In Development: Spotting Range Changes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

WGNews #1 Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

Major

• Administrator
  • 0 battles
A change in the Spotting Range mechanics will soon be introduced in Update 10.0. Read this article to find out how it will work after the Update is live.

Full news text

topshelf #2 Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 22129 battles
  • [AAD] AAD
So is this purely changing the square to a circle or are WG finally going to implement the spotting mechanic changes they raised ages ago to stop tanks disappearing when well within view range or even disappearing while driving through an open field?

fizzydrink #3 Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:00 AM

Sergeant

• 48359 battles
finally a circle!

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #4 Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:00 AM

Major

• 10950 battles
And the FALSE advertising on Bino's and Veiwing Dev being "Up to 500m" when max is 445m?

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

Darvis #5 Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:10 AM

Captain

• 34484 battles
  • [TFS] TFS

View PostInglorious_[edited]_Aust, on 07 October 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

And the FALSE advertising on Bino's and Veiwing Dev being "Up to 500m" when max is 445m?

Although you cant see beyond 445 m - if your view range was 445 m and a tank was sitting behind a bush at 440 m - then you wouldn't see it.  If your view range was 500 m, then you would.  Bushes add on x number of meters, so those add on meters get removed accordingly.

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #6 Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:12 AM

Major

• 10950 battles

It would be nice to have a Calculated View range for your Tank in the Garage with, Crew, Consumables and equipment as fitted to your Tank before Battle.

I think and I could be wrong that the stats in the garage only give you the Stock view ranges.  (I haven't really taken much notice if this has changed in the last umpteen patches)

I'd like to know that when I spend to fit the Binocs etc... How much ACTUAL improvement (Not the ambiguious "Up to 500m) there will be for my Tank.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

madmaxamus #7 Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 16764 battles
Yeah you can.  Mine shows when I change items etc.
I use the OMC mod pack.  One of the functions of that mod makes it happen. Although I don't know what one?

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #8 Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

Major

• 10950 battles

View Postmadmaxamus, on 08 October 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Yeah you can. Mine shows when I change items etc.
I use the OMC mod pack. One of the functions of that mod makes it happen. Although I don't know what one?

It would be good if it were a Standard Feature, don't you think?

Given the Items you can fit to the Tank, Crew skills etc.... 

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

FramFramson #9 Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

Major

• 55802 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

I know XVM displays it in the garage.

Sure it would be nice to have it on by default.

Proloser #10 Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

No hOpE left.

• 28184 battles

View PostNoobiusMaximus, on 26 October 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

“As you can see on the image, the square is somewhat irrational…the draw square was stipulated by specific features of the game engine. In version 10.0, the spotting system of World of Tanks will be changed.”

It is nice to see that they are addressing some of the irrational aspects of the game. Apparently it takes an improved game engine to accomplish this. I hope they continue to improve the game engine so other irrational aspects of the game can be improved as well. Two things that come to mind:

1) In a battle not long ago I saw the gun of a T26E4 going completely through and sticking out of the other side of a Jagdpanther while shooting and killing him. For some reason this seems just a tad bit irrational.

2) I’ve noticed that the match making system frequently makes irrational teams.
a) One team will have many more heavy tanks and therefore a lot more hp at the start of the game. I was in a tier 6 and lost a tier 8 game where the enemy team started with 1000+ more hp than our team and they won the game with only 500hp remaining - I couldn’t help but think if they didn’t have that advantage we might have won.
b) One team will have most of the better experienced players while the other team has most of the new and inexperienced players. It’s not difficult to predict the outcome of those match-ups.
In either situation the deck is stacked against one team. While it is not impossible to overcome those situations it certainly is not fair to any player to be on a team that starts with a disadvantage.

1) Collision detection, etc is just not worth the effort for the guns, from memory it was intentionally left out since it isn't game-breaking and doesn't affect that much (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  Also, the bullet is spawned from the front of the turret, not the end of the gun, so that's why it was still possible for the T26E4 to kill the jpanther.

2) Yeah you do get irrational teams sometimes (like 4 SPGs per team, lol)

a) Having more heavy tanks doesn't necessarily mean that you will win. Put a medium tank and a heavy tank in a 1v1 match, and the medium will win almost every time due to much better mobility and DPM. Just track the heavy and run circles around it, for example. So if you have more mediums than they have heavies, and if all your mediums are good drivers, then the poor old dumb heavies don't stand a chance. Ever seen a medium wolfpack?

As most maps are in favour of mediums, just flank, snipe, and track the heavies in the open for your TD's or SPGs. :)

b) I agree... it sucks, lol. I've been on teams where every single bot player has < 46% win rate, and other times I've had a team full of unicums. IMO there should be some balancing factors added in that take the player's WR into account and place evenly skilled players on the teams.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users