Just when I felt I've got a grasp on this game

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Ensign_Brendoonigan #1 Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

Sergeant

• 1898 battles

Hay guys

I finally got to 50% WR the other day but since then I can't seem to win anything, and it's now fallen back to 49.53% - and boy am I gutted over it. It's almost as if (and I know it's not) the system purposely putting me in teams which yolo and boy do they yolo hard. Since then my Matilda's WR has plummeted from 70% to now 56%, my PZ IIIE couldn't hit a barn door that it was parked outside of (if it wasn't for her being able to unlock 3 tanks I'd have already consigned her to the garbage dump after my already getting the Tier 4 IIIJ), but my worst problem is that my teams die in minutes. Does anyone other than me realise it's a 15 minute game because at the moment my Matilda literally arrives after 3/4 of the team is dead. Why do lights just race of to there doom :confused: . So I'm at a bit of a lose as to what to do, as I want to get my WR back to above 50% again yet I have very little control over it.  

Anyway during this time I've been able to get 2 mastery's, (Matildas was even in a lose and the Czech tier 4 med) and have started to pick up 1st and 2nd classes on a regular basis now in her but it means nothing if it's not turning into victories. But after every good game I'm automatically in a big lose. So all in all it's almost as if the worlds RNG gods have gone serious troll on me!

What do I have to sacrifice to get it back to normal again (as  I really feel ARTY has better aiming RNG than my pzIIIE at the moment - I mean seriously it took 5 shots for me to hit a stationary arty at 100 metres away using the L42 gun)! The last thing I want to do is spend gold on low tiered crews which you play for only a few games before moving up a tier but the IIIE is just terrible with a 84% crew and if it's going to be the norm heaven help me.... NB: I use free xp to a small degree with these tanks as I don't see much point in getting every module upgraded.  

Or do I just have to adjust my mindset and just accept that I'm on a hiding to nothing at these tiers.

Ensign

I say old chap, how about you be a jolly good fellow and shot somone else as I need all the help I can get!

Leopard 1 (VK30.01D), M48 Patton (unlocked M4AE2 & 8), FV215B (Black Prince), TVP 50/51 (Skoda T25), Kranvagn (STRV M42)

iDd_Sloth #2 Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

First lieutenant

• 23545 battles
  • [ANKOU] ANKOU

When you feel that you are in a slump, it's better to give it a rest rather than soldier on, since 8 out of 10 it would just get worse.

"Since the force is not with you" :B --- FOR NOW.

When an enemy Arty "one shots" 2 of your teams' heavies and you're in a heavy tank, you know you're screwed.

A heavy tank should have armor and a big gun, if you don't have either then you're not.

MagicalFlyingFox #3 Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 24591 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

Low tiers means derpier guns sadly. Anyway, you've either hit a run of bad luck or are gravitating to your contribution %, most likely the former but potentially the latter also contributing a little. 

Anyway, don't go on tilt because it makes your decision making terrible. Once you get frustrated at the game, there's no point in continuing because it will just get worse and you play worse, just take a break and do something else for a little while and come back refreshed. 

Its difficult to analyse low tier games, so keep at it. Just keep learning the mechanics and techniques before you go worrying too much about stats and how to improve them. 

Flying_Elite #4 Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

Always blame Hema!

• Forum Moderator
  • 23565 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

View PostEnsign_Brendoonigan, on 22 July 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

Hay guys

I finally got to 50% WR the other day but since then I can't seem to win anything, and it's now fallen back to 49.53% - and boy am I gutted over it. It's almost as if (and I know it's not) the system purposely putting me in teams which yolo and boy do they yolo hard. Since then my Matilda's WR has plummeted from 70% to now 56%, my PZ IIIE couldn't hit a barn door that it was parked outside of (if it wasn't for her being able to unlock 3 tanks I'd have already consigned her to the garbage dump after my already getting the Tier 4 IIIJ), but my worst problem is 

You're rather new to the game, your win rate is going to fluctuate a lot at your battle count as they have a bigger impact, don't stress too much over it. You're better off focusing on learning the ins and outs of the game before worrying about that.

Low tiers is always fast paced so the matilda just can't keep up, you're better off trying to anticipate where the battle will be and head there.

that my teams die in minutes. Does anyone other than me realise it's a 15 minute game because at the moment my Matilda literally arrives after 3/4 of the team is dead. Why do lights just race of to there doom :confused: . So I'm at a bit of a lose as to what to do, as I want to get my WR back to above 50% again yet I have very little control over it.  

It's low tiers, games are quick and very rarely last more than 5 minutes, most of the guns are inaccurate with high damage or accurate with minimal damage, everyone is playing the game with their heads in the sand because it's fun for them. You'll find that the higher up in tiers  you go, the more teams will balance out due to larger HP pools and armor that can actually bounce damage, again don't worry about your win rate at this point, learn the game first.

Anyway during this time I've been able to get 2 mastery's, (Matildas was even in a lose and the Czech tier 4 med) and have started to pick up 1st and 2nd classes on a regular basis now in her but it means nothing if it's not turning into victories. But after every good game I'm automatically in a big lose. So all in all it's almost as if the worlds RNG gods have gone serious troll on me!

Low tier masteries are usually easy to get because it's the most populated tiers.

What do I have to sacrifice to get it back to normal again (as  I really feel ARTY has better aiming RNG than my pzIIIE at the moment - I mean seriously it took 5 shots for me to hit a stationary arty at 100 metres away using the L42 gun)! The last thing I want to do is spend gold on low tiered crews which you play for only a few games before moving up a tier but the IIIE is just terrible with a 84% crew and if it's going to be the norm heaven help me.... NB: I use free xp to a small degree with these tanks as I don't see much point in getting every module upgraded.  

Or do I just have to adjust my mindset and just accept that I'm on a hiding to nothing at these tiers.

The IIIE is a short barrel pop gun, dispersion is trash and you need to be close range or stationary to have a chance to hit anything with it, let alone pen.

Better to adjust your mindset and take it easy. 

Spoiler

Facebook | Youtube | SEA Replay Thread | WotLabs Stats | Best Ambush Skills Asia

3 MoE: Crusader

2 MoE: AMX 1390, Skorp G, T-34-3, T-34, T67, M53/M55, WZ-131, STRV m/42-57

NICE MEME

ThomChen114 #5 Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:49 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 29422 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

^ as @Flying_Elite says

try to make some friends and form platoons. it's no guarantee to win, but having at least 1 or 2 other tankers you can directly message with and rely upon can make a difference.

it's normal to get frustrated, especially if you've done what you can. 

try some other tank types if you can. generally speaking, in low tiers TDs will usually trump MTs in accuracy as a trade off of having no turret. The Marder 38t has an excellent 75mm AT gun and is decently mobile & responsive. the Alecto is a low-profile, mobile TD with a rapid fire 6-pdr gun that can shred tanks quickly (some 2 key may be needed against higher tier HTs)

lastly, there's a drastic difference between an 85% crew to a 100% trained crew. Make use of +% crew training personal reserves to help

deviantArt ID i-am-thomas

Flying_Elite #6 Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

Always blame Hema!

• Forum Moderator
  • 23565 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO
If he keeps the attitude up he'll turn into a decent player most likely. He seems to value win rate so if he takes time to study the game he'll have a lot of fun grinding up there tiers

Spoiler

Facebook | Youtube | SEA Replay Thread | WotLabs Stats | Best Ambush Skills Asia

NICE MEME

Ensign_Brendoonigan #7 Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

Sergeant

• 1898 battles

Here's hoping.

I'm trying to concentrate on only 2 maybe 3 different tanks a day. ATM it's the Matilda (with her almost first skilled crew), T-127 retraining my BT -7 crew and the IIIE (until I have all the tanks unlocked).  But i swap in the tier 4 Czech tank, the Churchill 1 and when I'm feeling brave the M4.

O and my Lago is great to take out! Already half way to 2nd skill in her.

Even though I do have the tier 6 premiums as well as the Pz M10 I'm still not in a rush to play them. I've already discovered that unlike in WoWS a 85% crew still acts like an 85% crew in a prem tank.  So unless they're at 100% they're still a major liability even in premium tanks.

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan, 23 July 2017 - 11:36 AM.

Ensign

I say old chap, how about you be a jolly good fellow and shot somone else as I need all the help I can get!

Leopard 1 (VK30.01D), M48 Patton (unlocked M4AE2 & 8), FV215B (Black Prince), TVP 50/51 (Skoda T25), Kranvagn (STRV M42)

ForbiddenSabre #8 Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

Sergeant

• 34127 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View PostEnsign_Brendoonigan, on 23 July 2017 - 03:25 AM, said:

Here's hoping.

I'm trying to concentrate on only 2 maybe 3 different tanks a day. ATM it's the Matilda (with her almost first skilled crew), T-127 retraining my BT -7 crew and the IIIE (until I have all the tanks unlocked).  But i swap in the tier 4 Czech tank, the Churchill 1 and when I'm feeling brave the M4.

Even though I do have the tier 6 premiums as well as the Pz M10 I'm still not in a rush to play them. I've already discovered that unlike in WoWS a 85% crew still acts like an 85% crew in a prem tank.  So unless they're at 100% they're still a major liability even in premium tanks.

If you're good enough, you'd be able to train them to 100% in your Prem tank faster as they are 1.) higher tier and have 2.) premium crew experience bonus. But at this point it's only a suggestion if you feel you're confident enough to take on the higher tiers

Your usual bad@tonks pubbeh player/teammate

Ensign_Brendoonigan #9 Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

Sergeant

• 1898 battles

​Yeah, just got back to 50% so my first goal is over, with another mastery in the tier 4 Czech med! (I really like her - my 2nd mastery in 20 games with her!)

I just need to keep improving and get to 52% for much some needed stability, how hard can it be. lol

Thanks for the support guys!

Ensign

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan, 23 July 2017 - 06:52 PM.

Ensign

Flying_Elite #10 Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:17 AM

Always blame Hema!

• Forum Moderator
  • 23565 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

View PostEnsign_Brendoonigan, on 23 July 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

Here's hoping.

Just a heads up, churchill is a bad tank, you're better off getting the KV-1 for a tier 5 HT as its more user friendly

Spoiler

NICE MEME

Profanisaurus #11 Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

Major

• 2010 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

Yeah and the Churchill line doesn't get much better for a while.

Salt glorious salt : They can not do what they want with unclearly way.

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #12 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:14 AM

Major

• 10697 battles

The Chruchill 1 is a Good Tank, Great View Range, Stable good gun Handling, just needs some support from your team.

The Church 7 is much the same as the 1 but HEAVILY outclassed in Tier 6, by plain run of the mill tanks in own Tier, and "Turkey Slapped" by Tiers above it.

The Black Prince, was a Reasonable Tank that is Terribly outclassed even when Top tier, and Embarresslingly neutered when seeing Tier 8.

Trying to Grind anything British in Tier 8 is now like Banging your head against a wall.  Losses, outclassed, Expensive and 80% of the Time Bottom Tier.  It will break your will to play.

TBH the British line has been Forgotten about and screwed over by WOT, and Most of it's Tanks are now barely worth playing and difficult to grind through, due to power creep.

The Tier 5 Sherman is Reasonable and the Cromwell is the Stand out, in both Tech Tree and Bromwell Spec.  Other than that the British line will bring you tears.

Also don't forget that as you climb the Tiers you CAN Transfer and retrain your Crews from Tank to Tank as they Gain skills.  It can make Grinding a NEW Tank less Painful.

In Any case good luck.

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

MagicalFlyingFox #13 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 24591 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO
Churchill line only gets good at tier 9, and even then, its one of the more difficult tier 9s to play with its armour being its turret and even then it can be a little squishy at times. 

0__lol__0 #14 Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

Staff sergeant

• 10575 battles

Well, all I can say is if you are liking those tanks and doing well, you will kill it if you go for the better tanks in those tiers.

The marder 38t with binocs and a net is devastating even when bottom tier.

The German line gets better with the Pz3/4. That tank is very good.

Remember, if you want to do REALLY well in a tank, even have patches of 60% in it, you MUST have its equipment installed. Rammers are the best start.

If you can afford it, save up for atleast a net and binocs. You can demount those for free and it really helps in stock tanks to atleast have the option of camping somewhere useful.

Good work by the way. Had I known I would eventually care about stats, I would have not been such a numpty.

Try dragging a 9500 game account up .2 of a percentage point. 

Gold Brother, glorious gold.

ThomChen114 #15 Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 29422 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

grinding up the UK HTs, there's one word you must remember and hold fast to as your guiding light amidst the storm of pain and peril:

CONQUEROR

deviantArt ID i-am-thomas

Ensign_Brendoonigan #16 Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Sergeant

• 1898 battles

Swapped back to the M4 for some variety and I've finally started to see some consistent results in her. Using the top pen gun has been an unmitigated disaster for me and my crew. I found it highly inaccurate and often didn't pen anyway so it often saw me struggling to generate any damage. 

Anyway after a lot more failures in her I tried out the derp gun as frankly how could it be worse but to my surprise I'm getting good results in her. Her WR is improving (hard to get it worse to be honest), getting much better damage  output and whilst it's dispersion is worse, the accuracy isn't that different to the upgraded gun anyway. I also swapped binos for optics for more consistent visibility which also has helped.

Theirs hope yet that i can get her WR up to 50% and who knows I may even consider keeping her if the enjoyment level continues to improve.  

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan, 26 July 2017 - 01:30 PM.

Ensign

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #17 Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:14 AM

Major

• 10697 battles

The 105 DERP is the gun of choice on the M4.  There's nothing more satisfying than hitting a ELC or a T67 on the move, and demoloishing them in 1 shot.  :angry:

The Deep Evil laugh Acompanying the said 1 shot, also is great for your airways.  :trollface:

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

Ensign_Brendoonigan #18 Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

Sergeant

• 1898 battles

Having a lot of fun with the derp gun on the M4, why I thought the other gun would be better I don't know. Actually I do because when I played it in Blitz the standard gun was superb and figured it would be the same here so that's something to learn from. 

Anyway the weekend saw me drop to 49% again but I turned it all around today and managed 6 mastery games in the T-127 whilst grinding for the 15k XP boost. Throw in a few games with the pz IIIE, BT-7 and a pz III/IV and I'm finally above 50% proper now! I definitely do suffer at tiers 5-6, however I'm thinking this is partly because of the lack of skills the crew has so they're at a huge disadvantage. To combat this I now use a 100% commander (200 gold) on any new tank along with vents, so that's now plus 15% to the other crews skills. I found that I do well at tier 4, so I'm going to continue to play these tanks and continue building up the crews skills, so once I've moved onto tiers 6 and up I should have a number of 100%'s on them. 

I have to admit I really liked the Leopard line so far, especially the IIIJ. I've found it extremely strong (even with  only an 80% crew), and I'm hoping the III/IV will be just as strong. Judging by the amount of bounces I had in my first (and only) game in her I can see real potential. At this stage I've unlocked the top gun (free xp'd) and already upgraded the tracks after that game. (still have turret and engine to do).

All I have to do now is decide which tier 6 I should consider looking at first, or maybe just go for another heavy line for further learning. My choices at present are the E8, Churchill 7, VK30.01D, STRV 74, Skoda T25 or another heavy line. (Currently practicing lights with the A-20). I may simply play 50-100 games in them all and then make the decision based on which one I like the most.

I've definitely learned a lot over the last week, but another week playing around tiers 4-5 won't do me any harm. 

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan, 31 July 2017 - 09:15 PM.

Ensign

Proloser #19 Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:00 AM

Major

• 20980 battles

Try the Skoda T25 out of that list you gave, lots of fun for a tier 6 tank. E8 is great too.

FYI another week at tiers 4-5 won't cut it if you want to keep a > 50% wr at higher tiers. It will take a lot of practice and dedication to succeed in higher tiers so don't expect to get good in a few weeks ;) Keep up the good work though, I don't mean to discourage you... just letting you know now so ya know what to expect ;) 

Scrub Reviews (most with memes): T20, T26E4, T-34-3

Kind of Scrub Reviews (no memes 2lazy): T110E5

kek

NameWasStolenStresslevel #20 Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:36 AM

Staff sergeant

• 28628 battles

View PostEnsign_Brendoonigan, on 23 July 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

​Yeah, just got back to 50% so my first goal is over, with another mastery in the tier 4 Czech med! (I really like her - my 2nd mastery in 20 games with her!)

I just need to keep improving and get to 52% for much some needed stability, how hard can it be. lol

Thanks for the support guys!

Ensign

There is much more things about improving win ratio than just player skill. To succeed in WoT there are things that no one here will want to tell you, but I will. 

Sure a good player can do well in any tank if he know the basics, but if you dont know the basics and/or find it hard to learn, you must also take in consideration that you need to build your crew, think about equipment and even care about your camo ratings...

Many new players will refuse to fire gold ammo because they are free to play completely or for simply not knowing how and when to use it. "Skilled" players out there are running full gold to keep their heavy tanks at purple stats, dont fall in this trap, you will only lose credits without losing the frustration of having a bad team.

But knowing when to use gold ammo is important and using gold ammo is could be sometimes a very necessary thing to do. The reason behind that is simply:  if you miss your shot or it fails to pen, that means you have not only to reload and hence be vulnerable to be killed by  the one u failed to pen for example, but you also wasting time because your team needs your gun working in order to win the game, but that still dont justify the gold spamming, they just do it because they have cash, that doesnt mean they cant aim properly, but firing too much gold may cause them to forget what a weak-spot is or what trading properly is. Firing only gold will make your game easier since it will reduce the time you have to be exposed aiming, so you can peek a boom and quickly retreat. HE not always do damage and is not gonna help you win the game.

Take me as an example of Noob.

By 1000 battles i was still without any equipment in any tank because i thought 10-25% "improvement" in any tank stats was completely useless... By 4-5000 battles I bought my 1st and only tier 10 (t57 heavy) and completely played it the wrong way thinking about how to use my armor lol... Constantly attacked on chat by my own team mates (i was using Binos on my T57 heavy by 6k battles, purchased this tank by playing 1k battles on a Chinukai without Prem account...) but I dont think they were wrong. 

I only start caring about win ratio by 10.000 battles after someone mocked me in chat for being 48% after i killed him driving his MAUS without using prem ammo (i didnt trust HEAT but that time was more  for economical reasons) and then he went mad on ALL CHAT and i decided to stop playing the game. Then i came back and fell in love with Hellcat, that tank taught me how to use mobility and flank. and it made my win ratio rise from 48% to 50%!!! Then i fell in love with LTs and built my 7 crew skills in T49 recently (got the crew from M44 spg into the T57 heavy, then into hellcat, then from hellcat into T71, from T71 into bulldog and right now they are at the t49 as a 7 crew skills...:B

I even made a post (2 years ago) complaining that WG was always putting me in the statistically bad team all the time to try to keep my WR low lol... I was so trolled and so insulted so hard in that post  that i end up making my forum post be transferred by someone  into reddit's wot sub forum (found that out by coincidence after searching my own name on google recently) with people telling me to wear my tin foil hat.

Anyway i think i have meet bots in battle with 1k battles and 53% win ratio and they never seem to leave the base. Its possible that luck can influence badly, but if it start influencing too much, then the problem must be something you are doing, there is a limit that luck can affect your performance, but there is still a chance that it will affect you largely.You can mitigate this issue by playing less when you feel you bad luck, but the real way to stop bad luck is to stop and see whats wrong and how can you help the team to win. Good lucky....

PS  you have only 1000 battles and already so compromised with win ratio?  That's the spirit :honoring:

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 01 August 2017 - 05:44 AM.

Defender/Chrysler marathon next year? I would take a week holiday just to complete Defender/Chrysler missions and that would bring many people back (assuming that Defenders and Chryslers are the reason player numbers started to drop sharply). The game would have 1 million new players believe me Wargaming!!!

My stats in light tanks that allows me to spam the minimap whenever I die faster than the team:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users