KuroYukiOuji's road to Purplez

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

KuroYukiOuji #1 Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

Hi guys, I have recently achieved purple on both my recent WN8 and WR. While this may not be impressive to some, it has been my goal since I got blue the start.

Spoiler

Feeling generous, I'd like to share some information which would help people to get better in general and get to purple in particular. The information is geared toward green/dark green, or in other words people who generally understand most game mechanics, know most weakspots, etc. This is not a specific padding guide, as I do not do things that people would normally considered padding such as

Spoiler

The first very comprehensive guide to 'git gud' can be found here. I did not know these things until recently, but I accumulated most of these over the course of my 12k games anyway.

When you've done reading that, let me stress a few important points:

1. Mods and settings

Despite what the elitist mod-haters say, mod are an integral part to the game, to my gameplay and to getting gud in general. These are my few important mods that have some impact on my gameplay (they are all in the Aslain modpack). They give you important information and assist you in playing better.

1.1. XVM (VERY IMPORTANT)

You know what they always say, 'know your enemy'. XVM is vital in this regard, the intel provided helped me outplay countless players. With XVM, you will know what to do against the opponent if he's a baddie (just bait his shot), a decent player (slowly sidescrape) or an unicum (just gtfo, he's probably got his gold loaded). You can also predict the enemy movement based on their skill (baddie gonna camp, good players gonna relocate) and can act accordingly.

It also helps in coordinating and teamwork with your team. For example, when an enemy is being pressured/ flanked by a decent player, you know you can push said enemy expecting some teamwork. On the other hand, a baddie, after flanking and hopefully get a shot off, would probably cower in fear leaving you alone in your aggression.

Spoiler

1.2. Pogs' contour mod

I'm a player that strongly believes in number, info, etc. Pogs' gives me just that. All the info I need at a glance: Armor, alpha, reload, viewrange, etc.

Spoiler

1.3 Aslain's over-target-marker

Or an instant XVM check without refering to the player panel. With stock turret marker of course

Spoiler

1.4 Player panel

INFO INFO INFO! With advanced statistic table for tab key of course. We have HP, easily identifiable skill and also nationality (so that we can tell whether that green player is a Viet unicum-aka-haxor-aka-vpacker-in-disguise or not). Also enemy spotted marker so that we can easily tell if their enemy TD/MT is still camping or has been revealed or currently spotted.

Spoiler

1.5 Minimap

As many circles and lines as you can understand them, really. But if you don't this guide is probably not for you. Also HP circles.

Minimap zoom centered of course, making pinging the map much easier.

Alt mode shows player name colored by rating. WHERE DID THEM UNICUM GO?

Spoiler

Edited by KuroYukiOuji, 24 February 2016 - 09:00 PM.

KuroYukiOuji #2 Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

Major

• 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

1.6 Sixth sense image and sound

Make it more obvious. I barely notice the default 6th sense and definitely not in the heat of battle.

1.7 Camera

First of all, lower that sensitivity. It's a personal preference but I recommend lowering the 3rd-person view sens by 60% and the scoped sens by 80%. Make aiming easier. 

As much zoom in and zoom out as you can have (within the rules of our server of course)

Spoiler

1.8 Crosshair

I use Melty's, has that nifty armor thickness indicator.

Also these

Spoiler

1.9 Others

Spoiler

Edited by KuroYukiOuji, 13 March 2016 - 07:15 PM.

KuroYukiOuji #3 Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Major

• 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

2. Advices and experiences (WIP)

Did you read the guide I mentioned at the start? Either way, it's good to read it again, this time with some of my own opinion. I do not claim to know better, but I seem to be playing at a higher tier at the writer of the guide at the time of writing, so bear that in mind.

Spoiler

Some facts that you need to know:

World of Tanks, as any online game, is full of RNG. Even if you do one thing right and it does not work 99 times, 1 time that it works will reflect on your stat. So try your best to do EVERYTHING good that you should do, even if it doesn't work last game.

Spoiler

What I first did when I turned on my WoT client:

Set the sensitivities

Disable folliage in graphic settings

Increase my minimap size (til it touch the 15th player on the enemy team panel - on my large 27" 1080p monitor, on smaller monitor I believe it would be fine to sacrifice some of the player panel for a larger minimap)

Additional techniques:

• Prioritizing your opponent: Generally I decided my enemies into 4 groups: The bads (red-orange), the average (yellow-lt green), the good (dgreen-teal) and the great (blue-purple). The good and great opponents will be competing directly with you for your winrate. I prioritize my shots accordingly - In general I believe a shot to an average player is worth 1.2 time a shot to a baddie, good = 1.5 average, great = 1.5 good. So I always watch out for the most dangerous player and would rather shot them once than do a killing shot to a baddie or average. Remember killing a good/great player usually improve your winchance by 3~5 percent.

• Wiggling: This can be done with your turret or the whole tank and is particularly useful on a medium tank. Wiggling can be used to throw off enemies aiming at your weakspots. Tank wiggling is particularly useful when you are rushing toward an enemy for a killshot or something important and he's aiming at you, preparing to fire. I really can't tell how many rounds I have bounced with wiggling my FCM while rushing the enemy.

• Tricking and false information: When you are spotted in a position that is currently still relatively safe and you want to relocate, not yet. Just stay there for 10s until you are sure that you have been drop off the opponent's radar, then relocate. It can and will trick some opponent that you are still camping there waiting to strike, hampering their movement and options.

• General awareness: Zoom out, look around and look at the minimap every time you fire a shot (while you are driving back to a safe position, you shouldn't use your brain just to drive back to the position you poked out from - it's a no brainer; except when you are an autoloader of course). Even with a 6s reload you will have plenty of time to not be caught with your pants down.
Spoiler
  • If you don't have anything better to do, fire a shot regardless of how unlikely it is to hit. Again, WoT is a game of RNG and you just need to hit once to make a difference, however minuscule, to your stat. For example I'm moving from one cover to another when I'm spotted, and I spotted the enemy. I can't stop to shoot, so I just autoaim and fired. It sometimes hit and that is good enough.

(to be continued)

Edited by KuroYukiOuji, 26 February 2016 - 11:49 AM.

KuroYukiOuji #4 Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

Major

• 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

3. Replays/ Youtube videos

VK3001D sealclubbing in a tier 7 game - 12 minutes

Spoiler

Type 61 playmaker, Ace Tanker, 4125 assist, 4633 damage, 1410 raw exp - 7 minutes

http://wotreplays.com/site/2507689

Spoiler

Edited by KuroYukiOuji, 26 February 2016 - 12:44 PM.

crazib #5 Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

Captain

• 61225 battles
  • [LEM0N] LEM0N

View PostKuroYukiOuji, on 24 February 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

1. Mods and settings

Despite what the elitist mod-haters say, mod are an integral part to the game, to my gameplay and to getting gud in general. These are my few important mods that have some impact on my gameplay (they are all in the Aslain modpack). They give you important information and assist you in playing better.

You know what they always say, 'know your enemy'. XVM is vital in this regard, the intel provided helped me outplay countless players. With XVM, you will know what to do against the opponent if he's a baddie (just bait his shot), a decent player (slowly sidescrape) or an unicum (just gtfo, he's probably got his gold loaded). You can also predict the enemy movement based on their skill (baddie gonna camp, good players gonna relocate) and can act accordingly.

1.2. Pogs' contour mod

I'm a player that strongly believes in number, info, etc. Pogs' gives me just that. All the info I need at a glance: Armor, alpha, reload, viewrange, etc.

xvm is not that all important, red or purple all are my enemies, i got to purple stats without using xvm, its a clutter on your screen, the most important skill to have is to read what your team is doing on the 1st min of the game, that should be the deciding factor for your actions in game.

if i know that some1 is targeting me using xvm, i will gladly bait him to a disadvantageous position

and oh yeah tier 9s and 8s are great for farming wn8 w/o lowering your average tier but there are tanks that do it better then others because of their lower then expect average damage to get purple.

Edited by crazib, 24 February 2016 - 01:27 PM.

Come visit my stream: twitch.tv/crazib

my replays thread

KuroYukiOuji #6 Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

Major

• 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I
Again, xvm help with reading/predicting the game/players, which is vital in playing well and carrying, but I'm happy to agree to disagree

KuroYukiOuji #7 Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

Major

• 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I
If you don't use it or find it useless, of course it will be a clutter on your screen. But I play on a 1080p PC monitor so the side of the screen is not in my vision anyway.

crazib #8 Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

Captain

• 61225 battles
  • [LEM0N] LEM0N

View PostKuroYukiOuji, on 24 February 2016 - 05:40 AM, said:

Again, xvm help with reading/predicting the game/players, which is vital in playing well and carrying, but I'm happy to agree to disagree

and get overloaded with information?

the battlefield is already a overload of a information game, do not need unnecessary xvm mods to clutter it further

Come visit my stream: twitch.tv/crazib

my replays thread

KuroYukiOuji #9 Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

Major

• 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I
I don't get overloaded though. Tbh I find it much less stressful than DotA 2/Starcraft 2, which I usually take a break after every 45-min game. WoT is so chill and low in both micro- and macro-management I can play it non-stop. Guess it has to do with mental capacity.

Floating_Dream_0518 #10 Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Captain

• 87495 battles

Thank for your article. But I think XVM not important. With me when start battle see red in our team make you feel "I gonna lose this and it will be".

With me just care Mini map and look enemy team and ask myself. What this map? How many HT, MT, TD, SPG they have, and we have. What are they will do ? Final what i'm supose to do.

It just my opinion :) Have a good day.

ugottabekittenme #11 Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

First lieutenant

• 666 battles
  • [BLAZE] BLAZE

View Post2Voz, on 24 February 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

With me when start battle see red in our team make you feel "I gonna lose this and it will be".Final what i'm supose to do.

It just my opinion :) Have a good day.

Is that what the other players on the VN server felt when the account that you bought was being botted to the tier X tanks?

it just my opinion :) Have a good day.

+1 to the OP - some great tips there. It is surprising though the amount of additional mods that are available from the vanilla client

Edited by ugottabekittenme, 24 February 2016 - 02:36 PM.

_UsagiTsukino_ #12 Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

Make WoT Great Again

• 42167 battles
  • [RGZ] RGZ
Too many mods ...
IMO I would try use less mod if possible - improve your real skill 

3 MoE tanks: T110E5, IS7, T62A, Obj140, CAX, STB-1, M48 Patton, FV215b, Batchat25t, TVP 50/51, AMX 50B ...

My replays
My twitch

DedmanZero #13 Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

Sergeant

• 23047 battles
  • [NHOPE] NHOPE
at least you can disguise as a noob to surprise the enemy right :trollface:
Life isn't fair because PUCK YOU :B

MagicalFlyingFox #14 Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 35069 battles
  • [B4B0] B4B0

XVM is helpful but stressful. It isn't necessary however.

And your client is far too cluttered.

I'm happy with hitlogs, damage logs, spotted/not spotted, xvm circles (which are heading into main client) and Autoaim+.

The logs are unnecessary for me. I'm fine with vanilla too tbh, just means i need to be more watchful of minimap to determine whats lit or not.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

KuroYukiOuji #15 Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

Major

• 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I
I find that every mod I use is useful one way or another, so definitely not cluttered for me. Also 1080p 27' monitor. You are free to choose whatever mod you think is useful though.

Saffelicious #16 Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

Master flipper !

• Live Streamer
  • 37884 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY

View PostKuroYukiOuji, on 24 February 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

Hi guys, I have recently achieved purple on both my recent WN8 and WR. While this may not be impressive to some, it has been my goal since I got blue the start.

Spoiler

Feeling generous, I'd like to share some information which would help people to get better in general and get to purple in particular. The information is geared toward green/dark green, or in other words people who generally understand most game mechanics, know most weakspots, etc. This is not a specific padding guide, as I do not do things that people would normally considered padding such as

Spoiler

The first very comprehensive guide to 'git gud' can be found here. I did not know these things until recently, but I accumulated most of these over the course of my 12k games anyway.

When you've done reading that, let me stress a few important points:

1. Mods and settings

1.2. Pogs' contour mod

Spoiler

1.3 Aslain's over-target-marker

Or an instant XVM check without refering to the player panel. With stock turret marker of course

Spoiler

1.4 Player panel

INFO INFO INFO! With advanced statistic table for tab key of course. We have HP, easily identifiable skill and also nationality (so that we can tell whether that green player is a Viet unicum-aka-haxor-aka-vpacker-in-disguise or not). Also enemy spotted marker so that we can easily tell if their enemy TD/MT is still camping or has been revealed or currently spotted.

Spoiler

1.5 Minimap

As many circles and lines as you can understand them, really. But if you don't this guide is probably not for you. Also HP circles.

Minimap zoom centered of course, making pinging the map much easier.

Alt mode shows player name colored by rating. WHERE DID THEM UNICUM GO?

Spoiler

I stopped reading after"Despite what the elitist mod-haters say, mod are an integral part to the game,"

well done on starting of your "guide" by insults.

I guess all those elitist players are wrong hey? 

Edited by TE_Saffe, 24 February 2016 - 02:54 PM.

Pubbie 1
"You guys run around in t10 tanks with, prem consumables, prem rounds, prem crews and even prem modules and that is not fair on the newbies in t8, how do you expect the server to survive if this is what they get from your clan. Some of us want this server to survive."
Pubbie 2
"What's pathetic and un Australian is you and the other [edited] complaining about those here behind their backs on the other forum. What's pathetic is thinking you are better than others on forums and in the game and big noting yourself when blind Feddy can see your sudden improvement on purchasing vpack"

MagicalFlyingFox #17 Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 35069 battles
  • [B4B0] B4B0
I run a 27" and all it helps me with is BIG minimap.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

KuroYukiOuji #18 Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

Major

• 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I
True, BIG minimap until it touch the 15th player on the opposing team. Seriously.

KuroYukiOuji #19 Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

Major

• 18897 battles
  • [G-I] G-I
@Saffe(e?) This guide is mine so I suppose I could write whatever I believe in, limited by forum rules, T&C? So I can say that they are wrong and it's my belief, not some universal fact?

And I think there are different ways to understand 'integral' and 'game'.

__Krime__ #20 Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 24645 battles
  • [NHOPE] NHOPE
Lol, use only QB mod pack to know what kind of team and Battle assistance for sometime play arty for fun. That's all.

Got MM nerf, low roll nerf, accuracy nerf, madafaka tons of nerfs ... 

Well, i'm gonna rest few days, may be few months. 
Why ? Ask MM and RNG pls. MM is fair, RNG is fair. All my f*in team always is a  red carpet and enemy team is a rainbow with full colors. 

About red, i mean #ff0000. Yep.
Oh, and my shells gonna love Mother Earth so much. Aim higher ? Dear God, my shells wanna see heaven. Please help them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users