Player Matchmaking

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

FramFramson #61 Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

Major

• 56798 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
I just gotta ask one thing Sir British. What do you spend more time on? Playing the game or arguing having discussions on here?

The_Salty_Brit_ #62 Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

One simply does not..

• 14993 battles

View PostEzz, on 10 December 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

Basically rather than a flat random spread around your aim circle, they use a randomness that means it's more likely to hit closer to your point of aim. They've adjusted this a few times. First was relatively loose within your aim circle. Ie they were going everywhere. Then they tightened it significantly so that pretty much everything was going where you wanted it. Then they loosened it to somewhere in between.

Ah, he was talking about dispersion, that's what sorta threw me off a little.. yeah I got that.. thnx for the reply.. 

View PostFramFramson, on 10 December 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

I just gotta ask one thing Sir British. What do you spend more time on? Playing the game or arguing having discussions on here?

Not sure if you are trolling or not.. anyway.. 

living in China, I don't have access to normal TV, so I have to download stuff, whilst I am downloading, I can't play WoT because the ping / latency would be too great, so I have time to write on the forums.. 

Currently, I mean right now, I am eating my dinner watching some of Anfields videos playing the Super Conq. I will continue with WoT later, still have to finish the mission, I forgot to start it earlier. I also have 2 monitors, so I can watch and write at the same time. 

I don't consider it arguing, more a discussion, I try to keep away from personal insults and call things as I see them, ask questions and hopefully give people something to read and consider, whether you agree / disagree as long as people contribute, that is the worthwhile thing.. 

2 MoEs : Crusader / Firefly  / Achilles / Comet / Caernarvon / Centurion 1 

Spoiler

StormCrowReaperManyHat #63 Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Ammo Racked IRL

• Beta-Tester
  • 22804 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

"I keep hearing about Occam's razor. Do you know what it is?"

"Probably a razor owned by someone named Occam."

"Oh. Yeah, simple enough."

Outrage is too exhausting to maintain for years on end. Numpty fatigue has set in.

The rage of 2013/2014 has sullenly ceded ground to apathy and despair, there is no viable alternative.

#FreeFireGuard2k13

MagicalFlyingFox #64 Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 36066 battles

View PostSir_British, on 10 December 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Ah, he was talking about dispersion, that's what sorta threw me off a little.. yeah I got that.. thnx for the reply.. 

It also applies to damage and penetration, but I'm unsure of what the variation is for both. 

Basically it quantifies the spread of damage/penetration from the average. It is weighted more towards average with +-25% limits.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

This account is proudly sponsored by Wargaming. 

The_Salty_Brit_ #65 Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

One simply does not..

• 14993 battles

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 10 December 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

It also applies to damage and penetration, but I'm unsure of what the variation is for both. 

Basically it quantifies the spread of damage/penetration from the average. It is weighted more towards average with +-25% limits.

​I always thought that the penetration and damage RNG of 25% was a flat one, it was only the dispersion that was changed , I think someone said 67% of shots should be close to the center.. 

Spoiler

Ezz #66 Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 77831 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostSir_British, on 10 December 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

​I always thought that the penetration and damage RNG of 25% was a flat one, it was only the dispersion that was changed , I think someone said 67% of shots should be close to the center.. 

Feel like testing? Just take 1000 shots, record them and then check the distribution.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

The_Salty_Brit_ #67 Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

One simply does not..

• 14993 battles

View PostEzz, on 10 December 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

Feel like testing? Just take 1000 shots, record them and then check the distribution.

​haha sounds like something for 4Tankers... 

Spoiler

anonym_YjmjLeoW3i0I #68 Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:36 AM

Major

• 0 battles

Block Quote

It's like climate change deniers; a climate scientist on a Al Jazeera documentary summed it up really well, he basically said:

"It's like going to the mall, and collapsing due to severe chest pains. 10 people gather around, 9 qualified doctors and a blogger. The doctors all advise going straight to hospital because it's very likely a heart attack. The blogger says 'maybe go home and see how it is in the morning'".

Here's the doco I was referring too, it opens with the analogy I quoted: 

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/faultlines/2017/04/state-denial-170426070840528.html

Although the whole video is worth watching, there's an interview with a cognitive scientist, who researches the impact of misinformation on the public, which starts at the 17:00 minute mark.  It's relevant because it explains how people can hold a view that "gives them an escape" even though it's based on 'evidence' that is contrary to what is widely accepted.

View PostSir_British, on 10 December 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

Did I actually write that it is rigged?

Well there was:

View PostSir_British, on 09 December 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

The main problem isn't in all those scientific/technical terms and plausible efforts to non-deny the possibility, it is the game itself which leads to doubts about the complete randomness of it all

It's true that some maps are could be more balanced, but all players have equal chance of getting each map and each spawn.  But, by 'randomness' you appear to be referring to the absence of a level playing field, implying a degree of conscious control.

View PostSir_British, on 09 December 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

basically you are implying that MM isn't rigged or the game itself (in any way shape or form) 

Whereas you are defending the opposite, which gives the suspicious impression you think it is.   And let's not forget how cynical you are that there's no manipulation: 

You see, I do actually understand your arguments, and I do actually see what you are talking about, and I do undeniably agree that RNG plays a greater part in the game than it should do, I am just too cynical to go 100% and state that the game does not manipulate in any way. 

What I dislike is the way you present your evidence and formulate your arguments.

Aww, I feel sad now, because earlier you said: 

View PostSir_British, on 09 December 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

@AdrianK Very well written, well thought out and makes for an interesting read..  

My apologies, let me try and formulate my arguments using an alternative pictorial style...

Ezz #69 Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:55 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77831 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Hmm, when you lay it out like that it seems so logical and actually rather straight forward. Only a slight step ahead of content WG's publishing skills. 

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Puggsley #70 Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:39 AM

Major

• 76345 battles

View PostAdrianK, on 09 December 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

Frankly I couldn't care less which social groups we are in.  What I do care about is how people with poor reasoning skills and a lack of critical thinking fuel [edited] fallacies every day.

It's like climate change deniers; a climate scientist on a Al Jazeera documentary summed it up really well, he basically said:

"It's like going to the mall, and collapsing due to severe chest pains. 10 people gather around, 9 qualified doctors and a blogger. The doctors all advise going straight to hospital because it's very likely a heart attack. The blogger says 'maybe go home and see how it is in the morning'".

Later in the same piece they talk with Some professor of psychology or something, who explains how when just enough doubt is seeded, it can have a disproportionate affect in how people view something. That's why critical thinking is important, to see through those falsehoods.

Frankly you have no argument.

I've provided a coherent argument as to why rigging is not a thing you haven't. Nor have you provided any evidence, and since your the one asserting the premise that there is rigging the onus is on you to prove that.

I would really, really love to see you review Cook's study (where the 97% agree came from ) and explain how he got 97%!!!! That will shake you faith in the peer review system, and wonder what parallel universe mathematics his team was using.

In the Cook world, MM is certainly rigged!

Edited by Puggsley, 11 December 2017 - 07:39 AM.

anonym_YjmjLeoW3i0I #71 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

Major

• 0 battles

View PostPuggsley, on 11 December 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

I would really, really love to see you review Cook's study (where the 97% agree came from ) and explain how he got 97%!!!! That will shake you faith in the peer review system, and wonder what parallel universe mathematics his team was using.

In the Cook world, MM is certainly rigged!

I'm not familiar with that study, nor am I really qualified.  2.403 seconds of Googling returned this (link below) which seems to suggest that there's some denial happening (**surprise**).  Whilst they can attempt to split hairs over the numbers, it's a fact that the vast majority of scientists studying climate change agree humans are contributing.  The doco linked to above should fill in the rest.

https://skepticalscience.com/97-percent-consensus-robust.htm

Block Quote

Let me know if you are happy with how I form my arguments and present my evidence, if necessary I will happily provide them in a different style.

TheBudgiesmuggler #72 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

Staff sergeant

• 37824 battles
  • [PXR] PXR
If MM is supposed to be Randomly selecting teams and not taking WR/HR etc.. into account why are we getting unbalanced teams, is MM flawed by design/bad coding or is MM designed to "rig" the games randomly with assistance of RNG and other game mechanics. 

anonym_YjmjLeoW3i0I #73 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

Major

• 0 battles

View PostNot2MuchSauce, on 11 December 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

If MM is supposed to be Randomly selecting teams and not taking WR/HR etc.. into account why are we getting unbalanced teams, is MM flawed by design/bad coding or is MM designed to "rig" the games randomly with assistance of RNG and other game mechanics. 

I can't help but wonder if you have read any of the previous posts in this thread.

Ezz #74 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77831 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostNot2MuchSauce, on 11 December 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

Unbalanced teams are given out to streamers, premium account holders and anyone playing against germi.

Fwiw, define unbalanced teams.

The_Salty_Brit_ #75 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

One simply does not..

• 14993 battles

@AdrianK..

What I actually said was that I think it is probably manipulated simply because I am cynical enough to think so. I never actually stated that it was rigged because..  but again semantics.. 

it is also bemusing why you spend so much time drawing, or finding such an exaggerated storyline about MM full of utter nonsense, since you started out quite seriously.  My comment about your arguments was the fact that you continually express your opinions in a derogatory way towards those that don't agree with you. 

You could say that if the game didn't have certain repeating circumstances such as: 5 blues on one team, none on the other, Top Tier HTS on one team (Maus , E-100 , Type 5s) and AMX 50B, S. Conq or such on the other, etc, then there wouldn't be such a widespread feeling that the game isn't exactly playing fair. 

Of course there are lots of logical arguments and Sociology theories as to 'WHY' this is, however, as you state yourself, it is how normal people are, how they think or how they feel, so how are you going to change their minds if you poke fun at them, call them delusional or use MEMEs to express your opinions.

In the end, it is up to every player themselves as to how they perceive this game, how they play and whether as MFF (or Stormcrow) states, the good use all the available mechanics and know how to improve and are impartial to the games oddities. Others just plod along.. 

Spoiler

TheBudgiesmuggler #76 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

Staff sergeant

• 37824 battles
  • [PXR] PXR

View PostEzz, on 10 December 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

I think Dezgames did something similar on one of his videos on Youtube

The_Salty_Brit_ #77 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

One simply does not..

• 14993 battles

View PostEzz, on 11 December 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

Unbalanced teams are given out to streamers, premium account holders and anyone playing against germi.

Fwiw, define unbalanced teams.

haha when I have time later I will either write something on my blog or go for a video to show how bad my teams were yesterday, I also ended with 55% penetration rates, my feelings is that Tanitha read this thread and altered my RNG to 45% instead of 25.. 

WoT is such a solid and fun game to play, there are so many good things that I can't write them all down here, I am sure it does not manipulate and it is fair to everyone in the same manner! 

(hopefully that should appease him, and I'll get my 25% back) :trollface:

Spoiler

Ezz #78 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77831 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostNot2MuchSauce, on 11 December 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

I think Dezgames did something similar on one of his videos on Youtube

I vaguely recall someone doing some testing but to be honest don't recall which particular aspect of RNG was being tested.

About the only aspect i've tested was around the concept of baddie RNG. A ~50% account and a ~60% account were used to shoot an e100 over and over with a low alpha gun and the damage totals were compared with kill shots excluded. I don't remember how many shots we took but after well over a hundred each with the final damage count difference being extremely small. Sadly i can't recall the actual variation but suffice to say it dispelled the theory that baddies got better damage rolls at least.

TheBudgiesmuggler #79 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

Staff sergeant

• 37824 battles
  • [PXR] PXR

View PostAdrianK, on 11 December 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

I can't help but wonder if you have read any of the previous posts in this thread.

​It's called an "opinion" thru perception of the game

FramFramson #80 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

Major

• 56798 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
+ Eleventy-billion points for Tintin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users