Team Matching

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

agingtanker #1 Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

Staff sergeant

• 13087 battles
Does the team matching system go 'off' every now and then?  I have just had 5 matches in a row where the matchups were completely one sided, a couple of examples -  1 KV-1 and 1 Type 95 v 4 KV-1's and 1 other  tier 5 HT and another match where we had 3 Tier 5 SPG's and the enemy had 3 Tier 7 SPG's, all our HT's - mix of tier 5 and 6 were artied to death without even getting a shot off on the enemy HT's.  I have no doubt that we likely had better LT's, MT's and TD's so yes overall things were balanced, but what is one supposed to do in these situations where we are obviously outmatched in the class we enter the battle in?

Ezz #2 Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 56362 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Define 'every now and then'.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

agingtanker #3 Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

Staff sergeant

• 13087 battles
When it becomes noticeable/"obvious" and typically results in a 15/0 result (I've been equally on both sides of these matches).  I tend to 'lemming' to the 'usual' game play for a given map for the type of tank I am in so when the balance is destroyed by the matching I am at a loss as to what one should do.  So I can imagine that I come up with a new game play which assumes I know all the characteristics of all tanks in at least the 3 tiers in the match and then hope everyone else does the same thing!

Ezz #4 Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 56362 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Some battles aren't winnable. That's just how it is. Do your best then move on to the next and put it behind you. As to the frequency of the landslides, suffice to say I suspect you're perhaps overstating how often you get them, but then that might bee a tier thing.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

0__lol__0 #5 Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

First lieutenant

• 11002 battles

The MM does work if there were more players adjusting to what each match up means for them. Unfortunately, most roll out to exactly the same spots in every game, some because they haven't thought about it, some because they don't want to buck the "meta", and some..well I'm guessing from my motivations...I don't know.

Plenty of perfectly winnable games are thrown away in the first 30 seconds as players roll out to completely silly match ups.

Eg, the enemy has 2 type 4s, we have a leopard PTA, and a centurion 7/1.  And some TDs or lights top tier.

The best play is to basically avoid the type 4s, force them to do things that that tank sucks at. 

But what happens is two numpties in T8s go to the normal spot and throw their tanks away. The TDs instead of setting up to catch the type 4s as the roll victoriously through the field, are too busy fighting a single T43 over the other side...

Instead, of thinking how can I be useful, players seem to act as if the game is already over as soon as some weird MM comes up.

Gold Brother, glorious gold.

rubbish_tanker #6 Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

Corporal

• 470 battles

Yes, I am coming to the conclusion I have moved up to tier 7 too quick and just 'botted' my way through matches to get coin and XP thinking that I will do better with higher tier tanks.  Of course this is not the case.  If you can't do well at tier 2 you won't do any better at tier 8 or 10.

Although I do understand the mechanics of the game, thinking/planning/strategizing is not part of my gameplay and I 'lemming' to the spots the 'experts' say the tank type should go.  When the game matching is 'normal' and evenly spread across tiers I do very well (survive the match and get more than 1000 XP).  When it's not I tend to die very quickly with 0 damage and a resultant low 2 digit XP.

So, what to do about it.....  Well I have stopped using my original account and created a new account in which I will remain in Tiers 1, 2 and 3, playing the bulk of games in tier 2.  At that level there is no even matchup and turn out to be a mixture of whatever is available (skill level and tank types) so you have to start thinking about what you are going to do and how.  (It is amazing the number of people are using the M2 light with 20mm gun and only using ACPR ammo.  Playing WoT must be costing them a fortune.)  In any case I have come to the realisation that I will only be an average player at best.  I can't compete with people with quicker reaction times/better hand eye co-ordination than me - and there are a lot of them and I always lose at the corner/poking fights because of these limitations so am choosing my niche in the support/sniping game - not artillery - and have become quite adept at hitting moving targets even at long ranges.

Edited by rubbish_tanker, 03 August 2017 - 06:36 AM.

0__lol__0 #7 Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

First lieutenant

• 11002 battles

Rubbish Tanker, I've been doing something similar at tier 3. Basically, you have to think very quickly to win. I'm hardly a seal clubber at the moment, but that in itself is instructive. If I can't "club" reliably at tier 3, then why expect more at tier 9?

I can and do club seals, yet I also often lose for the same reasons I lose at higher tiers, over committed, trading hp too early, poor map awareness, crap gunnery...

Learning the basics that I could have done the first time...

Tracking tanks reliably is a big one. Reading the battle in time to react. Playing to the team, using their positions to help me. All the stuff the unicums talk about and do. Without the repair bills... :)

Edited by 0__lol__0, 06 August 2017 - 09:46 AM.

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #8 Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Major

• 10710 battles

Is it "Seal Clubbing" if you DON'T use SPREM?

My Young Kids are playing in that end of the pool, and it USED to be Fun.  Almost ANY Tank could Damage another without SPREM, and being able to show my Kids "Tricks" (Aiming) to score kills was good.

Of late being Wrecked by M2's Spewing SPREM or B2's doing the same is depressing and sucking the fun out it.

If WG were interested in NEW players in ANYTHING other than Tier 8 they might want to look at the Usage of SPREM in the lower Tiers and the effect it's having.

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

0__lol__0 #9 Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

First lieutenant

• 11002 battles

Yeah, it's pretty much gg in a lot of tanks when the dedicated Sprem is out in force.

Saw a B2 player with the user name "sealclubberz" last night. His Sprem was better than my Sprem by a shot.

Got clubbed.

They should increase the training ground battle count IMO.

What is it now? 100? That's not much "training" before newbies have to "go over the top".

Good fathering by the way Inglorious, it's important to teach kids that money means winning early. I had a "turn the other cheek" up bringing, and highly don't recommend that.

Seriously though, it's pretty ripe that WG actively encourages seal clubber players.

It's like setting HALO to "expert" as default. How is that going to encourage anyone to play?

Inglorious_Aussie_Tanker #10 Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

Major

• 10710 battles

Thanks, the good Wife might disagree with the good parenting, but thanks all the same.

Vote NOW, to Wall up the Lakeville Valley Pass.

So Many Idiots.

So little Shells.

agingtanker #11 Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:33 AM

Staff sergeant

• 13087 battles

View Post0__lol__0, on 10 August 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

Yeah, it's pretty much gg in a lot of tanks when the dedicated Sprem is out in force.

Saw a B2 player with the user name "sealclubberz" last night. His Sprem was better than my Sprem by a shot.

Got clubbed.

They should increase the training ground battle count IMO.

What is it now? 100? That's not much "training" before newbies have to "go over the top".

Good fathering by the way Inglorious, it's important to teach kids that money means winning early. I had a "turn the other cheek" up bringing, and highly don't recommend that.

Seriously though, it's pretty ripe that WG actively encourages seal clubber players.

It's like setting HALO to "expert" as default. How is that going to encourage anyone to play?

Proving ground - it's 10 not 100.  10 Battles and your out.  AND the stats earned in the proving ground should not count since you are just shooting against bots in general.  I recently created a new account and easily achieved 1000+ XP every game in the tier 1 tanks but where it counts (against real players) I can only achieve 200-300 XP average.

I can't complain about the MM of late as my Win/Loss has continued to climb (54% average for the last week of 260 games or so noting that Wotabs and the WoT app stats do not match but that the WoT App stats are more up to date) but my performance in those matches has not improved (<8% survival rate, little damage caused)  but I am using my consumables to last an extra 30 seconds - 1 minute.  Maybe that's the difference - 'distract' the enemy fire just that little bit longer so people who know what they are doing can finish the job!

Edited by dhi67540, 11 August 2017 - 05:37 AM.

agingtanker #12 Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

Staff sergeant

• 13087 battles
Well today they have got the MM way, way wrong.  Last battle, enemy had 2 x E100's and our 'heaviest hitters' were Tier 8 Heavies that were 2 shot kills for the E100's.  The enemy team just lined up behind the E100's and my entire team was destroyed inside 3 minutes 15-0.

Ensign_Brendoonigan #13 Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

Sergeant

• 2849 battles
  • [AQUAS] AQUAS

I regularly found my Churchill 7 was our teams top tiered heavy in tier 7 and 8 games, with the opfor having tier 7 and 8 heavies.

It's rough as you put up a good fight (minimal damage though as all you're really doing is holding them back)  but go down withh minimal return whilst the rest of the team either camps or fail on the flanks yet get more XP by farming off your hard work but eventual demise.

Yeah

Ensign

Team, ah Team, where's my team!

Leopard 1 (VK30.01D), FV215B (Caernarvon), Chinese lines (T34-1, 110 & 59-16). 

0__lol__0 #14 Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

First lieutenant

• 11002 battles

View Postdhi67540, on 11 August 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

Proving ground - it's 10 not 100.  10 Battles and your out.  AND the stats earned in the proving ground should not count since you are just shooting against bots in general.  I recently created a new account and easily achieved 1000+ XP every game in the tier 1 tanks but where it counts (against real players) I can only achieve 200-300 XP average.

I can't complain about the MM of late as my Win/Loss has continued to climb (54% average for the last week of 260 games or so noting that Wotabs and the WoT app stats do not match but that the WoT App stats are more up to date) but my performance in those matches has not improved (<8% survival rate, little damage caused)  but I am using my consumables to last an extra 30 seconds - 1 minute.  Maybe that's the difference - 'distract' the enemy fire just that little bit longer so people who know what they are doing can finish the job!

Exactly!

Sometimes when I "win" I've done nothing more than distract a few players long enough for the real good guys, or just the heavy hitters to do there thing.

Just being that annoying cross fire when you are bottom tier can make that difference.

Butterfly effect and all of that. I do try to think like that when arty seems obsessed by me. "Atleast they aren't focussing they players with the big guns".

Though lately I've sort of given up, until last night when I got the Cent AX. Watch out numpties!

Col_Otto #15 Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

Private

• 7264 battles

I've been playing for a few months now and had about 6K battles - and I am struggling to hold a 45% win rate. Seems to be that with the random matching I am always one of the worse players (according to stats) end up in the lowest tier most of the time and when I do well the team loses and when I do badly the team wins. Then post game I am receiving abusive messages - Noob, coward, you suck, uninstall WOT etc.

My reflexes aren't as sharp as when I was 15 - I'm 62 now - so I accept the fact I will never be an Ace player -so my question is :

If the MM system seems to always place you at a disadvantage - what the heck do you do ?

I can't seem to make any progress of late and I am starting to go backwards in a hurry and I am getting a bit weary from all the crap from other players.

Maybe I should just try another game !

0__lol__0 #16 Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

First lieutenant

• 11002 battles

It's a tough crowd for sure!

The things that suck are such a long list that I wonder why I'm not playing another game.

I'll look up your tanks and see if anything stands out.

0__lol__0 #17 Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:13 AM

First lieutenant

• 11002 battles

It looks like tank selection is an issue. 

You are driving a lot of mediums, and for some reason driven a lot of battles in one of the worst heavies in the game as well.

Lights especially, but also mediums require a lot of good reaction times, positioning skills, and general gameplay know how.

You have driven next to nothing in the Tank destroyer class, which is generally more forgiving than everything else except SPGs.

Why not give tank destroyers a go?

Also, make sure you have all the equipment on the tank, and correct crew skills. There is a lot to being good, or at least not completely sucking, that is all about what you do in the garage before you push battle. That includes reading up on the tanks you are fighting, what armour values, reload times, penetration values, etc. 

If you don't know what you are fighting, you will lose before you begin.

agingtanker #18 Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

Staff sergeant

• 13087 battles

View PostCol_Otto, on 28 August 2017 - 10:38 PM, said:

I've been playing for a few months now and had about 6K battles - and I am struggling to hold a 45% win rate. Seems to be that with the random matching I am always one of the worse players (according to stats) end up in the lowest tier most of the time and when I do well the team loses and when I do badly the team wins. Then post game I am receiving abusive messages - Noob, coward, you suck, uninstall WOT etc.

My reflexes aren't as sharp as when I was 15 - I'm 62 now - so I accept the fact I will never be an Ace player -so my question is :

If the MM system seems to always place you at a disadvantage - what the heck do you do ?

I can't seem to make any progress of late and I am starting to go backwards in a hurry and I am getting a bit weary from all the crap from other players.

Maybe I should just try another game !

Been there often.  My solution - go back to the lower tiers (you seemed to do OK in tier 4).  I created a second account and started over in tier 1-5.  That account is for nothing but Tier 2-5 battles now and if I see myself slipping in my 'proper' account I just switch back to the other and try to improve/reinforce the skills I lack.

So can we assume that you have/are training and skilling your crews, you mod your tanks and you carry and use consumables?

I would also suggest 6k battles in a few months is way too many and you may be doing what I did - what effectively amounts to 'botting' to grind to higher tiers.  Do note that your skills and win/loss rate will not improve simply by going to higher tiers.

Edited by agingtanker, 29 August 2017 - 08:06 AM.

agingtanker #19 Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

Staff sergeant

• 13087 battles

View Post0__lol__0, on 29 August 2017 - 12:13 AM, said:

It looks like tank selection is an issue.

You are driving a lot of mediums, and for some reason driven a lot of battles in one of the worst heavies in the game as well.

Lights especially, but also mediums require a lot of good reaction times, positioning skills, and general gameplay know how.

You have driven next to nothing in the Tank destroyer class, which is generally more forgiving than everything else except SPGs.

Why not give tank destroyers a go?

Also, make sure you have all the equipment on the tank, and correct crew skills. There is a lot to being good, or at least not completely sucking, that is all about what you do in the garage before you push battle. That includes reading up on the tanks you are fighting, what armour values, reload times, penetration values, etc.

If you don't know what you are fighting, you will lose before you begin.

Too true.  It was an absolute joy last night being in a Tier 6 MT v a Tier 7 HT, Tier 6 HT and Tier 6 MT corner battling, taking out the 2 heavies (because I knew where to aim) and 1/2 the HP on the medium before I eventually went down (and I had an O-I 'supporting' me with 0 damage and the inability to do any damage to the opposition when he did actually choose to fire on them.  In fact after I died he refused to move up until an ELC-bis went forward around the corner and spotted for him and then he went down to the 1/2 HP tier 6 MT without doing any damage to it!  It was very sad to watch but we did win the battle.

Another thing I recommend is record your battles then review them immediately after the battle has ended - (NOT you dying).  What you remember happened and what actually happened are very often 2 very different things and you will learn a lot - trust me.

Edited by agingtanker, 29 August 2017 - 08:34 AM.

0__lol__0 #20 Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

First lieutenant

• 11002 battles

It's classic WoT disease. "If I can just get this tank, I will do better". Everyone has it at some stage.

I did it with the Cromwell and T34-85. Thought I would get better, but actually got worse.

I didn't have sixth sense, any equipment, and had no idea about vision. I kept thinking it was the matchmaker etc, but it was always just me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users