SPG is sometimes too OP - pls change mechanics

spg op op spg

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think SPGs need changes? (73 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 20 battle in order to participate this poll.

Does SPGs make WoT more addictive?

1. No. SPGs frustrates both tanks and SPG players (38 votes [52.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.05%

2. Yes. SPGs balances WoT (35 votes [47.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.95%

What do you think SPGs should be like?

1. Slow reload snipers at long range (22 votes [30.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.14%

2. Guns with good firepower but bad accuracy (29 votes [39.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.73%

3. Mortars to shoot over houses and mountains (22 votes [30.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.14%

What part of SPG needs to be changed

1. Damage (25 votes [17.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.99%

2. Blast radius (32 votes [23.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.02%

3. Accuracy (41 votes [29.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.50%

4. Ammunition (17 votes [12.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.23%

5. Gun elevation(ability to shoot over mountains) (24 votes [17.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.27%

Vote Hide poll

mig31foxhound #21 Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

Frenchie of RTA2

• Beta-Tester
  • 20593 battles

The replay explain itself about how the current arty performs

http://wotreplays.co...31foxhound-su-8

Seriously, WG. If you're going to come up with this idea, please, don't slam that mega SPG nerf in the first place because SPG is now monstrous again in different way.

Don't mind me, I'm just a green tomato.

I'm just a Derp Apprentice of The Derp Side.

Come to the Derp Side...

Mem84 #22 Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

Corporal

• 15911 battles
  • [AAS] AAS

There is a whole lot of boohooo Heavy tank players. I will admit I am relatively new comparing to a lot of players on here, but in all honesty have any of you played much arty? 9.17 arty was not that accurate and if a "smart" player hid on inclines or slopes and actually rocked around they were bloody hard to hit. 9.18 on the other hand I dont even try to hit them, I aim for where i know I will stun them and then have 3 team mate medium/HT's roll over the top of them whilst they have a 15 second stun. As for the damages in  my arty, I would more often than not score 2k+ damage in 9.17, whereas now I am doing around 1k a game and barely making costs on a victory that we are very much the major impact-er of the game. This is all done with non-premium rounds as even if you win and score a hit on every shot you cant resupply without costing you half the price of your tank again. I agree that tanks such as the FV304 needed a decrease in ROF as a heavy has no hope of repairing the track before the next shell hits. But most of the arties are 25 seconds plus on reload and that is more than sufficient for a HT to make an escape to cover, yes the first shell would of sucked but there would of been no follow up shots if you were clever about it.

Honestly I am not a fan of what they have done to arty as it has removed a lot of the skill of playing arty. But I dont see them changing it.

Ezz #23 Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Not sure how it's lowered skill, in fact I would have said it rewards it more now due to the reduction of RNG. But yes, the economy of this and a few of the new lights is as broken as we'd expect from WG.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Mem84 #24 Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

Corporal

• 15911 battles
  • [AAS] AAS

View PostEzz, on 10 May 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

Not sure how it's lowered skill, in fact I would have said it rewards it more now due to the reduction of RNG. But yes, the economy of this and a few of the new lights is as broken as we'd expect from WG.

Look I am happy to admit that I am only a noob. But I have a lot of the time gone..... Fark it and shot at 3 HT's knowing all I am going to do is stun them so my team can roll them, it kind of takes away from even trying to aim. I only have to hit "somehwere" near them and they are gonna get rolled if the team do their part. The latter is the biggest gamble with missing, but with not scoring any higher damage than say 280hp with an M53, it really is the only method(if I dont have clear shots)

Ezz #25 Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Yeah it's an interesting issue, the aiming mechanic certainly rewards those who know what they're doing with more hits, however as you note, that translates into relatively minimal damage. For mine arty was broken before and is broken now, but just in a different way.

Edited by Ezz, 10 May 2017 - 07:48 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

_DiscoStu_ #26 Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

First lieutenant

• 29044 battles
  • [-WB-] -WB-

I don't think arty is necessarily OP... but it's very frustrating and as Ezz said... still broken just in a different way... it's no longer the one shots you need to worry about... it's the constant stunning and inability to have an impact on the game... the end results are pretty much the same... just a different method of achieving it.

I've never heard anyone complain about arty not being in a game... and it's always the first thing I look for when loading into a game... especially if I am in a HT because it changes your game play... which isn't such a bad thing in some ways... but it takes away the dynamic aspect of the game... it takes away a bit of the "fun" aspect of the game and makes the game a bit more static...

I'm a much better player than I actually am... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChby0l_z0Lv_S0zLepFQ5sA

Mem84 #27 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

Corporal

• 15911 battles
  • [AAS] AAS

View Post_DiscoStu_, on 10 May 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

I don't think arty is necessarily OP... but it's very frustrating and as Ezz said... still broken just in a different way... it's no longer the one shots you need to worry about... it's the constant stunning and inability to have an impact on the game... the end results are pretty much the same... just a different method of achieving it.

I've never heard anyone complain about arty not being in a game... and it's always the first thing I look for when loading into a game... especially if I am in a HT because it changes your game play... which isn't such a bad thing in some ways... but it takes away the dynamic aspect of the game... it takes away a bit of the "fun" aspect of the game and makes the game a bit more static...

Every game I see where there is no arty all the HT's celebrate. Way hey people i can play like a knob and not be punished by the arty! You should be punished for stupid play. SO many heavys stop and fire at that single LT that is running down the guts and the artys are all pre-aimed awaiting for this stupidity. If you get caught in the open, it is not the artys fault. Same said for HT's traversing open fields trying to "rush". Stupidity should be punished. I'm not sure 3 direct hits on a heavy tank should be total annihilation. But to not even cause 30% loss of their health is ridiculous. My high rolls in my arty at tier 9 are around 280, most of the time its around the 150-200hp. Not a lot of damage for the mid 20 second reloads we are holding out for. Oh and the damage to a VK100, 50-90hp. That is a lot of shots required to take that tank down. In reality a shell the size of what we would be shooting would be a lot more effective.

_DiscoStu_ #28 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

First lieutenant

• 29044 battles
  • [-WB-] -WB-

View PostMem84, on 10 May 2017 - 02:01 AM, said:

Every game I see where there is no arty all the HT's celebrate. Way hey people i can play like a knob and not be punished by the arty! You should be punished for stupid play. SO many heavys stop and fire at that single LT that is running down the guts and the artys are all pre-aimed awaiting for this stupidity. If you get caught in the open, it is not the artys fault. Same said for HT's traversing open fields trying to "rush". Stupidity should be punished. I'm not sure 3 direct hits on a heavy tank should be total annihilation. But to not even cause 30% loss of their health is ridiculous. My high rolls in my arty at tier 9 are around 280, most of the time its around the 150-200hp. Not a lot of damage for the mid 20 second reloads we are holding out for. Oh and the damage to a VK100, 50-90hp. That is a lot of shots required to take that tank down. In reality a shell the size of what we would be shooting would be a lot more effective.

Ok... somehow you got dynamic game play to mean stupid game play... hmmm... if you play like an idiot and rush out in the open or stop to shoot the first red tank that pops up then you deserved to get rekt no matter if there is arty or not... and I enjoy farming the damage that comes along with that sort of game play as much as anyone... so yes, you should be punished for stupid play... doesn't change the fact that most of the population would be happy if arty disappeared from the game all together...

I'm a much better player than I actually am... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChby0l_z0Lv_S0zLepFQ5sA

mig31foxhound #29 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

Frenchie of RTA2

• Beta-Tester
  • 20593 battles
Now I know how to play Japanese Heavies. I'm gonna snipe in it every game that arty presented until I have Type 5 and I'm gonna keep sniping until the arty were fixed or better removed.

CONGRATZ WG, YOU MADE ME WHO NORMALLY DON'T HATE ARTY BUT NOW I DO.

Edited by mig31foxhound, 10 May 2017 - 09:04 PM.

Don't mind me, I'm just a green tomato.

I'm just a Derp Apprentice of The Derp Side.

Come to the Derp Side...

H_87A_2CU #30 Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 34786 battles
  • [PANZA] PANZA

View PostEzz, on 09 May 2017 - 11:47 PM, said:

Yeah it's an interesting issue, the aiming mechanic certainly rewards those who know what they're doing with more hits, however as you note, that translates into relatively minimal damage. For mine arty was broken before and is broken now, but just in a different way.

This just about cover it. Arty is broken in a number of ways now, from both the Arty players view and the tankers view.

Arty players point of view: Economy broken, Zero damage stuns, Plunging arty shells that bounce, Direct hit on a heavy tank for zero damage, reliant on your team to get stun damage and Friendly tanks position due to stun distance.

Tank players point of view - Constant stunning, limited cover from stunning and change of targeting meta (LT/MT are priority 1 as arty can actually damage them).

WG have tried to fix, but alas their fix has done more damage than good. I suggest next will be the removal of Arty, then watch the tears of joy by those who just want arty removed, until the Super Heavies or TD's start doing well, then the tears will return and they will be the next things nerfed into the ground to please.

H

Edited by H_87A_2CU, 20 May 2017 - 02:08 PM.

Barathe0n #31 Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

Corporal

• 47946 battles
  • [FLITE] FLITE
Just honest thought, i really miss spg before 9.18. You just remove a jackpot factor on a game WG (spg with ability 1 shoot kill) cause ammoracked aren't too special. I miss blind counter battery, i miss 1 shoot killed a king tiger with my S-51 and VICE VERSA. I dont understand why majority of WOT players hates spg since WG changed SPG made after hearing lots of players suggestion. Just fix match making so each team has 1v1, 2v2 so on spgs then leave the rest to RNG p.s. Nice touch on 9.18 consumables system though

killedbynoob #32 Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

Official Noob

• 21929 battles
  • [JOHOR] JOHOR
just remove the arty end all issue

(●_●---------)<

I'm just a fish

What u expect?

killedbynoob #33 Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Official Noob

• 21929 battles
  • [JOHOR] JOHOR

then TD is too OP the camo make them invisible REMOVE THEM
then MT is too OP it got speed and damage REMOVE THEM

then LT is too OP it got speed and camo remain while moving REMOVE THEM

then HT is too OP the armor make them invincible REMOVE THEM

(●_●---------)<

I'm just a fish

What u expect?

Gordo_G #34 Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Corporal

• 43297 battles
  • [_RB_] _RB_

I suspect most of those complaining have never actually played with SPGs, just as I suspect most of them have never looked at the vehicles on the enemy side to see which, if any SPGs they have and, lastly, I suspect that those most vocal in their complaints are the idiots who cluster together and just stop in the open when spotted. I've been playing a fair bit of GW E100 games (tier 10 German SPG) and it is incredible how even 'experienced' players will cluster together when they should KNOW that makes them prime SPG fodder - I've seen up to 8 tier 10 tanks bunching up within a theoretical splash damage area and the only thing that is saving most of them is the patheticly flat trajectory* of the German SPG that makes it difficult to hit them behind anything bigger than a mole hill (look it up) which, with the 2-4 second delay between firing and hitting, gives them a good period to move away... although the terrible accuracy can still mean they get hit or stunned.

Some of you have been complaining about being killed by SPGs, even 1 hit killed - you should be remembering that the average amrmoured vehicle has very light top armour and most SPG rounds do a lot of damage, so it is perfectly reasonable for a round to badly damage, or kill, if receiving a direct hit.

With suitable perks and equipment, my GW still has over a 30 second reload which severely restricts it's effectiveness but it is supremely satisfying to figure out where a moving tank is going to be in 2 or 3 seconds and allow just the right lead to hit it.

Some of you have been complaining about splash damage, this is almost entirely limited to tracking, which is fair enough, and something you should be able to deal with, just as if it were one of the other class vehicles.

As for the "stun" aspect recently added, with a reduction in the damage and ammunition options and effectiveness, I was initially rather less than pleased but it has added another dimension to the game that is fair enough - IRL a close explosion would rattle/stun a crew and it doesn't stop them from doing their job but just slows them down and a med' pack cures that, anyway.

On splash damage, I would remind you that that means you can be stunned and damaged even if you think you are behind cover and some SPGs, not mine unfortunately, have a high trajectory that allows them to get close to vehicles that aren't behind suitable cover. If I can'drop a round close behind the cover, I can usually get a round close enough alongside/behend the cover to do damage.

*Doesn'tneed much, just a degree or two - lower muzzle velocity modelling - would make all the difference...

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #35 Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

Major

• 10950 battles

I've mentioned it Time and again, but BIGGER Maps would fix a multitude of problems.

Bigger Maps would.........

1.  Reduce the effective Range of Arty.  Forcing SPG's to have to Move to maintain coverage.  (Conversly they no longer Limit Tank Movement)

2.  Increased Tactical options, by not being limited to 3 skinny lanes of engagment.

3.  Snipers are limited in their coverage, allowing greater Tactical movement of Tanks without being pinned down.

4.  FRESH MAPS mean FRESH game play, and NOT the Same old crap over and over again

5.  It ACTUALLY gives the MAP department something to do other than HDing Mini Maps and current Flawed Maps.

6.  Could allow for MULTIPLE objectives or Capture points per Map.

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

Gani_GANz #36 Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

First lieutenant

• 15430 battles
bring back penetrating rounds

3 Marks : T29, T-34

2 Marks : T34, Comet, T-54, STA-1, VK100.01P

Ezz #37 Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostGani_GANz, on 12 September 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

bring back penetrating rounds

But make them only effective vs friendlies.

BenXY #38 Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

Corporal

• 30441 battles
  • [THS9] THS9
This topic thread should be reviewed again by all members.

KC

Dragonere #39 Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:47 AM

Corporal

• 5386 battles
  • [CIRC] CIRC

Self Propelled Guns 

They are the most annoying things in existence, they shouldn't be actual players what is suggest is 

*REMOVE ALL ARTILLERY

*Then switch them out for a system that allows players to call in arty strikes 

*Have a destructible object in the base of the players ( Or an arty AI that shoots at tanks that people request fire upon)

OR

DE-BUFF THEM SO THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER PLAYABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir_Direkin #40 Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:51 AM

Purveyor of Salt

• 12127 battles
  • [VERTX] VERTX

View PostDragonere, on 19 November 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

They are the most annoying things in existence, they shouldn't be actual players

I say the same about players with a sub-46% win rate.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: A15 Crusader, AMX 12t, KV-85, M6 Heavy, M10 Wolverine, M24 Chaffee, SU-85, T-34, T-50, T1 Heavy, VK 16.02 Leopard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users