TD1 Blog: World of Tanks Perspective

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

CardinalMite #81 Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

First lieutenant

• 26805 battles

View Postjessica_raven, on 14 February 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Well, beating the shit out off other team are part of the game, and its just soft p2w, not total p2w. Since it wont make baddies a uni.

​No.. but the problem is it dumbs down the game and makes it more RNG dependent and less player skill dependent. RNG because the influence MM has on the outcome is heightened when it comes down to a roll of the dice whether the tier 8s (or insert tier you care about of choice) on your team versus the tier 8s on their team are the broken ones regardless of player skill.

Not completely of course but it is a further erosion of player skill being the major determination of who wins the match, along with 25% RNG on pen & damage and RNG on aim etc. etc.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #82 Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Ambassador of silly strat

• 21248 battles

View PostCardinalMite, on 17 February 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

If you look at plyr base in general, most of them need luck over skill to perform well. So increasing luck influence ingame actually benefit plyrbase the most than increasing skill value.

1940- In 2018, we will have flying cars.

2018- Tonk=lyfe, proven by scientist

CardinalMite #83 Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

First lieutenant

• 26805 battles

View Postjessica_raven, on 17 February 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

If you look at plyr base in general, most of them need luck over skill to perform well. So increasing luck influence ingame actually benefit plyrbase the most than increasing skill value.

That would only be true for any individual player if the increase in influence of RNG was always positive. Instead it just makes it harder for a player to get positive feedback from the game by increased win rate from doing good and improving tactical & strategic decisions. It will actually make it harder to improve as a player. 

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #84 Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

Ambassador of silly strat

• 21248 battles

View PostCardinalMite, on 17 February 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

That would only be true for any individual player if the increase in influence of RNG was always positive. Instead it just makes it harder for a player to get positive feedback from the game by increased win rate from doing good and improving tactical & strategic decisions. It will actually make it harder to improve as a player. 

Thats true for plyr going up above 55%, luck tend to drag them down. But below that, especially 46-48, luck drag them up, winning more game for them. If we look at bigger pic, its a good thing overall, since its benefit lots of plyr.

1940- In 2018, we will have flying cars.

2018- Tonk=lyfe, proven by scientist

Ezz #85 Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 65520 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
It benefits the masses at the expense of the competitive crowd. Depends what sort of game they are trying to make.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Puggsley #86 Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

Captain

• 63173 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

I'm not so sure luck really helps bad players that much.

The main reasons why they are bad are things which are not at all luck dependent;

• looking at minimap and understanding how to react
  • I'm in tank x - i have to go here
  • knowing when to exploit an opportunity
  • what tanks do the other side have and how do I respond to that.
  • map knowledge
  • weakpoint knowledge
  • spotting and camo mechanics

CardinalMite #87 Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

First lieutenant

• 26805 battles

View Postjessica_raven, on 17 February 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

Thats true for plyr going up above 55%, luck tend to drag them down. But below that, especially 46-48, luck drag them up, winning more game for them. If we look at bigger pic, its a good thing overall, since its benefit lots of plyr.

Not really, you might have a point with regards to RNG on what teams you get versus opposition on a macro level. But the RNG on individual actions won’t. It doesn’t matter if a noob occasionally gets  a lucky shot where they would high roll alpha or pen if they don’t know how to lead a shot. Or it does not matter if their shot goes dead centre on an inaccurate gun if they aren’t aiming at a weak spot. End of the day the odd damaging shot they get that they otherwise would not through luck is still just as prone to be adversely affected by bad luck pen/alpha/aim rolls. 

Either way I don’t see how this (increasing RNG) materially benefits the player base and I think it harms the game long term. 

TD1 #88 Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8893 battles

View PostTD1, on 14 February 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

In my opinion, the main gripe with WG's games is that no matter how well you do, WG will spit on you by making you get very low scores if your team loses. Gaijin, as dangerous as bringing it up in a WG forum may be, is at least nice enough to give us a decent score if we did well even if the team loses a WT match.

@Ezz: If you guys think facing a T8 "broken" premium with a T8-T10 tank is difficult enough, you haven't seen T8-max games where the T8 machines that were nuisances become absolute nightmares especially head-on.

Just going to repeat this, but I think there would be less griping about RNG screwing up wins if WG at least made an effort to acknowledge that you did well in spite of your team's loss. Instead, due to the actions of a few bad decisions, the whole team has to suffer from the loss. I can understand them for not counting the extra EXP per day win on a loss, but really? Dragging down people's scores?

TD1 #89 Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:28 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8893 battles

Long time no post, because I'm back to playing World of Tanks, however tentatively.

I've seen the M6A2E1 on sale, and the standard package is quite well within my reach (it's only a few thousand Rp more expensive than the cost at which I bought the SP). Should I get it?

TD1 #90 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:50 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8893 battles

I decided to go ahead and buy the Mutant 6, however my games in it have been quite difficult.

I've suffered at least 8 defeats in 10 battles in it, including one where an ELC EVEN 90 just stood there and did nothing to reset the cap while we were slaughtering all of the enemy team on the castle on Himmelsdorf. So far, I've pinpointed terrible camouflage as a primary weakness: The moment you get spotted in this thing, everyone proceeds to get crazy and slaughter you. Including, much to my wry amusement, artillery. 198 pen for a heavy tank is also quite anemic, and unlike the Foch Special Chrysler K, it does not have total frontal invulnerability unless you hulldown and show the bobble-head turret. Other shenanigans include getting killed by a T-54 due to bumrushing him, and a battle I lost but managed to complete the HT-15 mission on the StuG IV by absorbing damage alone. Srsly guys, stop trying to ding one of these things in the turret!

This month, my budget goes to PC Building Simulator and Ashes of the Singularity (the complete edition with DLCs and all that bells and whistles).

TD1 #91 Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8893 battles

Wow, the level of salt in this community can get disturbingly high. 

And I suspect most of it comes from the "serious business" people who hate things that allow a newbie to produce similar results to them (like arty and so-called low-skill-floor tanks). Like what happened in that other thread that mentioned SirFoch complaining about a tank with 57% WR that WG still calls balanced. Dunno if it's just me but I never want to throw a backdraft at WG everytime they do something, and like I mentioned in the other blog in WoWS, I don't buy into the OP accusations. Look, if you got owned by a tank, it more than not is likely your own fault and it would be best if you blamed it on yourself rather than anything/anyone else (if you do that, Storm told me, you'll never improve).

Sir_Direkin #92 Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

Purveyor of Salt

• 10980 battles
  • [VERTX] VERTX

View PostTD1, on 09 May 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

And I suspect most of it comes from the "serious business" people who hate things that allow a newbie to produce similar results to them (like arty and so-called low-skill-floor tanks). Like what happened in that other thread that mentioned SirFoch complaining about a tank with 57% WR that WG still calls balanced. Dunno if it's just me but I never want to throw a backdraft at WG everytime they do something, and like I mentioned in the other blog in WoWS, I don't buy into the OP accusations. Look, if you got owned by a tank, it more than not is likely your own fault and it would be best if you blamed it on yourself rather than anything/anyone else (if you do that, Storm told me, you'll never improve).

I take it you've not had to fight one of these things yet.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: A15 Crusader, AMX 12t, KV-85, M6 Heavy, M24 Chaffee, T-34, T-50, T1 Heavy, VK 16.02 Leopard

FramFramson #93 Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:47 PM

Major

• 40726 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST

View PostTD1, on 09 May 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

While this is true most of the time, it's no excuse to be blind to things which are blatantly inequal or manipulative.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

TD1 #94 Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8893 battles

View PostSir_Direkin, on 09 May 2018 - 06:44 AM, said:

I take it you've not had to fight one of these things yet.

I always try to find errors in my driving doctrine first rather than blame anything else, so there's that. I accept that if I die in battle, it's my own fault.

Then again I do not play any tier higher than 8 so maybe there's that. That and due to a disastrous streak in the past I'm down to 46.9% again.

@Fram: Its probably me trying to maintain a neutral perspective. To point, I personally think that while WG was wrong to react to the Foch scandal in such a way, if Foch had worded his criticism less harshly I can find it a lot easier to be on his side. As events dictate however, I refuse to take sides.

TD1 #95 Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8893 battles

Just found this in the Graf Zeppelin thread (yeah I know WOWS, yada yada yada but they're stil WG games so it's relevan). Lert's post nicely sums up my stance on the Foch-gate scandal (involving SirFoch, WG EU, the Chrysler K and lots of profanity).

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/134780-premium-ship-review-graf-zeppelin/?do=findComment&comment=3245566

Like I said once, it's okay to not like a company's product and take out harsh criticism on it, but make sure to:

1) Word it well. Don't make misunderstandings. The last thing needed from harsh criticism is misunderstandings.

2) PRESENT IT IN A CIVILIZED MANNER. Perhaps my main point. Had Foch kept all that raging in check it probably wouldn't be a scandal. He was like that before they made him CC? I call that a weak excuse. Just because you were born blunt and scathing (like I am in real life) doesn't mean you can't learn to keep it in check, especially in formal situations where it reflects badly. Doesn't help that his video includes "F*** WG" (iirc, correct me on this if I'm wrong), but really, that to me is just asking for trouble.

TD1 #96 Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:09 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8893 battles

I decide to be back to at least playing once daily after a long time of tentative attendances.

Playing at 75% crew level is annoying though- some of my crew is only in the 80s in training level, and their penalty on the abilities of the tank are annoying. I'd rather not stick around in the bushes without Sixth Sense in my M24, the Type T-34's aimtime becomes downright frustrating at that level, and the M41 HMC can't even aim half as fast with that crew. In short, trying to complete LT-14 and SPG-14 is a total pain in the arse right now. And I only need the LT and SPG missions to unlock the StuG IV (even though a T-34-85M and a T92 LT would serve me better as premiums to train crews).

I've also still suffered that old syndrome where I can't seem to do anything but drive a few hundred meters, get off 1-2 shots then get nuked by everyone on the other end. Frustrating. I'm striving to get better but I'm still down on luck.

There was also this hilarious moment when I was in my Skoda T24, and a T-34-100 on my team called me a noob for kemping bush at the top bush in Province (I and my team was in the southern side, and there's a rather high-placed bush a bit back from the base that overlooks the entire map). I ended up supporting his push east, surprising a kemping bush Jackson that was busy sniping (he didn't notice me till I shot him), and wound up collecting 1000 assist damage on top of 1-2 shots' worth of damage to my score. I finished third in EXP earned, above the guy that called me noob. It's always satisfying when the guy that calls you noob/[edited]/whatever gets beaten by you, esp. if he's last and you're first. It's also a reason I make being nice a high priority.

Enough of that- I'm back, and I'm still here after those times. Wish they would bring back Frontlines though, and hopefully this time we get a T5 and T6 version of that game mode.

TD1 #97 Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8893 battles

Quad posting, but hey, no one seemed to bother responding so what can we do?

I am going to need 6th sense on some of my tanks: the M24 Chaffee being the most critical of those. It is ridiculously hard to passive scout without that, as the moment I get spotted in a bush I tend to get instakilled. Because of this, trying to do LT-14 of StuG IV's campaign is a real pain in the arse, and because of this also, I've been eyeing the T92 LT to aid me in training the Chaffee crew. Though that can feel like dillematic, because the lack of 6th sense is even more terminal in tier 8 than it is in tier 5, and I'm not a good light tank driver in general. Maybe I should save up for the AMX 12t (I love autoloaders).

I also have a hard time doing SPG-14 due to my insistence on fully aiming every shot in an SPG (not something relied upon if said SPG is an M41 HMC with only 80% crew) and my preference for quick-firing small-caliber SPGs (particular favorites of mine include the Pz Sfl IVb due to its wide firing arc and the Bishop for being basically a slow FV304.)

Sadly, a disastrous streak of me dying without doing much contribution in my SU-100Y, as well as RNG being unkind to me last night in my WZ-120-1 FT (I keep missing/bouncing) has stymied my mood of playing this game. I am also running low on credits (only roughly 200 000) and garage space (I do not wish to sell my tier 2 Polish tank and my M15/42, but I can't grind them because virtually nobody plays the lower tiers), to the point that for now I will have to focus on playing premium tanks I have to earn money. Well at least the Dicker Max, SU-122-44 and Strv m/42-57 will get a fresh wind out of the dusty garage.

Another griveance of mine is the limitation of the Caernarvon AX mission to Tier 10 owners. Seriously, Wargaming, pay us at the lower tiers a bit of love, can you? You guys were kind enough to make tiers 5-6 (I forgot which) in World of Warships eligible for the Varyag marathon (which is why I now have one), so why not do it in World of Tanks sometime (sadly, I missed the T-34S marathon so the blame rests partially on my side).

On the positive side, I did improve my sidescraping. I tried it in the KV-1S, which worked well until a KV-85 with a 100mm gun killed me, and the Type T-34 against a Ke-Ho, which worked but the internet was not on my side at that time and I also got killed doing that. The best one of them all though was the T-150, which makes smaller guns cry with it's ability to sidescrape like a boss (and get some hurt in with the 300-alpha 107mm gun). It's a shame that it's a bit sluggish and the 107mm takes a long time to aim; there's also those pesky weakspots at the front that make it really hard to sidescrape facing forward.

Puggsley #98 Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

Captain

• 63173 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

I'd strongly suggest putting aside the love of any one particular tank to complete missions in. Trying to use a flat blade screwdriver when its a philip's head screw is guaranteed to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Consider what is the best tool for the job from all available options and go for that - or progress towards the closest reasonable option. 

If you need help with the platoon based missions send me a pm ingame.

TD1 #99 Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:26 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 8893 battles

Wow, my sporadic playing really does nothing in addressing my poor awareness of what is actually going on in this tank game

-I'm actually a bit surprised as to why the IS-3A is considered OP after the autoreloader was given to it. Although I'd admit this is because I'm out of touch and don't actually understand what's going on behind the scenes.

-As a very old player (back to 2012), I am deemed worthy of receiving the T-50-2. I took it out for a spin..... on the Province map I think, where I proceeded to jump off a cliff by accident, after dodging a tank destroyer shot and trying to duck into cover. Even 5 years later, I'm still a bad tank commander:teethhappy:.

-I recently got the Skoda T25 and AMX 12t, and sadly neither are joys to play when stock. However, I did manage to get their upgraded guns (I used the suspension mod as a temporary patchwork) so that should ease the grind a bit. Of course, it's probably moot that I have 75% crew in these tanks, as both of them, in my opinion, need 6th sense to work to their full potential (they're both glass cannons and will get melted if spotted). Looks like I am going to need gold to grind out these tanks' crews.

-I heard there were lootcrates with potential winnings of a premium tank included, but I can't find them in the store. Where are they, and how do you get them?

Blastradius1 #100 Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:13 PM

Private

• Beta-Tester
  • 9485 battles

View PostTD1, on 13 December 2018 - 05:26 AM, said:

Wow, my sporadic playing really does nothing in addressing my poor awareness of what is actually going on in this tank game

-I'm actually a bit surprised as to why the IS-3A is considered OP after the autoreloader was given to it. Although I'd admit this is because I'm out of touch and don't actually understand what's going on behind the scenes.

-As a very old player (back to 2012), I am deemed worthy of receiving the T-50-2. I took it out for a spin..... on the Province map I think, where I proceeded to jump off a cliff by accident, after dodging a tank destroyer shot and trying to duck into cover. Even 5 years later, I'm still a bad tank commander:teethhappy:.

-I recently got the Skoda T25 and AMX 12t, and sadly neither are joys to play when stock. However, I did manage to get their upgraded guns (I used the suspension mod as a temporary patchwork) so that should ease the grind a bit. Of course, it's probably moot that I have 75% crew in these tanks, as both of them, in my opinion, need 6th sense to work to their full potential (they're both glass cannons and will get melted if spotted). Looks like I am going to need gold to grind out these tanks' crews.

-I heard there were lootcrates with potential winnings of a premium tank included, but I can't find them in the store. Where are they, and how do you get them?

The autoloader on the IS3A is a "Reverse" autoloader. There's videos by proper players to educate the likes of me, and on one he explained that this AL basically reloads faster the less rounds in the clip (or something like that). Several high-grade players have expressed the thought that this thing is stoopid OP, and what the hell were WG thinking. The place to purchase loot crates is easily found in your garage, as you would expect a money spinner to be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users