Grinding new Tanks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

agingtanker #1 Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:21 AM

Staff sergeant

• 13169 battles
So what is the 'proper' strategy for grinding new tanks.  It has occurred to me that as I move to each new tier my performance in each game for those new tanks takes a major dive until I have got enough XP to research all the tanks 'add ons' and get used to how the tanks themselves perform  ie a new Tier 6 tanks with default tier 5 turret, engine and gun can't cut it in a tier 7/8 match.  Do you grind them or just leave them and wait till you get enough free research to cover the improvements.

_Sammich_ #2 Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:02 AM

Major

• 26529 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Use free XP to research the modules, particularly the upgraded gun.  In some cases you may need to research the tracks and turrets first.  Radio can be left to last. And possibly engine depending on the tank,

Don't use free XP to skip to the next tank.
Trust no one, unless you have eaten much salt with them - Cicero

JimmyJim #3 Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 49959 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

View Postdhi67540, on 31 July 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

So what is the 'proper' strategy for grinding new tanks.

If win rates is important to you. Then most of these people will probably free exp these modules on the stock tanks and play it without any stock modules.

If win rates is not important to you. Then you can just grind the tank stock to free up all the tank modules.

If you are rich, there is an option that you can convert exp that you have grind in elited/premium tanks using gold you get from CW, Premium shop, etc........ and use these converted free exp to free up the tank modules in the new tank.

There is really no proper strats to grinding up any tanks.

But if possible, do try to get 6th sense for your tank commander for tank tier higher than 6 because it can be quite brutal if you are spotted without 6th sense in the higher tier and the credit loses can be quite bad especially if you are grinding these tanks stock.

For me I just grind it stock trying my best to clear 2x or 3x or 4x or 5x on these stock tanks and slowly free up the tank modules. But still because it is a stock tank, even getting a win need lot of luck hoping your team carry you or you are top tier that has a good enough stock gun that can pen your targets, etc...........

Edited by JimmyJim, 31 July 2017 - 09:57 AM.

Frosty2 #4 Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

Sergeant

• 22243 battles
  • [-2AR-] -2AR-

Platooning with friends helps with the stock grinds as well, you might not get any more damage but winning becomes easier.

Also a lot more fun

Flying_Elite #5 Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

Always blame Hema!

• Forum Moderator
  • 24423 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

Having every module (besides radio) is generally the best way to grind a tank, with a few exceptions in regards to guns like the stock gun on the SU-152 being better than every other one

Spoiler

Facebook | Youtube | Flying_Elite Forum Thread | WotLabs Stats | Best Ambush Skills Asia

3 MoE: Crusader

2 MoE: AMX 1390, Skorp G, T-34-3, T-34, T67, M53/M55, WZ-131, STRV m/42-57

NICE MEME

Matt_B #6 Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

Staff sergeant

• 14825 battles

Before splashing your free exp on the top gun have a look at the stats for the stock and intermediate guns, as some of them are far more workable than others. For instance, the 57mm on the T-34 is much more accurate and faster-firing than the top 76mm, while only losing out slightly in terms of penetration and alpha.

In most cases though, you'll still want to get the top gun as soon as possible.

jessica_raven #7 Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Captain

• 17587 battles
Ive never yet skip a stock grind, most of them are ok, minus few that I strongly suggest you skip them. Amx12T/13-75, and SU-14-1 are 3 tanks that you should keep those xp for. Some like borsig, Leo PTA, T44, and IS are very good even as stock, dont spend free xp on them if you on tight budget.

Edited by jessica_raven, 01 August 2017 - 04:56 PM.

''I'll do it tomorrow'', thats wat I said. 10 yrs later, tomorrow never came,

and I forgot to live my live...

agingtanker #8 Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:47 AM

Staff sergeant

• 13169 battles

View PostJimmyJim, on 31 July 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

If win rates is important to you. Then most of these people will probably free exp these modules on the stock tanks and play it without any stock modules.

If win rates is not important to you. Then you can just grind the tank stock to free up all the tank modules.

If you are rich, there is an option that you can convert exp that you have grind in elited/premium tanks using gold you get from CW, Premium shop, etc........ and use these converted free exp to free up the tank modules in the new tank.

There is really no proper strats to grinding up any tanks.

But if possible, do try to get 6th sense for your tank commander for tank tier higher than 6 because it can be quite brutal if you are spotted without 6th sense in the higher tier and the credit loses can be quite bad especially if you are grinding these tanks stock.

For me I just grind it stock trying my best to clear 2x or 3x or 4x or 5x on these stock tanks and slowly free up the tank modules. But still because it is a stock tank, even getting a win need lot of luck hoping your team carry you or you are top tier that has a good enough stock gun that can pen your targets, etc...........

Winrate is not important to me but seems to be the measure by which others treat me!  All my tanks are set to spend all XP on training so very little in the way of XP is generated for conversion.  I have found that you do have to play stock tanks differently - more camping and/or sniping.  With XVM running I have seen that when playing with others within my 'skill band' my winrate rises dramatically but there are many times when I get put in matches with players well above my skill level (even in the low tiers) and I die very quickly in these matches no matter what I do (even when camping.  Without 6th sense someone can see me and I get 1 shot arty'd or 1 shot killed by a tank 2 tiers above me).  It always annoys me being a bottom tier HT and getting 1 shot killed by a medium tank 2 tiers above me.

kickim #9 Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

First lieutenant

• 36331 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

use those xp boosters man, helps a lot.

I usually try to save up about 50k worth of free xp...before I start grinding a line.

for low tier(1-4) tanks, I can prolly skip entire tanks for 10k free xp. I dun bother w the crew at all.

for mid tier(5-7) tanks, i'll just spend 20k free xp to skip all the modules and play a fully upgraded tank to earn xp to unlock next tank.

I only keep the good and fun tanks, sell and dismiss (crew) the rest.

I only keep crews that have more than 1 skill, for retraining to higher tier tanks later in the line.

for tier 8 or 9, 50k free xp prolly just enough to skip 2 modules, then use boosters for the rest.

with 2 modules upgraded, the grind isn't that bad... dosen't take too long to get enough xp for the 3 or 4th module especially w boosters.

you can actually get a rough estimate, if you are averaging 500xp a game, then 20games will get u 10k xp.

0__lol__0 #10 Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

First lieutenant

• 11002 battles

Save up the silver and get equipment on them from the start. If nothing else, have binocs and a net always in your depot to mount until you can afford a rammer.

Even getting vents on a stock tank helps, and being the cheapest of the important equipment, it's not hard to do.

Vent, binocs and net is my default stock set up until I have the coin for more applicable equipment. Unless it's a TD, in which case , job done.

The other consideration is to ask, "what is the worst thing about this tank?" The stock gun my be OK, but it's sluggish and can't turn. Go for tracks and engines. 

The other thing mentioned above is also important, sometimes the "top gun" is actually worse.

I found that out the hard way on the IS. The tier 7 gun works better than the top gun. Why? The lack of armour means it can't take a hit while reloading, sidescrape all you like, they are going to pen the "shoulders" of the hull.

So, like the T34, the second gun is better than the top gun because it suits the way you have to play the tank.

Edited by 0__lol__0, 01 August 2017 - 04:21 PM.

Gold Brother, glorious gold.

Matt_B #11 Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

Staff sergeant

• 14825 battles

Vents are cheap for mediums, lights and some TDs, but one of the most expensive pieces of equipment for heavies since they take the class 3 ones. Since a lot of mid tier heavies can fit a medium rammer, that might be the better investment for them if credits are tight.

I tend to bulk buy the useful equipment - vents, rammer, optics, EGLD and vertical stabilizer - whenever there's a sale on, so I can kit out a new tank with the best options straight away. Binocs and camo nets still have their uses though, and even a few toolkits are worth having to rotate around crews where the repair skill is a work in progress.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users