Template MM is a catastrophe.

And it is getting worse

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Brave_Sir_Robin #1 Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:55 AM

Sergeant

• 18714 battles
  • [AAS] AAS

So IMHO the jury is well and truly in. Be it Circonflexes, Lemmingrush, Quickybaby or my own experiences and chat anecdotes template based MM is now widely agreed to be a miserable failure. The idea that special game modes would suck enough tier X tanks out of pubby battles to allow tier VIII to frequently be top tier just hasn't happened. Tier VIII - the heart of the game, home of all premium tanks, arguably previously the most interesting tier - has been utterly and completely [Redacted] over. Worst of all, if anything blow out results (IMHO anything less than 15-6) seem (yes I know anecdote doesn't cut with all the OCD keyboard maths professors out there) to be becoming more common - at least in the opinion of pro streamers like QB and Circonflexes. Template based MM has encouraged a rush to tier X which means that tier is infested with players who skill level and map awareness means they should still really be playing Tier VI-VII with a tier VIII premium or two - and when they get killed easily by slightly better players, the surviving Tier X tanks (esppecially the OP super heavies) just slaughter the tier VIIIs.

The questions are, did Wargames REALLY introduce template based MM to try and fix the matchmaker, or did they actually do it to force Tier VIII players to fire premium (ka-ching goes the cash register) ammo to try and stay competitive? And has anyone heard of any plan to revert to the old MM?

Edited by Centurion_IRL, 13 January 2018 - 07:01 AM.
Dont try to bypass the filter please

User_000125661 #2 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:29 AM

Staff sergeant

• 20235 battles
In the current MM, tier 8 is not competitive (unless you are a unicom) but it can still be an effective tier.  As a tier 8 in a tier 10 match don't expect to be anything except a support tank.  Teams that get that win.  Teams that don't lose.  I find there are 2 ways to lose badly in these matchups - the tier 8's give up and yolo (what I used to do) or the top tier tanks who may not be the best of players do not get support from lower tier good players and just die.  Survival in these matchups means working better as a team and that may be what WG is trying to promote!  Although the quoted streamers are good players - they like farming damage and kills.  They like to have/take control.  Of course in tier 8 in a tier 10 matchup this is far more difficult.  They can't get the same results consistently because now they have to rely on others.  Some people just don't like that level of loss of control!

Sir_Direkin #3 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:27 AM

Captain

• 8920 battles
You forgot to mention ways 3 and 4 to lose badly, both of which occurred in tonights session when I moved my crew into a brand spanking new T-44: 3) top tiers not only aren't good, but don't get support from lower tiers because they're behind the "support", and 4) 13 players in the team decide to lemming rush into one teeny tiny part of the map, allowing the enemy team to easily surround everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: AMX 12t, KV-85, M24 Chaffee, T-50

Ezz #4 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:49 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60599 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I find it remarkable that it took 'the jury' as long as it did to work this out. It was pretty obvious even on the drawing board that the new mm would shaft the mid tiers. The fact wg put all that marketing spin into it makes you wonder how dumb they think we are. 

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

jpkiwi #5 Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:30 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 23342 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

Wow...Been in about 20 battles..  Up against blues/purples plats ..most times Have green /yellows on the team..just a f&^king mess. 

You try to work around it..but Gezzzzzz  it takes the fun out of the game real fast.

Edited by jpkiwi, 13 January 2018 - 07:32 AM.

History is the most dangerous product ever concocted by the chemistry of the intellect. It causes dreams, inebriates nations, saddles them with false memories … keeps their old sores running, torments them when they are not at rest, and induces in them megalomania and the mania of persecution.

_Spawny_ #6 Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 47938 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO
Don't use xvm and everyone is Grey... Just saying. 

BrutalOlyx #7 Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Sergeant

• 26920 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

The current matchmaking is far better than the previous matchmaking, well the mirrored matchmaking aspect anyway. I remember when I first started playing this game where one team would have 7 top tier 8 tanks (5x IS3 , 2x IS6 ) matched against 4 tier 8 tanks ( 2xTiger II, and IS3 and a Comet) and you would stuck in a Cromwell and it was a joke.I f*&king hated the old matchmaking, auto lose scenarios are much rarer now.

But tier8 is broken, so is tier6. If you stick to certain tanks in certain tier, you can game the Matchmaking beautifully but I do miss playing tier6 and tier8 tanks.

I think the general consensus is a preference of 5/10 matchmaking and I would pay extra money to WG if I could have every game 5/10 MM

Ezz #8 Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60599 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
The old mm with a fix for top tier imbalances would have been ideal. 

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Ensign_Brendoonigan #9 Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

Staff sergeant

• 5201 battles
  • [WOT-U] WOT-U

5/10 would be a real issue atm for them to implement as they have quite a few pref MM tanks whose only benefit is the pref MM. You'd also have to play the nerf hammer game on a number of normal premiums as well,  and I doubt WG would want to go there.

What's best for the game and community acceptance are poles a part at the moment, so unless players want to see wholesale changes I feel we're pretty much stuck with what we have. 

Ensign

Forever fighting the endless war against those blasted reds!

British Line (Conqueror), Chinese Lines (T34-1, 111 5A & WZ-131), French Line (AMX M4 mle. 45), German Line (Indien Panzer), Italian Line (P43.bis). 

2nd MOE: PZ III/IV, T-34

Muds_Revenge #10 Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 31450 battles
  • [NZAD] NZAD

The dev diaries in which they so proudly announced their MM fix by using the 3/5/7 formula has changed recently here on SEA.

I do not know if this is the AUS/NZ server specific due to compensation for low server population and players only playing high tiers, or if it is the case for WoT globally.

I talk of seeing MM teams of 2/4/9 or 3/3/9, both of which I have been subjected to lately, as I also mostly play tier 8 prems and am most often in the bottom tier.

Unfortunately it only takes 1 tier 10 to literally steam roll through an entire front line defense of tier 8s, to which I am victim to witnessing all too often.

From what I can ascertain with the HQ development of the game, or evolution, is that the current MM is a win win scenario for WG, and they continue to tweak this formula even higher and higher, (extracting dollars from customers).

After all they are a legitimate business.

To play tier 10s is very expensive, to grind to a tier 10 is very expensive, the player model is tweaked towards (a) regular player who wishes to compete in clan wars, tourneys whatever, having:

an active premium account,

at least 1 tier 8 premium tank,

carrying some premium ammunition for emergencies.

IF the MM was modified specifically for the AUS/NZ server, its most interesting to note someone, somewhere has the ability to make changes as such.

FYI, I just got a tier 2 russian SPG as I'd like to start the grind, but can't get many battles. Something urgently needs to be done, I am confident we will see the introduction of bots in lower tiers very soon.

They use them in both WoWP ad WoWS.

Also FYI, WoWS server population matches the combined AUS/NZ and SING server pops for WoT.

With low tier battles being non existent, there are no new players, no server growth, bottom line.

FramFramson #11 Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Major

• 34740 battles
For probably the thousandth time: Bring back 5/5/5

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

FramFramson #12 Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

Major

• 34740 battles

View PostEzz, on 13 January 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

This is what I was expecting, initially. I honestly have no idea why they chose the formula they did. Having so few top tiers only promotes lopsided play, as the game can depend on as few as 1-2 players making 1-2- mistakes (or having "not chosen the right tank", like when TX is 1 SPG each team, 1 TX LT, and I'm in my STB and the other guy's in a damn Bat-Chat).

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #13 Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Is the order a blue mountain?

• Beta-Tester
  • 65532 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

View PostEzz, on 13 January 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

But maybe the old MM worked exactly because it was skill-based?

I'm a simple person - If you don't dare to upload your replays, I assume you downloaded your skill

CardinalMite #14 Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

First lieutenant

• 26514 battles

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 13 January 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

But maybe the old MM worked exactly because it was skill-based?

No it wasn’t. 

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

FramFramson #15 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

Major

• 34740 battles
The old MM would randomly toss out free wins due to serious imbalances in tank types or mismatched amounts of top tiers, which was frankly ridiculous. It was 2016/2017 and they were still claiming that a program script to write a simple check on two numbers was unworkable?

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #16 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

Is the order a blue mountain?

• Beta-Tester
  • 65532 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

View PostFramFramson, on 13 January 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

The old MM would randomly toss out free wins due to serious imbalances in tank types or mismatched amounts of top tiers, which was frankly ridiculous. It was 2016/2017 and they were still claiming that a program script to write a simple check on two numbers was unworkable?

I'm pretty sure the current MM tosses out even more free wins and losses with all the bottom tier battles.

I'm a simple person - If you don't dare to upload your replays, I assume you downloaded your skill

Ezz #17 Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60599 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
If you're playing mid tiers (ie not 9s and 10s) you get less influence than you did before, hence most people's win rates will trend closer to the mean.

DanLBob #18 Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 22372 battles
  • [LUCK] LUCK

Well having returned from a couple of years playing Queue Warfare where any battle you did manage to get into would have four tiers in it Its just nice to be able to play a game.

Dan

Holeinthehead #19 Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 50259 battles
  • [PANZA] PANZA

View PostEzz, on 12 January 2018 - 10:49 PM, said:

it makes you wonder how dumb they think we are. 

Past history suggests they think we have the IQ of a dead dodo .

Sig number 6 gone . In Armageddon - Day 1.  Note the date .

You're a weird mob . I'd like to go quietly into the night . I understand Mods are here to stay . I understand Mission / SH / CW rigging is here to stay .

I'll not bother the forums with these things . Let me go in peace . Not sure though why I cannot try and get cheap gold if it's ok for others to do .

FramFramson #20 Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:16 AM

Major

• 34740 battles

View PostHoleinthehead, on 13 January 2018 - 11:16 PM, said:

Past history suggests they think we have the IQ of a dead dodo .

Well... some of the players on this server...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users