• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

tuk0 #1 Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

Corporal

• 1481 battles
  • [WGFP] WGFP

Arty

Back then:

Almost everyone in the pubs say its [edited].

Those who play arty say its not as OP as the pubbies think.

Now:

The pubs say its even more [edited] and say it hasnt been nerfed enough.

Those who play arty are divided on it. The noobs said its easier to play now. The seasoned arty players, on the other hand, say it doesnt have that much of an effect anymore.

*Note: I play pubs at tier 6 grinding my M36 Jackson. I havent experienced arty above tier 8 yet.*

Now to my pub observations:

Since the nerf, I have observed that arty players dont shoot at heavies anymore, even if they are in groups. That might be because of the combined effect of the arty shell damage and pen nerf AND Heavies using Superheavy Spall Liners that mean a direct hit by arty only takes a maximum of 100 hp per shot. And the lights are almost always moving around and/or stationary and hard to see.

That makes arty players pick on TD's (because they usually dont use spall liners and have weak roofs or no roof at all), Tanks that have weak hulls (literally american heavies), tanks of the same or lower tier, low HP tanks(WG supposedly nerfed (and "buffed") arty and added stun so that arty wont be selfish and play for the team, but what they did is make arty even more selfish), or other SPG's.

Teamkill incidents have also increased because most pubbie lights and meds dont realize their target is also targeted by friendly arty

(mostly because pubbie arty dont use the T key or the pubbies ignore it.)

Also, most pubbies usually dont shoot a stunned tank for unknown reasons, which means stun is mostly useless.

And the nerf also made it much harder and much more painful to grind arty since damage is harder to deal now. I have played for a short time after the nerf before i sold my M41 because the grind is much more frustrating than before the nerf.

As for my personal opinion, I hate the new patch, both because arty is painful to grind and i have become targeted more often by enemy arty. 

LupisVolk #2 Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

First lieutenant

• 11656 battles
  • [NFB] NFB
I love what they have done to arty, now if only they were a little bit more accurate. :arta:

Wise words one said in general chat:  "MM doesnt suck. MM works as intended. Players dont."

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #3 Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20422 battles
Grinding arty are easier now imo. Got a lot top 5 xp game now compared to before the change.

PEOPLE DIE IF THEY ARE KILLED

Doug_Piranha #4 Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

Corporal

• 11066 battles
I've started playing arty again after the patch. I only have low tier machines but feel like I can help my team mates at least with the stun even if I cant hit the enemy. Before that it was frustrating to have games where you just cant hit anything or do a lot of damage.

Cheers

Disclaimer: I'm not a great player, I just like having a go.

0__lol__0 #5 Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

First lieutenant

• 12519 battles

Still hate them. That's 4 years of hate. I am the Sith Lord of WoT, powered by my hatred of arty.

It's got worse for bottom tier tanks. Focus seems to be on the easiest kills more than ever. Granted I'm usually one of the few on the front line, but still, the most stupid mechanic ever dreamed up for a video game...

Have fun!

Edited by 0__lol__0, 28 June 2017 - 08:32 PM.

Gold Brother, glorious gold.

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #6 Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:32 AM

Major

• 10950 battles

My feeling towards Arty has improved, but focused fire from 3 arty is Hell.  2 Arty per match MAX would be better.

High tier Arty is perriless as RNGesus dictates if you make ANY money from the match.

1 Good positive is the re-usable Med and Repair kits.

Maps are STILL too small for Arty. 

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

Puggsley #7 Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

Captain

• 60121 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

I play a bit of high tier arty and I think its better than before the changes. Getting good damage is much more reliable now. I do blind fire a lot and its always pleasant to open the battle report and find you have 3k more damage than the in game counter showed. Counter battery is easier due to the larger blast radius.

Groups of HTs are a great target, the improved accuracy means you can get a pretty reliable 800 to 900 damage plus the stun damage as well within the larger blast radius. Marking your target very often encourages other arty on the team to focus fire - pretty well permastunning a group. And if they wanted to achieve good team support then they have achieved that.

I've found more pubbies will keep clear of a target once you mark it, especially at end game and multiple arty is targeting the same tank. 

Meds and lights are the prime early game target now, good damage due to less armour and the larger splash radius makes it easier to track. And again, marking your target all through the game lets you coordinate with other arty well. There is a LOT more arty coord now.

I reckon a limit of 2 per match would be a pretty good move.

tuk0 #8 Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

Corporal

• 1481 battles
  • [WGFP] WGFP

View Post0__lol__0, on 28 June 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

Still hate them. That's 4 years of hate. I am the Sith Lord of WoT, powered by my hatred of arty.

It's got worse for bottom tier tanks. Focus seems to be on the easiest kills more than ever. Granted I'm usually one of the few on the front line, but still, the most stupid mechanic ever dreamed up for a video game...

Have fun!

Yep. That means me most of the time. Everytime I see a light, its game over since i drive the Jackson. And heavy drivers seem more emboldened when stunned. 

tuk0 #9 Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

Corporal

• 1481 battles
  • [WGFP] WGFP

View PostPuggsley, on 29 June 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

I play a bit of high tier arty and I think its better than before the changes. Getting good damage is much more reliable now. I do blind fire a lot and its always pleasant to open the battle report and find you have 3k more damage than the in game counter showed. Counter battery is easier due to the larger blast radius.

Groups of HTs are a great target, the improved accuracy means you can get a pretty reliable 800 to 900 damage plus the stun damage as well within the larger blast radius. Marking your target very often encourages other arty on the team to focus fire - pretty well permastunning a group. And if they wanted to achieve good team support then they have achieved that.

I've found more pubbies will keep clear of a target once you mark it, especially at end game and multiple arty is targeting the same tank. 

Meds and lights are the prime early game target now, good damage due to less armour and the larger splash radius makes it easier to track. And again, marking your target all through the game lets you coordinate with other arty well. There is a LOT more arty coord now.

I reckon a limit of 2 per match would be a pretty good move.

Doesnt seem that way to me. TD's are the juiciest arty targets at low tiers, since they are mostly stationary.   And i have seen quite a few BLUE arty players and WHY they become blue, they almost always accidentally kill friendly meds and lights flanking way too close.

Puggsley #10 Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

Captain

• 60121 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

View Posttuk0, on 03 July 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

Doesnt seem that way to me. TD's are the juiciest arty targets at low tiers, since they are mostly stationary.   And i have seen quite a few BLUE arty players and WHY they become blue, they almost always accidentally kill friendly meds and lights flanking way too close.

I was talking about 8+ arty and early game targets.

TDs are endgame targets, they are rarely spotted until well into game and my objective is to fire after each round is loaded. If one is spotted then well and good, but for the first few minutes its lights and meds who are generally spotted.

Early damage is the only reliable way to help the team get a win. If you get lucky and kill a scout early its a huge advantage. 

Gordo_G #11 Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

Corporal

• 37019 battles
  • [_RB_] _RB_

View Posttuk0, on 03 July 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

I tend to go for the vehicles with least health but it does vary. As for BLUE players, haven't had that happen yet, but have hit some allied vehicles because of extremely inaccurate shots and/or them moving into the targert area in the 2-3 seconds between firing and the shell landing.

if the MODs are reading this, can i PLEASE request the German Arty ballistics be modified for a higher and steeper trajectory? As is, even the smallest crests can completely shield enemy tanks and when there is a cluster of 5, 6 7 or more that you can't quite hit because they are in a small hill's shadow it is most frustrating :(

Gordo_G #12 Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:43 AM

Corporal

• 37019 battles
  • [_RB_] _RB_

Those comments still stand - but with the addition of a review of the Alpha damage, in particular the top two German GW SPGs - keeping a straw total on actual damage from hits and excluding those that do no damage (!) or kill the enemy and so skew the damage I'm averaging around half the supposed Alpha. Heck, reviewing after the game, not unusual to get close to the same average in simple splash.

On the other hand, and may be as much a reflection on the average abilities of the other players, when grinding tier 5 & 6 SPGs I've been more often than not in the top 3 for damage despite being 2 tiers down - still losing them most of the time, though, even with highest damage and multiple kills...

Matt_B #13 Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

Staff sergeant

• 17022 battles

Back before the nerf, the main issue players seemed to have with SPGs was being one-shotted. That's totally fixed now; unless you're in a thin-skinned vehicle that strays too close to the front line, your chances of getting taken out that way in the early game are negligible.

Rather, the issue has moved on to other things, mostly the stun and splash damage, and the ability to engage from the red line with near impunity. I'd still think they can be fixed in various ways. Making artillery more accurate would negate a lot of the need for splash and stun, and shortening range so that they have to move up to supporting positions close to the front line where they're much more vulnerable to scouting and being flanked. The FV304 already works in that paradigm and I'd think it the best balanced artillery in the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users