Summer sale tanks - are any worth getting?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Ensign_Brendoonigan #1 Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

Staff sergeant

• 5767 battles

Hi guys, 

I'm wondering if I should consider picking up one of the daily tanks on sale for the future but are they all likely to be tier 8?. If this is the case are there any which are likely to come out which would suit a newish player. NB: It's taken me over 100 games to finally come to grips with the Tier 6 M42-57 Swedish Auto loader, so I'm thinking maybe a more user friendly type. I do enjoy her now though but she's very team dependant and with minimal armour and being sluggish maybe wasn't my best choice. Some of them like the T-34 heavy I simply won't go near as they're just outclassed now and her ROF is simply not up to par but I'm happy enough to get a good all round vehicle on sale for future investment. 

I already have a small number of low tiered premium tanks collected whilst on sale. All are ready to go as crew trainers for use, once I've finished building up my Swiss crews. IE: T-127, Excelsior (for Brit heavy) , Fury (US med) and the M22 Locust but I like the idea of having one higher tiered premium tank to work towards which I can just have fun in, ideally without it being OP to the point of craziness. I'm thinking Med, Heavy or TD as I've had a lot of experience with them at high tiers from my Blitz days. 

Todays STRV S1 looks quite good as a TD (even if it seems a bit campy), I also think the VK45.03 (tier 7) looks pretty good as well if it comes on sale with it's fairly good armour, but all in all I'm just after one that will be fun to play and allow for a few early errors whilst I adapt to her. 

Thoughts/feedback appreciated.

Ensign

To Leopard 1, or not to Leopard 1 is the question!

British Line (Conqueror & Challenger), Chinese Lines (T34-2, 111 5A & WZ-131), French Line (AMX M4 mle. 45), German Line (Leopard PTA), Italian Line (P43.ter). 

2nd MOE: PZ III/IV, T-34

SF_CielPhantomhive #2 Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

Sergeant

• 12153 battles
  • [MOOSE] MOOSE
Man, in all seriousness, get your battle count up first (frankly WoTB and WoT experience is quite far and few in terms of similarities) before you think of buying any high-tier premium tanks. And if you think VK 45.03's any good then you should have considered Libertes and its reliable front plate, or if they put the Defender on sale again, go for that as well. You may also want to invest your money (or time if you're after T-34-85M) for Tier 6 fast meds instead, all of them are well-rounded.

Here was a story of Rhodesia, a land both fair and great...

LupisVolk #3 Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

First lieutenant

• 11887 battles
  • [NFB] NFB
S1 is a rather good TD and it introduces you to the new mechanics that are employed with the swedes. The VK 45.03 is more or less a tiger 1 made to look kinda like a tiger 2. It's meh really.

Wise words one said in general chat:  "MM doesnt suck. MM works as intended. Players dont."

Ensign_Brendoonigan #4 Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Staff sergeant

• 5767 battles

View PostVolkerman, on 09 July 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Man, in all seriousness, get your battle count up first (frankly WoTB and WoT experience is quite far and few in terms of similarities) before you think of buying any high-tier premium tanks. And if you think VK 45.03's any good then you should have considered Libertes and its reliable front plate, or if they put the Defender on sale again, go for that as well. You may also want to invest your money (or time if you're after T-34-85M) for Tier 6 fast meds instead, all of them are well-rounded.

lol, Yes Blitz whilst similar has a lot of differences, especially in how crews work. (and wow what a difference it is). Also tanks which I excelled in in Blitz I've struggled with here, which is why I'm treating it like I'm starting a new game. Having said that, the Blitz experience does mean I'm not a total idiot when it comes to team play, high tier play, side scraping, td play, passive scouting, map awareness, where to aim etc. But more importantly it also means I don't mind playing the low tiers until I'm confident with the maps, keyboard etc as I'm smart enough now to enjoy the game instead of simply trying to rush a line. 

My only issue with just staying at lower tiers though means you're not getting some valuable higher tier practice, so playing the occasional higher tiered game is good to learn off. And of course the only way to do this is to buy a premium tank (unless I rush a line). Now if I was to just buy a tier 8 premium and play it solely that's a different story altogether. Personally to me, that's the wrong thing to do and it wouldn't be much fun for me, and if I'm not enjoying the game why bother. IE: I have to learn how to combat higher tiered opponents anyway I'd like to do it in a tank which doesn't require a degree in it to get the best out of.... 

I'll keep an eye out for the Liberte and def' hoping to do the 13 missions needed for the 34-85M for when I feel like playing the Russian meds again.

Cheers

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan, 09 July 2017 - 06:23 PM.

Ensign

British Line (Conqueror & Challenger), Chinese Lines (T34-2, 111 5A & WZ-131), French Line (AMX M4 mle. 45), German Line (Leopard PTA), Italian Line (P43.ter). 

SF_CielPhantomhive #5 Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

Sergeant

• 12153 battles
  • [MOOSE] MOOSE
I'm not implying that you're a total flea sod, and i see playing low tiers as a mean of getting some experiences to play tanks i.e you get to face higher tier tanks = you get to learn their weakspots = you get to own them with low tier tanks, and you get the tanks on the next tier and you know where to shoot your adversaries at. Skipping straight to high tiers with 0 amount of knowledge about enemies on and above your tier doesn't help you and the team to win.

But i guess it's all up to you on how you would play the game; it's not meant to be serious despite me going mental about this game. In that case, have fun with the game man.

Here was a story of Rhodesia, a land both fair and great...

anonym_Gw7wT386Zhed #6 Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:10 AM

First lieutenant

• 0 battles
In terms of game play and knowing your tanks each tier is as good as any other tier.  The difference is that at the higher tiers the gameplay is usually less random and reckless.  I do better in the higher tiers than in the lower tiers as I can usually depend on support or providing support for others.  In the lower tiers it is usually everyone for themselves.

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #7 Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:26 AM

Major

• 10950 battles

Probably ANY Prem up to Tier 6 is worth getting for training and Credits.

Any higher and your in the Tier 8 OP zone and unless you buy a Tier 8 OP prem you are mostly wasting your time and money.

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

Ensign_Brendoonigan #8 Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

Staff sergeant

• 5767 battles

Cheers guys. I actually like tier 6 at the moment in the m42-57. I mean it took a while but I'm starting to get better damage than tier 8s in her now. Not sure if thats me or the quality of the tier 8s... lol

I'm hoping something is going to leap out at me otherwise no stress, the t34-85m is out anyway for free....

Ensign

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users