T26E4 Review for 9.9 Buff.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like the SP? (22 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 20 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you recommend the T26E4?

1. Yes (18 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

2. No :( (4 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Hide poll

Proloser #1 Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:50 AM

Major

• 21853 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

Hey guys! For some reason, I felt like writing a review on my newest premium tank, the T26E4. Most of you already have it, but on the off-chance that someone is on the verge of buying it, I thought I'd post a quick review to help them make their decision. 

I'll break the review down into separate sections - Overall Performance/Intro, Gun, Turret, Hull/Mobility, some techniques I've found that help, and finally a couple of replays. For those who can't be bothered reading the whole review, I'll add a short pros/cons list at the end.
If you're wondering to believe what I say or not about the tank, FYI at the time of writing I have 176 battles in it with a 55% WR. Was up at 57% for a while but I've had a streak of bad luck :trollface:

Also want to thank Spacewolf for proof-reading!
So, without further ado, I'll start :P

Overall Performance/Intro:

The T26E4 is a medium tank that plays like a heavy. It is one of those tanks that you can either have a fantastic game in, or an absolutely terrible game. Since your sides are paper thin, you have to rely on your team mates to stop yourself getting flanked. This, of course, is something you can't control and is why you either have ripper games or just absolute failures. Platooning with a good player will help reduce this problem, of course. 

When you have a good, supportive team, you will be blown away by how much you can troll the enemy with your frontal armour, and be a major contributor to winning the game. This is not a tank where you hide behind others; you use your frontal armour to help push or hold flanks instead, and absorb shots from enemies for your less-armoured allies. 

Your gun is good, but definitely not amazing, and you have worse mobility than quite a few other equal tier heavies (IS-3 for example).

You also have a great amount of HP for a medium tank (1500), which is more than some heavies at the same tier, and it also makes a decent amount of credits, with an average game (~1200 damage) generating around 25k credits, or a nice game (~2000 damage) generating up to 40k without premium.

Like Serb, you will be rolling in money if you use a premium account. I've made 85-90k profit in a single game (total reward was 100k but had repair and ammo bills).

Gun:
The best word to describe the gun is 'meh'. It certainly isn't bad, but it's quite underpowered in terms of pen. Here are the stats:

Caliber: 90mm
RoF: 7.32
Pen: 170/258/45
Average Damage: 240/240/320
Dispersion: 0.38
Aim Time: 2.3 seconds
Depression: -10

As you can see, if you don't spam gold you only have 170mm to work with. This might seem terrible at first, but if you know your weak spots, you can pen most of them quite easily. Of course you will have to spam some gold, especially when facing T9 tanks. Luckily, the gold rounds have quite nice pen (258mm) so you can treat it pretty much like a normal T8 gun. The gun has a decent rate of fire, and with a fully trained crew I have my reload down to 6.92 seconds.

One problem with the gun is that it is a medium tank gun. So in the scenario that you are trading shots with heavies, such as the IS-6 (which has a sub 10 second reload), if he pens you every time, he will win (assuming you both start with full HP). Thankfully, if you know how to use your armour you can bounce pretty much every shot from the IS-6 (especially if he is only shooting standard ammo).

Of course, tanks with higher pen will have an easier time penning so that's something you need to watch out for. Gold rounds are quite expensive, but using a few here and there won't affect your profits too much, and in most cases it's possible to get through a whole game without using any gold. 

On the other hand, the T26E4 is a medium destroyer, if you can stop yourself getting flanked.

The gun accuracy is not bad, at 0.38. Since this is a medium tank gun, for some comparison, the guns on the Panther II has an accuracy of 0.32 or 0.34 depending on whether you use the 7,5 cm Kw.K. L/100 or 8,8 cm Kw.K. 43 L/71, respectively. The top gun on the standard Pershing has 0.37 accuracy (90 mm Gun T15E2M2), while the STA-1's top gun has 0.36 accuracy (90 mm Gun Type 61).

You can see that it's not as accurate as the others, but it won't stop you from getting a few nice mid range snipes, and it's very easy to hit weak spots up close.

Aim time is good, at 2.3 seconds. Compared to the afore-mentioned tanks, the Panther II's 8.8cm gun has a 2.7 aim time, the 7.5cm has a 2.1 aim time, the Pershing has 2.3 sec aim time, and the STA-1 has 2.3 sec aim time. 

Like hellvn mentioned in a comment below, the gun has good bloom values and does feel more accurate than 0.38. You can see how accurate it is on the run in the first video.

Rating: 6/10

Turret:

The turret on the tank is good and bad. The good is that the face of the turret is very well protected with layers of metal stacked on top of each other, making it very hard to pen (practically impossible for equal-tier tanks, with armour ranging from 302mm-340mm, according to Tank Inspector). This is good against bad players, but any competent tanker will know that they can shoot the hatch on top of the tank from the front, or shoot the turret cheeks.
The following image (pinched from wotguru.com), although for the older version of the T26E4, still shows the general idea of where you want to shoot:

You can shoot pretty much anywhere you like on the side of the tank and pen, so I won't bother with any detail on that. 
Turret traverse is quite slow, at 24 deg/s. It won't affect combat until your turret is damaged, or you have to turn to stop a scout circling you. It bites you in the bum then :trollface:
Now, the great thing about this tank is how far you can point its gun down. -10 degrees is great, especially when hill fighting.

For someone like myself who has mainly played Russian tanks, this is just awesome. For this reason I have decided to give the turret 7 out of 10. Of course your opinions will vary, and those who are coming from tanks like the Comet probably won't really understand why I appreciate that -10 depression so much :)

According to crazib, since the HD re-work of the tank, the cupolas on the turret are a little more bouncy than usual. I personally never bounce any shots up there but who knows :playing:

Rating: 7/10

Hull/Mobility:
The hull, in my opinion, is what is either going to make you love or hate the tank. It has awesome spaced armour on the front which will absorb loads of high-tier gun shots, but sadly the sides are paper thin, at only 76mm thick. This of course means no sidescraping :| 

The frontal hull's spaced armour will absorb many poorly aimed shots. Problem is that it has a machine gun port on the front (refer to the image above) that is only 75mm of armour. Although small, if you sit still it's very easy to hit this. Obviously the best way to make it hard for someone to shoot you there is to continuously move around. If you keep this hard to hit, you'll quite regularly get lucky and absorb hits frontally from things like the RHM, and I've even absorbed a T95 shot 3 times in a row.

Now, this nice armour comes at a price. Mobility. You are an absolute SLUG. Downhill you'll hit a decent speed of 40kph, but crawling uphill you'll grind down to around 10kph. Flat ground you can average 28-30kph. Hull traverse isn't too bad, but the speed will cause you to lose some games since you can't turn fast enough to stop a death-circling scout or fast medium. It also makes it painful to move long distances around the map, especially if the base is being captured.

Getting shot in the engine area will result in frequent engine damage (which is probably the worst kind of damage you can get in this tank) or fire. Just don't get shot there, ok? :p
I found I've rarely been tracked in this tank, so they must have a quite high damage threshold. Then again it's so slow that you don't need to track it :D

I rated the hull 7/10 since I have absorbed some pretty insane shots. Lost 3 points for mobility.

Rating: 7/10

Techniques:
Always, and I mean always, point your front towards the enemy. don't angle much at all because that 76mm side armour won't bounce anything. In this tank you have to rely on that spaced armour on the front. Always wiggle your hull and turret so the machine gun port and the hatches on the roof can't get shot as easily. 

You need to learn how to use the front armour effectively, and one trick I've found is to use it to fake moving out behind a wall. Since you have quite a good chance of absorbing anything shot at you, poke it out and hope that your enemy will shoot at it. If they do, continue to move out and have fun wrecking them (you MUST keep an eye on where the machine gun port is. You will pay if you're not careful about it!).
I generally use my T26E4 to lead a push through a flank, and to test for sharks when no tanks are visible. Once the enemy is engaged with other heavies, I slowly move myself around to another point where I can shoot their sides, or, depending on what I'm facing, will brawl frontally with them. 

At all costs, DON'T LET YOURSELF GET FLANKED! Keep an eye on that mini-map for scouts or mediums sneaking around. 

If you think you know where any SPG shots are coming from, try to position yourself towards that direction so any arty shots hopefully hit the spaced armour on front of your tank, not the engine deck.I've been 1 shotted (1500HP) by a scumbag once because I wasn't sure where the shot was coming from, and he hit the top of my engine deck :(

This tank is also an ideal support tank. Popping in and out between your higher tier allies shots to put in an extra ~200 damage is an immense help. The 3rd replay shows how me and a VK45.02b single-handedly (well, double-handedly :p) fought off 6 tanks and went on to win the game.

Equipment & Consumables:
Thanks to the advice of the pros here on the forums, I am currently running Vents, Verts, and Gun Rammer. For consumables, I always equip a Small Repair Kit, Small First Aid Kit, and either Manual or Auto Fire Extinguisher (depending on how many credits I have at the time).

Pros/Cons:
+ Great frontal armour
+ Great gun depression
+ Great frontal armour
+ Good turret

+ Pretty good money maker
+ Great frontal armour
+ Did I mention that it has great frontal armour?

- Bad side armour
- Slow
- Sub-par pen

Overall Rating: 8/10

Yes, I know that I rated most of the subsections 7/10, but there's something about this tank that I really like. I can't put my finger on it, but it's just fun. And it looks great too (maybe that's where the extra 1 came from) :p

Conclusion:
I can definitely recommend this tank. It is reliable and fun to play if you are used to heavies. However, if you get it expecting medium performance, you will be disappointed.

VIDEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS:
Here are some vids of me playing. First vid was when I aced it, and the second vid is to prove that you CAN get through games without firing any gold, and the last shows how it can be very effective at T9 for support. Please note I'm not a unicum so I've made plenty of green/yellow mistakes, if you think there's anything I could've done better, let me know!

Please note that the first video was when I was very new to the tank (had not yet earned a M.O.E or had much experience driving it). That's why I was so hesitant and unsure at first. After the game developed I warmed up and started carrying more. Skip to 4:02 to see more action.

Second game was good but I got sloppy at the end when I knew we were going to win and gave my side to the SPG and medium tank down below the castle, who almost killed me and damaged my turret. That is what you must not do:P

Finally the last third game was an absolute gold spamming mess. I hate spamming that much gold, but in situations like that you don't want to be bouncing anything! Action starts at 2:20.

So that sums up my quick review. Would like to say again, big thanks to Spacewolf for taking precious time out of his tanking session to have a look at it! :great:

Also, any feedback is very welcome for if I ever write another review :p

Edited by Proloser, 19 August 2015 - 11:49 AM.

kek

_Sammich_ #2 Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

Major

• 26559 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Good review Proloser I think you covered it all, but what's the frontal armour like?

The tank works quite well hull down and also as a hill peekabooer (much like a centurion) in addition to leading a charge, as the gun zooms in quite quickly, has good bloom values and seems more accurate than the .38 suggests.  The cupola is a weak spot, so wriggling in between shots helps immensely.

It's a tank that can carry, but will need support if there is the possibly that it can be flanked. If you can keep your front towards the enemy, then this tank shines.
Trust no one, unless you have eaten much salt with them - Cicero

spacewolf #3 Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 64066 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

That reads quite well, and the addition of pics and vids helps convey your points.

Proloser #4 Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:23 PM

Major

• 21853 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View Posthellvn, on 18 August 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:

Good review Proloser I think you covered it all, but what's the frontal armour like?

The tank works quite well hull down and also as a hill peekabooer (much like a centurion) in addition to leading a charge, as the gun zooms in quite quickly, has good bloom values and seems more accurate than the .38 suggests. The cupola is a weak spot, so wriggling in between shots helps immensely.

It's a tank that can carry, but will need support if there is the possibly that it can be flanked. If you can keep your front towards the enemy, then this tank shines.

The frontal armour is great :trollface:

You're right, I should have added those in. I'll edit it now because that's quite important, and it's even shown in the video where you can snapshot on the run and still hit your target.

View Postspacewolf, on 18 August 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

That reads quite well, and the addition of pics and vids helps convey your points.

Thx m8 :)

kek

tankload #5 Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

First lieutenant

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 20899 battles
  • [RAISE] RAISE
The only problem would be them coca cola cans :trollface:

Information is pretty shit, power is still power

Proloser #6 Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

Major

• 21853 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View Posttankload, on 18 August 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

You could equip them to get that 10% more skill and then chuck the coke on the flames when your engine is burning :trollface:

kek

MagicalFlyingFox #7 Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 25689 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

View Posthellvn, on 18 August 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Hull doesn't really bounce tier 9s much. Tier 8 HTs and TDs can pen somewhat reliably. Stomps on lower tier stuff. You're better off not relying on it most of the time but its still usable.

That is unless they buffed it, in which case it'd be more reliable. It should be the same as when i had it, or better. As always, keep it to your enemies or get smashed when they shoot your sides.

Proloser #8 Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:45 PM

Major

• 21853 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 18 August 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

Hull doesn't really bounce tier 9s much. Tier 8 HTs and TDs can pen somewhat reliably. Stomps on lower tier stuff. You're better off not relying on it most of the time but its still usable.

That is unless they buffed it, in which case it'd be more reliable. It should be the same as when i had it, or better. As always, keep it to your enemies or get smashed when they shoot your sides.

I think hellvn was actually joking when he asked how good the armour was (in reference to my pros/cons list).

Since it got the HD re-work it had a buff in front armour. It's actually fairly reliable now, and unless someone shoots you in the machine gun port, gets very lucky, or shoots you with something more than 220mm pen, they most probably won't go through. That's why I said it's good to use it for testing for invisitanks.

Edited by Proloser, 18 August 2015 - 05:46 PM.

kek

MagicalFlyingFox #9 Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:49 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 25689 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

View PostProloser, on 18 August 2015 - 07:45 PM, said:

I think hellvn was actually joking when he asked how good the armour was (in reference to my pros/cons list).

Since it got the HD re-work it had a buff in front armour. It's actually fairly reliable now, and unless someone shoots you in the machine gun port, gets very lucky, or shoots you with something more than 220mm pen, they most probably won't go through. That's why I said it's good to use it for testing for invisitanks.

probably xD

Ah, so its roughly between pre nerf and post nerf a while back.

Proloser #10 Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:12 PM

Major

• 21853 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 18 August 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

I never played it pre-nerf, but apparently it is. Worth picking up IMO as it is a fun medium crew trainer as well. At ~180 battles I have 100% crew, 1 skill each, and 40% on the 2nd skill. Doing approx. 2k damage + 2 kills per game gives you a nice ~900 to even 1k xp each time (no premium acc).

Edited by Proloser, 18 August 2015 - 06:16 PM.

kek

_Sammich_ #11 Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

Major

• 26559 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 18 August 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

probably xD

Gotcha

Nimish_ #12 Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:53 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 39267 battles

View Posttankload, on 18 August 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

They are just decoration and not even a part of hit box, if you are shooting them, you are doing it wrong.

Spoiler

crazib #13 Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

Captain

• 49078 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

very nice review of the SP, i feel u should add in 1 more point which is after the SP is being made into HD, the cupolas feel even more trollish to shoot at. It can even bounce off rounds.

I think a platoon of SPs spamming prem rounds would be a fearsome sight to behold

Come visit my stream: twitch.tv/crazib

my replays thread

Proloser #14 Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

Major

• 21853 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View Postcrazib, on 18 August 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

very nice review of the SP, i feel u should add in 1 more point which is after the SP is being made into HD, the cupolas feel even more trollish to shoot at. It can even bounce off rounds.

I think a platoon of SPs spamming prem rounds would be a fearsome sight to behold

Thanks! To be honest I either pen the cupolas or completely miss, so I can't personally verify that so a bit reluctant to add it. However you're a much better player than me so your word is worth more than mine :teethhappy:

And yeah you're right - that would be very scary seeing a plat of SP's.

#op #wargamingplsnerf #omgynopen

Edited by Proloser, 18 August 2015 - 09:19 PM.

kek

neokai #15 Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:11 PM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 34930 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

Moved to a more appropriate sub-forum.

~neokai

Spoiler

mttspiii #16 Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:43 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 26374 battles
  • [CRAZY] CRAZY

View PostProloser, on 18 August 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

So it's still not good as pre-nerf SPersh. Now I know why I die so often.

T_T

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

spacewolf #17 Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:52 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 64066 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

Prolly not as good as pre nerf, but it's a lot better than post nerf. It's useable now (as Mr proloser says), but you do need to think about what you're doing to prevent exposing too many soft spots.

As others have said, it kinda is somewhere in the middle, but favouring towards pre nerf of that middle....if that makes sense.

Proloser #18 Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

Major

• 21853 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View Postmttspiii, on 24 August 2015 - 01:43 AM, said:

So it's still not good as pre-nerf SPersh. Now I know why I die so often.

T_T

Yeah it's not as good as it apparently was, but I never experienced that. It definitely is more reliable than the frontal armour of the IS-3, for example.

View Postspacewolf, on 24 August 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

Prolly not as good as pre nerf, but it's a lot better than post nerf. It's useable now (as Mr proloser says), but you do need to think about what you're doing to prevent exposing too many soft spots.

As others have said, it kinda is somewhere in the middle, but favouring towards pre nerf of that middle....if that makes sense.

Yep what space says it's pretty decent now. Like the sort of decent that lets you absorb a T95 shot 3 times in a row. Frontally. With no angling.

What other T8 tank can do that? :playing:

Edited by Proloser, 25 August 2015 - 05:26 PM.

kek

ZuluFoxtrot #19 Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

Sergeant

• 13111 battles
  • [-4S-] -4S-

Quickybaby used to say "this is a tank that carry around a riot shield". I know it's an old post. I got it a few months ago, but just beginning to master it, what a blast... I felt like stealing Captain America's Vibranium shield. bounced 6200dmg in 1 game from SU-101, O-Ho, IS, Tiger I. Bullied a lone Tiger II, and Lowe. anything below 210mm pen just can't pen. Too small weakpoints from front.

Edited by ZuluFoxtrot, 25 February 2016 - 03:05 PM.

_Sammich_ #20 Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

Major

• 26559 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
The cupolas aren't too bad to aim at, and if you're forced to aim lower (eg if face hugging)l then shoot at the turret underneath the spaced armour or at the turret ring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users