Is it worth persisting with WoT?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #1 Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:35 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

So after 3500 battles my survival rate has dropped down to 1.5% and I generally do not last more than 1 minute in any game.  I generally can't damage anything unless I am hitting it at near point blank range and then 50% of my shots bounce.  Due to some lag I have switched over to the server reticule but it just jitters all over the place so unless I am fully stationary and move the aim point slowly I have trouble hitting anything (but then I am an easy target).  Wanted to join up with a clan to get help but can't use TeamSpeak as it causes big lag issues inside WoT (1/4-1/2 second delay in mouse movement).   It would appear that I just not "getting it" (yes watched lots of replays on youtube - hasn't helped me) or just don't have the right setup for it.  Having reached this point Is it worth persisting?  I would normally say yes but looking up WoTlabs I see that my ratings are in the 0 percentile (worst of the very bad!)

reasnd #2 Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:52 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 38656 battles
  • [BAWLS] BAWLS

what is your ping? do you have a really old PC? Are you running the game in HD mode?

Sounds like its really bad, and to be honest I'm surprised you are still playing. Personally I find that I can play with a ping up to 300 but any higher and I'm just wasting my time.

If your ping is not the problem I'd suggest you make sure you are running SD mode and have a look at the settings to see if you can dumb it down a bit.

Ezz #3 Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 69877 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
What does your budget look like for getting a decent PC / network to play it on?

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Flying_Elite #4 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

Always blame Hema!

• 30985 battles
  • [FORT] FORT

Honestly to me if I saw you in game it would make me think like you're a bot, however if you do wish to improve I suggest:

• You try to last longer in a game. Work out where the best position for your tank is, know when to push and when to fall back, use your allies to your advantage and share HP with them. 
  • Don't rush in on an opponent unless you can kill them without either taking damage or losing your tank in the process. 
  • Know what you can and can't penetrate with the tank you're using, armor is an actual thing in this game so you need to work out weak spots on a tank where you have a greater chance of penetrating them with your gun (Lower plate, cupola, gun ports, drive wheels, etc)
  • Know your limits. No one learns the game entirely within the first 4k games unless they've played similar games before, take your time and study it. 
  • Stop playing your tier 8 premium tanks and actually learn the game before placing yourself in a meta that is extremely punishing for bad play. This is possibly the worst thing a player can do when starting out in this game, you don't need a credit card to be able to play tier 8, you just need to earn your way up and learn what is actually happening in the game...

You really should go back down towards tiers 3-4 and start to pick up the ins and outs of the game.

What is your PC setup? If you aren't getting around 40+ fps then I suggest you need to run your graphics at a lower setting and server reticle is useless on this server unless you have sub 100ms. 

Spoiler

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #5 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

I have a new Alienware 17R Laptop.  My ping is 130-150 but occasionally jumps up (to the point where the screen just freezes then releases).  I was doing OK on my MacBook pro on minimal graphics and apple mouse (but lacked the ability to see anything beyond middle distance - it was just fog) but seemed to have gone downhill fast with the new Laptop and gaming mouse.

SD/HD?  I installed the beta/highest level graphics version - was that a bad idea?  I get 100+ fps usually.

I am playing in Tier 3/4.  I have higher tier tanks but don't bother with them any more.

I read an article that said you needed the server reticule if your ping was slower than 90 otherwise you can't be sure where your gun is actually pointed.

I like to move fast and fire on the move - harass and annoy the enemy.  Hide and fire is a little un-interesting for me.

_Sammich_ #6 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

Goes beach on Overlord

• 36463 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I was in the same team as you last night - map was murovanka and you were in a T40, and unfortunately first to die.

Issue was that you pushed too hard into town by yourself.  You got spotted and couldn't extricate yourself.  I send a message to warn you but I think you've chat banned me.  
Low tier TDs tend to have a campy play style and don't generally perform well as assault guns (except the hetzer).

With the number of battles you've played it's more of an issue of map awareness which hopefully you'll learn in time.  If you want to toon up I'm can give you some pointers on how to try and improve.
Trust no one, unless you have eaten much salt with them - Cicero

Profanisaurus #7 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

What gun are you running on the T40?

Was that a tier 4 game Sammich?

Thanks Conan - (Insert Eggplant here)

_Sammich_ #8 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

Goes beach on Overlord

• 36463 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Tier 5 - I'm grinding the Archer  :(

Halfway to the Achilles.

Profanisaurus #9 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

I win rate recovered the Archer.  It goes okay.  I found that after running the high tier Swedish TDs it was a lot more manageable than when I first rage sold it after 1 win in 7 games.

Back on topic though.  You can brawl with a T40 in a tier 4 game if you have to but it shouldn't be your first option and you shouldn't run the derp.

_Sammich_ #10 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

Goes beach on Overlord

• 36463 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Was at 56% with it.  After last night went down to 53% - its a hard tank to do well in.   If you manage to do get into a good position with long sightlines you're set, but getting to those positions and then setting up can take time, and if you're spotted you're in trouble as you don't have the HP or armour to survive more than a couple of hits - something which applies to most of the low tier TDs.

OP - you might be better off trying the Russian heavies, as they are newb-friendly and suit the get in your fact playstyle.  The other option is the go the armoured British TD line if you like playing TDs, as the tanks starting at the AT2 are well-armoured.  Playstyle would be a bit boring though, as they're very slooooowww.

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #11 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

Hi _Sammich_, no chat bans but I do tend to ignore in game chat as it tends to get spammy.

I am always the first to die :)  Most of the time I am taken out by artillery or by unseen tanks on the other side of the map.  I actually last longer going full at the enemy.  I find that I can tie up 3-6 tanks for around 10-20 seconds (all pointed at me and firing away) and draw 1-2 in toward me and out of position.  I figure that is better for the team than just trying to hide and stay alive and hope someone comes along for me to shoot at.

It my Hetzer I did get a couple of mission where I made it through face to face with either a TL or SPG near the enemy base and a near point blank 1 shot kill - that felt good :)

Profanisaurus #12 Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
Yeah...  first to die isn't how you win a game.  Early damage is good but if you die for less than your hit points you have gimped the team from the start.

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #13 Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles
I am assuming that games are balanced such that the total number of HP = total damage so those who get high HP do so at the expense of enemy who don't.  If everyone got their HP value in Damage then the game would be a draw!

Profanisaurus #14 Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:50 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

Generally a good point when you are starting out is to try and do your hit points so you feel you are carrying your own weight in the team.  Goods will do more (and hopefully carry you) but if you use it as a starting measure for your contribution to the team you can expand it when you get your head around it.

As a further example the two best T40 Pilots I know average 700 and 740 damage a game in their T40s over thousands of battles.

Which gun are you running on it?

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #15 Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles
The top level gun.

Profanisaurus #16 Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
So the 76mm.  That is the right call at least.

Ensign_Brendoonigan #17 Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

Staff sergeant

• 5767 battles

Hiya, Only you can answer the question you're asking.

What I can say is from my experiences I regularly see opponents with over 60k games on teams playing tiers 1-5, so even at the lower tiers you don't get away from the more experienced players. With this in mind my own games are frustratingly like this - 0 damage, 0 damage 500-700 spotting, about my tanks health or about health plus 50%. Now I have been trying to figure out why my consistency isn't there, but I've narrowed it down to

1. lack of map knowledge, (more games will fix this)
  2. I've been totally outplayed, (350 games vs 60k games - need I say more) or
  3. I've picked the weaker side to support and we're over run. (this ties in to both above)

The first 2 are pretty obvious and expected but the 3rd option was one I'd been dwelling on over the last couple of days as what defines the side to go?

Ironically todays video by Leeming Rush (see below) confirmed to me that I was definitely doing the wrong thing by supporting or leading the weakest flank and best of all why. Effectively all I've done was sacrifice myself by holding up the flank with minimal chance of me surviving and dealing damage. The rest of the team deals out damage and I was getting nothing in return. This sounds like the same issue you have so maybe this video will help..

So before you make your decision have a look at his videos, maybe they'll help. They're helping me. Frankly I've yet to see anything better for newer players as he explains his entire thought process. Not only throughout the game but afterwards he does an in depth analysis of what happened in game and why he played the way he did.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ensign

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan, 15 June 2017 - 02:37 PM.

Ensign

To Leopard 1, or not to Leopard 1 is the question!

British Line (Conqueror & Challenger), Chinese Lines (T34-2, 111 5A & WZ-131), French Line (AMX M4 mle. 45), German Line (Leopard PTA), Italian Line (P43.ter). 

2nd MOE: PZ III/IV, T-34

_Sammich_ #18 Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

Goes beach on Overlord

• 36463 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Good point about which flank to support.

If you're new, then you're probably best going with the majority of the team, as you won't have the skill to hold up a push by a numerically superior enemy.  Add your gun to the flank and know when to support the push.

Good players generally hold up better when being outnumbered, and can win or at least hold the flank long enough for the other flank to (hopefully) push through.

Exceptions happen of course.

RainbowAssassin #19 Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

Apache Attack Helicopter

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 38894 battles
  • [CHLDA] CHLDA

View PostFlying_Elite, on 15 June 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

What is your PC setup? If you aren't getting around 40+ fps then I suggest you need to run your graphics at a lower setting and server reticle is useless on this server unless you have sub 100ms. 

Sometimes i play on my laptop which has 20 FPS and i'm already on minimum graphics. :trollface:

Living in the wilderness as a unicum unicorn         

Tier 10 3 marks: IS-4, IS-7, T57 Heavy Tank, FV217 Badger, Leopard 1, AMX 50 B, Object 140, Conqueror Gun Carriage, VK 72.01 (K), FV215b (183), Super Conqueror, Object 277, T-100 LT, Jagdpanzer E 100, Bat.-châtillon 25 t, WZ 111 model 5A, FV215b, Centurion Action X, Object 430U, Type 5 Heavy, 60TP Lewandowskiego, T-62A, E100, TVP T 50/51, OBJ. 260, T110E3

kl19442 #20 Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Upholder of Russian Bias

• 7202 battles

View PostxRainbowAssassinx, on 15 June 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

Sometimes i play on my laptop which has 20 FPS and i'm already on minimum graphics. :trollface:

yikes that's every tankers worst nightmare...

"The longer the battle lasts the more force we'll have to use!"  

"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem."

Zhukov

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users