Video Game Addiction, coping and dealing with it.

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

FeeTFooD #1 Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 26414 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

POPULAR

Hi my name is FeeT and I am a computer game addict, or at least was.

Video game addiction is a real thing, and it has the ability to wreck lives and cause all sorts of havoc. Luckily I hadn't gotten to that point, but i'm not going to get into my own personal issues, but i'd still like to discuss the topic here in SD, rather than OT.

Addictions normally occur as a coping mechanism and an escape from reality. When your brain isn't releasing enough dopamine, you end up feeling down. When you're down and out for a while, you will start to find ways to get a dopamine release to start feeling good again. It is the brains natural reward system. Most computer games these days have acheivements or are competitive in nature. Winning or achieving a goal gives you a feeling of satisfaction and feeling good because your brain has rewarded you with a shot of dopamine. Sex, alcohol, drugs and adrenaline addictions all come down to the same thing as well.

To illustrate without going into too much detail, for the last two years my wife has been studying part time and working full time. In order to cope with the loneliness associated with this I turned to a hobby, online computer gaming. I am a competitive person by nature and I got addicted to winning because it made me feel good. The downside of this is that with the addiction I withdrew from the realities of life and became obsessed. I became a bit of a jerk to everyone in my life, I had no motivation to do anything except play tanks as soon as I got home from work and whenever my wife was busy with uni. It was slowly eating away at my marriage and my work life was suffering from the lack of sleep and motivation.

How did I deal with it? Due to the RL issues my addiction was causing me I started to see a counsellor to find the heart of the issues and work it out. By reflecting on my life and seeing what was causing me to withdraw I have been able to deal with the underlying issues. I have been able to find more enjoyment out of other things and have been feeling a lot better about who I am.

So if you have any of these symptoms, I suggest getting help.

• Getting too emotionally involved with the game, raging when losing, getting irritable over bad players and whatnot
  • Constantly looking at how long it is until you can play again
  • Prioritising playing over real life responsibilities. This can include depriving yourself of sleep, taking time off work to play, neglecting family and household chores.
  • Finding no joy in playing unless you're winning
  • Finding less joy out of things that you normally enjoy

As stated earlier, the best way to deal with an addiction is to deal with the source and work your way out. Some of the things I changed to help with my gaming addiction are:

• Restricting myself to playing only on certain days of the week for a specific time.
  • Preventing myself from getting annoyed when losing by playing vehicles I absolutely love that I know I am good with.
  • Keeping myself busy when i'm not playing and spending more time with friends, family and pets.
  • Playing other games with different reward systems
  • Accepting that I had a problem and that things had to change

If you live in Australia and want help, I highly recommend looking into Beyond Blue and seeking help. http://www.videogame...eatment.com.au/ is another wonderful service you can use to help overcome your problems.

General_Soulhunter #2 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 22081 battles
i sometimes feel like that but i have my way to handle those emotions. go out for a walk, hiking, watch movie etc.

~chuck norris and superman once fought each other on a bet, the loser had to wear his underwear outside his pants~

Travlla #3 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 11473 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
Nice thread Feet, Good  to see you have gotten on top of your problem, some very good advice there, +1,

Trav

Crap@tanks since 2011, retired from WOT 2015.  2017 we will see,

FeeTFooD #4 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 26414 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Just here to help really. I don't want other people to go through what I did, or put their loved ones through what I did.

Also there was that report of the video game addicted teenager in Russia that jumped out a window after a losing streak. There would have been so many underlying issues which would have led to the guy seeking enjoyment out of WoT, it is such a tragedy that he died.

Edited by FeeTFooD, 26 May 2014 - 04:14 PM.

Travlla #5 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 11473 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
One of my mates (since primary school) killed himself 4 years ago, because he could not deal with his addiction problems (heroin), I also had some addiction problems( not heroin) during most of my 20's, It does affect your family and close friends ,The monkey on your back can be hard to shake, but admitting you have a problem can be half the battle,

Edited by Travlla, 26 May 2014 - 04:24 PM.

Trav

Fruity_Ninja #6 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 14772 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

I have a compulsive and addictive personality too Feet.  I feel you.

I can't say I've ever felt that way about gaming though, more in other areas of my life.

FeeTFooD #7 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 26414 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Guys I don't want sympathy, I am dealing with my problems. I just want community awareness :)

Travlla #8 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 11473 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

View PostFeeTFooD, on 26 May 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Guys I don't want sympathy, I am dealing with my problems. I just want community awareness :)

Sympathy it isn't, Respect it is!

Trav

Bluefunk #9 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60596 battles
  • [WAT] WAT
If only I am not addicted to work...

3LIT3_5NIP3R #10 Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Major

• 11278 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

School is the physical barrier between me and WoT/games in general,  tomatoes in WoT pushes me to other games, I look forward to weekends where I can play, and even more to school holidays (except the projects). I feel WoT is the only game where I am critical of gameplay and prefer to win and all that 'competitive stuff', in other games I don't bother if I suck or not. Symptom 1, 2 and 4 is probably what I have.

... Just realised you're in the same school as me 3LIT3, imma rekt you irl -Laserbeam, 13 Jan, 11.10 PM

_EzioAuditore_ #11 Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Major

• 52621 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN
:/

T55A Get! 263/300 done with honors!  65/75 obj 260 missions done! :^)

3 mark: 1390 leo pta is-7 e5 t26a 2 mark: m46,obj 907, 50100, e100, batchat 25t,  t57 heavy, grille 15, obj 140, is-6, is-3, vkd, pzivh, mutz, spic, CAX, 113

Helljumper, Helljumper, where you been? Feet first into hell and back again! When I die please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear!
Just pack my box with PT gear! Cuz one early morning 'bout zero-five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky!
Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!

http://cdn-frm-sg.wa...-1407289026.gif

Fishgun #12 Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 8500 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
One time I was so addicted to video game I didn't go to sleep. I just played video game all night.
I like to play tank video game

_EzioAuditore_ #13 Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Major

• 52621 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

View PostFishgun, on 26 May 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

One time I was so addicted to video game I didn't go to sleep. I just played video game all night.

I played skyrim 4 days in a row w/o sleep. dozed off at the com.

T55A Get! 263/300 done with honors!  65/75 obj 260 missions done! :^)

3 mark: 1390 leo pta is-7 e5 t26a 2 mark: m46,obj 907, 50100, e100, batchat 25t,  t57 heavy, grille 15, obj 140, is-6, is-3, vkd, pzivh, mutz, spic, CAX, 113

Helljumper, Helljumper, where you been? Feet first into hell and back again! When I die please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear!
Just pack my box with PT gear! Cuz one early morning 'bout zero-five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky!
Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!

http://cdn-frm-sg.wa...-1407289026.gif

RalphTheTheatreCat #14 Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

SealClub Number 10

• Beta-Tester
  • 11519 battles

Kudos for bring it up and putting it all in perspective Feet.

My job is my simple solution for WOT.  I know WOT frustrates me and makes me angry, but then I look at what I do in RL and know when things go wrong in my line of work, they really go wrong horribly and quickly and in a very very final way.  I then look back at this place and it give me some perspective when I get angry at pixel tanks and how small a part of my life it is.

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

FeeTFooD #15 Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 26414 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I seriously think that this post should be kept up top. 

Mullet_ #16 Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 17002 battles

nice post feety. I found it helps to simply prioritize. When all other priorities are sorted which includes my health, my partners needs, my childrens needs, my work and household commitments. then and only then is it time for me to have some me time. I dont always get it, thats the way of life, but when I do its fun . There is also nothing wrong with looking forward to "me" time. It comes after all other things are sorted and only then. Me time can be what ever you like to do. I happen to punch holes through pixilated tanks for fun (when I'm not fishing). It's no different with not having a drink or a cone (if thats what floats your boat) until you are sorted. It should be something looked forward too and rewarding for all the time and energy that went to the more important things first.

:smile::honoring:

Edited by Mullet_, 26 May 2014 - 08:35 PM.

3LIT3_5NIP3R #17 Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

Major

• 11278 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostFeeTFooD, on 26 May 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

I seriously think that this post should be kept up top. 

Could request for someone like Tan/Conan to pin it, or get a mod to ask for permission.

... Just realised you're in the same school as me 3LIT3, imma rekt you irl -Laserbeam, 13 Jan, 11.10 PM

FeeTFooD #18 Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 26414 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Well, when a mod reads it and if they decide it is pin worthy ;)

At mullet, people without kids and with few responsibilities are more likely to be hit by this type of addiction. 

Mullet_ #19 Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 17002 battles

View PostFeeTFooD, on 26 May 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

Well, when a mod reads it and if they decide it is pin worthy ;)

At mullet, people without kids and with few responsibilities are more likely to be hit by this type of addiction. 

Thats true mate. Though Ive witnessed neglected kids because of an x box.

Whether you have kids, a wife, your a brain surgeon, student, drop out on the dole, what ever. Its about prioritizing. A fathers priorities should be his kids, a brain surgeon his patients and a drop out, getting a job.

Ie : do all you can today in order to get a job and maybe a girl friend...then play some tonks after :glasses:

brutalgrace #20 Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

Corporal

• 11541 battles
  • [LAKAS] LAKAS

just want to share i too is an game addict it started when CS came out in the market and it got worst when RO was released, there were days i dreamed of the game, cant wait for tomorow, stealing money from my mom's wallet (lol), dumped my girl friend in exchange for freedom in playing the game, worse at one time i even used my girlfriend as a source of money just to play those games, even my education wasted 2 years, wasted tuition more like around 200k++ 2 years. and what makes it worse is im a loner type of person and games can actualy provide a sense of belongingness, like somewhat i feel important.

well how did i cope up? i did seek any help there this point in my life that i realised i was getting no where, so i was able to accept that im sick i am addicted, what i did is, i wrote poems, talk to real persons more often, still im playing today but not that much just to take the stress of my job.

anyway for those game addicts, dont let the game play you.

:D sorry english bad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users