. 3x60 minutes x 30 Ghost tanks / 10 minutes (setup and battle avg time) = 540 battles * 15 players = 8100 players had a chance to win a prize.

Respectfully AALG, yes there were chances to win and here's another statement to add to yours:

2,025 chances @ winning major prize IF all players evenly got 4 battles AND IF those players won 100% of battles...

View PostAALG, on 31 October 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

If you didn't get picked for a battle then don't buy any lottery tickets this week. If you did get picked for a battle, buy a lottery ticket this week. If you got picked for multiple battles, definitely buy a lottery ticket this week-.

Realistically, this "If you didn't get picked for a battle" is what was so annoying to me and surely other players.

I patiently waited under the false assumption that I would enter the battle based on my position in the queue.

So, based on your explanation and the event page it is entirely possible that no checks OR balances were implemented by WG (because WG_ Ghost## "SELECTS" players) AND by having a selection, being entirely able to ignore players who waited within a queue. Also, this process made it possible for previous personal conflicts between the WG representatives and players (and clans) to be specifically included OR rejected participation opportunity/ opportunities.

What I need take with me from this is to read WG event pages cynically like a legal document rather than looking for the fun factor.

the WG fineprint :

3. Fifteen players will be selected

It is little wonder they did not enter the Golden Joysticks with the PC variant this year.

Edited by GDavid, 01 November 2014 - 06:05 AM.

Brannor #105 Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

Captain

• 12604 battles

Lol? Personal or against clans??? Have you ever tried to set up a training room with over 100 people in the queue and people coming and going all the time. 

Trust me, we simply pick tanks that we manage to click and drag and can't even see full names.

-G

GDavid #106 Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:20 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 29134 battles

View PostSilentkiwi, on 01 November 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Maybe instead of people raging about how unfair this event was and that there was not enough rooms, they should put their hand up and say I am available to help with these events and begin contributing to the community.  WG don't need to offer these events but they do.  If you don't like the waiting and potentially winning nothing, do something else, it is that simple. 

snipped

My only suggestion would be to have certain rooms only allowed tanks for certain criteria (eg tier 3's only, Artillery only) however this would slow down picking teams and players would change their tank before launching so could be hit or miss.  I noticed one WG account restricting their games to tier 5s only so they have something to work on there.

snipped

^ Simplistic.

"raging" ... "Discuss on forums" link you followed from the event page was it? Where are the invitations for volunteers?

"If you don't like the waiting and potentially winning nothing, do something else,..." Event was not offered on a wait basis...

"My only suggestion would be...." hmm... However, IF WG were in the least little bit interested in suggestions they could make these kind of events so much more accessible and "Lottery like" by making them "First come, first served" which would surely be fairer to all the players attempting participation in what otherwise a fun event.

Several_Sins #107 Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:21 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 25941 battles
  • [HIGH] HIGH
So many people upset...it's like, what, $3 worth of gold?

AMD Ryzen 5 2700X @ 4.2Ghz  |  16GB DDR4  | RX 5600 XT

Custom loop, inside a glass desk.

GDavid #108 Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:25 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 29134 battles

Brannor, please. No I haven't, and I am not singling you or any others. It was posted based on my experience of sitting at number one in queue list on three occasions.

Just wanted to have a go, even once would have been good, but no doubt the uberposters will start doing their thing... ^

Edited by GDavid, 01 November 2014 - 06:27 AM.

JOC469 #109 Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:37 AM

Carried by [KELLY]

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 69631 battles

View PostDarvis, on 31 October 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

Same here.  Guess I wont be winning another fire extinguisher.

that you need in all of those tier 1 games.

_Aigis_ #110 Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

The Big 7

• Beta-Tester
  • 8790 battles
The reason why it is hard to get more ghost tank is because players want to be receiver rather than giver

Bartlett #111 Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:13 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 21654 battles

So you're at the top and it should guarantee you a spot? people have bad internets or lag and cannot get in easily (I heard complaints from clan mates after about rooms not being accessible straight up etc). Not only that rooms tended to fill instantly with 100+ people (so we're going to favour those with close proximity to WG servers).

Personally I scrolled through the entire list grabbing at random. Mostly likely to get picked were unique or unusual tanks too as they just stood out in the mix (ye olde AMX40 probably would guaranteed you a battle for cuteness factor alone I think there were two people driving those throughout and who wouldn't pick a duck). Think I ended up with 1 person in 2-3 of the 16 rooms I ran with their T1 cunno (only had tier 1's apparently) and actually survived once or twice too!

There's no fair/unfair way of selecting tanks, we've simply got to manage as best we can in what is basically for us a no-win situation ie if the event is popular there's going to be massive queues with jumping lists and 'not enough rooms' (regardless of how many of there are running them) if its not everyone gets in and hardly anyone has to wait except the event accounts because the rooms won't fill up (one of the LTS events was like that).

The event accounts and requests to help etc are restricted to those tagged as community contributers with staff/moderators then also filling in to help out typically.

Bartlett #112 Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 21654 battles

View PostGDavid, on 01 November 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

I patiently waited under the false assumption that I would enter the battle based on my position in the queue.

So, based on your explanation and the event page it is entirely possible that no checks OR balances were implemented by WG (because WG_ Ghost## "SELECTS" players) AND by having a selection, being entirely able to ignore players who waited within a queue. Also, this process made it possible for previous personal conflicts between the WG representatives and players (and clans) to be specifically included OR rejected participation opportunity/ opportunities.

Rooms are deleted and recreated so there are no 'queue's' once 15 are selected for that room you've got to find another one.

Dread_Pirate_BlackHeart #113 Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 36566 battles
  • [NZAD] NZAD

Its not about the 5 AUD for surviving the 4 battles, its about taking part in ONE of the rooms. Who knows perhaps those that did get selected, now have a rare medal that will never be available again.

People with 20k + battles aren't only about collecting and hoarding tanks. We like to gather and hoard as many things as possible:)

I would be quite happy to help SEA WoT if they need volunteers for anything, however due to my 2 forum warnings for misinterpreted contexts by moderators, I have warnings and am therefore ineligible.

Who knows (again), perhaps this is due to my private school education or the multi-lingual virtual reality we currently share. When one holds authority over another, one is at the mercy of the other, and this can have profound, long lasting implications. We see this in the Judicial system.

*throws up hands* I'm innocent I tells ya.

GDavid #114 Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 29134 battles

Thanks for the reply Bartlett, well explained.

/GDavid, out

funkle17 #115 Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 17608 battles

View PostBartlett, on 01 November 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

So you're at the top and it should guarantee you a spot? people have bad internets or lag and cannot get in easily (I heard complaints from clan mates after about rooms not being accessible straight up etc). Not only that rooms tended to fill instantly with 100+ people (so we're going to favour those with close proximity to WG servers).

Personally I scrolled through the entire list grabbing at random. Mostly likely to get picked were unique or unusual tanks too as they just stood out in the mix (ye olde AMX40 probably would guaranteed you a battle for cuteness factor alone I think there were two people driving those throughout and who wouldn't pick a duck). Think I ended up with 1 person in 2-3 of the 16 rooms I ran with their T1 cunno (only had tier 1's apparently) and actually survived once or twice too!

There's no fair/unfair way of selecting tanks, we've simply got to manage as best we can in what is basically for us a no-win situation ie if the event is popular there's going to be massive queues with jumping lists and 'not enough rooms' (regardless of how many of there are running them) if its not everyone gets in and hardly anyone has to wait except the event accounts because the rooms won't fill up (one of the LTS events was like that).

The event accounts and requests to help etc are restricted to those tagged as community contributers with staff/moderators then also filling in to help out typically.

Same for me when picking.  At the start I was grabbing who I saw first but then changed it and id make sure I scrolled to the bottom of the list and picked up odd tanks ranging from tier 1-5.

15 ELCs and Chaffee's would make for a pretty boring 10mins Id think so I had a fair mix.

Bartlett #116 Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 21654 battles

Again as far as I am aware this is the first time this style of event has been run so likely to have surprises and speed bumps. The ghosts found quite quickly that most HT's etc were simply to slow to manage to kill anything. Also most players seemingly left the ghost tanks alone and ran away whereas the smart ones were trying to cap or kill said ghost (typically the most common means of surviving). I'm not sure but I'd wager that it was expected the ghosts would be more successful (heck on the TS we were all pretty confident till those first few battles when we realised just how hard our night was going to be) and prompt in eliminating the 15 opposition so having most games run for 10 minutes (ending in draws) might not have been envisaged.

I think most ghost accounts managed about 5 games an hour but I do think we could stagger room creation at the start a bit better to try and keep the gap between rooms under the 10 min timer etc just wasn't something any of us considered (so good suggestion).

Ottomatic_Reiffel #117 Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:40 AM

SealClub Number 6

• Beta-Tester
  • 24192 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
The suggestion from the suggestions forums to make these events based on a special battle mode is much better idea. WG managed it a few years ago with the White Tiger event on the RU server so the code should be kicking around somewhere.

See no bots, hear no bots, speak not about bots

WoT's most dedicated players

matthew1 #118 Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

Corporal

• 35212 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

what is the point, no one can get in the training rooms

Tanitha #119 Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:15 PM

Wargaming

• 4564 battles
  • [WG] WG

View Postwasaabi, on 31 October 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

The rooms get closed as soon as the battle finishes.

Aye. Most of the issues come from players not reading the instructions.

Like as you said, after the battle the room closes and a new room is opened.

So players who join a room with a game in progress, and sit there waiting. Just end up having the room closed on them after the battles finished.

You need to join a room where the battle is not in progress.

Regards
Tan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users