Video Game Addiction, coping and dealing with it.

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

KiwiPanzer #21 Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

Major

• 19522 battles

Good Thread!

I got to the point where work got in the way with gaming.  I was addicted to modding Civilization IV - (see : The Road to War - Historical, a WWII European Scenario and it took me two years to develop because work got in the way.  I then retired from work at age 48, so I could spend time playing computer games.  With this extra time, I took only 9 months to develop my next great mod Modern Earth.  I used to make my own wargames as a child and played with model tanks on a table top in my teen and young adult days.

Many people retire to pursue their passions, and my passion is to play computer games (and currently that is World of Tanks).  Many people have more expensive hobbies, costing them $1,000s a year or even more.  Life is too short to waste it doing things you don't enjoy and for me enjoying life is playing computer games.  However, with my new found retired lifestyle, I have volunteered to help people, am more free to do things with my nieces and nephews and spend more time with my parents and most importantly be with my wife.

My wife has accepted that I like to play computer games and even brings me drinks and snacks while I play, and she gets to enjoy what she likes to do, read book, watch TV, look after the home, etc.  She has two passions, her brother and his children and swimming and I take time out from my gaming to do these with her.  My other passion is watching movies and this is what I do when I don't feel like gaming.

Am I addicted to computer games, yes.  Does it harm my life? I don't think so, as I and my wife are very happy with our new stage of life.  We had both worked very hard and saved a lot of money and are free of debt and own our own home.  Because of this we feel we can now enjoy the fruits of our work.  I have a small part-time job now which is low stress and helps to supplement our meagre income now that we are not working, but we are happy not be chasing more and more material things, like bigger houses, flasher cars and new electronics.  We focus on doing things that make us happy.

Edited by KiwiTTNZ, 27 May 2014 - 03:40 AM.

Rainbow_Cat #22 Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

First lieutenant

• 29215 battles
  • [DPS] DPS
Thanks for sharing that Feet, was a good read. Gaming is my hobby and it's what I enjoy doing but I can safely say I have an addiction to it. Not as extreme as some examples I've read but I feel I spend an unhealthy amount of time playing and putting RL responsibilities aside a bit to often. Best thing I can do is set controls for myself like limit game time  during work nights and making sure I always put time with family and friends before gaming.

R A I N B O W

Splattimus #23 Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 25154 battles
  • [PANZA] PANZA

I have a friend and old Gaming buddy who went through this. For ages we (the rest of his friends) did not understand what was going on. As he explained it we were perplexed, the definitions he gave fitted all of us (more than 6 hours a day gaming? I'd spend 16 hours playing games if I could get away with it), and yet none of us felt we were addicted. The difference was the rest of us could go out for the night on the town instead, or spend time with family and friends, or simply read a book and not suddenly feel anxious or depressed. Being addicted is not simply spending to much time in front of a Computer, its the feelings associated with not playing that defines the addiction.

His addiction was a Famous MMORPG that abbreviated kinda looks like WOT... His addiction was so bad he was calling in sick, and had moved units to live closer to work, even when the area and unit was quite bad. He ended up selling his gaming rig and moving cities (not that moving cities is effective in a Internet world) in his quest to free himself from his addiction. He's found someone, and has taken up several other hobbies to counter the amount of gaming he now does.

My addiction is Coke. The crap in the Red Cans... Unfortunately for me, I've been abusing them as a meal and sleep replacement for so long my body no longer understands the concept that normal people have 3 solid meals a day instead of one, and drink needs only be fluid, and not sugary and caffeinated at the same time.

Sarge: What a way to go. Killed by my own mechanical creations. I'm sure there's a philosophical lesson to be learned from all this.
Simmons: Something about the dangers of technology and the unwavering pride of mankind?
Sarge: No, something about hiring better help that doesn't just stand around watching you die!

I don't believe we should kill all the stupid people. Just remove some of the warning signs and let nature take its course...

Yekaterina #24 Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 5998 battles

View PostKiwiTTNZ, on 27 May 2014 - 03:40 AM, said:

I got to the point where work got in the way with gaming.  I was addicted to modding Civilization IV - (see : The Road to War - Historical, a WWII European Scenario and it took me two years to develop because work got in the way.

You were THAT Kiwi?

-Yekaterina

If winning and losing are both irrelevant, then win!

Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей

Fendalton #25 Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

• 11338 battles
  • [LUCK] LUCK

I was addicted to WoW when I was 17/18, stopped going to Uni because of it, $20,000 NZD in Student Debt later and no Bachelor of ICT. I would not go to uni just so I could farm dungeons and play the AH, all my flatmates were the same and I think we were the first guild to get the title "Twilight Vanquisher" on the Dreadmaul server. (Sarth 3 Drakes up) Biggest regret in my life so far. 

I'm 23 now, and sometimes I do see myself looking at forums wanting to go home from work just to play tanks, maybe it's the start?

Good read though. Made me open my eyes. 

Epicurus_ #26 Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Staff sergeant

• 25168 battles

View PostMullet_, on 26 May 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

nice post feety. I found it helps to simply prioritize. When all other priorities are sorted which includes my health, my partners needs, my childrens needs, my work and household commitments. then and only then is it time for me to have some me time. I dont always get it, thats the way of life, but when I do its fun . There is also nothing wrong with looking forward to "me" time. It comes after all other things are sorted and only then. Me time can be what ever you like to do. I happen to punch holes through pixilated tanks for fun (when I'm not fishing). It's no different with not having a drink or a cone (if thats what floats your boat) until you are sorted. It should be something looked forward too and rewarding for all the time and energy that went to the more important things first.

:smile::honoring:

I thought this thread was meant for helping cope with addictions not encouraging them.:amazed:

KiwiPanzer #27 Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

Major

• 19522 battles

View PostYekaterina, on 27 May 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

You were THAT Kiwi?

Yeah!

Fruity_Ninja #28 Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 14772 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostKiwiTTNZ, on 27 May 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

Yeah!

So you are like famous in another game?

Mullet_ #29 Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 17290 battles

View PostEpicurus_, on 27 May 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

I thought this thread was meant for helping cope with addictions not encouraging them.:amazed:

I see your point Epi. I was just trying to suggest the prioritizing of ones life and how all important things must come first.

Whether its games, tv, drugs or booze, limiting their usage to times when everything else is done, IS a way to cope.

Edited by Mullet_, 27 May 2014 - 05:33 PM.

FeeTFooD #30 Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 27324 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Easier said than done Mullet. I don't know if you have ever been in the situation that I or many other people have been in. Yes moderation does help with coping, but it doesn't fix the core issue. It only treats the symptom.

kilig ako

Yekaterina #31 Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 5998 battles

View PostFruity_Ninja, on 27 May 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

So you are like famous in another game?

He was a mod and scenario developer for Civ. I was a lurker on civ fanatics and basically played all the "historical" scenarios. His wasn't a particular fave, but it was certainly fun. 

View PostMullet_, on 27 May 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

I see your point Epi. I was just trying to suggest the prioritizing of ones life and how all important things must come first.

Whether its games, tv, drugs or booze, limiting their usage to times when everything else is done, IS a way to cope.

The main problem with addiction isnt so much the doing of a thing, as the psychological dependence on a thing. It affects different people differently. Psychological dependence is a giant pain to deal with, almost as much as physical dependence.

-Yekaterina

If winning and losing are both irrelevant, then win!

Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей

Mullet_ #32 Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 17290 battles

View PostFeeTFooD, on 27 May 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Easier said than done Mullet. I don't know if you have ever been in the situation that I or many other people have been in. Yes moderation does help with coping, but it doesn't fix the core issue. It only treats the symptom.

I never meant to make it sound easy sorry.

Also, it can be that if its used in moderation and nothing in RL suffers for it then it can cease to be an issue at all.

OneForceX #33 Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 15859 battles
  • [TA-R] TA-R
Nice share feet, Mods shud/must pin this even if it will go against the business side of things but hey, Wargaming cares.     :wink:

_Storm #34 Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

Ordo Hereticus

• 14825 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Well, a few years ago, I was addicted to Call of Duty (terrible, I know but we all make mistakes). Suffice to say it [Redacted] my life over for a few months. It was not until after I realised and subsequently got over it that I realised how bad it had been, getting up really early to play, telling people to "[Redacted] off" because they got in the way of me and the game etc. Luckily I did get over it before it became really serious.

Never again.

+1 for a good write up Feet, I hope someone who needs to reads it.

FeeTFooD #35 Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 27324 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Thanks to whoever pinned this

kilig ako

CHAKA24 #36 Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

Dabaw's "Pro Noob" Tanker

• Beta-Tester
  • 9860 battles
  • [KMMHS] KMMHS

For me eventually, I played video games including world of tanks at least 2-4 hours, is making decisions faster. Furthermore, I was keep losing the game will cause rage but I keep cool down for a few seconds and move on to the next battle or game.

BTW, +1 to FeetFood's post for advice to video gamers.

BabyGroot #37 Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 44425 battles

tl;dr

I am a video game addict until the PC broke down.. Too lazy to get it repaired. :tongue:

Edited by Centurion_NZ, 02 June 2014 - 05:16 AM.

Need HELP with Individual Missions?

Follow this link: Urchin's obj. 260 quest log & other EPIC battle replays.

stewiejp #38 Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

#GetOnBoard

• Community Contributor
  • 44453 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
Great thread feet, a bit +1 - I've known guys in this situation (taking time off work to play games, almost losing their job = marriage = kids etc) - and I guess a lot of us are (possibly) close to falling into this addiction. I 'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a 12 hour "all nighter" when the missus has had an early night, or is at work.... Food for thought... 

#GetOnBoard Studios  -  Where the magic happens - www.youtube.com/c/stewiejp   www.twitch.tv/stewiejp  

mttspiii #39 Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:04 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 31806 battles
  • [PVP] PVP

View Poststewiejp, on 31 May 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

and I guess a lot of us are (possibly) close to falling into this addiction

Come to think of it, is it possible that some people are addicted to WoT - not the game - but the forums?

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

Ezz #40 Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 69166 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postmttspiii, on 02 June 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

Come to think of it, is it possible that some people are addicted to WoT - not the game - but the forums?

Crazy idea. Don't know what you are talking about.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users