TD1 Blog: World of Tanks Perspective

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

TD1 #1 Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8816 battles

Following in the footsteps of Sir__British, I've decided to start my own blog down here on the Gameplay Section. I'll also use this as a replay posting thread if I had something cool to share with you guys.

First off, I'd like to thank Storm's thread of improvement and the players there for helping me to get where I am when I wrote this. Without his help, as well as theirs, I wouldn't have recovered Thursday's disastrously bad session (-0.1 percent to WR) in the span of two sessions. Of course, my battle count of only 7500 helped, but still, I feel much better now than I was when I started looking at my WR, which then was an abysmal 45.70%.

Moving on, I'm surprised on how hardy the T-150 is. During the first game I played in it in Thursday's disaster session, I did a shout-out to one of Sabaton's songs (the one about Simo Hayha specifically) which, sadly, no one got. I was on the map with the Hetzer bodies, the one set in Czechoslovakia. Half the enemy team headed for my direction, and I earlier took damage which downed me to about 65% health but I managed to hold off half the enemy team when they constantly bounced off my front armor, and I slowly picked them off with the 107mm gun. I only died when a Leo wised up and targeted my weakspots, but the damage had already been done- my team still won. I absorbed c. 2000 damage and dealt the same amount as well.

-I just elited the Skoda T-24. That tank was a [edited] to play because of the abysmal DPM (iirc the worst of all T5 meds), less-than-stellar gun handling (though with a 93% crew, that's pretty understandable; my tanks often run w/o 100% crew), and most of all, high profile+no armor. I literally got a WR of 42% in that tank, making it one of the tanks that I enjoy playing but am terrible in. 

- Does anyone think the 85mm D5S-85BM gun (a.k.a the best gun on the SU-85, as well as being used in the SU-100) needs a buff to it's pen on the SU-100? It only has 144 while the 100mm D10S and the 122mm D-2-5S on the SU-100 has 175, and I'd like to see SU owners including me choose between three guns; low alpha w/ good gun handling, jack-of-all-stats, or high alpha w/ bad gun handling.

- I could have bought the P. Victoria if it weren't so bloody expensive.

Sir_Direkin #2 Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:30 PM

Purveyor of Salt

• 10150 battles

View PostTD1, on 19 August 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

-I just elited the Skoda T-24. That tank was a [edited] to play because of the abysmal DPM (iirc the worst of all T5 meds), less-than-stellar gun handling (though with a 93% crew, that's pretty understandable; my tanks often run w/o 100% crew), and most of all, high profile+no armor. I literally got a WR of 42% in that tank, making it one of the tanks that I enjoy playing but am terrible in.

Ah haha! That Škoda T-24. I'm playing that right now as well (one of the 5 stock tanks I'm currently grinding, though it's currently the only one that's still quite stock). I have to say, being used to the reload speed of other tier Vs, that reload of over 5 seconds seemed a bit of a shock, especially seeing the alpha isn't that spectacular. It was like the reload speed of a tier V heavy tank's gun, but with the alpha slightly better than that of a typical medium. Currently have a crew about 60% through first skill on that (iirc). And yeah, it is pretty huge and gets penned by just about everything. Definitely not a tank to take to the front lines... anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: AMX 12t, KV-85, M6 Heavy, M24 Chaffee, T-34, T-50, T1 Heavy

TD1 #3 Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8816 battles

I just elited mine in yesterday's session, so maybe that's the difference. It's pretty fun though, zipping around at 55kph (max speed 58); it's almost as fast as a Cromwell, and gets a gun with excellent pen (132mm). I initially tried fitting it with a camo net but that didn't work cause of the crappy camo rating.

Then again, I also play the VK 30.01H, which also has a long-reload, high-pen gun (it has an absurd 165, meaning it can even pen O-I Experimentals head-on), so I'm supposed to have no trouble adjusting to it gun-wise.

TD1 #4 Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8816 battles
Double posting but whatever.

On the topic of premiums, I think premiums are either supposed to be underpowered compared to similar tier tech tree tanks, OR are supposed to play differently compared to tech tree tanks of similar nation and type

E.g:

-The HT No. VI, an accurate, slow glass cannon to contrast the Japanese HT's slow, derpy juggernauts.
- The AT-15A, featuring better armor but lacks the AT-7's side mounted gun (meaning you can't hide in cover and still shoot).
- The Dicker Max, featuring excellent gun depression rarely seen in German TDs (-15°!)

I dunno, its probably positive creative thinking on my part, as a 47er who can't yet think about things like WN8. I was optimistic that the Obj. 252U and (to a lesser extent) the Chrysler K GF weren't that bad (I did kill two Obj. 252U's after all)

Edited by TD1, 20 August 2017 - 01:13 PM.

Laserdisc #5 Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

First lieutenant

• 12503 battles

View PostTD1, on 20 August 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

On the topic of premiums, I think premiums are either supposed to be underpowered compared to similar tier tech tree tanks, OR are supposed to play differently compared to tech tree tanks of similar nation and type

E.g:

-The HT No. VI, an accurate, slow glass cannon to contrast the Japanese HT's slow, derpy juggernauts.
- The AT-15A, featuring better armor but lacks the AT-7's side mounted gun (meaning you can't hide in cover and still shoot).
- The Dicker Max, featuring excellent gun depression rarely seen in German TDs (-15°!)

I dunno, its probably positive creative thinking on my part, as a 47er who can't yet think about things like WN8. I was optimistic that the Obj. 252U and (to a lesser extent) the Chrysler K GF weren't that bad (I did kill two Obj. 252U's after all)

As a bad player, the Defender is by far the most annoying thing to fight against, being so low profile and because of how the armor is designed, even flanking it from the side I have to make sure to hit the right places or it has a chance of bouncing. Fighting it from the front is very difficult because the hull is mostly ricochet angle instead of just thick effective armor meaning the penetration values I have is irrelevant.

Sir_Direkin #6 Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Purveyor of Salt

• 10150 battles

View PostTD1, on 20 August 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

E.g:

I think in general it is the case that premiums are underpowered compared to their tech tree equivalents. It's like right now my main soviet MT crew is on the T-34/85, which when fully upgraded has a better turret, a better gun (more accurate and higher alpha), and better engine than the T-34/85M. The Obj 252U and Chrysler K are departures from that trend, which is why so many people have been pointing at them as prime examples of pay2win.

Dicker Max is like a mini Emil one tier down ;)

Edit:

Just an addendum, but it's really kinda funny that my T-34/85 crew can outspot a light tank of the same tier without getting spotted in return.

Edited by Sir_Direkin, 20 August 2017 - 05:49 PM.

TD1 #7 Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8816 battles

View PostSir_Direkin, on 20 August 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

I think in general it is the case that premiums are underpowered compared to their tech tree equivalents. It's like right now my main soviet MT crew is on the T-34/85, which when fully upgraded has a better turret, a better gun (more accurate and higher alpha), and better engine than the T-34/85M. The Obj 252U and Chrysler K are departures from that trend, which is why so many people have been pointing at them as prime examples of pay2win.

Dicker Max is like a mini Emil one tier down ;)

Edit:

Just an addendum, but it's really kinda funny that my T-34/85 crew can outspot a light tank of the same tier without getting spotted in return.

Well, hopefully those two T8 premium heavies are the last examples of this. What of the AMX M4 49 and the T26E5 though? Weren't they also cited as examples of pay2win?

Tbh I had to admit my two Defender kills were when it was sideways on towards me; one because the driver wasn't paying attention to me, one because he was busy engaging someone else.

Premiums are supposed to be in the middle of the "power level" trend; it goes: stock TT tank< premium tank< elited TT tank.

And yeah, Dicker Max= Mini Sturer Emil. They're like brothers! That's why I named it as such in my old Tank Nicknames Thread. 

I'm an average-bad player and I personally think that the IS series of tanks (especially the pike-nosed ones) are some of the toughest to fight against, especially frontally.

TD1 #8 Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8816 battles

Apparently, there's been a lot of T-34-85Ms lately. Is a special involving them currently in play, or is there something else I don't know?

I'm not sure with what premium to obtain now; Super Pershing, or Pudel, or Scorpion. I like the SP, but I already have a T25 Pilot to train American medium crews with, and it's the most expensive of the three. The Pudel, I'm not sure why but I have a feeling that I will likely praise it for being there to provide me with good crew when Polish tech tree is here (seriously, we need Italian, not Polish!). The Scorpion, that's for my Wolverine and Jackson crew, seeing that I need to stay grinding with these tanks for a while now.

Speaking of premiums, why did Wargaming remove many premiums from the ingame store/ premium shop (FCM36 PaK40, JT88, TOG II, 105LeFH18B2, etc etc)? I still remember when these tanks were still in the store and I don't know how to buy them (I didn't know of any online payments back then, and Paypal's a no-no because I don't have one even today) so I could only stare at them at the ingame store?

Laserdisc #9 Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

First lieutenant

• 12503 battles

View PostTD1, on 22 August 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Apparently, there's been a lot of T-34-85Ms lately. Is a special involving them currently in play, or is there something else I don't know?

https://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/game-events/specials-marathon-t-34-85/

As for what premium to obtain, personally I would just pick whichever seems most interesting, whichever would be most useful(for credit grinding or crew training), or just flip a coin.

Otakubouzu #10 Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

Major

• 15359 battles

View PostTD1, on 22 August 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

Speaking of premiums, why did Wargaming remove many premiums from the ingame store/ premium shop (FCM36 PaK40, JT88, TOG II, 105LeFH18B2, etc etc)? I still remember when these tanks were still in the store and I don't know how to buy them (I didn't know of any online payments back then, and Paypal's a no-no because I don't have one even today) so I could only stare at them at the ingame store?

Some of old premium removed because they are too good. 105LeF*ckB2 and E25 falls into this category.

Other like Ram II, T14 or TOGII? God know why. Maybe WG deliberately removed them so they can charge it with expensive bundle later.

Sir_Direkin #11 Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

Purveyor of Salt

• 10150 battles

View PostOtakubouzu, on 22 August 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Some of old premium removed because they are too good. 105LeF*ckB2 and E25 falls into this category.

Other like Ram II, T14 or TOGII? God know why. Maybe WG deliberately removed them so they can charge it with expensive bundle later.

Are you sure about that TOG II? I'm pretty sure I saw it on sale not long ago, or maybe I was thinking of something else...

And hey, on a side note I just noticed that on the Kharkov map you can hear Katyushas being fired in the background.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #12 Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:52 AM

Ambassador of silly strat

• 20906 battles
The sound are bit deep, I think its nebelwerfer.

They are rage, brutal without mercy. But you, you will be worse. Rip and tear until it is done.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #13 Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:57 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 69450 battles
  • [WAT] WAT

There are 5 types of premium tanks, from worst to best:

1. Seriously horribly bad. Some of them can be bought from the in-game tech tree, but many of them are so bad that they didn't even make it to the in-game tech tree. Usually given for free for various reasons.

2. The "normal" premium tanks. Or what used to be normal in the past. Weaker than a fully upgraded credit tank. Some of them are significantly weaker, but get preferential MM. Those they don't get preferential MM are still slightly weaker than credit tanks. Can be bought in-game using gold.

3. Premium tanks that are better than normal premium tanks. Comparable to typical credit tanks. Cannot be bought in-game but are usually available for purchase from premium shop.

4. Premium tanks that are better than the typical credit tanks. Most of them are comparable to the best of credit tanks that they are based on, which makes them more powerful than the horde of underpowered sh*t that WG keeps making and advertising but pointless because nobody ever plays 90% of the content. Not always available in premium shop, usually on sale for a short period of weeks before disappearing and reappearing the next year.

5. Ultimate bullsh*ttery - Tanks so hardcore their existence ruins game balance. Sold once and never again.

If you're using real life cash, don't buy anything from 2. and below. Try to wait for 4. or even 5., and only buying 3 if it really appeals to you for some reason or you need a tank now.

Puggsley #14 Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Captain

• 61712 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

View PostBluefunk, on 22 August 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

There are 5 types of premium tanks, from worst to best:

1. Seriously horribly bad. Some of them can be bought from the in-game tech tree, but many of them are so bad that they didn't even make it to the in-game tech tree. Usually given for free for various reasons.

2. The "normal" premium tanks. Or what used to be normal in the past. Weaker than a fully upgraded credit tank. Some of them are significantly weaker, but get preferential MM. Those they don't get preferential MM are still slightly weaker than credit tanks. Can be bought in-game using gold.

3. Premium tanks that are better than normal premium tanks. Comparable to typical credit tanks. Cannot be bought in-game but are usually available for purchase from premium shop.

4. Premium tanks that are better than the typical credit tanks. Most of them are comparable to the best of credit tanks that they are based on, which makes them more powerful than the horde of underpowered sh*t that WG keeps making and advertising but pointless because nobody ever plays 90% of the content. Not always available in premium shop, usually on sale for a short period of weeks before disappearing and reappearing the next year.

5. Ultimate bullsh*ttery - Tanks so hardcore their existence ruins game balance. Sold once and never again (except for the odd future sale event ;)).

If you're using real life cash, don't buy anything from 2. and below. Try to wait for 4. or even 5., and only buying 3 if it really appeals to you for some reason or you need a tank now.

ftfy

Otakubouzu #15 Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

Major

• 15359 battles

View PostSir_Direkin, on 22 August 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

Are you sure about that TOG II? I'm pretty sure I saw it on sale not long ago, or maybe I was thinking of something else...

I recall aforementioned premiums are 'retired' from in-game store and occasionally get sold again in premium store once in awhile.

So maybe you see they being sold in premium store. As usual.

View PostBluefunk, on 23 August 2017 - 03:57 AM, said:

5. Ultimate bullsh*ttery - Tanks so hardcore their existence ruins game balance. Sold once and never again.

...this thing exist?

TD1 #16 Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8816 battles
I know Type 1 premiums are things like the
Light Mk. VIc or the GroßTraktor. Type 2 are things like the T25 Pilot (slower acceleration compared to Pershing), Type 3 are like Cromwell B,  Type 4 E25 and Type 5 the infamous Obj.252U.

Where does the Super Pershing belong though?

Otakubouzu #17 Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

Major

• 15359 battles

View PostTD1, on 23 August 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

Where does the Super Pershing belong though?

Sounds like Type 2.

It got better armor than Pershing, but compensating that with mobility and the armor itself got some weakspots that can be penned frontally. The gun seems similar to Pershing's final gun.

...now think of it, it seems most of Pershing clone except T26E5 falls into Type 2. M26 KR, while not buyable from in-game store, is Persing with weaker mantlet. Its certainly not 'better' to be counted into Type 3.

TD1 #18 Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:30 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8816 battles

The SP plays like a heavy while the other Pershings are jack of all stats. Basically, a premium that has drastically different gameplay from the nation and type general playstyle.

Speaking of overpowered prems, I've never seen nor faced a Chrysler K GF in my 5-year playtime here. Maybe people just refuse to drive them?
I usually wait till tanks like the Chrysler K or Obj.252U turn their side or back on me, or they engage someone else, before I shoot them- basically, dirty fighting.

But man, teams now are tough. I have to fight tooth and nail to get a single win, and teams fold like card decks all too quickly these days. Something to do with the M22 Locust special perhaps?

Btw, I've decided to link my two older threads here:

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/71556-random-battle-shenanigans-thread/page__view__getnewpost = Random Battle Shenanigans Thread, where you can talk about random in-game mishaps, RNG or player caused, or whatever.

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/75401-td1-blog-world-of-tanks-perspective/page__fromsearch__1= Tank Nicknames Thread, where you can talk about unique nicknames you have for tanks.

Edited by TD1, 23 August 2017 - 05:37 PM.

Otakubouzu #19 Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

Major

• 15359 battles

View PostTD1, on 23 August 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

Speaking of overpowered prems, I've never seen nor faced a Chrysler K GF in my 5-year playtime here. Maybe people just refuse to drive them?

I usually wait till tanks like the Chrysler K or Obj.252U turn their side or back on me, or they engage someone else, before I shoot them- basically, dirty fighting.

On Chryslertank... Personally, 198mm penetration for a tier 8 premium who can see tier 10 is very, very off-putting. For comparison sake, its same like T32 heavy, who by some is regarded as 'in desperate need of love'. Not to mention WG attempt to can SirFoch for too be loud with his complaint about this tank is not helping.

And for Obj.252U... if you got good, accurate gun, aim for the cupola. Sure, its way better letting someone facing it so you can aim for its side or rear. But when you are in pinch, its better than nothing.

TD1 #20 Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8816 battles

View PostOtakubouzu, on 23 August 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

On Chryslertank... Personally, 198mm penetration for a tier 8 premium who can see tier 10 is very, very off-putting. For comparison sake, its same like T32 heavy, who by some is regarded as 'in desperate need of love'. Not to mention WG attempt to can SirFoch for too be loud with his complaint about this tank is not helping.

And for Obj.252U... if you got good, accurate gun, aim for the cupola. Sure, its way better letting someone facing it so you can aim for its side or rear. But when you are in pinch, its better than nothing.

While I personally think "Really, this Chrysler K GF is just an American Obj.252U with a worse gun", I have to say WG attempting to silence Foch for being too loud is not a wise move. Like that whole United Airlines debacle, where their decision to defend the action of evicting that passenger, instead of denying responsibility or apologizing just caused a huge backlash (because they essentially said that they don't have a problem with doing so to the rest of their customers). 

What, 198 pen and everyone's already using gold ammo? The T25 Pilot only gets 192 and has the same MM as the Chrysler K. I assume the K has shitty gun handling (I mean, the T25's gun handling is pretty good- it aims fast, has good accuracy and can pull off snapshots like no T8 premium medium can)?

Speaking of which, I hated their decision to make LT guns unique and not shareable with the other tanks; the MT-25's 57mm gun now can't be unlocked from the T-34, for instance. That was a pretty [edited] move considering I have to yet get into any of the LT lines (except German and I only stick to the Luchs).

Edited by TD1, 24 August 2017 - 12:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users