Neokai's Guide and Review Corner

salty teal

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

neokai #1 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 38122 battles

So hi, welcome to my corner. I'm neokai, a teal-green player on the Asia server who has been playing since 2013. My key strengths are a wide range of experiences in every tank type (300+ Ace badges across a variety of vehicles) and a passable ability to communicate in the written word.

This thread offers the following:

• Youtube vids of ace games, good games and sometimes a RNG-worthy vid, all taken from my channel.
  • Write-ups of matters of tactical interest
  • Help clinics for players through their service record or replays

The thread is mostly a depository, it will mix some current analysis with navel-gazing articles that also explore the why. Feel free to look through the thread, or explore the table of contents below for key highlights.

Spoiler

neokai #2 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 38122 battles

Table of Contents

1. What is Service Record Analysis?
  2. What is xTE?

Edited by neokai, 28 December 2017 - 01:47 AM.

Spoiler

neokai #3 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 38122 battles

Service Record Analysis

Edited by neokai, 22 April 2018 - 02:56 PM.

Spoiler

neokai #4 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 38122 battles

Replays and Tactics

Edited by neokai, 22 April 2018 - 02:56 PM.

Spoiler

Darksider267 #5 Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

wait, I can change this?

• 12238 battles
  • [MYTH] MYTH
Coolio, GL with it. 

NA Transferree

3 marks: Object 140, IS-7, T110E5, WZ-111 111 1 1 11 1-4, T-10, M103, IS-3, T26E4, T32, T29, Type 64

neokai #6 Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 38122 battles

What is Service Record Analysis?

Your personal service record is chock full of useful data, if you know what to look out for. This article breaks down the service record, explaining the various parts and how to use the data to better understand yourself.

You will see the term "significant number of battles" crop up from time to time. This is a term taken from statistical math and basically means that if we have enough random data of the same type we can actually generalize statements as truth. This is important because statistics is the science of cancelling out noise from random events so that we can glean an understanding of the fundamental nature of a player. And from that understanding, we can figure out what and possibly how to improve.

• A significant number of battles for a player's overall lifetime is 5,000 battles, sometimes 10,000 battles. Less than 5,000 battles and you are considered new to the game.
  • A significant number of battles for a player's recent play is 1,000 battles. This gives a strong idea of how the player is performing recently, which is why 3rd party metrics like XVM specifically have a 1,000 battle filter together with the daily, weekly and monthly filters.
  • A significant number of battles for a player's play in a specific tank is 100 battles. Of course, more battles is better but with 100 battles you can draw some conclusions about how a player handles that particular tank.

Summary View

Spoiler

Statistics View

Spoiler

A sample Analysis

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #7 Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20740 battles
Im really wan to ask something about my game, but I dunno wat to ask.

THE ONLY REAL POWER COMES OUT OF A LONG RIFLE

crazib #8 Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

Captain

• 54452 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

a replay for u neokai, from last night's game

maybe do a tactical review on this?

Edited by crazib, 21 December 2017 - 09:40 PM.

Come visit my stream: twitch.tv/crazib

my replays thread

Steel_Spektor #9 Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 23064 battles
  • [SCREW] SCREW
How to use the T62A pl0x. I cant make it work for me. It seems like its always outclassed by other mediums, even spamming gold doesn't help me much. So is this tank still relevant? 

Arista_Skyfall #10 Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

Sergeant

• 14581 battles
Hey wanna do a clinic review of me? I'd be interested in your opinion.

Otakubouzu #11 Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

Major

• 15359 battles
Well, i am still curious. If you get time can you looked at my stat?

neokai #12 Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:18 AM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 38122 battles

Sample Service Record Analysis

Taken from this post:

Doing some rough analytics based on your profile and statistics. Some of it might be unflattering, so I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Spoiler 
Spoiler

Key highlights:

• 3k battles (new player without many established crews)
  • Survival rate is on the low end (27.18%)
  • Destruction ratio is okay, but damage ratio is low (0.8 damage ratio means that you are bleeding hp, doing 8 damage for every 10 hp you lose)
  • On the same note, average damage for your avg tier is low (450 at avg tier 5 is low, an average you should aim for tier 5 is 1,000 damage average per game)

At this point I will note that you have an okay stat for a player starting out, you aren't excelling, but you aren't sucking too badly either. There are some problem areas highlighted above, but your damage dealing looks okay-ish for someone starting out.

Looking through your most played tanks (ignoring the Matilda for now):

Spoiler

Damage ratios for each of these tanks are fairly poor (0.6 up to 0.8). Interestingly your kdr (kill-death ratios) are extraordinarily high for so little damage (0.8 up to 1.46?!). This implies that you are getting kill shots on severely weakened enemies for the most part to create that mismatch between damage and kills.

There are 4 possibilities:

1. You are withholding fire because you are passively spotting the enemy for the team (Unlikely - your spotting ratio is too low)
  2. You are sniping from the 2nd line and missing most of your shots (Unlikely - you have a 63% hit ratio)
  3. You are camping, or are waiting at locations where you have no shots on the enemy for a big portion of the battle. By the time the enemy makes their way to you, they have already defeated most of your team, which means you are heavily outnumbered by that point in the battle. It is unlikely at that point to turn around the battle, especially since you have little experience in fighting 1-on-many and probably lack the map control intel to make informed decisions. (Fits the data thus far)
  4. You have a tendency to lose lots of hp early game yoloing or attacking a lone enemy. (Kinda fits the data?)

Edited by neokai, 28 December 2017 - 01:50 AM.

Spoiler

FramFramson #13 Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:45 AM

Major

• 37850 battles

Say Neo, could you do me but just for performance in HTs? They feel like my worst class, by far.

I'm not sure if you can do just the past year or so. I doubt the older data will be of much value.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

neokai #14 Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:23 AM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 38122 battles

View PostArista_Skyfall, on 22 December 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

Hey wanna do a clinic review of me? I'd be interested in your opinion.

Pardon the wait, Xmas parties and getting caught up in the festive missions.

General stats

Spoiler

Nothing major to comment

• Key issue is that your win-rate is lagging behind your WN8 (57% is not spectacular when you are pushing purple damage values on average)
  • Speculation for why is that while your kills per game (your kpg is 1.3 vs  my 1.23) is better, your kill/death ratio (kdr) and damage ratio (dr) values are not that much further ahead of me, which is odd for a player that is at least 1 WN8 band ahead of me.
  • To give you an idea of why this is significant, look at crazib's stats, who is in the same WN8 band as you (1.67 dr, 2.89 kdr and 1.53 kpg)

A deeper look into other stats to explain the kdr and dr, and some possible things to work on in your game.

• The only thing I'm sure of is that my 2% better survival rate and use of spgs has bridged that gap between us to create this mismatch - consider how to prolong survival in-game.
  • It could be a case of legacy data, though that is unlikely (more than half your battles are in tanks you seem to be comfortable with, with 300+ battles each)
  • Another possibility is that you are not sneaking enough shots at enemies that cannot shoot you back, so a lot of engagements end up being trades. This is kinda verified by your 69% hit ratio and the high average tier you play (almost all trades  are in your favour, doubly so with autoloaders like the Skoda twins, Emil series etc)
  • Just from the data alone it looks like you and I play somewhat similarly, just that you do everything that much better; the issue with my playstyle is that I fail to pursue decisive fights in the mid-game, Kills made in the mid-game (when most folks have <50% hp) affect outcomes strongly. In my case, it is because I either (A) bleed too much hp in the early game to have hp to spend for the mid-game kills or (B) I am out of position to challenge the key fights.

The main things I think are to be more willing to take incidental range shots in your non-autoloader meds and to work out how to decisively engage enemies for kills in mid-game without dying.

Interesting tidbits from looking through your history (collage in spoiler)

Spoiler
  • Your tank journey probably started with the British med line, German med line and Russian heavy line. As with any newbie, you sucked at the start (<50% win-rate, blahblah)
    • The Brit grind stopped at  tier 4, the German grind at tier 7, the Russian IS-7 you grinded out from scratch.
    • Somewhere along the IS-7 grind you worked out how to play, your jump in performance from T-28/KV-1 to the KV-1S/KV-85, then finally IS shows gradual gains.
      • The fact that this is probably the first tanks you spent >100 battles helped I think.
    • After that grind, you started the Obj-140 grind and skipped till T-34. Somewhere along this grind you worked out the intermediate skills to play and win games, from the T-43, T-44 and finally the moment when it "clicked" for you, the T-54.
  • You are a player who clearly does a lot of reading and planning (it's not a bad thing, you are definitely more prepared than me).
    • You use free exp to skip several grinds, e.g. Czech meds, Swedish LT/MTs, most lower tiers
    • Looking at your tank history, this habit started with the Obj 140 and the Japanese MTs.
  • You strongly favour turreted tanks with mobility.
    • The only non-turreted vehicle besides the 3 spgs on record is the Su-122/44
    • Only "slow" tank is the Super Pershing, even the heavies you play are the "speedier" variety, e.g. IS-7 instead of IS-4. I also get a strong sense that you only grinded the IS-7 because of a legacy grind from when you started, and the tanks are CW-meta.
    • Consider grinding the Chinese HT line and the American autoloader line, they are comfortable for your playstyle.

Edited by neokai, 27 December 2017 - 02:29 AM.

Spoiler

Ensign_Brendoonigan #15 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:44 AM

Staff sergeant

• 5767 battles
  • [WOT-U] WOT-U

Hiya Neokai. What's xTE you have in the screenshots between the XP and Mastery columns.

Cheers

Ensign

To Leopard 1, or not to Leopard 1 is the question!

British Line (Conqueror & Challenger), Chinese Lines (T34-2, 111 5A & WZ-131), French Line (AMX M4 mle. 45), German Line (Leopard PTA), Italian Line (P43.ter). 

2nd MOE: PZ III/IV, T-34

DeadArashi #16 Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

Imperium Tech Priest

• 12510 battles
  • [FRAP] FRAP
colour me curious for an analysis 

jackspurell #17 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

Major

• 27760 battles
do a review on me too please :A
giving me guides on what i should focus to improve upon would be appreciated :a

Jagdpanzer_General #18 Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

The General Artist

• 35074 battles

Do a Checkup on my stat please? :3

Just curious :3

I will wait for 2 weeks :3

"Trust your Tank, She will carry you to Victory"

Skill, Luck, RNGesus, and Love

"Don't trust your Team, Trust in Your Friend and Yourself"

crazib #19 Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

Captain

• 54452 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN
analyse my stats for the LULz

Come visit my stream: twitch.tv/crazib

my replays thread

neokai #20 Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:02 AM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 38122 battles

View PostOtakubouzu, on 22 December 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

Well, i am still curious. If you get time can you looked at my stat?

Edit: Urgh, the editor ate my draft. Have to retype.

General stats

Spoiler

Main observations:

• kill-death ratio (0.9kdr) is subpar together with damage ratio (0.81dr)
  • Spotting ratio is good (1.28) - implies you are not hanging back
  • kill-per-game (kpg) is particularly poor (0.73)
  • Win rate is higher than expected (51.2%)
  • Survival rate is very poor (18.7%)
  • Cap/defence points are anomalous.

Key metric you want to work on are kills. Not saying to hold fire and kill-steal; Rather it's to get into parts of the map where the fight is happening and bring your gun in. More chances to shoot means more chances to kill something, and clearing the enemy tanks gives you more space to either kill more enemies, or to cap.

Increasing survival rate to a healthier level like 20% to 25% is another metric to work on. Staying alive, even if not to the end of the battle makes you a bigger threat to the enemy.

Your win-rate is higher than expected, until you see the huge amount of cap points under your record. For comparison I have close to triple your battle count, but only just double your cap points. Conversely, your def points are low in comparison. This implies you have trouble repositioning to meet an upcoming situation (e.g. reset cap attempts). The picture in my mind is of you pushing a single lane in all-out attack mode like a certain Senshado school, while singing Snow Advance...

Your most played tanks fall into 2 categories - Derp or HT.

Derps

Spoiler

HTs

Spoiler

Your Derps do significantly better than your HTs, and it is reflected in the win-rate.

• You can see how increasing kdr from 1.0 to 1.3 can lead to a 3% WR increase (Tiger I --> VK36 --> Jumbo --> M4)
  • VK36 --> Tiger I --> T34 shows how you can be doing similar things but get less effective over tiers. The enemy at higher tiers become more aware and you have to up your game to compete.
  • ARL-44 is a significant outlier without a plausible explanation.

Edited by neokai, 28 December 2017 - 02:05 AM.

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users