Tanking /w Science! The 6th Sense

6th Sense

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

4TankersAndDog #1 Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:51 PM

First lieutenant

• 109 battles

How exactly does the commander's 6th Sense perk work, and what timings do you need to keep in mind to maximize your ability to avoid detection and incoming fire?  

Let's take a look at the most valuable crew skill in World of Tanks... 

Time from when you do something to get lit (firing from soft cover), and the enemy tank seeing you:

1/4th of a second.

Time from when the enemy tanks can see you, to when your commander's 6th Sense skill activates:

3 seconds.

Time from 6th Sense activation, to when you go dark to the enemy tanks (assuming only a brief illumination event, like firing from soft cover):

8 seconds.

Combine those two for the full time from being fully lit to fully dark:

11 seconds.

And since now with WoT 9.16 you can set a user configurable .mp3 file for the 6th Sense sound, I then carefully crafted some 8 second long .mp3 files, here's links for fun:

Rudy & Trek = https://clyp.it/cl11w2bj
Dexter & Trek = https://clyp.it/snki3noa
Pure Trek! = https://clyp.it/i32klxjm

Got your own 6th Sense meme idea you want built into an 8s .mp3 file?  Post it below and I'll make a few more...

[Previous episodes of TwS]

Snapshot & Smooth Ride

Crew Retraining

MM, Tiers and 'Toons

Purple vs. Gold

REPAIR

Win the Hill win the Game

Spall Liners, Ctrl Impact, and Ramming

Camo (concealment)

Fuel, O.R., and Clutch Braking

Deadeye & Designated Target

GLD vs. Vents

GLD vs. VStab

Any suggestions for a future version of Tanking /w Science?  Please post them below or in the video comments, Good Hunting and Carry Hard my friends.

Edited by 4TankersAndDog, 03 November 2016 - 07:21 AM.

How to become a somewhat-less-tomato Tanker:                       

Live Stream (Every Thursday, 'Tooning /w Tankers!)        -     Map Guides (where the heck do I go on this map?)

Scout Guides (how can I be useful with a little scout tank?)    -     Ace Tanker Library (how do I play this stupid tank?)    

Tanking /w Science (is VSTAB always better than a GLD?)     -     Sweet SWAG Store (All your favorite 4T&D gear is right here!)

]                                                   [

Matt_B #2 Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:34 PM

Staff sergeant

• 24444 battles

That's a great video, as ever.

I'm just wondering if a 10 second clip might make some sense, as you'd then know that you were safe again even if the spotter had the designated target perk. That said, you can never be entirely sure how long you were spotted for, particularly if it was by a tank that's invisible to you, so ducking back into cover and only then counting to 10 (or 8) seems necessary if you totally want to be on the safe side.

Ezz #3 Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 78150 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostMatt_B, on 31 October 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

you can never be entirely sure how long you were spotted for

Can't be stressed enough and often catches people out. The timer to 'dark' starts when you've broken vision. Have seen many a scout think they were being sneaky on prok, not realising they were lit the whole time, peak up to resume their spotting bush, and then evaporate.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Matt_B #4 Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

Staff sergeant

• 24444 battles

View PostEzz, on 31 October 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Can't be stressed enough and often catches people out. The timer to 'dark' starts when you've broken vision. Have seen many a scout think they were being sneaky on prok, not realising they were lit the whole time, peak up to resume their spotting bush, and then evaporate.

Yeah, I've been there and done that often enough. I've sometimes been the lucky SPG driver who's been the beneficiary too.

4TankersAndDog #5 Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:52 AM

First lieutenant

• 109 battles

Designated Target (and Call for Vengeance) are such rare skills I wouldn't want to waste 2 seconds as a routine thing...

Also a little more testing:

Live Stream (Every Thursday, 'Tooning /w Tankers!)        -     Map Guides (where the heck do I go on this map?)

Scout Guides (how can I be useful with a little scout tank?)    -     Ace Tanker Library (how do I play this stupid tank?)    

Tanking /w Science (is VSTAB always better than a GLD?)     -     Sweet SWAG Store (All your favorite 4T&D gear is right here!)

Matt_B #6 Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

Staff sergeant

• 24444 battles

Call for Vengeance is certainly very rare, but Designated Target can be quite popular on certain tanks. I know if I was spotted by a tier 8 light, or a tier 9/10 medium at the scouty end of the spectrum, I'd think there's a significant chance they'd have it; the numbers on VBaddict seem to back that up with figures of around 2-5% of crew, meaning 8-20% of gunners. It also comes highly recommended if you're chasing LT-15, so even some lower tier lights might have it; I took it as the second skill on my French Lights after Concealment for that very reason.

That said, what I was thinking of was that you'd have the eight second warning, followed by a first all clear, then two seconds of silence and a second all clear. You can then decide, depending on the situation, which one applies. Or, if you think you've been spotted continuously, to ignore both of them and keep trying to hide.

Ezz #7 Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:43 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 78150 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

A quick question for 4tankers... but from what i gather the 'time to dark' has a bit of randomness built in. Ie it's usually about 11 seconds but sometimes above or below this. But as to the application of this, say two tanks light each other, and break contact at the same time, have you done any testing as to when both tanks go dark? Ie if it is 10.5s for one, do we know if the other will also be 10.5s? And hence, would it be safe to use that as a starting point to determine when you're also dark*?

*assuming no other spotters or one tank having vision while the other not.

Edited by Ezz, 12 December 2016 - 05:44 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

MatchyHK #8 Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:26 AM

Corporal

• Live Streamer
  • 26279 battles
  • [LIHKG] LIHKG

View PostEzz, on 12 December 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

A quick question for 4tankers... but from what i gather the 'time to dark' has a bit of randomness built in. Ie it's usually about 11 seconds but sometimes above or below this. But as to the application of this, say two tanks light each other, and break contact at the same time, have you done any testing as to when both tanks go dark? Ie if it is 10.5s for one, do we know if the other will also be 10.5s? And hence, would it be safe to use that as a starting point to determine when you're also dark*?

*assuming no other spotters or one tank having vision while the other not.

The "go dark" time depends on your camo skills and the camo rating of the tank. In theory, the better your crew is trained with camo skills, the sooner you break contact as your camo skills helps to "regenerate" the camo rating up faster.

WoT Asia Community Contributor (HK/TW Region)

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/matchyhk | Youtube | Facebook

Ezz #9 Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 78150 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostMatchyHK, on 12 December 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

The "go dark" time depends on your camo skills and the camo rating of the tank. In theory, the better your crew is trained with camo skills, the sooner you break contact as your camo skills helps to "regenerate" the camo rating up faster.

The test above indicates camo does not impact go dark time. Well unless that tog has similar camo to the other test subjects... ;)

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #10 Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:07 AM

Major

• 10950 battles

Food doesn't effect the Activation time of 6th sense does it?

If it does then it''l also effect Call for Vengeance leaving you lit for longer, right?

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

devengod #11 Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

Private

• 4166 battles
I picked the Rudy & Trek sound and it's working like a charm. Thank you man :trollface::teethhappy:

4TankersAndDog #12 Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

First lieutenant

• 109 battles

Food (and crew skill percentage in general) helps "Skills" but not "Perks".  Skills are crew bonuses that increase by percentage, like camo and repair, aiming and reloading, etc.  Perks are crew bonuses that only work once 100% trained, like 6th Sense, Safe Stowage, Deadeye, Designated Target, Call for Vengeance, etc.

neokai #13 Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

hunts pixels from red line

• 41355 battles

Pinning this thread as critical reading for forumers.

~neokai

Spoiler

Mush99 #14 Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:18 AM

Corporal

• 36328 battles
  • [OCD] OCD
Thanks for that mate.....it works well.
efWHVHp.png

FallenAngeldestroyer #15 Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Private

• 190 battles
Nice!!