Just when I felt I've got a grasp on this game

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

0__lol__0 #41 Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

First lieutenant

• 10888 battles

Yep, I hear you. It's a flip of a coin whether you are on the strong team or weak team. Being bottom tier 70-80% of the time is not much fun. Certainly have to be on the ball to even hope of swinging a win.

It's encouraging that they have more lower tier premium tanks now, to make the middle tiers more appealing.

I bought the Pudel the other night, and it's honeymoon has been great so far. The panther M10 I don't have, but limited MM sounds great.

I like the new MM in principle, yet the effect generally has been negative with the obvious priority of loading bottom tier games.

Advice I was given, and currently am grinding, it to go up a few tech tree lines at the same time. That way you get a better familiarity with the tanks in each tier, which helps a lot in being able to avoid/kill them.

Gold Brother, glorious gold.

0__lol__0 #42 Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

First lieutenant

• 10888 battles

Oh, and also, experiment with the non-derp guns. Everyone seems to be running them if one is available, but for pure education, they suck. Much more is learnt running a standard gun.

Besides, I love nothing more than coming across an M4 with a derp gun I'm my T34. I can get 3 shots into him while he's reloading. Same with the PzIV. 

I learnt the hard way in the IS that the big alpha guns aren't always the best match for the tank. If you can't take a hit when reloading, then you will die too quickly, or have to hide and be ineffective.

Ensign_Brendoonigan #43 Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

Sergeant

• 2264 battles
Thanks Jessica. I'll change them around as that makes good sense.

Ensign

I remember the good old days where I had ping below 120...... It feels so long ago.

Leopard 1 (VK30.01D), M48 Patton (unlocked M4AE2 & 8), FV215B (Caernarvon), TVP 50/51 (Skoda T25), Kranvagn (STRV M42), Chinese line (Type T-34) 

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #44 Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:17 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60596 battles

View PostEnsign_Brendoonigan, on 05 August 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

Still can't decide on a tier 8 premium. TBH none seem all that special to me. Maybe the Mutz for my eventual Leoprd crew, maybe the Patriot if I go down the US heavy line.

Old age I guess. 

Don't buy any tank that is always available for sale. Wait for WG to release tanks that are obviously overpowered and only sold once in a lifetime.

Otherwise after spending money on those weaker tanks, then when the OP tanks appear, you will feel like you have wasted money.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #45 Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60596 battles

View Post0__lol__0, on 06 August 2017 - 08:36 AM, said:

I bought the Pudel the other night, and it's honeymoon has been great so far. The panther M10 I don't have, but limited MM sounds great..

Considering the Pudel is the same as a Panther M10 except the HP of a tier 7, the Panther M10 is the one with negative premium MM.

OTOH for people marked by skill-based MM, they would rather have more HP in the tier 8 games that they get 97.5% of the time.

Edited by Bluefunk, 06 August 2017 - 09:22 AM.

0__lol__0 #46 Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

First lieutenant

• 10888 battles

Hi Ezz, I get the first paragraph, but the second is over my head. Skill based MM? 

The Pudels HP was the selling point for me. Is that what you mean? I think it has 840, which is huge at tier 6, and 150 pen is great too. 

0__lol__0 #47 Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

First lieutenant

• 10888 battles
Oh, I think I get it, the M10 has 1300 HP which is good for tier 7, which is better for playing at tier 8 than other tier 7 tanks...as long as you have the skills.

Edited by 0__lol__0, 06 August 2017 - 09:34 AM.

Ensign_Brendoonigan #48 Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

Sergeant

• 2264 battles

TBH O_lol_O I had never played a derp gun before I got to 100 games in the M4 and I only tried it as a last resort. The inaccuracies of them tend to work against my playstyle, however it was only when i started to use the derp did I start getting any decent games in her. I've worked my way back from a 26% wr to 40% in her but it doesn't look like I can get it any higher now as I've sadly never won 2 games in a row with her. MM and RNG seriously trolls me at tier 5.... My tier 4's do okay against tier 6's and my tier 6's seem to do okay against 8's. Although playing my M42-57 as my first premium at tier 6 was being rather hopeful. She sure ain't no front line assault vehicle... lol

Ensign

I remember the good old days where I had ping below 120...... It feels so long ago.

Leopard 1 (VK30.01D), M48 Patton (unlocked M4AE2 & 8), FV215B (Caernarvon), TVP 50/51 (Skoda T25), Kranvagn (STRV M42), Chinese line (Type T-34) 

Ensign_Brendoonigan #49 Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Sergeant

• 2264 battles

Meant to ask. Whats a good hit rate I should be working towards? 

My Damage ratios and destruction ratios are all improving but I'm thinking I still need to address the hit rate.

Ensign

0__lol__0 #50 Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

First lieutenant

• 10888 battles

Hmm, hit rate is very misleading. You can hit 100% of 4 shots, or 50% of 10. I'll take the later.

The general advice is to shoot a lot. Even when you think they isn't much chance, just fire. Unless you are in a limited ammo tank, but even then, I'd rather run out than not take every shot I can.

I'm passing that advice on from unicums I've watched/ read. 

I blind fire a lot too. Especially because I know the maps well, if I'm spotted, I know where from mostly. It works 100% of the time, 1/3 of the time.

As they say, you miss 100% of the shots you don't fire.

I find it's also a good psyche-out. Hitting a tank you can't pen, still has the effect of making the average numpty think twice.

Edited by 0__lol__0, 06 August 2017 - 12:54 PM.

0__lol__0 #51 Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

First lieutenant

• 10888 battles

Regarding tier 5. Despite my bravado, I've noticed the same thing...tier 5 is much tougher with the new MM. Especially with the T34-85m running at plague numbers.

The m4 was never a favorite of mine. Just too tall and with trash armour for most maps. The T34 is probably the best at 5. Followed by the Pz3/4. With all the equipment, it can get stock tier 10 dpm. IIRC mine runs around 2700 dpm. Maybe it 2600.  And that's without a BIA crew. I've not been mean enough to do that, ...yet.

I don't think anyone can consistently win bottom tier all the time. Even at full gold it's hard to make that much difference. I've tried. 

The message, loud and clear, it get to tier 9/10! Otherwise it bottom tier for you!

Ensign_Brendoonigan #52 Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

Sergeant

• 2264 battles
Wow, 6 games in tonight and yet to have 1 game as top tier. Majority being tier 6's and everyone's a loss owing to higher tiered incompetence. This is starting to get ridiculous, there's 14k on yet I still have no chance. When do I start getting some luck? At that amount it should be every 2 games surely.

Ensign

MagicalFlyingFox #53 Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 24807 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

6? That's a mild one :P

My highest streak got over 20 at one point. Don't ask why i kept playing, I stopped caring after about 5 and from 10, the cynical "How much more longer is this going to take" took over. 

Ensign_Brendoonigan #54 Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

Sergeant

• 2264 battles

lol, I hear you. on 7 I finally got top tier and got 6 kills... it still doesn't come close to making up for the pointless earlier games though.

hahaha, next 7 game, all tier 6 bottom tiers and top tiers just constantly failing on my side. so 14 games, 1 top tiered with me carrying it and 2 out of 13 wins as bottom tier... hahaha, need to remind myself why I like this game...

My first non top tiered game win was after 12 matches.... seriously it took 12 games before I got a team which could win a game. 

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan, 06 August 2017 - 07:42 PM.

Ensign

Ensign_Brendoonigan #55 Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

Sergeant

• 2264 battles

I've given up. It's clear MM hates me with a vengeance as over the last week I've been on the receiving end of non stop team failures.

All up this evening I've had 17 games, 3 wins, 14 bottom tiered games with only 1 of them being a victory. How's that for MM at it's finest with there being 14.5k players online. Looks like I shouldn't play tier 4 either as I can't even get 20% WR at tier 4. My Lago's 56% WR has been smashed to 51%. Can't catch a break at tier 5, tier 4 has now been ruined to me, what's left. Sadly my normal WR after this weekends match ups has been devastated to below 49.5% from 50.5%. So the question is, who really is in control of your WR these days as in the space of a few days I've lost 2 weeks worth of gain simply because the higher tiered players have no ability to do there part in the match.  

But what I just can't get over is the frequency of being bottom tier in this game. No wonder the high tiers have such poor game play as bottom tiers are always being trounced on. I don't think any high tiered player has the right to complain about the lack of  players abilities as to be honest it doesn't seem to me to be the players problem. It's the MM which forces you to get up the tiers as quickly as possible. In a lot of instances well before they're ready for the higher tiers but hay who enjoys being picked on in game every game. 

Anyway I guess what it's saying is that after 1400 games I'm really only good enough for tier 1. Now that's depressing and I'm going to have to have a hard think about what I do now. 

Wow, I guess WoT just lost out on any future sales from me, no way would I recommend anyone invest into the game as it currently is. You have no real control over WR, and playing bottom tier every game is just demoralising to the max.

I wonder if WG even thinks about new players? 

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan, 07 August 2017 - 03:12 AM.

Ensign

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #56 Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60596 battles

With the new MM, being top tier is a state of mind, and no longer the actual tanks.

Ensign_Brendoonigan #57 Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

Sergeant

• 2264 battles

Nice result Bluefunk. I have to admit that when I see one of those KV-220's on my team I back the player up as much as possible. It's a great heavy.

I'm at the stage now where I'm either in the top half of the team or I've been one shotted. (thankfully no where near as often as when I first started). However my ability and crews skills just aren't high enough to get my tier 4 or 5's to carry the team. (either out played, out dpm'd, out spotted or rushed by 3-4 tanks). Generally games are over within 3-4 minutes one way or another which doesn't feel like it gives sufficient time to get results. I definitely don't expect to win 80, 70 or 60%, I'm realistic about results, but 50% is fairly realistic at this stage. What I got in those 17 games defies all improbabilities as I could have been AFK and got better results. 

The more I see how lower ties play, the more I see why so many players buy these tier 8 premiums (which everyone complains about), or the player rushes up the tiers without caring about there results. But more importantly why WG feels they need to put the OP tier 8's in game. Is it really clever marketing by WG for sales or a way they're trying to combat the gameplay issues. Make the players spend real money to try and get off being at the bottom of the food chain and to give them some chance to feel victories. It definitely not how it should be done as it doesn't teach the players anything, but it is easier for them to do this than and make money than try to improve the playing abilities of players.

Besides at the end of the day they're a business and need to make money.

NB: I still can't get over how some of these tanks got passed through ST, aren't they tested in general play first?

However this is a new week and I'm not going to dwell on my lousy MM results from last week as I don't want that frustration to carry into this week. 

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan, 07 August 2017 - 06:33 AM.

Ensign

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #58 Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:29 AM

Major

• 10702 battles

It's because of the Tier 8's that the Lower Tiers have decended into shit.

Your Tech tree Tier 8's are outclassed by Premiums, and Gold and Many players have slid down the Tiers to Avoid Tier 8 at all costs.

I'm quickly losing interest in the Game, and my Kids in the lower Tiers are especially losing interest due to Seal Clubbers Spewing SPREM and Every and Anything, making it hard for them to compete.

How can WOWS seem to have got it so right, and WOT seems to have got it so wrong?

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #59 Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60596 battles

View PostInglorious_Aussie_Tanker, on 07 August 2017 - 06:29 AM, said:

It's because of the Tier 8's that the Lower Tiers have decended into shit.

Your Tech tree Tier 8's are outclassed by Premiums, and Gold and Many players have slid down the Tiers to Avoid Tier 8 at all costs.

I'm quickly losing interest in the Game, and my Kids in the lower Tiers are especially losing interest due to Seal Clubbers Spewing SPREM and Every and Anything, making it hard for them to compete.

How can WOWS seem to have got it so right, and WOT seems to have got it so wrong?

WoT balance was okay in the beginning. When having a tier 8 meant being top tier against 3 other tier 8, and tier X battles consisted of 7 tanks including tier 8, a few tier 10, and a tier 9 Batchat. When [PAKU] still existed and WG staff drove Type 59s.

What killed the balance is too many people in the endgame state compared to new players. Being able to buy OP tier 8 made it worse; previously them sucking more than silver tanks meant some amount of control.

WoWs is still in the early playerbase grinding phase. Perhaps progress is slow because it isn't as popular as tanks.

southerner #60 Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Captain

• 9837 battles
  • [2MEKE] 2MEKE

I feel for you. Its a well known fact that a lot of new (ish) light tank drivers drive off and shoot at the first thing that they see. The whole idea of a light tank is that it can advance with full camo intact and forward scout and spot for their team, but somehow that lesson doesn't sink in until they have played a few thousand games. 

What you could do is look at some of the youtube vids on the art of scouting and become an experienced light tank driver yourself and spot for your team. This game is crying out for GOOD light tank drivers. But in saying that you will get plenty of inexperienced players calling you noob because you are not doing what they think light tanks should do. A lot of players don't realise that you get 50% of your team mates kill damage from you lighting up tanks for them. Best game i had was on fiery salient ranked battle with 9800 spotting damage. So just from spotting i was in the top 3 of team at the end of game, so spotting really really counts.

LIGHT TANKS ARE THE TEAMS EYES.

Edited to say, its cheap spotting because you don't need to shoot gold or silver to spot ;)

Edited by southerner, 07 August 2017 - 08:16 AM.

indignatio regis nuntii mortis et vir sapiens placabit ea 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users