FV217 Review

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

DeadArashi #1 Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

Imperium Tech Priest

• 12819 battles

Admittedly I had some concerns regarding the FV217 when I saw the stats. I questioned how useful the T110E3 would be with the FV taking the same role as an assault tank and I would say my concerns were almost not met

Armor

Without question, the E3 is significantly better armored, but where the E3 has raw thickness, the FV makes up for in sloping giving it effective armor close to that of the E3. It will require premium ammo to go through the front of it if you can't get shots into the lower plate, much like the E3. But it's not just fontally, the FV has better side armor which includes spaced armor over the tracks. the E3 in comparison is weak as all hell.But in terms of armor, I'm going to have to give it to the E3. The raw thickness and the ability to mount a SHSL (the FV can only mount a HSL) means it's got excellent protection against Arty and the Type 4/5. 

Effective armor is good and it can make a tank lighter but that means nothing against HE spam which is a viable option against the FV because it's armor is not reliant on raw thickness, and it's raw thickness that effects HE damage.

Mobility

It feels... weird. It doesn't lack mobility in that it's slow, it's not. It's got a respectable top speed of 30km/h and a power to weight of 14.62 hp/t thanks to the 950hp engine and a weight of 65 ton... That's 9.73 ton LIGHTER then the T110E3 and yet, for some unknown reason, it has worse terrain resistance then the E3 and also turns 2.09 degs per second slower

And yet despite it being worse terrain resistance and slower turning speed, it doesn't feel like an issue, rather I would say it's comfortable. But I can't help but question the mobility when the S.Conq is 12 ton heavier but has better turning speed and terrain resistance. 

Gun Handling

There's no comparison here... at least that's what I would like to say but there's 2 areas which are undeniably better on the E3: Alpha damage and penetration, but that's it. The FV wins in every other way. The gun is brilliant, if you want to drop 10,000 bonds for the improved rammer and vents, throw in a directive for the rammer, premium consumables and BIA you're looking at the best DPM in the game. A blisteringly quick 6 sec reload, a perfect 10 rounds per minute giving a monstrous DPM of 4,800. Yes, the Tortoise has been dethroned from its top spot as best DPM in the game.

But that's the holy grail of end game builds and thing legends are made of. For us regular peasants that like to stick to the poverty pack and use the standard rammer, vents and BIA only we will be looking at a 6.62 sec reload time, 9.06 rounds per minute deliver 4,349 damage of pain per minute. As if that wasn't good enough you only have a 1.56 sec aim time so you don't even need a gun laying drive to take something extra like CO or HSL.

The icing on the cake? 0.28 accuracy.

Final Verdict

I love the FV217. It's by no means OP, it's weak to HE spam and the bad terrain resistance coupled with the slow turning speed mean that a MT or LT that can get the side or rear will destroy the FV easily. A skilled player will be able to well and mitigate those mobility issues, but a skilled opponent will be able to hide their weakest parts. The FV has the second lowest penetration on its standard rounds of the tier 10 TDs so as long as you angle well and show the thickest armor possible you will be able to counter it.

In the battle between the FV217 and the T110E3... while the E3 has better raw frontal protection, I would personally rather have the FV on my team over the E3.

*It should be noted that this is based on the current test server stats which are subject to change and of my opinion only. You're entitled to your own opinion and have the right to discuss it.

Der_aus_Deutschland #2 Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

First lieutenant

• 17568 battles
I am sorry, Iam confused as to why you keep comparing the Fv217 the the E3 ? What about the Russian TDs , the Object 263 or 268?

DeadArashi #3 Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Imperium Tech Priest

• 12819 battles

Because the FV217 and T110E3 are both well sluggish, front casement, well armored assault tanks.

The Obj 268 doesnt fit that description and the Obj 263, while well armored with a good gun, is rear casement with minimal gun depression...  and both of those a very mobile.

Does that clarify why the E3 is a better comparison then the 263 or 268?

Edited by DeadArashi, 19 November 2017 - 12:30 PM.

mttspiii #4 Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 31806 battles
  • [PVP] PVP

Germi's got a point though; the 263 is the TD closest to the Badger in terms of alpha, DPM, frontal armor, and possibly mobility. It can also be an assault TD in a pinch, but seems more optimized for TD-lane sniping duty instead with the camo, hitpoints and sheer arty vulnerability.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

DeadArashi #5 Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

Imperium Tech Priest

• 12819 battles

In terms of armor and DPM yes, the 263 is probably the closest. In terms of playstyle... not so much. A rear casement TD that can go 55km/h and only has -4 deg of gun depression... or a front casement TD that goes 24 km/h and has -8 deg of gun depression... which is closer to a front casement TD that goes 30km/h and has -10 ddeg of gun depression.

I'll play ball and compare

So yes, Der_aus is right, in saying that the Obj 263 is an option for comparison as it's better in areas then the E3. The FV is sort of the demon child of the E3 and the 263 in this regard. 

Edited by DeadArashi, 19 November 2017 - 12:43 PM.

mttspiii #6 Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 31806 battles
  • [PVP] PVP

Or rather, a hulldown-able 263.

Also, how does that fat 268 manage to hide so well?

Edited by mttspiii, 19 November 2017 - 12:48 PM.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

Nightfire_13 #7 Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

Corporal

• 7355 battles
  • [BD] BD

I think those 2 cupola like things could get a nerf,the upper part of the cupola, just under the rangefinders if has less armor would be great weakspot,maybe 150 to 160 mm over there and many guns could get it,but then badger would have to snipe,so maybe some 170mm armor so that people could contest it,at the current state premium shells don't do so good,spamming he is the best option

Nightfire_13 #8 Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

Corporal

• 7355 battles
  • [BD] BD

just realized that cupola parts are a bit well angled so,they should be 150 mm and still be capable of bounces...

The_Salty_Brit_ #9 Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

One simply does not..

• 14993 battles

@DeadArashi, a well presented and written piece.. keep up the good work, I for one appriciate it. thanks. 

@ Nightfire-13..  I don't get you guys, the E3 has been in the game longer and look at its Armor values..  how can a Tier 8 with 200mm penetration get through it, if he is hull down, yet you want to nerf the Badger, although there are 3 definite places to shoot at, according to the Diagramme anyway, I haven't checked it on tanks.gg yet. 

I don't think they will nerf it, they seem to have found a new direction and are bringing in more well rounded tanks , I am looking forward to playing it. 

2 MoEs : Crusader / Firefly  / Achilles / Comet / Caernarvon / Centurion 1 

Spoiler

Nightfire_13 #10 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

Corporal

• 7355 battles
  • [BD] BD

well m8 ones time tested and wg is not gonna nerf it so there is no hope...would've loved it if they would make the machinegun port on the e3 weak like the other tanks that are practically the same with a different gun.

but badgers new and in test servers stage 1,so it can get nerfed,and remember what the krv and strv 103b was on test and what they came up on live?so I think badger could change.AND IT NEEDS TO!we already have e3,dont need a version of it with best dpm

DeadArashi #11 Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

Imperium Tech Priest

• 12819 battles

It won't be nerfed, it doesn't need it. It's got its obvious weaknesses and drawbacks.

- A T95 will be able to out maneuver the FV217, it turns that slowly.

- The lower plate is, like on every other tank, a weakspot.

- It has the second lowest penetration of all tier 10 TDs, and 22nd highest of all TDs with 272mm on its standard rounds... yes, there's tier 8 TDs with more penetration then the FV217

It's frontally strong only when it's hull down or using gun depression. It's armor is a lot weaker when you're above it shooting down on it, it can't turn fast enough to deal with a quick flanking MT or LT.

Rather then being bad and calling for unneeded nerfs, you get good enough to be able to know how to deal with different tanks. We don't need the game being dumbed down

Edited by DeadArashi, 20 November 2017 - 09:31 AM.

The_Salty_Brit_ #12 Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

One simply does not..

• 14993 battles

View PostNightfire_13, on 20 November 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

well m8 ones time tested and wg is not gonna nerf it so there is no hope...would've loved it if they would make the machinegun port on the e3 weak like the other tanks that are practically the same with a different gun.

but badgers new and in test servers stage 1,so it can get nerfed,and remember what the krv and strv 103b was on test and what they came up on live?so I think badger could change.AND IT NEEDS TO!we already have e3,dont need a version of it with best dpm

​Lol, that's like me saying that I want the E3 nerfed because its too difficult to pen and I don't want it anyway.. 

The Badger is perfectly fine where it is, the DPM only counts if you can use like, like the Tortoise, or I wonder why it isn't a meta tank..  

I really don't get why players always jump onto the it's OP bandwagon so soon, without it being properly tested first.. 

Spoiler

damnkids01 #13 Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

Corporal

• 13329 battles
  • [LNCR2] LNCR2

the badger is perfectly fine, please no nerf.. finally some love for Brit tech tree to be on the front lines and everyone is asking for nerf like wth man.. just grinding through this line is a hassle give us some reason to play it top tier dude

DeadArashi #14 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

Imperium Tech Priest

• 12819 battles

After playing a few more games in different roles, I'm going to have agree that the FV217 is more suited for long range lane sniping. The lower plate weakness, which isn't present on any of the TDs before it, stops it from really being an assault tank usable in towns. Yes the rest of the line has cupola weak spots, but a good player knows how to hide it in when in an assault position in a town. They can keep the cupola behind a wall while the gun remains firing and armor at its most effective. This is something the FV can't do unless it has a mound or half wall to keep its lower plate behind.

While it can be used as an assault tank, it's can't assault towns like the rest of the line, but is instead more optimized for assaulting ridge lines or using its excellent camo value to snipe undetected.

If WG want it to be more of an assault tank for attacking towns, I would suggest the following

• Set LFP to 184.2mm
  • nerf side armor from 152.4mm to 101.6mm
  • Nerf 'cupolas' from 279.4mm (319mm effective) to 258mm (295mm effective)
  • reduce reload from 7.77 (7.72 RoF = 3,707  DPM) to 8.17 sec (7.34 RoF = 3,523 DPM (2 less then the Tortoise)
  • increase aim time from 1.63 to 1.92
  • decrease dispersion from 0.29 to 0.31
  • buff traverse speed from 22.94 to 27.11
  • buff ground resistance from 1.73/1.92/2.88 to 1.05/1.25/2.21

The traverse and ground resistance are off the Conqueror for which the FV217 takes the hull/chassis off and has a similar weight to it. These changes would let it more reliable when assaulting a city. It would be harder to flank do to the better traverse and ground resistance but it sacrifices some of its 'cupola' and side armor as well as some of its DPM.

This isn't intended as a nerf or buff, but more as a way to bring its playstyle more in-line with the rest of the line. It's in no way needed. Just a suggestion

Edited by DeadArashi, 20 November 2017 - 06:05 PM.

The_Salty_Brit_ #15 Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

One simply does not..

• 14993 battles

View Postdamnkids01, on 20 November 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

the badger is perfectly fine, please no nerf.. finally some love for Brit tech tree to be on the front lines and everyone is asking for nerf like wth man.. just grinding through this line is a hassle give us some reason to play it top tier dude

​@DeadArashi..  NO NO NO don't suggest anything that will diminish it's overall qualities, I don't want a street brawling TD, I want a proper TD, I want to snipe accurately at long ranges and to be able to hold a channel, close brawling isn't what a TD is designed for and I can accept that it fails in that respect. It has to be balanced, and I feel they have done a great job at balancing the new British tanks whilst keeping some niche aspects, It should have tremendous DPM as in line with the At 15 and Tortoise but still have weak aspects for late game mop up. If you make it too difficult for MTs to circle it, it ruins the whole balance. It#s great from the front but if they get your sides, your toast..   that is how it should be. 

The French CDA TD turns to quickly, and can keep its frontal armor towards you, so why bother trying to flank it? 

The quote is correct, finally the Brits aren't just the laughing number in WoT , they have tanks that can make it into SH or CWs..  Diversity away from too few tanks is what we want!

Spoiler

DeadArashi #16 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

Imperium Tech Priest

• 12819 battles

I dont feel it would deminish its overall qualities. It would still be frontally strong with tremendous DPM. The qualities of it would be the same as the Tortoise and the rest of the line.

It would still have its weak points. The lower plate would be pentrable but overal stronger, the 'cupolas' would still be strong but slightly easier to penetrate.

It would turn as fast as, say, the Super Conqueror. And lets face it, that's not incredibly fast.

I agree that it's balanced brilliantly and I don't want them to ruin it. Yes, it encompasses a lot of what the British tanks are, but I can't help feel that it's got a different playstyle then the rest of the line.

Obviously this is my own personal opinion and people are entitled to their own.

damnkids01 #17 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Corporal

• 13329 battles
  • [LNCR2] LNCR2

View PostDeadArashi, on 20 November 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

• increase aim time from 1.63 to 19.2

no... just no :teethhappy: can u imagine the aim circle going off-screen.. hahaha

DeadArashi #18 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

Imperium Tech Priest

• 12819 battles
hahahah that typo :amazed: nice save

Nightfire_13 #19 Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

Corporal

• 7355 battles
  • [BD] BD

so Badger gets to dethrone 2 tanks???the legendary turtle and the krv?????it can ridgework like a beast and fires like an autoloader without a drum or magazine.when the strv103b came and contested the tortoises dpm everyone was like nerf hell out of Sweden!now u want this?I know how to nerf this thing,get its depression down to 7 degrees..dat way it might occasionally expose the lower hull or least lower the effective armor of the already angled upper hull.

even a kranvagn has a counter,just switch to he and u will do tremendous damage upon firing on lower turret becuz hull armor being so thin,so Badger will be too op on a ridgeline.

found a weakness of the badger though,shooting above the cupolas with he does damage so it can be a good upper weakspot if wg can nerf the cupolas thickness.

Nightfire_13 #20 Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

Corporal

• 7355 battles
  • [BD] BD
was talking about da round part making it 30 mm thick while keeping the rest the 65mm(otherwise spg are gonna reck this thing with no problems)this could really be a great thing and maintain the tradition of having a upper weakspot like the tortoise and rest of the gang

Attached Files

• Attached File   Badger.png   539.14K

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users