Hammered by Artillery

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #1 Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

This seems to be rather typical for me.  Moving to cover and I get hammered by Artillery.  I was lucky in this case to survive.  What am I doing wrong?

http://wotreplays.com/site/3654469?secret=ccd565edcc89683578e91ade95b8fadf

Cheers

David

guiden #2 Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

Private

• 55630 battles
  • [ASAV] ASAV

Hi David you din't wrong, it's just the artillery (SPG) that is too much powerful and precise. I was catch by arty also during fighting with other tanks, or on the move at high speed. A battle between Tanks and Tank destroyers in WOT is pretty realistic (if you are unlucky and you meet a Tiger 1 with your M4 ,,,,, you know ...) , but the introduction of those lethal SPG really destroy the "realistic fighting feeling" of this game. 

In the Reality (WW2, for example) the SPG were used only as support to the infantry action (assault gun tanks or self propelled guns) : if an infantry group is blocked by  bunkers, fortified trenches, fortified buildings etc, an observer communicate the co-ordinate of the target ( a STATIC target !) , artillery start the fire and usually after few tentative can hit the target, following the "corrections" send by radio from the Observer on the field.  An hard but very useful job!

In our favorite game it's totally different: they can "see" your position, aim with a good precision and hit you, sometimes destroying your tank with only one hit. 

Happened to me to be targeted by 3 (3 !!!!) SPG at the same time ....... no way to survive! 

Please, if you agree about what I wrote, send a ticket to the Support Team (as I did) and complain about the "superpower" of SPG, this could be the only way to push them to put a limit to the not realistic power of SPG. Cheers. Guiden

Napalmer #3 Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

Objectionable Individual

• Community Contributor
  • 48022 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View Postguiden, on 18 June 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Please, if you agree about what I wrote, send a ticket to the Support Team (as I did) and complain about the "superpower" of SPG, this could be the only way to push them to put a limit to the not realistic power of SPG. Cheers. Guiden

Please don't waste support's time and resources dealing with useless tickets like this. You seriously expect a company to change an entire game mechanic just because of a few tickets? Keep dreaming.

Regarding the OP's question, while I haven't seen the replay, arty will often target you when you are out in the open. The recent accuracy and splash changes mean that it's easier to be hit, but less likely to be 1-shot.

If you want to be hit less by artillery, try and figure out early where they are (Look at which allies are being hit) and try and get hard cover (Rocks or buildings) between you and their line of fire at all times.

Sometimes, getting hit is unavoidable, but that's just how the game works. 

3-Marked Tanks: Chaffee, Pz. T25, T37, Hellcat, T78, WZ-131G FT, AMX 12T, Cromwell, Skoda T25, SU-100, WZ-131G FT, IS-3, T-54, T-10, T57 Heavy, Object 140, IS-7, E100, Maus, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror,

AMX 50B, STB-1

Twitch.tv/TheNapalmer

Interested in ANZ Frontlines? Join the discord HERE and join the nightly games!

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #4 Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

So artillery can always see you?  The trouble is rocks and hard cover don't help a great deal either see example

http://wotreplays.com/site/3655686#tundra-dhi67540-vk_36_01_h

I'm just getting sick of being taken out by a single shot (in a heavy) whenever I poke my head out of cover to try to take a shot.

Fer_de_Lance #5 Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 27364 battles

Arty seems to have been reigned in as far as can be expected (perhaps not as far as desired though) and seems to be OKish...for now.

The thing I find annoying about arty is the XVM targeting that happens. For example, like I'm playing my Tiger 1 in a tier 9 game and I'm trying to be arty safe with shells raining down around me and the 46% WR M103 is out in the open spamming shells without a care in the world.

That does my head in. 

Edited by Fer_de_Lance, 18 June 2017 - 09:59 AM.

H_87A_2CU #6 Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 34013 battles
  • [PANZA] PANZA

David

In your first replay you were hit by the Crusader (likely after being spotted) then after you pulled back behind the bush (however you were still lit) you were hit once by the Birch gun, and luckily you avoided the following shots from it and probably the T82 HMC. You died when the O-I Exp hit you because you were sitting in the open, not in cover, and the O-I Exp player is likely to have a good crew in the tank (He has 1.5k games in it).

Second game - Very aggressive as a mid tier Heavy tank, over extended without support, got smashed by the O-Ho and the Nashorn, and then finished by a double arty tap that is likely to have come in from A1, but seeing you were so far extended could have been anywhere from A1 to A4 and very likely mostly focused into that area.

I didn't notice sixth sense go off, so I take it you don't have it???? as well as being far to aggressive as a mid tier HT. None of these games where one shot arty hits, they just finished you off in the second one, however you were dead in the next few secs anyhow as the Nashorn would have been almost reloaded when the arty splashed you. The first one tapped you because you sat still (While lit) giving it time to aim at you.

H

Edited by H_87A_2CU, 18 June 2017 - 10:31 AM.

dirtus #7 Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

Private

• 19691 battles

The argument about arty has been going on far to long, WOT has changed the dynamics of artillery due to the continual winging of heavy tank players to the dismay of players such as myself.

The examples of SPG's being used as support during world wars is in a small portion true but irrelevant when you see how many tanks that are available in the game that never went into production so cut WOT a little slack here, without arty most light,  mediums and heavy players  would all become TD's, artillery forces players to move of cap. 

Quite frankly most of the heavy tanks that are targeted deserve to be hit as they have no idea how to use cover or play to the strengths of the vehicle that they are using, those players either camp up at base, lemming or hide in bushes thinking that their invisible or invincible :P, in these cases as a arty player i'll target these tanks because they are easy to hit and deserve to be sent back to the garage, doing there team a favour is how i look at it:trollface:

Respectfully I love all aspects of the game,but i do get frustrated reading forums of people that continually complain about something that they themselves have the ability to to correct by changing their game playing style. My advise to those that have a problem with artillery is,  play the class learn that it's not all one shots, learn that it's frustrating as the class isn't as accurate as everyone thinks it is, learn that it's expensive every time you miss and learn that you are dependent on on your team playing the map and not leaving flanks open for lights to rampage behind your teams lines

If people want complain about something then start complaining about the consistent lemming players,  these people have a bigger influence on the outcome of your games, the game style is a far bigger frustrating issue than what artillery will ever become.

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #8 Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles
Whenever I sit still in the open is usually because my tracks are taken out and I am waiting for them to repair.  No, I don't have 6th sense in any of my crews - but I haven't been training them and have been just buying new crews each new tank I get (I didn't know any better).  I have only just started (this weekend) to train, get skills/perks and move crews up the line so it will take some time yet before 6th sense kicks in.

BigDaddyDelta #9 Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Arty Sympathiser

• 45877 battles
  • [KAN-C] KAN-C
if youre the only good player on the team, arty instantly focuses you which i find to be completely BS. When i was trying to 3 mark my IS-3, i was constantly being pelted by all 3 of the enemy arty which wasnt really enjoyable for me

Your usual bad@tonks pubbeh player/teammate

dirtus #10 Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:15 PM

Private

• 19691 battles

I do feel for you Forbidden, but snipers take out heads of state for a reason.

I don't use mods so i wouldn't know who is the best on the team except that you may be top tier, but that doesn't necessarily mean your the best player, hell i get top tier too but I won't proclaim that I am the best in the team because of it.

One reason you would be targeted is the fact that you play an IS-3, which bounces just about everything in the same class so for the opposing team Arty is doing what is expected of them, no different if you where playing a T95 you'll get targeted because of one reason, "armour" and your ability to deflect and take big hits not because your the "best" .

When i play a medium or heavy tanks and the arty on my team focus's on lights and mediums and leaves the heavy's like IS-3, 6, 7's defenders, O-Ho's Tiger II's  and the like alone it annoy's the crap out of me, why you may ask... well because then there is more chance for my team mates and myself to knock them out.

So i guess the question is,  next time your in a game and come up against a Maus at 100% when playing your IS-3 would you like your arty team mates to help or go on shooting rocks and bush's?

Respectfully  Dirtus

BigDaddyDelta #11 Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

Arty Sympathiser

• 45877 battles
  • [KAN-C] KAN-C

View Postdirtus, on 18 June 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

I do feel for you Forbidden, but snipers take out heads of state for a reason.

I don't use mods so i wouldn't know who is the best on the team except that you may be top tier, but that doesn't necessarily mean your the best player, hell i get top tier too but I won't proclaim that I am the best in the team because of it.

One reason you would be targeted is the fact that you play an IS-3, which bounces just about everything in the same class so for the opposing team Arty is doing what is expected of them, no different if you where playing a T95 you'll get targeted because of one reason, "armour" and your ability to deflect and take big hits not because your the "best" .

When i play a medium or heavy tanks and the arty on my team focus's on lights and mediums and leaves the heavy's like IS-3, 6, 7's defenders, O-Ho's Tiger II's  and the like alone it annoy's the crap out of me, why you may ask... well because then there is more chance for my team mates and myself to knock them out.

So i guess the question is,  next time your in a game and come up against a Maus at 100% when playing your IS-3 would you like your arty team mates to help or go on shooting rocks and bush's?

Respectfully  Dirtus

Oh I fixed the problem on arty targeting me by camping unlit so it wasn't too much of a problem anymore and they ended up losing because of them targeting me.

about your question on the maus, I'd rather kill the maus myself and let arty shoot other things because any arty that isn't a T92 or a CGC will do maximum 50-100 dmg to a maus and they'd be better off shooting other things that can help me win. Killing a maus isn't too much of an issue for me in an is-3 provided I have a T10 tank to take shots for me.

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #12 Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

I have to admit that I am a suicidal player (at times) but there are some interesting effects - first I tend to ram and if I survive often get hammered by artillery who also take out their own (the guy I just rammed).  I also like to get in among the enemy at close quarters, moving fast and have them all surround me and shooting at me (often missing and hitting each other).

Now I know this action is 'unacceptable' from a game play perspective but if I rack up 1,000+ damage from spotting (tier 4, 5 or 6) - isn't that a good thing given my own ability to cause damage is around 150 avg?

_A_M_G_ #13 Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

First lieutenant

• 17888 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postdhi67540, on 19 June 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

I have to admit that I am a suicidal player (at times) but there are some interesting effects - first I tend to ram and if I survive often get hammered by artillery who also take out their own (the guy I just rammed).  I also like to get in among the enemy at close quarters, moving fast and have them all surround me and shooting at me (often missing and hitting each other).

Now I know this action is 'unacceptable' from a game play perspective but if I rack up 1,000+ damage from spotting (tier 4, 5 or 6) - isn't that a good thing given my own ability to cause damage is around 150 avg?

I think you need to forget about arty and focus on how you can help your team to win. You look to only average a single shot of damage per game (as you highlight above) but suiciding is the worst thing you can do. Do you have some other replays we could watch? Also, do you watch any replays on YouTube or live streamers on Twitch? You need to focus on the basic game mechanics, statistics wise it looks like you have a lot of areas you could improve on.

--- 3MoE: M4, T37, T21, T20, WZ-131, Type 62, M46 KR, Pershing, T26E4 Scrub. :-(

PBKAC - Proudly sponsored by WG since 2013

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #14 Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

Content removed

iDd_Sloth #15 Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

First lieutenant

• 29363 battles
  • [ANKOU] ANKOU

Dying early is very bad for you and the team.

Be proactive and help contribute to the team.

Sitting at the back doesn't help either unless of course you are a TD/arty.

On another note sitting at the back does help, it does help the opposing team win.

In short, just be proactive instead of reactive.

When an enemy Arty "one shots" 2 of your teams' heavies and you're in a heavy tank, you know you're screwed.

A heavy tank should have armor and a big gun, if you don't have either then you're not.

BigDaddyDelta #16 Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

Arty Sympathiser

• 45877 battles
  • [KAN-C] KAN-C

View PostiDd_Sloth, on 19 June 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

Dying early is very bad for you and the team.

Be proactive and help contribute to the team.

Sitting at the back doesn't help either unless of course you are a TD/arty.

On another note sitting at the back does help, it does help the opposing team win.

In short, just be proactive instead of reactive.

sniping at the back is only viable if youre on low HP, then it'll be more important to keep your gun in the game.

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #17 Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

content removed

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #18 Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

Major

• 10950 battles

A "Sky Toilet" IS, what a "Sky Toilet" Does....

"Flushes Shit from above all over you"

And now it's no longer Solid Stools, it's that "You need MOAR Fibre in Diet" SPLASHY stuff, these days.

Always Remember this in battle.  :trollface:

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users