Serious Server Lag since 9.17.1

9.17.1 lag server rubbish server

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Pete_C #1 Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

Corporal

• 15967 battles
  • [SAS1] SAS1

Ever since the new update I am getting what I believe to be serious server lag, my ping is rock solid at 95-110 but my tank will go unresponsive and my reticle will not follow my gun at all!

This is very frustrating and it has resulted in my tank getting destroyed on numerous occasions because when I go to stop pushing forward and go back,(or turn) the tank just keeps going! Then when exchanging rounds with the enemy the reticle will not follow my sight or barrel and of course I get killed because I cant shoot the enemy!

This is happening to numerous players that I toon with and/or have chatted to in game.

What is going on with this update?

Edited by Pete_C, 09 March 2017 - 08:10 AM.

wasaabi #2 Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

This Dude Abides

• Senior Moderator
  • 19689 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Lag and ping are not the same thing. Ping reflects the time it takes for a packet to reach the destination and return and is otherwise known as latency. 

Lag is otherwise known as packet loss and is typically caused by busy network nodes discarding packets due to overload. Packets are discarded in order of priority and priority is based on the agreements between your ISP and the carrier for the segments your traffic needs to flow on. 

The net effect is if your ISP is paying the lowest rates then it is likely your packets will have the lowest priority and therefore be most likely to be affected by congestion the links between you and WG. 

While the server has lag from time to time, it is most likely the network between you and WG that has the most effect on your experience.  

The Dude abides.

Spoiler

Strodecas #3 Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

Corporal

• 744 battles

View Postwasaabi, on 09 March 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

Lag and ping are not the same thing. Ping reflects the time it takes for a packet to reach the destination and return and is otherwise known as latency. 

Lag is otherwise known as packet loss and is typically caused by busy network nodes discarding packets due to overload. Packets are discarded in order of priority and priority is based on the agreements between your ISP and the carrier for the segments your traffic needs to flow on. 

The net effect is if your ISP is paying the lowest rates then it is likely your packets will have the lowest priority and therefore be most likely to be affected by congestion the links between you and WG. 

While the server has lag from time to time, it is most likely the network between you and WG that has the most effect on your experience.  

This is an eye opener for me as a person who doesn't really know about internet connection. :unsure:

Pete_C #4 Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Corporal

• 15967 battles
  • [SAS1] SAS1
Thanks for explaining the differences, I honestly didn't know that.

It still doesn't explain how myself and lots of other users are having this problem ever since the updates and never experienced it before.

iDd_Sloth #5 Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

First lieutenant

• 24027 battles
  • [ANKOU] ANKOU

Connection is stable since patch 9.17.1

It's most likely with your ISP/country and to WG servers.

When an enemy Arty "one shots" 2 of your teams' heavies and you're in a heavy tank, you know you're screwed.

A heavy tank should have armor and a big gun, if you don't have either then you're not.

wasaabi #6 Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

This Dude Abides

• Senior Moderator
  • 19689 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostPete_C, on 09 March 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

Thanks for explaining the differences, I honestly didn't know that.

It still doesn't explain how myself and lots of other users are having this problem ever since the updates and never experienced it before.

The internet is like a living organism with traffic patterns changing all the time.  Think of the patch release as a point in time that gets your focus, but since then traffic may have changed for any reason and increased congestion is not a result of the patch release.   An example (not necessarily related to this) is the effect of Netflix users on the whole internet capacity with increases and decreases substantially depending on time of day in each city, which can then effect many users not related to each other in terms of use of the internet.

Your local connection may be as low latency as you like and your internet router the best your money can buy, but the fact that your network traffic to Singapore may involve over 12 hops, each of which is a network device, and involve 3 or 4 different carriers, with thousands of users per second intersecting with your traffic and you can see how random events may affect your particular traffic flow even over an extended period of time.

The Dude abides.

Spoiler

Pete_C #7 Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

Corporal

• 15967 battles
  • [SAS1] SAS1

NBN is coming my way soon, hopefully it sorts this out although I've had no issues these last few days.

Thanks Wasaabi for explaining the technical stuff

Quasinerdo #8 Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 15713 battles

Lag is a lay term often used to describe an increase in latency. Latency is "ping". Ping is simply the term used to describe the action of "pinging a target" which is the action of determining the time it takes for your signal to reach there.

I.e. "i'm lagging" ..... is the same as "I am experiencing high latency" and the same as "I am experiencing a high Ping".

Lag can be due to a change in routing (the path to a server from your client), a slowdown or congestion in the routing nodes, or a slowdown / congestion in the server itself.

Packet loss is an ENTIRELY different beast. It may contribute to a sense of "higher lag" because data needs to be resent. Depending on the type of data traffic it may present to you as a change in your activity on your computer..... eg in a game you experience jitter or stutter, ghost rounds etc. In video it may result in break-up or caching. Non-streaming data will likely just appear "slow".

Packet loss may be due to a hardware fault in your connection as well.

EDIT: do not assume confirmation bias. Consider it but continue to test your theory of an issue being present. Routing and traffic management is a very precise and controlled action. As wassabi states there are a lot of variables - and some of those may change .... but it's not like you garden growing freely. It is a controlled system.

Edited by Quasinerdo, 14 March 2017 - 09:13 AM.

KraftLawrence - "Don’t be that guy camping and doing nothing while your team dies on another flank – then farm 3k damage and complain your team sucks. That guy is the worst."

FrostyReception #9 Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Corporal

• 1970 battles
  • [PERTH] PERTH

View PostPete_C, on 14 March 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:

NBN is coming my way soon, hopefully it sorts this out although I've had no issues these last few days.

Thanks Wasaabi for explaining the technical stuff

I've got NBN and I've still had to suffer through this for the last 4 days.  On a positive note, with NBN I can play on NA east now with 280 ping but stable connection.

Also tagged with 9.17.1, lag, server, rubbish server

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users