Nice motivational video by Claus Kellerman when you are low tier in randoms

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Takashi_Kurita #1 Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

Corporal

• 51072 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

Ola mates

An interesting video by Claus Kellerman on situations where you are the bottom of the list in randoms. It happens, but why not give it a try to do something that can help the team instead of focusing on negatives.

Enjoy.

WOT - Please Try Not To Suck | #WorldofTanks

Cheers!

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #2 Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

I've been taking a look at all these WoT videos and in particular the 4TankerandDog series and I was intrigued by the purple v gold series.  As a person who sucks at Wot I can assure those who think premium tanks and ammo improve your odds in the game that Gold DOES NOT help.  If you suck at WoT you will suck equally in premium tanks with premium ammo as in any other tank :)

So I would like to suck less for my teams.  I strongly believe my main problem is lack of situational awareness.  ie I can't see the enemy so they can't see me... wrong.  I think I am out of the line of sight of the enemy so they can't hit me.....wrong.  I try to flank and get hit in the rear by a distant TD or Arty as soon as I get within 50m of the enemy I am trying to flank....  This happens equally in all tiers.  My win/loss ratio actually improves in the higher tiers (better team support?)

Do I move up with my elite tanks and take hits for them (but obviously won't last long -  my M4 suffered a 1 shot kill from a KV2 last night trying to support an O-I).  If I sit back and snipe I am worried that my dispersion will hit a friendly and if I move wide enough to avoid that then I am so far in the open I get taken out (only takes 1-2 shots from a +2 Tier tank - even LT's).  Flanking - 9 times out of 10 I get taken out by Arty or a TD I can't see as soon as I get lit by the tanks I am trying to flank either before I get a shot in or after my first shot.  The other problem I have is 90% of my hits cause no damage.  I am aiming at the points I want to hit (particularly tracks) but dispersion (and distance) sees the shot going somewhere else (or missing altogether).  With my level of skill I only get a limited number of opportunities to fire at the enemy - particularly in slow tanks.  I should point out that on 2 occasions I have actually destroyed friendly tanks because of dispersion - that's why I am so concerned about it.

_Sammich_ #3 Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

Goes beach on Overlord

• 32626 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Gold will potentially help you with some of the non-pen issues you are experiencing. If this allows you to take out a tank that was potentially going to contribute to a win then this will affect your win rate.

If you put yourself in a situation where you get killed early then all the gold in the world isn't going to help you however.

Spamming gold is lazy anyway, as it doesn't encourage you to aim at weak spots, which you need to learn when playing higher tiers. Most tier 5 meds are pretty balanced, with gold only required when facing higher tier heavies or KV-220s.
Trust no one, unless you have eaten much salt with them - Cicero

Takashi_Kurita #4 Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

Corporal

• 51072 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

View Postdhi67540, on 22 June 2017 - 12:13 AM, said:

I've been taking a look at all these WoT videos and in particular the 4TankerandDog series and I was intrigued by the purple v gold series.  As a person who sucks at Wot I can assure those who think premium tanks and ammo improve your odds in the game that Gold DOES NOT help.  If you suck at WoT you will suck equally in premium tanks with premium ammo as in any other tank :)

So I would like to suck less for my teams.  I strongly believe my main problem is lack of situational awareness.  ie I can't see the enemy so they can't see me... wrong.  I think I am out of the line of sight of the enemy so they can't hit me.....wrong.  I try to flank and get hit in the rear by a distant TD or Arty as soon as I get within 50m of the enemy I am trying to flank....  This happens equally in all tiers.  My win/loss ratio actually improves in the higher tiers (better team support?)

Do I move up with my elite tanks and take hits for them (but obviously won't last long -  my M4 suffered a 1 shot kill from a KV2 last night trying to support an O-I).  If I sit back and snipe I am worried that my dispersion will hit a friendly and if I move wide enough to avoid that then I am so far in the open I get taken out (only takes 1-2 shots from a +2 Tier tank - even LT's).  Flanking - 9 times out of 10 I get taken out by Arty or a TD I can't see as soon as I get lit by the tanks I am trying to flank either before I get a shot in or after my first shot.  The other problem I have is 90% of my hits cause no damage.  I am aiming at the points I want to hit (particularly tracks) but dispersion (and distance) sees the shot going somewhere else (or missing altogether).  With my level of skill I only get a limited number of opportunities to fire at the enemy - particularly in slow tanks.  I should point out that on 2 occasions I have actually destroyed friendly tanks because of dispersion - that's why I am so concerned about it.

Your situational awareness seems ok since you can identify the scenarios and its eco-system ... the question is what to do next and next ... that is the lacking part ...

Had a look at your tanks' statistics and it seems like you need to know what is your play style before you can decide on where you want to move up. 

Of all the tanks you had, I think T26E4 and possibly T34B type of tanks maybe suited for you. You seem to be a "front" player since all average spots are 1 for most HTs/MTs (except Crom with 3) and your LTs are 2.

But the fundamentals need to be brushed up. Like damaging and knowing your tanks' strengths/weakness, map positions for your tank and weak spots for the enemy strong tanks.

Playing in a platoon with better players will help you pick up some tricks and mold you further. Another thing is no point trying to be good at all tank types ... unless you are trying for personal missions ... those missions are meant to train you to understand the tank role fundamentals.

"Do I move up with my elite tanks and take hits for them (but obviously won't last long -  my M4 suffered a 1 shot kill from a KV2 last night trying to support an O-I)."

The important thing is whether your death now or later is worth it. It is a judgement call.

If you see that your front tanks are hitting the enemies, then probably your death would result that the enemy gets destroyed by your other team mates. If the enemy tanks at the front with your elite team mates are not being damaged effectively (meaning the exchange is not balanced; either through the numbers or the player effectiveness), then it is a judgement call whether if you are alive, could you do more damage than your elite team mates if they are dead since their gun is more effective?

For the above scenario, since you are in an M4, you could had been by the OI's side or behind where he shields you temporary and you observe whether the KV2 (and OI) had taken its shot yet before taking your chance in flanking it. The reason being that if you flank successfully, he will turn to try to shoot you while exposing his turret back or side to your OI team mate where the OI can take the opportunity to hammer the KV2 (assuming that the OI player is opportunistic enough). The KV2 has a long reload for the 152mm gun and likewise for the OI if it uses the big gun instead of stock.

Some may say that you should not flank and use the OI as a shield permanently ... the big question is whether can you do sufficient damage in comparison with 1 successful shot by the OI? Lots to consider in a real time battle.

If you are in a fast MT(eg cromwell), you need to be flanking with a group of MTs/LTs or spot and run. Run zig zag and hide. Do harassment tactics. No one likes to be seen and their light bulb flashes.  

If you are not good at sniping (hit ratio), no point in sniping since you will not help in any way ... stay at the front and know where are the weak spots and use the appropriate ammo type. Even if you cannot do real damage, use HE and damage the crew or module or tracks ... 90 seconds is not a fast countdown ... if you can hit his gun, optics, his commander, his gunner, driver, loader ... it helps ... since the enemy will be less effective ... he will hide (this relieve pressure on the team; 1 less gun to worry now while they focus on others) or he will move up close combat to be effective (whereby he risks himself) or he will try to shoot with reduced effectiveness.

There are too many scenarios and variables to discuss in this thread.

Drop me a PM if you would like to discuss more.

Cheers!

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #5 Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

Thank you for the advice - most welcome.  My immediate goal is to do as little damage to my own team's chances as possible.  I know my best matches have been paired up with another LT or MT and destroying everything behind the enemies front lines.  Another tactic has been a fast wide flank and take out whatever Arty and TD I can but this doesn't work on all maps (if it does I haven't discovered those paths yet and I am discovering new paths, nooks and crannies every battle)

_Sammich_ #6 Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

Goes beach on Overlord

• 32626 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
The most important influence you have is doing damage.  Get your gun in the game and keep it singing.  

This may not mean you getting kills per se, but if you can assist doing damage you'll go a long way to winning.

Most new players either fall into the trap of either being suicidal and not doing any damage / spotting, or camping and not bringing their gun into the fight.  Both options are just as bad.

If you're afraid of pushing, look at the render range on the minimap to work out how where you need to be to engage the enemy so you can shoot what's spotted, rather than be too far away that your gun's not in the fight.

Another tip, unless you have very good gun depression, go around hills to shoot things, rather than over them - otherwise you'll expose your whole tank to enemy fire.

Trust no one, unless you have eaten much salt with them - Cicero

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #7 Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles
Well doing better tonight - 50% win/loss and around 500 avg damage (would have been higher except for the 1 battle I got 0 when a Scorpion G parked himself square behind me so I could not retreat into cover after firing)  LOL and here's me whinging about other players.... pot-kettle :)

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #8 Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

http://wotreplays.com/site/3663410#westfield-dhi67540-ac_4_experimental

Finally got 'how to properly use cover'.  6th Sense would have been useful but learning without it is probably a good idea.  The end was inevitable but I am happy I was able to dish it out for a change :)

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #9 Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles

I don't have 6th sense but this is a typical situation that really frustrates me.  Who is spotting me so that arty can hit me?

http://wotreplays.com/site/3663515#prokhorovka-dhi67540-kv-1

Takashi_Kurita #10 Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

Corporal

• 51072 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

View Postdhi67540, on 22 June 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

http://wotreplays.com/site/3663410#westfield-dhi67540-ac_4_experimental

Finally got 'how to properly use cover'.  6th Sense would have been useful but learning without it is probably a good idea.  The end was inevitable but I am happy I was able to dish it out for a change :)

Seen your replay. You did well, but definitely there is room for improvement.

Swap the bino and camo for vents, rammer and gun layer.

https://www.youtube....h?v=PR0W2xwXkLE

https://www.youtube....h?v=l2MNgGv_nGk

https://www.youtube....h?v=GyzchZrC3QY

https://www.youtube....h?v=ao6ldKqNGTg

Cheers!

Takashi_Kurita #11 Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

Corporal

• 51072 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

View Postdhi67540, on 22 June 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

I don't have 6th sense but this is a typical situation that really frustrates me.  Who is spotting me so that arty can hit me?

http://wotreplays.com/site/3663515#prokhorovka-dhi67540-kv-1

Seen the replay ...

What's with the bino and camo?

You don't use these on a HT ... it is a waste of slots ... it is either vents/spall liner/stabilizer, rammer and gun layer.

You should had stay closer to the red line at the left.

Once you are spotted by the LT rushing down the hill, you should had reversed and stay at the slope ... camo rating on HTs are the weakest ... so all the SPGs were targeting at the hill since there is not much on the rail slope.

But you did your best since your team were not up to standard, they left Line 1 and 2 undefended ... it was a loss from the start ...

Cheers!

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #12 Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles
Ahhhhhh.....  finished the night on a typical note.  T34 in a tier 8 match.  Trading with HTs who are scoring damage on me but 6 shots, 6 hits, no damage by me......  0 damage matches where I'm in the thick of the fight and survive really annoy me, particularly where I am so slow and can't find another target.

SF_CielPhantomhive #13 Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

Sergeant

• 11956 battles
  • [TAU] TAU
If you feel down, really there is no other way to feel better than to take a rest from the game, brew a tea and watch some Ace Tanker replays, or go to wotlabs and look at other's stats to make you feel better :trollface:

Here was a story of Rhodesia, a land both fair and great...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users