Ping fps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Wuxiren #1 Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 7640 battles
Hi Alltogether,

Since my ping jumped up from 60ms to 220ms and 400ms, i'm very active in this forum. From my first battle i am wondering why i must know the fps value. Sometimes i read it has something to do with the ping, but i cant understand it.
My question might be rediculious but what has the fps to do with my ping?
Isnt it just the value that shows me my graphic card's performance?
Wirkung geht vor Deckung.

ISG_Deathskyz #2 Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 12546 battles
  • [DPS] DPS
FPS and MS Ping have totally no relation to each other.

Legend Has It That The Nyan Hetzer Is Still Flying Somewhere In The Universe In Search Of The Nyan Cat...
Do Not Worry About The Artillery Shell With Your Name On It. Instead, Worry About The Artillery Shell With A "To Whom It May Concern"...
Dying is Bad for your Health.

If_U_See_Me_Die #3 Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 2326 battles
yes.. fps is gpu related while ping or ms are isp/connections issues

morry #4 Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 12105 battles
  • [MP] MP
hard question so i'll have a stab. I think there could be a relationship due to both being influenced by CPU and also the symptoms seen by the user if either are low or very slow or over loaded.
gfx lag can be confused with ping lag (loss of packets or taking too long to receive data back from the server) and vise versa. so there is a relationship even if they don't necessarily relate in reality but in the minds of some users
lets say the gfx card and cpu can't handle the load of visuals its asked to preform, this in turn could not let the incoming data interrupt and preform it's task and respond to the server such as acknowledge that it received a piece of data. this would slow the flow of data even if the isp and your line could go faster. maybe some of you have noticed when you get a sudden drop in fps you get higher ping (more common with slower cpu/gpu's. even older/slower hard drives). its not necessarily the case that the "true" available ping rate has actually dropped ( say if u had another pc pinging only next to the one having problems it would get a lower ping)

in most real world cases
low fps = hardware and software problems
high ping = isp, router and line problems

its a hard one to isolate completely in this game due to how cpu intensive it is but we can ping the server without the game to help see where the real problem is and use the in-game fps v's ping to give us an idea if we have a hardware/software issue

anyway +1 for getting me to think outside the box a 'lil tonight

Edited by morry, 01 October 2012 - 11:13 PM.

mediace #5 Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 25267 battles
  • [DPS] DPS

View Postmorry, on 01 October 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

hard question so i'll have a stab. I think there could be a relationship due to both being influenced by CPU and also the symptoms seen by the user if either are low or very slow or over loaded.
gfx lag can be confused with ping lag (loss of packets or taking too long to receive data back from the server) and vise versa. so there is a relationship even if they don't necessarily relate in reality but in the minds of some users
lets say the gfx card and cpu can't handle the load of visuals its asked to preform, this in turn could not let the incoming data interrupt and preform it's task and respond to the server such as acknowledge that it received a piece of data. this would slow the flow of data even if the isp and your line could go faster. maybe some of you have noticed when you get a sudden drop in fps you get higher ping (more common with slower cpu/gpu's. even older/slower hard drives). its not necessarily the case that the "true" available ping rate has actually dropped ( say if u had another pc pinging only next to the one having problems it would get a lower ping)

in most real world cases
low fps = hardware and software problems
high ping = isp, router and line problems

its a hard one to isolate completely in this game due to how cpu intensive it is but we can ping the server without the game to help see where the real problem is and use the in-game fps v's ping to give us an idea if we have a hardware/software issue

anyway +1 for getting me to think outside the box a 'lil tonight

+1 rep to u :D

+1 like

Edited by mediace, 02 October 2012 - 06:47 AM.

Slothie #6 Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

Private

• Beta-Tester
  • 10117 battles
If you are getting a high ping then you may be getting 'packet loss', this will affect your visual image but not you fps.  It may seem like its related to ping though. Try something like ping plotter between you and the server and it will tell you if and where the problem is coming from.

mediace #7 Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 25267 battles
  • [DPS] DPS
but it does seem related in a way in this WOT, especially when u swap view mode from sniper to arcade vise-versa. U will get a huge reduce on FPS and Higher Ping. Try keep swap it continuously (test purpose). I bet it a bug with never gone after they said they already fixed it in last 8.0 beta.

wasaabi #8 Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 15310 battles
  • [MP] MP
In general play there are packets going back and forth to update the positions of each tank, shell firing and impact information etc, but the overall rendering of the image is handled completely in the client.  In most cases the FPS is affected by your current position and what your view is, that is the more complex the scene to render the greater the impact on your FPS is.    Switching between sniper and arcade is likely a special case where certainly the render engine has to work hard to switch contexts, and there is possibly a network impact from the switch as well, combined these might give the effect you are seeing.

One feeling I am getting is that the lag light is not getting updated, in all the recent occasions where I have lagged to the point of having to restart, the light has always been green, so I am guessing that the lag is what is really happening to impact FPS.
"Television, the drug of the Nation
Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users