REMOVE_SCOUT_MM_FROM_THE_GAME

• Please log in to reply
1429 replies to this topic

AdrianK #41 Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:42 AM

Morally obliged to fire gold

• Beta-Tester
  • 22575 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Hey Storm, I have two questions for you...

#1 Unicums & "Tilt" - What does tilt look like when your a unicum?  Before Christmas Holidays I've been playing reasonably consistently at the WN8 1400-1500+ level with an (unbelievable) recent WR of >54%; for me tilt is when my WN8 for a period will be < 1000-1200, sometimes down below 800. 

#2 Personal Improvement - I was looking at Kewei's approach for getting better which you referenced earlier, and I was wondering if it was a method I should consider.  At around the 6K battle mark (June last year) my WR wasn't as good as it is now (well, before xmas anyway) and my overall/recent WN8 was around 950/1150; now (at the 8.6K battle mark) my WR is more positive and my WN8 as described above.  I can definitely feel myself improving, and generally I am happy with my rate of improvement - but I have no idea what my expectations should be, should I be aiming higher?  For context, I try to play a little everyday (which seems to be mostly on weekdays), a session will usually be around 3-10 games, sometimes more; I always try to limit my tank selection for a session to 1-3 tanks.  

(Getting back into it after xmas has been "interesting", I did way better in the E75 last night than lower tiers.  Lol, go figure).

For reference: 

http://wotlabs.net/sea/player/AdrianK

http://worldoftanks.asia/community/accounts/2000314370-AdrianK/

Edited by AdrianK, 11 January 2015 - 01:44 AM.

Hope is not a strategy

Pray here to MM, RNG and Luck : http://mmrngluck.azurewebsites.net/

AnninTofuXD #42 Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:48 AM

Captain

• 8900 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
How much angle is too much for Russian MT ? I remembered a shootout with my T-62A against an Object 907 , I was angling to cover up my hull but I got penetrated on the sides . I estimate that I was doing 20 degree angle .

_Storm #43 Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

Ordo Hereticus

• 14825 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostAdrianK, on 11 January 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

Hey Storm, I have two questions for you...

#1 Unicums & "Tilt" - What does tilt look like when your a unicum?  Before Christmas Holidays I've been playing reasonably consistently at the WN8 1400-1500+ level with an (unbelievable) recent WR of >54%; for me tilt is when my WN8 for a period will be < 1000-1200, sometimes down below 800. 

#2 Personal Improvement - I was looking at Kewei's approach for getting better which you referenced earlier, and I was wondering if it was a method I should consider.  At around the 6K battle mark (June last year) my WR wasn't as good as it is now (well, before xmas anyway) and my overall/recent WN8 was around 950/1150; now (at the 8.6K battle mark) my WR is more positive and my WN8 as described above.  I can definitely feel myself improving, and generally I am happy with my rate of improvement - but I have no idea what my expectations should be, should I be aiming higher?  For context, I try to play a little everyday (which seems to be mostly on weekdays), a session will usually be around 3-10 games, sometimes more; I always try to limit my tank selection for a session to 1-3 tanks.  

(Getting back into it after xmas has been "interesting", I did way better in the E75 last night than lower tiers.  Lol, go figure).

For reference: 

http://wotlabs.net/sea/player/AdrianK

http://worldoftanks.asia/community/accounts/2000314370-AdrianK/

When I go on tilt I am usually only winning ~55% to ~45% of my games with about ~2300 WN8.

Your improvement is very good, and as long as you are that's a good thing, the rate at which you improve is not really something to worry about, if you want to get better at higher tiers Kewei's method can definitely work, but I would suggest trying it at tier 8, which is both easier to do well in and won't cost nearly as much as say, tier 10. Tier 9 can also work if you are comfortable with it. One of the advantages to Kewei's method is that you will learn about the tanks you face quite quickly.

View Post_Jibril_, on 11 January 2015 - 03:48 AM, said:

How much angle is too much for Russian MT ? I remembered a shootout with my T-62A against an Object 907 , I was angling to cover up my hull but I got penetrated on the sides . I estimate that I was doing 20 degree angle .

Autobounce is no more than a 15o angle, you can't angle past that without risk because almost all mediums have poor side armour, and the 62 has a bit of the hull that sticks out too (though I've only been penned there twice, and only because of RNG).

AdrianK #44 Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

Morally obliged to fire gold

• Beta-Tester
  • 22575 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostStormtroop3r, on 11 January 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

When I go on tilt I am usually only winning ~55% to ~45% of my games with about ~2300 WN8.

Wow, awesome.  Thanks for the advice :great:

Hope is not a strategy

Pray here to MM, RNG and Luck : http://mmrngluck.azurewebsites.net/

Fer_de_Lance #45 Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 27210 battles

Another one worth mentioning (and sure the answer will be of benefit to many) is what's your take on derp vs RoF guns?

Do you consider lower pen and RoF but higher alpha damage is better than higher pen and high RoF but lower alpha?

Example:

KV2 - Derp gun 700 alpha but pen is lower (110/136/86 avg) and 2.5 rounds a minute

KV2 - 107 mm Zis-6 300 alpha but pen much better (167/219/54) but 6.19 rounds a minute.

All these are figures before any bonuses from skills or equipment etc.....but close DPM either way.

I usually go for RoF (as those guns often have better pen on tanks) especially as you can find yourself in two tiers above...at least you can actually pen and cause damage.

What's your take on it man?

Seems like the choice is often 'the devil or the deep blue sea' to me sometimes.

Cheers.

Edited by Fer_de_Lance, 11 January 2015 - 08:44 PM.

Frooty_Ninja #46 Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 5917 battles

Storm good thread.  It's the only one worth reading in gameplay discussion at the moment, well done.

Question.  Do you feel improvement solo is possible, or even superior to improvement in a platoon?  The sort of improvement I am referring to is real and drastic improvement i.e. when you turned your stats and gameplay around in that 12 month period.  Was most of that internal driven improvement by reading/watching, learning, applying/practicing then refining?  Have you ever learnt much from platoons with other players?

I know it would obviously vary individual to individual in regards to different people responding to different teaching/learning styles, but still wondering what your thoughts are on it.  I've definitely got my own views on this as well.

User is sick of making up user is statements.

_Storm #47 Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

Ordo Hereticus

• 14825 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostFer_de_Lance, on 11 January 2015 - 10:44 PM, said:

Another one worth mentioning (and sure the answer will be of benefit to many) is what's your take on derp vs RoF guns?

Do you consider lower pen and RoF but higher alpha damage is better than higher pen and high RoF but lower alpha?

Example:

KV2 - Derp gun 700 alpha but pen is lower (110/136/86 avg) and 2.5 rounds a minute

KV2 - 107 mm Zis-6 300 alpha but pen much better (167/219/54) but 6.19 rounds a minute.

All these are figures before any bonuses from skills or equipment etc.....but close DPM either way.

I usually go for RoF (as those guns often have better pen on tanks) especially as you can find yourself in two tiers above...at least you can actually pen and cause damage.

What's your take on it man?

Seems like the choice is often 'the devil or the deep blue sea' to me sometimes.

Cheers.

It often depends on the platform, some tanks, such as the KV-2, should always use the derp, because it's made for it, and also the 107mm is much better suited to the T-150, but if you were driving an M4A3E8 the 76mm is easily the better choice because the E8 has the characteristics to use it effectively, not to mention the 76mm itself is a better gun than the 105mm. The E-100 is another good example, where it is basically made for the 150mm, and kind of sucks with the 128mm. Having said all that I generally don't like derps so I don't really use them, though they can be very lulzy at times, and some tanks like the tier 5 M4 can go with or without, depending on personal preference too.

View PostSnoopDongyDong, on 11 January 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

Storm good thread.  It's the only one worth reading in gameplay discussion at the moment, well done.

Question.  Do you feel improvement solo is possible, or even superior to improvement in a platoon?  The sort of improvement I am referring to is real and drastic improvement i.e. when you turned your stats and gameplay around in that 12 month period.  Was most of that internal driven improvement by reading/watching, learning, applying/practicing then refining?  Have you ever learnt much from platoons with other players?

I know it would obviously vary individual to individual in regards to different people responding to different teaching/learning styles, but still wondering what your thoughts are on it.  I've definitely got my own views on this as well.

Thanks.

If you are a quick/natural learner playing solo is by far the best way to improve, this is because it is harder than if you were in a platoon, some of the best players on NA such as Kewei and Garbad got where they are by playing solo, and to the best of my knowledge continue to mostly play solo.

As for myself, I went from being a light green recent to purple recent in 2000 games, this was roughly the time where I started reading lots of guides across this forum, the NA forum and wotlabs, along with properly experiencing the high tiers in the form of the Leo pta, I didn't platoon much because I didn't know many people, and most of those I did platoon with were usually about the same or worse, looking back I guess I sort of* accidentally learned using Kewei's method, because I was playing the Leo pta, which forced me to either learn how to play high tier mediums, or fail miserably, which I did, and by the end of the grind I had gotten much better.

I have learnt lots of stuff in platoons too, for example while playing with Camma I noticed some of the positions he used in his mediums, and have started using some of the myself, I also believe he indirectly made me more a aggressive player (I needed to pad the mad damagez too). Here's a thread by Garbad, where he talks about platooning with some players who weren't very good to say the least, and what they learnt from just a small number of games while platooning with him.

*The "sort of" because it wasn't truly what Kewei advocated, as it wasn't entirely solo, and I ground out the Leo super casually, playing lots of lower tiers at the same time.

AnninTofuXD #48 Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:00 AM

Captain

• 8900 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
How to judge when and where to be aggressive ? Especially for high tier games , I been playing in platoons lately and upon reading the Garbad's thread . I find myself in a situation where my platoon ends up doing all the dirty job for me . As for me , I been following a set of actions pre-planned and won't stray far from my plans in game . My usual routine is find a bush , snipe , see my platoon mates die then roll out to sweep the remaining enemies . However , I did try to be aggressive recently but I end up being burden to my platoon because they literally had to die infront of me so I can escape in one piece watching them die again . A little insight of my platoon mates , they mostly use HT and TD . I am the odd one out with a MT but I general behave like a TD at least the early part of the game . 

_MadCow_ #49 Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

First lieutenant

• 19899 battles
was going to suggest links with headings but you already have a links bit

Edited by _MadCow_, 12 January 2015 - 12:19 PM.

_Storm #50 Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Ordo Hereticus

• 14825 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I can't write long pasts right now, so I will be holding off answering questions until Thursday, please continue asking questions though, I can't help people if this thread is silent.

ForkUrEyes #51 Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 24317 battles

Have you ever rage while playing?

I do. Especially when clickers trying so hard to get you. It's like you the only enemy they see. I rather getting shot by the E100 than being shot by those pesky little annoying clickers.

Anyway, when I'm happy I can do great. Most of the time. But when I'm in rage I will play like a total scrub. I cannot think properly. Leading me to made a bad decisions. No to mention a broken keyboard or mouse after being smashed on a table by me. So, how not to rage? :/

Hahahahahaha

Frooty_Ninja #52 Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:22 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 5917 battles

Storm

What do I need to do to get better at this game?  What are my key development opportunities?

I will also reply to your solo/platoon comment later in the week.

PS- I heard a rumour about you

_Storm #53 Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

Ordo Hereticus

• 14825 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostSnoopDongyDong, on 14 January 2015 - 04:22 AM, said:

Storm

What do I need to do to get better at this game?  What are my key development opportunities?

I will also reply to your solo/platoon comment later in the week.

PS- I heard a rumour about you

Have you clicked "battle" anytime lately? Apparently it's rather hard to get better when you stop playing for months on end. 

And I have my doubts, there are far more interesting people to talk about than me.

Edited by Stormtroop3r, 14 January 2015 - 06:20 AM.

Frooty_Ninja #54 Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 5917 battles

View PostStormtroop3r, on 14 January 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

Have you clicked "battle" anytime lately? Apparently it's rather hard to get better when you stop playing for months on end. 

And I have my doubts, there are far more interesting people to talk about than me.

Rumour has it you were the last person to play a game with Fruity_Ninja.  Ever.

Oh yeh the click battle thing would certainly help.  But besides from that a few tips would be appreciated :)

Frooty_Ninja #55 Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:07 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 5917 battles

View PostStormtroop3r, on 12 January 2015 - 12:32 AM, said:

If you are a quick/natural learner playing solo is by far the best way to improve, this is because it is harder than if you were in a platoon, some of the best players on NA such as Kewei and Garbad got where they are by playing solo, and to the best of my knowledge continue to mostly play solo.

As for myself, I went from being a light green recent to purple recent in 2000 games, this was roughly the time where I started reading lots of guides across this forum, the NA forum and wotlabs, along with properly experiencing the high tiers in the form of the Leo pta, I didn't platoon much because I didn't know many people, and most of those I did platoon with were usually about the same or worse, looking back I guess I sort of* accidentally learned using Kewei's method, because I was playing the Leo pta, which forced me to either learn how to play high tier mediums, or fail miserably, which I did, and by the end of the grind I had gotten much better.

I have learnt lots of stuff in platoons too, for example while playing with Camma I noticed some of the positions he used in his mediums, and have started using some of the myself, I also believe he indirectly made me more a aggressive player (I needed to pad the mad damagez too). Here's a thread by Garbad, where he talks about platooning with some players who weren't very good to say the least, and what they learnt from just a small number of games while platooning with him.

*The "sort of" because it wasn't truly what Kewei advocated, as it wasn't entirely solo, and I ground out the Leo super casually, playing lots of lower tiers at the same time.

My thoughts on the situation are along those lines as well Storm.  You need to be able to think on your own, and make quick decisions on your own.  Doing this regularly on your own gives you a chance to train that ability and gives you a chance to refine this skill.

I was the same as you, I think I've platooned with maybe 8-10 purples in my whole time playing the game (and that was after a few years of not platooning with superior players).  It was nearly always with someone of a similar or lower level, but mostly solo.

Platooning too much with better players i.e all the time, usually leaves you counting too much on their decisions.  Whilst it might win you more games, it won't maximise the development of your own decision making skills.

Get out there and be your own commander.

azmania3000 #56 Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

Captain

• 41104 battles
  • [BURN] BURN

View PostStormtroop3r, on 09 January 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

Read both Garbad and Kewei's guides on improving, while I wouldn't recommend going full hardcore when trying Kewei's method it will be very hard to improve at that tier if you only play it very rarely, some of the things that will help such as increasing your knowledge on the tanks you will see will only happen if you see them often enough to remember them.

Man I watched those guys replays and all they do is go to a flank and hold it. "Derr playing tier 10's like a pro; drive 500m to hard cover, sidescrape, shoot a few times and the other flank will get to cap." What a [Content removed] load of Horse_ _ _ _!!!!.

-> So i pull out my trusty IS7, drive 500m to hard cover, get owned 8-4 tanks (after doing 2.5k dmg and blocking 3k dmg), then get abused by a maus driver trying to beat a med pack to cap that "I lost the flank."

Sorry storm, those guys tutorials are useless; Cherry picked replays and rubbish claims of "Derr I can win tier 10 solo 70%, just follow my pro tips and you will be the same". LIES MAN!!!!!

--> Man I'm a veteran player, I've run CW campaigns and gone toe to toe with the best on this server (sometimes I win too XD). What I can never do is make the enemy sit there like stunned mullets and eat my rounds, like they do on the replays. Those [Content removed] are always on the other flank of my team. My conclusion is that Asia server must play "differently", and "generally" you need to platoon WELL to get +55% w/r in any tank tier 8+.

How about a focus on platoon mechanics, mainly getting people to work together in small groups? It's just I looked at the guides, performed as par instruction and it did nothing to help me and I felt very frustrated.

Profanity; Content removed, user warned.

~neokai

Edited by neokai, 20 January 2015 - 04:28 PM.

AnninTofuXD #57 Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

Captain

• 8900 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
Their methods may work on their server but not so much on ours , I tried it before and it did not work out . I end up using the local players ingenuity tricks to compliment mine . 

Fun_D3str0y3r_Saffe #58 Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Master flipper !

• Live Streamer
  • 35674 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View Postazmania3000, on 15 January 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

and "generally" you need to platoon WELL to get +55% w/r in any tank tier 8+.

Im not gonna comment on the rest of your post cause i have not tried copy anyone else. I read guides but learnt most of the stuff myself or from ingame experience.

but what you said just there just makes me feel like saying 

you are obviously just not very good@tanks

and no i did not even bother checking your stats so i may be wrong but im pretty sure im not

Edited by Saffee, 15 January 2015 - 12:46 PM.

"You guys run around in t10 tanks with, prem consumables, prem rounds, prem crews and even prem modules and that is not fair on the newbies in t8, how do you expect the server to survive if this is what they get from your clan. Some of us want this server to survive."
FeelsBirthday

Ezz #59 Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60964 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

I don't think whether az is good or bad is really the point. Suffice to say WG has made it very hard to quantify all this given toon time can't be isolated from stats.

But fwiw az, solo 55%+ at tier 8+ is well and truly possible in some tanks. Tooning is definitely not a requirement.

Edited by Ezz, 15 January 2015 - 12:49 PM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Fun_D3str0y3r_Saffe #60 Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

Master flipper !

• Live Streamer
  • 35674 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

yeah fair enough.

But I play mainly solo and worked hard to get better

Both My RU and 1390 for example since we spoke in the kac thread i got up from i think 55 to 56.9%

that is all solo. , just annoys me when people come out with that shite, just get better :P

Ezz vbaddict separates it does it not?

since i started using last week when feet showed  it it says im 64.2 solo and 71.9 tooned.

not sure how accurate it is.

And i only play 9s and 10s very very rarely 8s and 1 in 100 is low tier. 

Edited by Saffee, 15 January 2015 - 01:00 PM.

"You guys run around in t10 tanks with, prem consumables, prem rounds, prem crews and even prem modules and that is not fair on the newbies in t8, how do you expect the server to survive if this is what they get from your clan. Some of us want this server to survive."
FeelsBirthday

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users