Slow tanks on rails

slow tanks map size rails ground resistances

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Wesleybruce #1 Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

Private

• 872 battles

The big slow tanks problem is why WoT can't use the the bigger maps for the lower tiers but if it's solved then boom. The slower you are and the bigger the map. The more likely that the game will end with you still trying to reach the frontline. 

There is a possible solution to the big slow tanks problem that has not been tried. These tanks were all meant to be mounted on tracks and taken long distances by rail. Some still have the rail bogie mounting points or Buffers and chain coupler on the model. https://en.wikipedia...d_chain_coupler
Speeds on ralis of 40 to 60 miles per hour for any of the the biggest slowest tanks were normal. Even the Maus was meant to go to the battle field on rail and then trundle a few miles to take out a bunker or turret. We need not depict a train engine just as we don't depict gun crew. 

We have hard terrain and soft terrain but if railway tracks are made an additional terrain class then you could give the big slow tanks a big x2 or x3 bonus to speed on the tracks. Its not much help if you're crossing the tracks but great help if you keep your tog or Tortoise running along the track. 

Add a few tracks to the bigger maps and have the slowest tanks zoom along the tracks passing the rest but THEY'RE ON RAILS! Everybody can guess where they would be. 

A penalty for some other tanks on tracks would also be historically accurate. Some tanks could not safely drive over railway tracks without throwing a track.
At the lowest levels spotting distance will also matter. The last thing you want is a draw because the surviving tanks could not find each other. Changing the spotting distance with a map size bonus would fix that. Call it a weather effect if nessesary. 

hazzey #2 Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Corporal

• 17539 battles
  • [TIM] TIM
I think i want to die

hazzey #3 Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

Corporal

• 17539 battles
  • [TIM] TIM

And also have a solution dont play slow tanks BOOM  https://youtu.be/aZHvd0ks7Es

Edited by hazzey, 18 May 2017 - 04:54 PM.

Weslam #4 Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

First lieutenant

• 11406 battles
  • [BLAZE] BLAZE

I think I'm having an aneurysm.

Please tell me this is a joke post.

Rare photograph of Russian infantryman carrying prototype helmet into battle (Stalingrad, December 1942; colourised)

xRainbowAssassinx #5 Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

Captain

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 26434 battles
  • [TIM] TIM
I think its interesting but there would need to be a siege mode sort of delay. 

Won't get implemented though, adds too many factors and buffs slow tanks, which are already balanced.

Living in the wilderness as a unicum unicorn                           

xRainbowAssassinx #6 Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Captain

• 26434 battles
  • [TIM] TIM

View PostWeslam, on 18 May 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I think I'm having an aneurysm.

Please tell me this is a joke post.

He is new to the game, he doesn't understand the game producers or the game yet. This would be a interesting suggestion for a new starting up game though... if balanced correctly.

Weslam #7 Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

First lieutenant

• 11406 battles
  • [BLAZE] BLAZE

View PostxRainbowAssassinx, on 18 May 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

He is new to the game, he doesn't understand the game producers or the game yet. This would be a interesting suggestion for a new starting up game though... if balanced correctly.

I know he is, but... still...

Only a few maps have railway tracks on them, and imagine how much work a railway system would take, as well as how much performance would drop on low end computers

It's an interesting, if not unusual and maybe a bit silly, idea, but it's a little difficult to take seriously.

Although I agree with him in that the game desperately needs more maps; not just in total, but maps really need to be divided between low, mid, and high tier games, instead of having all maps used by all tiers except 1 to 3 where just a few maps are avaliable for those.

Rare photograph of Russian infantryman carrying prototype helmet into battle (Stalingrad, December 1942; colourised)

xRainbowAssassinx #8 Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

Captain

• 26434 battles
  • [TIM] TIM

Thats a better response @Weslam.

xRainbowAssassinx for people's award.

Zynth #9 Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

Major

• 20217 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Yeah, well I want Christie suspension road wheels so my BT-7 can drive without tracks.
RIP Aufklärungspanzer Panther 16th July 2015. You will be missed, friend.

U12D13 #10 Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

Captain

• 28164 battles
  • [CALM] CALM
Welcome to World of WarTrains

I'm not good at this game, its just that the rest of the server sucks~

Apply for [ANKOU] today! Simple requirements: English speaking, Wn8 = 1000+ (nego-able), new players welcome!

Weslam #11 Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

First lieutenant

• 11406 battles
  • [BLAZE] BLAZE

View PostU12D13, on 18 May 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

Welcome to World of WarTrains

You made me laugh, have a +1

View PostxRainbowAssassinx, on 18 May 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

Thats a better response @Weslam.

xRainbowAssassinx for people's award.

Rainbow the forum police, here to fix people's morals and make them better people

You honestly really can't deny that tanks on rails are a silly idea, though

AntifoulAwl #12 Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

Captain

• 13638 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF
..and when the track gets blocked or blown up??

Later that day, they took me away.

xRainbowAssassinx #13 Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Captain

• 26434 battles
  • [TIM] TIM

View PostAntifoulAwl, on 18 May 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

..and when the track gets blocked or blown up??

the other one keeps going!!!! Spin off the track, hit a random team mate, banned 4 lyfe.

pokeranger24 #14 Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

Staff sergeant

• 4751 battles
  • [SPIDA] SPIDA

View PostZynth, on 18 May 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Yeah, well I want Christie suspension road wheels so my BT-7 can drive without tracks.

yeha wargaming why cant we have that ? technically some tanks in-game can run without tracks in emergency and whats an bigger emergency when enemy is shooting at you

RNG = NTR

Any Problem Can Be Solved With A Tank

Weslam #15 Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:58 PM

First lieutenant

• 11406 battles
  • [BLAZE] BLAZE

View Postpokeranger24, on 18 May 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

yeha wargaming why cant we have that ? technically some tanks in-game can run without tracks in emergency and whats an bigger emergency when enemy is shooting at you

Because in an emergency, I highly doubt you'd have the time to get out of your tank and tie chains that connect your last road wheel to the drive sprocket.

_Storm #16 Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

Major

• 14364 battles
Tanks were not transported to the battlefield by rail, they were transported near to the front lines and then expected to drive the rest of the way, one of the reasons heavy and/or slow tanks sucked a lot was because they really struggled to get anywhere without said rail transportation (one of the first deployments of Tiger IIs resulted in only 8 out of ~50 tanks arriving to the front lines from the train station, and then 3 of them getting knocked out by a single T-34/85).

Edited by _Storm, 18 May 2017 - 07:31 PM.

Weslam #17 Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

First lieutenant

• 11406 battles
  • [BLAZE] BLAZE

View Post_Storm, on 18 May 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Tanks were not transported to the battlefield by rail, they were transported near to the front lines and then expected to drive the rest of the way, one of the reasons heavy and/or slow tanks sucked a lot was because they really struggled to get anywhere without said rail transportation (one of the first deployments of Tiger IIs resulted in only 8 out of ~50 tanks arriving to the front lines from the train station, and then 3 of them getting knocked out by a single T-34/85).

Besides, heavy (weight, not class) tanks that were transported by rail had to be spaced really far apart; Otto Carius wrote in his memoirs that four train cars had to be spaced between every Tiger I tank to make sure the tracks and bridges the train went over didn't break. You'd transport the tanks to the nearest train station to the front lines, unload them using cranes and jacks, change the tracks (in the case of the Tiger I and II), then drive off.

Could you give a source for that 8 out of 50 statement and three of them getting knocked out by a single T-34-85?

Wesleybruce #18 Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

Private

• 872 battles

View PostxRainbowAssassinx, on 18 May 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Actually I've played since launch but it does not show all my games for some reason and getting into the forum has been a problem for ages. My older posts all ended up on the european server because they and the games I played back then predate the asian servers full implementation. I think that was WoT's excuse when I asked last. Archive your best post off line.  
And yes I watched hours of WoT game development so I know it's a new idea and it can be balanced. Some of the slow tanks are historically slow. Based on realism, a few others are made very slow because they can't nerf the gun and armor because that is the history of the thing: good gun and armor. 

I'm someone that likes to balance historical accuracy with game play. It's hard but not impossible. 

Wesleybruce #19 Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Private

• 872 battles

View Post_Storm, on 18 May 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

Nice to see some one else knows the history. I know my solution is not totally realistic but WoT staff have cited the big slow tank problem in server youtube videos. It is a problem they are seeking an answer to. 

PS were those the tigers knocked out on the western front or was it something that happened twice?
I know 8 more were bagged in France when the germans train got bagged by an infantry unit and someone called in an airstrike on the train.  

Edited by Wesleybruce, 18 May 2017 - 08:19 PM.

xRainbowAssassinx #20 Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Captain

• 26434 battles
  • [TIM] TIM
no maus ever saw combat :trollface: too slow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users