sirfoch rip

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

xXRainbowAssassinx #41 Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

No hOpE left.

• 27563 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY

View PostEzz, on 21 May 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

Discusses censorship... then gets censored. Would be solid gold.

From past experience not having a specific rule that addresses what you've posted does not necessarily preclude a post's or your removal.

lul yah.

View PostAKASHA178, on 21 May 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

well players get banned for reporting the bug and glitches in game just few days back (30 days banned issued ) i cant imagine what they do for foch:hiding:

Meh lets just see what happens. I'm not personally having a dig at WG so it's not like I'm insulting their product or anything as such.

neokai #42 Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:47 PM

hunts pixels from red line

• 41355 battles

View Postkookookichoo, on 21 May 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

#FreeFoch

the DMCA copyright strike threat was well out of order

Jim Sterling weighs in: https://youtu.be/hmvwiTs7Dvg

Jingles deploys his 'voice of reason': https://youtu.be/NIjuYybgRkc

Actually, the DMCA strike was well within WG's rights.

My beef with Foch's initial video was the presentation of the content. He can be his usual salty self. but the review vid must still be about reviewing the tank and not become sidelined to a supreme rant/hate sideshow. That is why the second video was much more in line with fair use imo, even when presenting pretty much the same information.

On a side note, Circon's video was clearly defamatory, he's lucky he didn't get a libel suit - you don't call my kids that kind of names just for the sake of "entertainment".

Spoiler

_Storm #43 Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:07 AM

Ordo Hereticus

• 15005 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I don't really care how legal it was, and I suspect a lot of other people feel the same way, it was clearly censorship of something that upset them, sure, the video may have been shit but clearly trying to get it removed has done far more harm then if they let the viewers work that one out for themselves.

_Cesium_ #44 Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:52 AM

Staff sergeant

• 20940 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY
The truth hurts and  ̶W̶a̶r̶g̶a̶m̶i̶n̶g̶  some just can't accept and admit it.

MagicalFlyingFox #45 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:44 AM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 35558 battles
  • [ATLUS] ATLUS

View Postneokai, on 22 May 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

My beef with Foch's initial video was the presentation of the content. He can be his usual salty self. but the review vid must still be about reviewing the tank and not become sidelined to a supreme rant/hate sideshow. That is why the second video was much more in line with fair use imo, even when presenting pretty much the same information.

On a side note, Circon's video was clearly defamatory, he's lucky he didn't get a libel suit - you don't call my kids that kind of names just for the sake of "entertainment".

Whether is was or wasn't, the loss in revenue due to that PR debacle will far outweigh any loss in revenue over leaving it alone. Its a lose/lose situation and they lose less by not DMCAing Foch. 

Also they're making it worse for themselves right now... 

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Ezz #46 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 74604 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Within rights and acceptable are different things. They could have banned his account too if they wanted I'm sure. That doesn't make it ok.

Further it seems odd that there is some requirement for a review of a tank to stay within some prescribed boundaries. But I guess that is along the 'within rights' vs accepted aspect.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

_A_M_G_ #47 Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:34 AM

First lieutenant

• 18926 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Going to sub to Foch on twitch in support. I have also made the decision to not spend 1 more cent on this game and I am a premium tank junkie.

This game is not dying, WG is killing it with power creep and a lust for money.

--- 3MoE: M4, T37, T21, T20, WZ-131, Type 62, M46 KR, Pershing, T26E4 Scrub. :-(

PBKAC - Proudly sponsored by WG since 2013

atlas1347 #48 Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

Corporal

• 15173 battles
  • [HERO] HERO

WG should realise SirFoch made a pretty much valid points in all way and instead of threaten him that way, they should've just removed him from the CC program and no more than that, but SirFoch may have pinched WG in the right places and WG took action in an immature way... At this point, I don't think anything WG can say to back them up in this drama fest...

Ezz #49 Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 74604 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

For mine even the CC removal was a bit dodgey. It's not like his style had deviated that much. He'd be swearing like a trooper from the get go, being openly critical on many occasions, and had already posted a fair amount of content to suggest he didn't like the current direction. Now WG are openly accusing him of various slurs... There's a disconnect. Granted we don't see what other warnings / correspondence may have occurred prior, but something doesn't feel right. At the end of the day i doubt it will matter a great deal to most of us tho. And that's before any of the copyright threats are taken into account.

The new revenue over balance model however is going to just keep fueling discontent until they change it.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

_Storm #50 Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Ordo Hereticus

• 15005 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
New or overt? Revenue has for as long as I have been playing the game been the driver of balance (limiting how useful camo is, not getting rid of arty, gold rounds etc.), but it has always been under the guise of a legitimate reason (i.e. removing bushes and sight lines because no-one likes getting shot at by TDs outside of view range), the new premiums are just the logical continuation of this business model, but now they have just done away with subtlety and made it overt.

Ezz #51 Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 74604 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
It's a shift from indirect p2w advantage to direct p2w. The indirect was subtle enough that you could fairly easily avoid it - credits are part of the F2P model. The new prems however are direct and hence fundamentally erode the foundation of any F2P competitive game - ie that money should not directly buy performance.

Counterflak #52 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

Staff sergeant

• 15177 battles
  • [HODOR] HODOR

View Postneokai, on 21 May 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

I won't hesitate to shut the thread down if it becomes anything like the night of long dongs.

I hope the irony of this statement is not lost in the great okiguess diplomatic fiefdom of WG and it's law keepers.

Also, nice to see LUCK™'s single greatest achievement is recognised to this day. #lestwefoget.

neokai #53 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

hunts pixels from red line

• 41355 battles

View PostEzz, on 22 May 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

Within rights and acceptable are different things. They could have banned his account too if they wanted I'm sure. That doesn't make it ok.

Further it seems odd that there is some requirement for a review of a tank to stay within some prescribed boundaries. But I guess that is along the 'within rights' vs accepted aspect.

Odd? Not to sound like a shrill but fair use is not some catch-all, it has to be demonstrated. That does mean boundaries, or I could start making videos "reviewing" replays but spend the time insulting the players' ethnicity, sex, weight and call that fair use. Or spend the vid saying [Edited] this player, [Edited] him, [Edited] his whole family, [Edited] everything about him and call that fair use too.

I agree with the meat of SirFoch's unhappiness with the Chrysler, but never with the first vid.

Edited by neokai, 22 May 2017 - 03:11 PM.

Spoiler

Ezz #54 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 74604 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postneokai, on 22 May 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

shrill 

I think you mean shill, but perhaps you just have a high pitched voice.

The video was 1 part review, 2 parts [edited] you WG.

Also, loving [edited] not being filtered. Or is that all lucktm?

MagicalFlyingFox #55 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 35558 battles
  • [ATLUS] ATLUS

View Postneokai, on 22 May 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

Odd? Not to sound like a shrill but fair use is not some catch-all, it has to be demonstrated. That does mean boundaries, or I could start making videos "reviewing" replays but spend the time insulting the players' ethnicity, sex, weight and call that fair use. Or spend the vid saying [Edited] this player, [Edited] him, [Edited] his whole family, [Edited] everything about him and call that fair use too.

I agree with the meat of SirFoch's unhappiness with the Chrysler, but never with the first vid.

Now you're putting words into his mouth. He calls WG greedy, he rants about weakspots, rants about premium ammo, then says gg wg and *** you. 

Seriously. There was nothing wrong with that video, it did not need to be taken down.

Basically, you're being a WG apologist. You've nullified your argument (and credibility) by spouting bullshit. 

Edited by MagicalFlyingFox, 22 May 2017 - 03:20 PM.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

topshelf #56 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 19411 battles
  • [AAD] AAD

View Postneokai, on 22 May 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

Yes, WG are within their legal rights in regard to any content published using their property but wasn't it WG who came out during the Gaijin fiasco a few years ago and said they'd never do this kind of thing? And to use it as a tool to remove specific content they don't like is immoral and unethical.

In regard to Circon's video, that was in no way libel / defamatory. He was using a humourous anecdote to describe the making of a crap map, in his opinion. To be libellous the content would have to be shown to affect the plaintiff's reputation and possibly profits. Would a reasonable person believe the map was designed in the way he described it - not likely at all. It may have been insulting but it was far from libellous. But then again, I guess lawyers make their living on arguing these things...

xXRainbowAssassinx #57 Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

No hOpE left.

• 27563 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 22 May 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Now you're putting words into his mouth. He calls WG greedy, he rants about weakspots, rants about premium ammo, then says gg wg and *** you. 

Seriously. There was nothing wrong with that video, it did not need to be taken down.

Basically, you're being a WG apologist. You've nullified your argument (and credibility) by spouting bullshit. 

^ This, while he was ranting, perhaps in a bit of an immature way (but that's just Foch, he's always like that) he never said anything that should have been worthy of what WG did to him. Like seriously, how many times has he said "**** you WG" in the past without any issues? 

Edited by Proloser, 22 May 2017 - 04:21 PM.

zippywa #58 Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

Private

• 8535 battles

I am not a good player.

Wargaming dilemma - how to monetise a free to play game.

Attacking how they are doing it (Foch) is at issue.  Silencing dissent where the dissenter has an audience - creates a martyr, in this case Foch.

Make no mistake this is the natural reaction of any corporation with any kind of property - when there are efforts to devalue it - they take action.  I am entirely unsurprised by this episode.

Foch was quite clearly objecting to the slow creep into pay to win.  I had been observing the same power creep for ages.  The Berlin quartet are where i start thinking this way.  Particularly the Cromwell B.  As good as the Cromwell and they sold it frequently (always?? not sure) with a BIA crew.

I had recently started a new (to me) game that has been out for 2+ years already.  As i always do I Google - is X game P2W?  Answer : No - ok ill give it a go.

I did the same search for WoT when I started and it was equivocal.  I just did it again and it is still equivocal.  In my view Wargaming is trying to walk the path of as close to P2W as possible without tipping over.

Q: Imagine 2 Maus facing off against each other with 1khp remaining each - everyone else is dead.  Which player wins?

A: The one that shoots premium AT THE RIGHT SPOT.

You need to have Premium ammo in the tank AND you need to know where to shoot.

Who wins?

Wargaming.

Why?

Both players will lose credits 

From VB Addict for the MAUS

average.png Credits Income (Net)

-28,131.6 Cr

As a if you are in this thread you will have some clue as to how to replace those 28k credits.

Some but not all ways?

Be better.

Have premium account.

Have a Premium tanks as credit earner.

Tanks was a good game for me.  I will miss it.

I wish you all the best.

_A_M_G_ #59 Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

First lieutenant

• 18926 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Was just in a game where a random player posted #FreeFoch in chat followed by a Japanese player typing 'Yes [edited] You Wargaming' lol

--- 3MoE: M4, T37, T21, T20, WZ-131, Type 62, M46 KR, Pershing, T26E4 Scrub. :-(

PBKAC - Proudly sponsored by WG since 2013

xXRainbowAssassinx #60 Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

No hOpE left.

• 27563 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY
lul

Also tagged with sirfoch, rip

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users