Why Armageddon was an absolute failure

WG is bad@cw

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

_Storm #1 Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:48 PM

Major

• 14364 battles

POPULAR

I know I quit the forums a while back, but honestly, this campaign is so flawed, both in concept and in practice, that I felt compelled to write yet another rant about WG's failures.

1. A "reward" that costs $50 USD - who's bright idea was this? Campaigns aren't "fun" per se, people don't participate because they enjoy them any more than usual cw, indeed, the stress associated with fame points and the inter-clam rivalry they promote (who gets picked and who doesn't) often makes them very frustrating, they participate for a chance at a free tank and a bit of gold on the side too, however, the "reward" for all this is to spend $50 of gold on an inferior IS-3? Why would WG even think that a "win2pay" system is a remotely good idea? Are they not already drowning in money which would allow them to give away free tanks to those who have spent more time (and often money too) than most other demographics that play this game? A "reward" that you have to pay $50 USD for isn't a reward at all, it's a terrible idea and shouldn't be repeated. What should have happened is all of the tanks should be free, with a reduced overall number like past campaigns, instead of the blatant cashgrab that WG opted to go for when they declared that most of the reward tanks would only be attainable with a sizeable amount of gold.

2. The license system and fame points - It has already been well established that fame points are a bad system, due to their limited ability to get everyone who was active a tank, as well as the fiction they generate between clam members, however, fame points used in conjunction with the license system is an even worse system, now not only are the officers forced to choose who gets the tank and who doesn't, assuming they get into the top 16 clams they are also forced to choose who gets a tank for free, and who has to pony up to WG, the only thing that the system used in this campaign added was the number of headaches officer's had to deal with. Either system by itself is acceptable, if not preferable, however, using the two in conjunction is awful, and should never be repeated

3. A fame points system where RNG plays an important role - Basically, luck of the draw had far more of an effect on a clam's ability to succeed in its goals, unless the clam in question was one of the top clams in the server whether or not you were able to complete your clam mission was often decided by RNG, essentially by who else it chose to give target provinces to, this resulted in some terrible clams achieving theirs, while decent clams got stuffed with top clams competing for their targets, this was a problem affecting NA & EU too, so represents a failure in WG's ability to write decent rules. Furthermore, RNG dictated where you would land in New Swabia, where some LZs could chip onto two reactors, others only one, and that's before mentioning that as a result of RNG your ability to successfully land (you don't get any choice who you fight, because evidently choosing where to chip is too much effort an should be simplified in accordance with WG's approach to the rest of the game, where simple = better).

4. And where timezones ultimately dictated the winner - Let's play a game of spot the difference shall we?

Late timezone:

Spoiler

Seems fairly normal, a reasonably high number of mostly top clams all vying for control of the land, this part seems normal for a campaign.

Middle timezone

Spoiler

Not quite so many clams on this part of the map, but still for the most part very competent, again, this is more or less what is to be expected.

Early timezone

Spoiler

...Why is this even a thing? Contested by essentially three clams (VP had a very minimal presence) for almost the entirety of the campaign on this part of the map, there was essentially no competition at all, with only CHE being a clam that could be defined as good, so VN-F, -AOW- and VP, three clams who would all best be described as "incredibly mediocre in the best of circumstances" essentially had incredibly easy access to fame points which they didn't even have to fight for, -AOW- has a huge 22 members in the top 1600, which is hilarious considering they are apparently #3 according to WG's rules, in short, the winners of this campaign were almost entirely dictated by timezone, what astounds me is WG didn't manage to foresee this, even though they had already made this mistake before, with the clan wars map that was introduced after campaign 2, where there was far too much land in the East, which allowed scrub clams who shouldn't even be on the map to get decent amounts of gold. GG WG, next time put some efforts into working out the demographics please, instead of copy pasting and hoping it turns out for the best.

5. It's nice to see that tan has already gotten around to making a thread congratulating this campaign's winners, but I for one am still waiting for the forum and portal announcement to declare that DPS won campaign 3, even in the face of VPA and their subclam's best efforts. Or am I incorrect, and C3 never happened/DPS didn't actually win/DPS haxxed their way to victory?

In summary, Armageddon was an objective failure, WG once again displayed it cannot into CW, and I really hope whoever though of charging money for a reward tank gets an educational trip to a Siberian Gulag.

/Rant

Thread title edited as per OP's request.

~neokai

Edited by neokai, 19 June 2015 - 03:56 PM.

xNewbTamerx #2 Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 35906 battles
  • [FLEX] FLEX
Well said Stormtroop3r, agree with all 5 points!

thommo_nz #3 Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

Sergeant

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 44242 battles
  • [NZAD] NZAD

Smirk @ 'clams'

JimmyJim #4 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 49278 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

That early timezone is probably the funniest of all. VN-F is basically farming all the fame point and gold LOL...........................

I "gato" them LOL.................

I bet they earn enough gold to even reward some members with FREE IS-6 if they did not get the IS-5 :trollface:

Nishizumi_Miho_SG #5 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:15 PM

Staff sergeant

• 1263 battles
  • [WAT] WAT

I can still remember the early days (When PANZA was a thing), east coast provinces were 4PM (or 5PM) server time. And all the cries of "WG ignoring the geographic that has the most players and is their highest source of revenue blah blah our own server please"

Where did all those players go?

Splattimus #6 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 24406 battles
  • [PANZA] PANZA

View PostNishizumi_Miho_SG, on 19 June 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

Where did all those players go?

To work...

Sarge: What a way to go. Killed by my own mechanical creations. I'm sure there's a philosophical lesson to be learned from all this.
Simmons: Something about the dangers of technology and the unwavering pride of mankind?
Sarge: No, something about hiring better help that doesn't just stand around watching you die!

I don't believe we should kill all the stupid people. Just remove some of the warning signs and let nature take its course...

ForkUrEyes #7 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 24317 battles
That's why I didn't even play even a single cw battle in this campaign. Have to pay for your price? lol

Hahahahahaha

Tanitha #8 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

WOT Producer

• Administrator
  • 4206 battles
  • [WG] WG

View PostForkUrEyes, on 19 June 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

That's why I didn't even play even a single cw battle in this campaign. Have to pay for your price? lol

No.

Tanks are awarded free to active players (top 1600 personal fame) in the winning clans.

Awarding all players in a winning clan doesn't work, inactives shouldn't get award tanks, and clan positions shouldn't be sold.

Awards shouldn't be based on personal fame, as its a clan based event.

Some players who had a high personal fame, but were in clans that did not win. Can buy the tank if they wish.

/Tan

Feel free to like my Wargaming Facebook Page WGTanitha

_xXx_Rinzler_o7o7o7_xXx_ #9 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

First lieutenant

• 13163 battles
  • [HODOR] HODOR
Remember guys, this game isn't pay2win. It's win2pay!

MS Paint Whisperer | Youtube Channel | Filthy Clicker

BlackPaw #10 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 36740 battles
  • [RTA-X] RTA-X

View Post_xXx_Rinzler_o7o7o7_xXx_, on 19 June 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

Holy... this is holy... WG just create another type of gaming system or genre.... this is so original.... comparing to when there is WOT 0.6-0.7 happened.

Nice that I have 0 CW match... too many busy doing and playing other things.

View PostTanitha, on 19 June 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

No.

Tanks are awarded free to active players (top 1600 personal fame) in the winning clans.

Awarding all players in a winning clan doesn't work, inactives shouldn't get award tanks, and clan positions shouldn't be sold.

This is true.

This is true, but they should also get reward the deserve by that much of participating.

Some players who had a high personal fame, but were in clans that did not win. Can buy the tank if they wish. should get the reward tank they deserve to have without paying to get it. <-- that's the point.

/Tan

Edited by BlackPaw, 19 June 2015 - 02:54 PM.

myth002 #11 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 17795 battles
  • [RAISE] RAISE

View Post_xXx_Rinzler_o7o7o7_xXx_, on 19 June 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

And a new genre of gaming was founded among this train wreck. Much +1 :teethhappy:

Asura_Return #12 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:52 PM

First lieutenant

• 49246 battles
  • [T-C] T-C

If you are rank 1 , you can post to this topic ? The campaign, really is a failure to you : Mặt troll:

Off topic posting; user warned.

~neokai

If you don't have a point to make, don't post.

Edited by neokai, 19 June 2015 - 02:56 PM.

neokai #13 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

SealClub Number 9

• Forum Moderator
  • 34671 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

Storm,

Call me picky, but it's intra, not inter-clam.

Beyond that, I agree with all points except the last bit about DPS not announced as winners of C3. Deathskyz is already checking in with Tan about that in another thread.

Spoiler

TE_Saffe #14 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

Major

• Live Streamer
  • 32962 battles

Well written storm

I admire you taking the effort to type it all up! 

I think most of us just shrug our shoulders and think nothing new, nothing to see.

MissMadeline #15 Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:07 PM

Staff sergeant

• 15407 battles
  • [THINK] THINK
I have run out of +1's to give *Sad face*

My random pubs battle theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

Counterflak #16 Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

Staff sergeant

• 15161 battles

View PostBao_Sa_Mac, on 19 June 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

If you are rank 1 , you can post to this topic ? The campaign, really is a failure to you : Mặt troll:

Fame points have always been an issue, and the issue about 1/2 of the tank winners having to purchase their tank is the equivalent of Germany buying the World Cup last year after winning. I doubt you would be so smug if VPA was in the bottom 10 and had to buy a CW tank.

_xXx_Rinzler_o7o7o7_xXx_ #17 Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:12 PM

First lieutenant

• 13163 battles
  • [HODOR] HODOR

View PostCounterflak, on 19 June 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Fame points have always been an issue, and the issue about 1/2 of the tank winners having to purchase their tank is the equivalent of Germany buying the World Cup last year after winning. I doubt you would be so smug if VPA was in the bottom 10 and had to buy a CW tank.

Don't be silly, it's been proven that VM are reliable rigging buddies allies

MS Paint Whisperer | Youtube Channel | Filthy Clicker

zaha #18 Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 14332 battles
  • [RPS] RPS

View Post_xXx_Rinzler_o7o7o7_xXx_, on 19 June 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

Absolute win.

*R.I.P p0ndas*

#3006neverforget

mttspiii #19 Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 26043 battles
  • [CRAZY] CRAZY
This just makes the us-vs-them mindset of this server worse. The best way to stop 'riggings' like these is to get some riggers on our side as well.

Edited by mttspiii, 19 June 2015 - 03:26 PM.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

vivazhy #20 Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:33 PM

Corporal

• 18260 battles
  • [XD] XD

View PostTanitha, on 19 June 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

No.

Some players who had a high personal fame, but were in clans that did not win. Can buy the tank if they wish.

/Tan

the price is simply too high. either the tank is good enough to be worthy. 12000 for most people is not a small amount.

Half the price may ease they anger of the 'Pro Players'.

1 VNF 55
2 VPA 90
3 AOW 22
4 PZSRL 38
5 VAE 21
6 CHE 30
7 TWIST 30
8 - 16 XD - FLEX 135
  Total Free 421
  Total Qualified to Buy 1179
  Estimated Population (70% pay) 1246.3

1 user(s) are reading this topic