Best Tank Lines For a Noob

Best Tank Lines

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

RoryBTanks #1 Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:04 AM

Private

• 5057 battles

As an absolute noob, I was just wondering what tank lines I should try and grind in order to improve my ability at WOT and also experience the game at higher tiers. I have been reading previous forums for a while and noticed that The Russian Heavy lines (both KV/IS) are pretty good, and also maybe the US medium/Heavy lines (T2 Medium through to T110E5).

In terms of my preferences, I like decent armour and firepower, as well as a little bit of mobility but not that much if it compromises the armour/gun. Spotting isn't crucial, but a tank line of reliable longish-range guns would be great as well. 

Now I understand that these requirements are a bit unrealistic, but any advice would be greatly appreciated so I can start the long grind up! (BTW I started a new account for invite code so yeah I do have more experience than what my account says, but not too much)

Thanks! (or should I say tanks!)

Edited by RoryBTanks, 15 October 2017 - 04:05 AM.

southerner #2 Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:37 AM

Captain

• 19012 battles
  • [2MEKE] 2MEKE

The russian line is easy to play, start off down the medium heavy and TD lines of the tech tree

That being said stay in tiers 3 and lower for your first 4000 games build up your crews training and skill levels and get  used to howe the game is played. Then work up your light tank line by swapping crews around, but dont go over tier 6 or 7 untill you really figure the game out.

indignatio regis nuntii mortis et vir sapiens placabit ea 

RoryBTanks #3 Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

Private

• 5057 battles

View Postsoutherner, on 15 October 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

The russian line is easy to play, start off down the medium heavy and TD lines of the tech tree

That being said stay in tiers 3 and lower for your first 4000 games build up your crews training and skill levels and get  used to howe the game is played. Then work up your light tank line by swapping crews around, but dont go over tier 6 or 7 untill you really figure the game out.

Thanks!

Cronk #4 Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 24407 battles

Yeah I wouldn't stay in tier 3 for 4k battles, thats basically just seal clubbing after a certain point. Conversly you don't want to rush to tier 10 ASAP as you won't have the understanding of maps, weakpoints etc.

For noob friendly lines I'd still recommend the old tried and true favorites, RU mediums and heavies (140/62a and IS-7) and US Medium/Heavy lines. So basically continue what you are doing.

In the Russian lines stop for a while at tier 5 in each, Play 500 battles in the KV-1 and unlock all the tanks which branch off it, and spend some time learning to use armor, angling, sidescraping, where to go as a heavy on each map etc. In the med line stop at the T-34 long enough to unlock all 3 tanks that branch off it before continuing down the middle line toward the 140/62a, learn to spot, flank, use DPM etc while avoiding getting hit as a medium. Don't pass tier 5 without at least one full crew skill, 6th sense on commanders at a minimum.

US has a couple of strong tanks to stop at, T1 heavy and M4 as above, get some experience with those roles and at least 6th on commander before moving, Tier 7 in both lines are also great stopping points for some stat pedding/crew training while avoiding tier 10 play for a while. You'll end up with 4 really strong, flexible and "noob friendly" relatively speaking for Tier 10 tank from those lines.

Pick a few other lines that look interesting to add variety if you want. If you wish to become a true tryhard student of the game, then check out wotlabs, twitch streamers, youtube vids, wotreplays etc and watch/read what good players do and you will learn a lot from that.

TLDR on weak points, shoot lower front plates if you can, otherwise shoot the cupolas on their roofs. On 99% of tanks those will be weak points. The rest will come via experience earned the hardway or studying other players.

Edited by Cronk, 15 October 2017 - 08:46 AM.

Block Quote

WG will just do whatever is needed to keep us on the gerbil wheel. Logic is just the beef they put on the pill to make the dog swallow it.

RoryBTanks #5 Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

Private

• 5057 battles

View PostCronk, on 15 October 2017 - 08:36 AM, said:

Yeah I wouldn't stay in tier 3 for 4k battles, thats basically just seal clubbing after a certain point. Conversly you don't want to rush to tier 10 ASAP as you won't have the understanding of maps, weakpoints etc.

For noob friendly lines I'd still recommend the old tried and true favorites, RU mediums and heavies (140/62a and IS-7) and US Medium/Heavy lines. So basically continue what you are doing.

In the Russian lines stop for a while at tier 5 in each, Play 500 battles in the KV-1 and unlock all the tanks which branch off it, and spend some time learning to use armor, angling, sidescraping, where to go as a heavy on each map etc. In the med line stop at the T-34 long enough to unlock all 3 tanks that branch off it before continuing down the middle line toward the 140/62a, learn to spot, flank, use DPM etc while avoiding getting hit as a medium. Don't pass tier 5 without at least one full crew skill, 6th sense on commanders at a minimum.

US has a couple of strong tanks to stop at, T1 heavy and M4 as above, get some experience with those roles and at least 6th on commander before moving, Tier 7 in both lines are also great stopping points for some stat pedding/crew training while avoiding tier 10 play for a while. You'll end up with 4 really strong, flexible and "noob friendly" relatively speaking for Tier 10 tank from those lines.

Pick a few other lines that look interesting to add variety if you want. If you wish to become a true tryhard student of the game, then check out wotlabs, twitch streamers, youtube vids, wotreplays etc and watch/read what good players do and you will learn a lot from that.

TLDR on weak points, shoot lower front plates if you can, otherwise shoot the cupolas on their roofs. On 99% of tanks those will be weak points. The rest will come via experience earned the hardway or studying other players.

Thank you so much, I will definitely take that advice!

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #6 Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

Ambassador of silly strat

• 21248 battles
Rush to IS as fast as you can, train your crew there, while unlocking IS3. KV1 dont play like IS7/3 at all, and if you gonna spend 500 game and fail in tons of it, might as well doing it while unlocking a tier 8 tank, save you lots of time.
Get the 140 line to, the most noob friendly line imo. Buy yourself a tier 5 prem, or a tier 6/7 with BiA crew if you can. Just get 1 for credit farming.

1940- In 2018, we will have flying cars.

2018- Tonk=lyfe, proven by scientist

RoryBTanks #7 Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Private

• 5057 battles

View Postjessica_raven, on 15 October 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

Rush to IS as fast as you can, train your crew there, while unlocking IS3. KV1 dont play like IS7/3 at all, and if you gonna spend 500 game and fail in tons of it, might as well doing it while unlocking a tier 8 tank, save you lots of time.
Get the 140 line to, the most noob friendly line imo. Buy yourself a tier 5 prem, or a tier 6/7 with BiA crew if you can. Just get 1 for credit farming.

Im gonna get the Churchill III when its 50% off. Thanks for the advice!

southerner #8 Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

Captain

• 19012 battles
  • [2MEKE] 2MEKE

View PostCronk, on 15 October 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

What the man said ^^^^^^^

Thats good advice  :great:

southerner #9 Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Captain

• 19012 battles
  • [2MEKE] 2MEKE

View Postjessica_raven, on 15 October 2017 - 03:21 PM, said:

Good russian medium prems are

Rudy

T 34 85 M

T 54 prototype

T 44 r

Best russian heavies

defender/252U

IS 6

and the IS 2

All premiums and fast crew trainers and money earners.

Once again start on your low tier premiums like the rudy and the IS 2 first.

Cronk #10 Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 24407 battles

Yeah chuch III is pretty fun and should help you keep the RU heavy crew in top shape while helping with credits. The best thing about those 4 lines is there are generally multiple options when it comes to crew trainer premiums.

Block Quote

WG will just do whatever is needed to keep us on the gerbil wheel. Logic is just the beef they put on the pill to make the dog swallow it.

Flying_Elite #11 Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

Always blame Hema!

• 30510 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

Go straight for IS-7, the entire line if user friendly and with IS-7's recent buffs it's competitive again. 

Spoiler

Bounty #12 Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

First lieutenant

• 13122 battles
  • [NZAD] NZAD

I think what Cronk said above is spot on. IS7 is probably what you want to head toward, but again, don't rush.

Cheers.

don_WarDaddy_AVI #13 Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:31 PM

No Party, Without Arty!

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 1258 battles
IS-7 line if you want armor+mobility.
Obj.140 line is also very good to go. this line is best suited for flanking. fast'n'furious gameplay.

Churchill3 is good. But get T-34-85M if possible. you'll enjoy playing this tank and it will also be useful in skirmishes. 

RoryBTanks #14 Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:54 AM

Private

• 5057 battles
Thanks everyone! You have all made my WOT life so much easier.  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users