A Scrub's Thoughts & His Scrubby review on the T20 (with memes)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Proloser #1 Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

Major

• 20066 battles

Hi guys! 

Erm... so yeah. lol.

Anyway, I recently have got the T20 in my long grind to T10 in the US mediums line, so I thought I'd do a quick review kinda thing on it, for those looking at researching or even considering going up the US medium tree. If you guys like this one, I might write one for the M4A3E8 (out of order, I know, but lol why not xD).

Normally I'd wait till I have over 100 battles in a specific tank before writing a review, but I feel like I have gotten the hang of how this little thing plays, and this review is written at 75-ish battles. At this stage, I have a 69% win rate in the tank, and 2379 WN8. No doubt my WR will drop a bit after a couple hundred battles, but my WN8 on it is constantly increasing (was low at the start due to the stock grind).

I don't want to throw too many values in your face, so this will be a kind of minimal review, enough info to help you decide whether to grind for the tank, but not too much to overwhelm. I won't touch on things like crew skills, since that is down to personal preferences in general (and you may not be interested in using this tank as a keeper, and be training your crews for higher tiers).

I will break this post down into sections, and make them as short as possible for ease of reading :)

Contents:

1. Overview

2. Equipment and consumables loadout

3. Playstyle/How to play

4. Is it worth the grind?

5. Replays

1. Overview:

Just joking xDDDDDDD

The T20 is my favourite T7 tank I've played so far (with the Comet coming in close 2nd). It's mobile, has a 90mm gun that is completely underestimated, enough gun depression to troll most enemy tanks, absolutely 0 armour, and a pretty damn bad reload! You will get penned by anything equal and lower tier, although against some extremely low pen guns, or by some sheer luck, you *might* bounce something off your turret.

This tank has what I call an 'ignore' factor. It is so underestimated, you will find yourself in positions just farming damage off distracted enemies, because they are not expecting such a small tank to be so deadly and have such a large alpha (240 average damage per shot). 

When fully upgraded, you have 1100 HP, a 56kph speed limit on flat ground, and, as already stated, a 90mm gun (with 10 degrees of depression and 25 degrees of elevation), no armour to work with, and quite a long reload. All this together makes the tank play as a more supportive or mid-range-sniping medium.

According to this site, the T20 has the second highest stationary camo rating of all T7 mediums! This coupled with a 390 base view range means that you can do effective spotting for yourself (and others), and also out-play heavies and other tanks with bad view ranges in those end-battle scenarios (when it's just you vs them).

A quick blurb on the gun:

It has a RoF of 6.38 rounds a minute, 0.38 accuracy, 2.3 aiming time, 160/240/45 pen (AP, APCR, HE), and 240/240/320 average damage. This makes it perfect for mid-range sniping and second line supporting. I have managed to get my reload down to about 7.7 seconds with Vents, Rammer, and a 100% skilled crew (3 skills and the 4th at 50% now). 

The gun is a bit derpy at long range, and you'll find many of your shots either dropping short or shooting over the target. On the run accuracy is pretty bad, too. Wait till you're closer to the enemy if you're going to fire on the run, you don't want to have to wait 7 or more seconds to reload if you miss. 

2. Equipment and Consumables Loadout

lel, a bit corny now? Oh well :hiding:

For equipment, I personally run Vents, Gun Rammer, and Coated Optics. Normally I would put Vertical Stabilizers on a medium, but in this case, I wanted to play the tank to it's strengths (around 429m view range now). If Verts are more your thing, there's no harm in using them instead of the Coated Optics. This was just my personal preference this time - opinions may vary.

For consumables, I run a Small Repair KitSmall First Aid Kit, and Manual Fire Extinguisher. I've only been set on fire once in 72 games, so no need for an auto extinguisher, but you will get crew damage (not too bad though), and you certainly don't want to get tracked on the crest of a hill!

3. Playstyle/How to play

Yeah, don't drive it like that xD

Basically, the T20 is a second line support medium. As soon as you try to get into a brawling match, you are dead this is because you have no turret armour, so turret bounces will be rare (basically you're a small squishy target), and your DPM is quite low. 

Because of this, you let your stronk russian comrades go first, and simply support from somewhere that you have cover, with your punchy 240 alpha gun. Now, I do not mean camp at the back of the map the whole game. You should be out there, actively participating in the battle, but don't take it to the extent that you are on front-line. You simply won't survive or be effective if you do. 

I find the best way to do well in this tank is to constantly pop out, do some damage, relocate, and then find somewhere else to put a shot in. You don't want to draw attention to yourself, because you don't have the armour to bounce anything.

You have good gun depression (-10 degrees), so the use of ridge lines is incredibly important and you must get used to using any kind of terrain as cover. Since the tank is so small, you can just show your tiny turret, take a shot, and duck down again. It's such a small target, that enemies at a distance will have to aim to hit it (unless RNG decides otherwise).The tank is very low and small, so it's possible to hide behind smaller hills than usual, too. 

Try to get around to the sides or behind of enemies if possible, you won't do well in a face off due to no armour. 

The playstyle does not change depending on the tier you are in. Obviously you can be more aggressive when top tier (T7), but even when in tier 9, the tank works exactly the same way - you just have to be more cautious. 

When top tier, your great view range gives you a huge advantage (especially when playing against heavies). 

Make sure you are constantly assessing the situation, as you want to get out of there before things turn sour. Again, you have no armour to bounce anything so this is a very important part of succeeding in the T20 (and just about any tank, tbh). 

Make the enemy fight on your terms (e.g, on a crest of a hill). Don't give them the upper hand by placing yourself in a position that the tank does not perform well in (such as front-line fighting or brawling). It's more of a peek-a-boom tank. Don't try to out-dpm someone, because you probably won't be able to.

TL;DR:

Don't go frontline, don't draw attention to yourself, use ridge lines to abuse the gun depression, flank the enemy (don't face them frontally unless you absolutely have to), keep a constant eye on the situation (don't tunnel vision) so you can run before it's too late, and fight the enemy on your terms by placing the tank in positions that it can perform well in. 

wefajfeawfajefaweifoapjefadjfewoifjpqijfqoefjqoiefjqoieruqoirueqoiefjqifeojojfeok

WHY did you even ask? This thing is more than worth the grind. It's one of those tanks I have been turning to just for pure fun and stress free playing. I don't care if I win or lose in it, it's just plain awesome. 

Definitely worth a spot in your garage if you like the second line, careful play style. You can't charge people and circle of death them in it like Russian mediums, you have to know what you can and can't fight.

5. Replays

Here I will post some replays that showcase the T20's strengths. The first I have uploaded is a T9 game, with me being only 1 up from the bottom tank. In this game, I pulled off 2,570 damage and 2 kills. It wasn't an *amazing* game, but it definitely shows how the T20 can still be a beast in any tier!

Replay download

-------------------------------

Anyway, that just about sums up my quick thoughts/review poast. Let me know what you guys think (in a constructive way, of course). I listen to all feedback and suggestions, so please be honest about what you did or didn't like :)

If there is anything I have missed (which I probably have, I'm tired xd), let me know. 

I have a small replay of the tank performing in T9, I will update this review with it when it is uploaded :)

Edited by Proloser, 18 March 2016 - 10:08 PM.

Scrub Reviews (most with memes): T20, T26E4, T-34-3

Kind of Scrub Reviews (no memes 2lazy): T110E5

kek

spacewolf #2 Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 60807 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

Your review is quite well done. Use of memes abundant but not too intoxicating.

All in all quite a good read.

I am disappoint you didn't mention camo colours however.

And your recents have given me a full on robot chubby.

PuddingIsOnHigh #3 Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

Captain

• 6704 battles
  • [ANKOU] ANKOU
Do upload your replays , I been interested in this line for awhile and have the M4A3E8 Sherman for awhile . 

First of all T-44-100® aces .

WoT was enjoyable while it lasted .

Proloser #4 Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

Major

• 20066 battles

View Postspacewolf, on 18 March 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

Your review is quite well done. Use of memes abundant but not too intoxicating.

All in all quite a good read.

I am disappoint you didn't mention camo colours however.

And your recents have given me a full on robot chubby.

Thanks man! lol, what should I say about the camo, then? :D

And if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have recents like this ;)

View PostKanashimiHime, on 18 March 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

Do upload your replays , I been interested in this line for awhile and have the M4A3E8 Sherman for awhile . 

There ya are, 1 vid up. I'll get a few more uploaded asap!

Dunno why the colours are all washed out though. I probably have the wrong settings in Vegas. I threw it together in like 5 mins just to upload fast to get it in the review. I'll try to get the next vids in better quality.

Edited by Proloser, 18 March 2016 - 08:55 PM.

kek

spacewolf #5 Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 60807 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

Good replay - fantastic use of that ridge, and you showed great awareness in taking out those low hp tanks when they presented.

Proloser #6 Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Major

• 20066 battles

View Postspacewolf, on 18 March 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

Good replay - fantastic use of that ridge, and you showed great awareness in taking out those low hp tanks when they presented.

Thanks!

kek

Ivan_TheTerrible #7 Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

Staff sergeant

• 46279 battles
  • [SWA] SWA
vent over vertstab.i guess you dont snap quite often.i respect your opinion about your build ,how you running it.But have an opportunity to equip vertstab is privilege at tier 7 .Sometime the only difference meaning between previous tank and it successor is the successor can mount vertstab like cromwell and comet.

Оля Полякова - Russian Style 

Russian girl the most beautiful girl in the world :bajan:

Proloser #8 Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

Major

• 20066 battles

View PostIvan_TheTerrible, on 18 March 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

vent over vertstab.i guess you dont snap quite often.i respect your opinion about your build ,how you running it.But have an opportunity to equip vertstab is privilege at tier 7 .Sometime the only difference meaning between previous tank and it successor is the successor can mount vertstab like cromwell and comet.

Yeah, it's really down to how you play the tank and personal preference. I play the T20 as second line support, so I prefer optics over verts.

You're correct, the only tanks that I snapshot in are Russian ones. Otherwise it's a waste of ammo IMO (I don't even snapshot in the E8, and I put verts on that). 

kek

TE_Bohan #9 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:02 PM

Sergeant

• 28339 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO
Vert Stab>Vents significantly for every tank. If you really want to run vents then go rammer, vert stab, vents and food to max out view range AND get excellent gun characteristics. Otherwise, excellent review :great:.

Proloser #10 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

Major

• 20066 battles

View PostBohan, on 18 March 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

Vert Stab>Vents significantly for every tank. If you really want to run vents then go rammer, vert stab, vents and food to max out view range AND get excellent gun characteristics. Otherwise, excellent review :great:.

Thanks for the tips mate! I'll definitely keep the verts > vents in mind for my next tank or when I'm rich again (too broke to try anything else at the moment, lol). Again, what I posted was my personal choice and seems to work fine for me, but yeah, greatly appreciate the feedback! 

kek

Otakubouzu #11 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:24 PM

Major

• 13845 battles

Now you makes me want to re-buy it.

When i grind through this, i feel this tank kind of painful to play. Though now from your explanation i realized i am way too aggressive on this tank haha.

also:

View PostProloser, on 18 March 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

wefajfeawfajefaweifoapjefadjfewoifjpqijfqoefjqoiefjqoieruqoirueqoiefjqifeojojfeok

but OF COURSE. Even if one don't enjoy playing second line, next tanks after T20, Pershing and M46 Patton, are a great fun.

jessica_raven #12 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

Captain

• 14970 battles
  • [ADA] ADA
Quite out of topic here, sry. If vstab are for snapshot advantage, should I remove vstab from e75 and replace it with spall liner or gun lyg drive? I almost never snapshot in it. But still put it because most ppl said its the better option.

Me in Wot

2014-"wut is this, oh, it can shoot"

2015-"**** arty"

2016-"How to win more?"

2017-"DEUS VULT!!" *press R 3 times*

Proloser #13 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:27 PM

Major

• 20066 battles

View PostOtakubouzu, on 18 March 2016 - 10:24 PM, said:

Now you makes me want to re-buy it.

When i grind through this, i feel this tank kind of painful to play. Though now from your explanation i realized i am way too aggressive on this tank haha.

also:

but OF COURSE. Even if one don't enjoy playing second line, next tanks after T20, Pershing and M46 Patton, are a great fun.

Haha, well you should buy it back. It's a fantastic tank :)

And yes, so I've heard. Really looking forward to all of them, T8 to T10! This is actually the most fun grind I've done in ages, tbh. All the tanks look great.

kek

Proloser #14 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:28 PM

Major

• 20066 battles

View Postjessica_raven, on 18 March 2016 - 10:26 PM, said:

Quite out of topic here, sry. If vstab are for snapshot advantage, should I remove vstab from e75 and replace it with spall liner or gun lyg drive? I almost never snapshot in it. But still put it because most ppl said its the better option.

Vstabs also help your aim time if you come to a stop after moving, since your bloom is smaller when in motion. It's really up to you... I've never played the E75 so I can't really give you any advice on that, sorry. Maybe someone else can help!

Edited by Proloser, 18 March 2016 - 10:29 PM.

kek

TE_Bohan #15 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:36 PM

Sergeant

• 28339 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO
Basically vert stabs and rammer are equipment that is 100% necessary if you can mount them. Third choice you can generally pick vents or optics depending on the tank and your playstyle. GLD can be used on a very small number of tanks for the third slot, or if the tank can't mount vert stabs. Don't bother with spall liner, it wouldn't make a notable difference.

jessica_raven #16 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:43 PM

Captain

• 14970 battles
  • [ADA] ADA

View PostProloser, on 18 March 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

Vstabs also help your aim time if you come to a stop after moving, since your bloom is smaller when in motion. It's really up to you... I've never played the E75 so I can't really give you any advice on that, sorry. Maybe someone else can help!

Well, vstab and gun lyg drive sound pretty badass combo. Smaller bloom on move, faster shrink when stop to aim, gonna try this :great:.

Me in Wot

2014-"wut is this, oh, it can shoot"

2015-"**** arty"

2016-"How to win more?"

2017-"DEUS VULT!!" *press R 3 times*

_EzioAuditore_ #17 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:49 PM

Major

• 50573 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN
not a bad review i say... and much memes :trollface:

T55A Get! 255/300 done with honors!  56/75 obj 260 missions done! :^)

3 mark: 1390 2 mark: is-7, t62a, batchat 25t, vkd, pzivh, mutz, spic, is-3 (don't really care about marks)

Helljumper, Helljumper, where you been? Feet first into hell and back again! When I die please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear!
Just pack my box with PT gear! Cuz one early morning 'bout zero-five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky!
Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!

http://cdn-frm-sg.wa...-1407289026.gif

KuroYukiOuji #18 Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 15273 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

View PostBohan, on 18 March 2016 - 09:36 PM, said:

Basically vert stabs and rammer are equipment that is 100% necessary if you can mount them. Third choice you can generally pick vents or optics depending on the tank and your playstyle. GLD can be used on a very small number of tanks for the third slot, or if the tank can't mount vert stabs. Don't bother with spall liner, it wouldn't make a notable difference.

Vert Stab, yes.

Rammer, not really.

Even if you could mount a rammer on a BatChat, I definitely would not. I also don't mount rammer on my hit-and-run Leo PTA/ Leo 1. Or a 34-3.

http://wotlabs.net/a...hinking-rammer/

Nimish_ #19 Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:47 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 38312 battles

Just unlocked my T20, looking forward to playing it. I would use Vertical Stabilizer on every tank that can mount it but then again I am a scrub..... 

+1 for review.

Spoiler

TE_Bohan #20 Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Sergeant

• 28339 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

View PostKuroYukiOuji, on 19 March 2016 - 01:24 AM, said:

Vert Stab, yes.

Rammer, not really.

Even if you could mount a rammer on a BatChat, I definitely would not. I also don't mount rammer on my hit-and-run Leo PTA/ Leo 1. Or a 34-3.

http://wotlabs.net/a...hinking-rammer/

Although the concept that effective dpm > raw dpm is valid for some tanks, I would never advise most players in WOT to drop a rammer for GLD or vents. Why? Because they already have problems managing exposure, being out dpmed will further add to their woes in any mid-close range combat. I also disagree with the article's statement that 'If you're the type that sits in the back, a rammer will be more important for you'. If you are sitting at the back, how many times do you get to fire at targets in the open for extended periods of time? Just by virtue of the distance between you and the enemy, they have the option to back into cover a lot of the time, and you can no longer use your dpm. 

I am hyper aggressive in playstyle, most likely one of the most aggressive above 2k recent, and will never drop a rammer for anything since I will always be needing/abusing the dpm on the front line. As I've stated before, if you need good gun handling on top of dpm, then run food, which does wonders for dpg. In the past two days, I have three marked my T54 and E100 by switching over to food for the last 3%. Mileage may vary for other very skilled players ofc, and some playstyles may find a rammer to not be a necessity in some tanks. But such players constitute 0.1% of the playing population, everyone else imo should always run a rammer if their tank allows it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users