Having trouble shooting straight while driving

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Joelchaletos #1 Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Corporal

• 5802 battles
  • [WFPK] WFPK

It is as the title says.

While not so bad in a kv1 or t1heavy I am finding it very hard to hit while moving in my chaffee as it is so much more maneuverable, and I end up auto aiming and missing half of the time as it is better than I am at hitting a target.

As an example: chaffee on the Murovanka map near the cap in encounter active scouting. lighting up 6 td ht lt etc on the ridges to the north of the cap.

While rushing around the ridges on the cap keeping them lit up when a Luchs comes from the town and tries to shoot me. I just can't hit  him while doing constant 45 degree turns up and down the sides of the cap so I hit once while auto aiming then someone else finishes him off. I got 2k spotting doing that but there must be a better way to shoot....

Edited by Joelchaletos, 13 September 2017 - 09:02 AM.

Ezz #2 Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 56329 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Mount vstabs as a starter, and beyond that, be prepared to miss if you are intent on shooting on the move. Generally shooting on the move is fine as long as the shots are just being used opportunistically. If your playstyle is relying on critical shots being made while moving, then maybe look to refine how you are playing.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

0__lol__0 #3 Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

First lieutenant

• 11002 battles

How are your crew skills?

"Snap shot" skill for gunner is essential. It significantly reduces bloom while moving.

Generally, the lighter the tank the worse it will fire on the move. Best to set up for shots, preferably hull down, and aim properly.

Hitting targets on the move is generally a bonus, don't rely on it. Definitely take the shots if you can, but charging out expecting to hit? Don't.

Gold Brother, glorious gold.

Ezz #4 Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 56329 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Post0__lol__0, on 12 September 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

"Snap shot" skill for gunner is essential. It significantly reduces bloom while moving.

I wouldn't say significantly tbh - the improvement is there but i'd rank it more of a 'nice to have once you have BIA, camo and repairs'.

View Post0__lol__0, on 12 September 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Generally, the lighter the tank the worse it will fire on the move. Best to set up for shots, preferably hull down, and aim properly..

I would have said generally the faster the tank, the worse it will fire on the move, but i guess there is carry over from the weight.

OP, for reference the game starts with your base accuracy then adds on a combo of 3 dispersion factors - forwards back movement, track rotation and turret rotation - to give you what your accuracy will be. Each of those dispersion factors are dependent on tank, equipment, crew etc.. But at the end of the day, as noted, play style will be your big improvement in this regard.

Edited by Ezz, 12 September 2017 - 11:08 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Matt_B #5 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Staff sergeant

• 14772 battles

Basically:

1. Drive slower. This reduces the movement bloom.

2. Drive in a straight line. This reduces the track rotation bloom.

3. Pre-aim the turret where you expect the enemy to be, and either auto-aim or make delicate adjustments. This reduces the turret rotation bloom.

Even with all the above, some tanks are just plain awful at shooting on the move, and your only option with them is to stop first or close to point-blank range. Also, if you've been spotted, take evasive action first and foremost; it's rarely worth taking a hit just to improve your own chances of scoring one.

So far as equipment goes, mount vertical stabilizers on anything that can fit them, and vents on anything that can't. The enhanced gun laying drive doesn't really help much when shooting on the move, but can help a lot if you stop to aim. IMO it's only worth taking on tanks that can't mount the vertical stabilizer although some very inaccurate ones can potentially use both.

For crew skills, snap shot, smooth ride and BIA all help but only provide very small improvements. Every little helps, especially when stacked with the right equipment and food, but knowing the game mechanics is far more important.

U12D13 #6 Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

Captain

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 30031 battles
  • [CALM] CALM
Question: are you referring to your aim or are you referring to the game (when auto aiming) missing the shots?

If its your aim, I suggest closing on the target in 3rd person view and center your aim on target, mouse over the main location you want to hit (eg drivewheel) in a low mag (x2) and then feather the aim onto the component in high mag (x8/16) while doing a temporary short reduction in speed on a steady vector for best results.

If its game accuracy, do as the others described. Crew skills, Vstabs etc.

I'm not good at this game, its just that the rest of the server sucks~

Casual Gaming: Apply for [ANKOU] today! Simple requirements: English speaking, Wn8 = 1000+ (nego-able), new players welcome!

Competitive Gaming: Come join in the [CALM/CROWN] family! Weekly Strongholds and CW~

jessica_raven #7 Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

Captain

• 17587 battles
Try to be on same vector with the tanks youre chasing before shooting it, works pretty well to me. Some tanks a better at it than others, IS3 and 140 are very good while tanks like edelweiss and Grille 15.. you got better chances hitting with arty :P

''I'll do it tomorrow'', thats wat I said. 10 yrs later, tomorrow never came,

and I forgot to live my live...

Zynth #8 Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

Major

• 21575 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postjessica_raven, on 12 September 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Some tanks a better at it than others, IS3 and 140 are very good while tanks like edelweiss and Grille 15.. you got better chances hitting with arty :P

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. As long as the enemy tank is within that big circle, I have a chance of hitting. Just pull the trigger and let RNGesus take the wheel.

RIP Aufklärungspanzer Panther 16th July 2015. You will be missed, friend.

But not for long. For "Heroes never die."

Joelchaletos #9 Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

Corporal

• 5802 battles
  • [WFPK] WFPK

View PostU12D13, on 12 September 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Question: are you referring to your aim or are you referring to the game (when auto aiming) missing the shots?

If its your aim, I suggest closing on the target in 3rd person view and center your aim on target, mouse over the main location you want to hit (eg drivewheel) in a low mag (x2) and then feather the aim onto the component in high mag (x8/16) while doing a temporary short reduction in speed on a steady vector for best results.

It is me, while scouting and I am auto aiming a close target I am maneuvering too violently to shoot accurately. This video shows what I am doing when flanking. https://youtu.be/4LJxCQAn8PM?t=2m43s    

Matt_B #10 Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

Staff sergeant

• 14772 battles

Yeah, looking at the replay, you're riding over bumpy ground and making handbrake turns. They're not just serving to increase the bloom but throwing the auto-aim right off the target because of the large sudden movements. That's about as extreme as firing on the move gets and only the RNG gods can help you there. After you'd hit the rock and lost your speed though, most of the shots started going in.

I don't think there's much that could have helped about the initial approach, but once you'd got past him, you could have slowed right down and started pumping shots into his side and rear rather than ending up going in front of him and getting stranded for a couple of seconds where you couldn't return fire.

Joelchaletos #11 Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

Corporal

• 5802 battles
  • [WFPK] WFPK

View PostMatt_B, on 13 September 2017 - 11:59 PM, said:

I don't think there's much that could have helped about the initial approach, but once you'd got past him, you could have slowed right down and started pumping shots into his side and rear rather than ending up going in front of him and getting stranded for a couple of seconds where you couldn't return fire.

Actually in the 5 seconds before I hit the rock I was trying to acquire auto aim. That is why he goes red several times in a second. Maybe I have set the field of view too high as he was too small a target to keep the mouse on. I have set it to 90-150 Dynamic. High FoV is great to see my surroundings but makes it hard to get the aim circle on target. With the last few shots I could have reversed and kept behind but I was stopped and putting in effective fire and I din't want to have to start that over again. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

s70blackhawk #12 Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Corporal

• 19682 battles
  • [-ADF-] -ADF-

View PostJoelchaletos, on 13 September 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

It is me, while scouting and I am auto aiming a close target I am maneuvering too violently to shoot accurately. This video shows what I am doing when flanking. https://youtu.be/4LJxCQAn8PM?t=2m43s    

By the looks of it, you want to fire on the move as full speed. The RNG Jeezus doesn't like this... So the equip and crew skills are your only hope, but still not going to be a great outcome unless close quarters battle.

The other issue you seem to be having is you need to practise of the use of auto-aim.

U12D13 has replied a good answer to this in order to give yourself a better chance of locking on. It's hard in the beginning but can improve with time.

There was a mod that was called "auto aim +" or something like that allowed the player to lock on just by clicking in the vicinity of the EN player. Personally I think this is cheating and could be on the banned list.

Ezz #13 Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 56329 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Posts70blackhawk, on 14 September 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

There was a mod that was called "auto aim +" or something like that allowed the player to lock on just by clicking in the vicinity of the EN player. Personally I think this is cheating and could be on the banned list.

In true WG 'we have all our ducks in a row', AA+ was indeed banned initially based on a grey area around adding functionality to vanilla AA. Then at some point someone on EU i think convinced WG that despite still being in that same grey area, that a new implementation of AA+ should be legal.

Edited by Ezz, 14 September 2017 - 10:21 AM.

kickim #14 Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

First lieutenant

• 36297 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

best you can do in that situations is try to drive as straight and over less bumpy ground as possible the last 2 secs before you shoot.

also, shooting on the move generally work better closer to the target, usually used for circling slow tanks (less than 20m), anything more then 100m is just luck.

fizzydrink #15 Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

Sergeant

• 38635 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

only missing half of the time is actually petty good

but it depends on what range and what tanks/crew in questions...

Edited by fizzydrink, 10 October 2017 - 01:31 PM.

it was a good

Puggsley #16 Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

First lieutenant

• 55536 battles
  • [T-C] T-C

There is a mod which you can set the time after you RMB click for you to get the cursor on the target. You still have to directly aim at the target but you don't have to get the click when directly aiming at it.

eg right mouse click and you have 1 second to aim at the target for auto-aim to lock on.

Derp__ #17 Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

Corporal

• 31676 battles
  • [RAISE] RAISE
Vert Stabs, plus all the great crew skills like BIA, Snapshot ETC will help you connect those shots. 

Just got over from NA, feel free to say hello. Still have my NA sig cause now I need 1000 battles on ASIA.

o7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users