which country's tank destroyers to pick?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

tRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA #1 Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

Private

• 741 battles
hi i just started wot and after a couple of matches i decided to play tank destroyer so question here is which country's tank destroyer should i use and any tips on playing tank destroyer?

The_average_tanker #2 Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

Wallet warrior extraordinaire!

• 9031 battles
  • [MCOAJ] MCOAJ
Go down the American turreted and non turreted lines. Good tanks. 

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #3 Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 19812 battles
German are pretty good for newbie, and got some solid high tier too. Stay in the back, get camo on crew, shoot stuff from far. If you dont have target to shoot, move somewhere else till you have em.

''Ring around a rosie, a pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down..''

An Ultimate solution for gold and arty problem, hold your tears, and click here, salvation is near---

tRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA #4 Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:42 PM

Private

• 741 battles

View PostThe_average_tanker, on 02 February 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

Go down the American turreted and non turreted lines. Good tanks. 

oh actually i randomly went for the american td .i thought about it for quite abit and just upgraded to the t40...well i haven't gotten any kills thus far though with the t40...still adapting to the t40's slower moving speed and longer reloading time from using the t56.

View Postjessica_raven, on 02 February 2018 - 10:09 PM, said:

German are pretty good for newbie, and got some solid high tier too. Stay in the back, get camo on crew, shoot stuff from far. If you dont have target to shoot, move somewhere else till you have em.

ok i'll go try building the german td and see how that goes...so i'm not wrong to say i should be equipping camo nets and sniping targets and not bringing the fight to them like how i see some people using td are right?

AKASHA178 #5 Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:55 AM

Smurfette

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 32511 battles
  • [CRAZY] CRAZY

View PosttRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA, on 02 February 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

hi i just started wot and after a couple of matches i decided to play tank destroyer so question here is which country's tank destroyer should i use and any tips on playing tank destroyer?

depending on how you play and whats your game style, USA tanks could use them as pusher as well as some German and russian (which will be changed soon) 

USA line was cool the time when alpha was 1k now is so so, frog TD are good but u die grinding them, UK is much fun to play go for it and enjoy HESH people or melt them down in less than a min  

Swedish line is the best and its noob friendly 

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

more than 400 new vehicles are still planned for World of Tanks

tRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA #6 Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:22 AM

Private

• 741 battles

View PostAKASHA178, on 03 February 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

depending on how you play and whats your game style, USA tanks could use them as pusher as well as some German and russian (which will be changed soon) 

USA line was cool the time when alpha was 1k now is so so, frog TD are good but u die grinding them, UK is much fun to play go for it and enjoy HESH people or melt them down in less than a min  

Swedish line is the best and its noob friendly 

i have no idea really what my playing style is i'm still figuring it out actually...whichever allows me to land kills i guess but aww man i'm keep getting wrecked using the t40...it's frustrating because i'm too noob and keep missing...btw what's the meaning of the word alpha used here?

AKASHA178 #7 Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:46 AM

Smurfette

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 32511 battles
  • [CRAZY] CRAZY

View PosttRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA, on 03 February 2018 - 02:22 AM, said:

i have no idea really what my playing style is i'm still figuring it out actually...whichever allows me to land kills i guess but aww man i'm keep getting wrecked using the t40...it's frustrating because i'm too noob and keep missing...btw what's the meaning of the word alpha used here?

alpha referring to the gun main damage or simply how much damage your shell cause when hit the target  

for instance: T34 (tier 8) shell damage is 400 (might hit less than 400 which been called low role or more than 400 which been called high role but base damage of the shell is 400 )

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

more than 400 new vehicles are still planned for World of Tanks

teljanin #8 Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:15 AM

Corporal

• 4380 battles
  • [-2AR-] -2AR-

Each line has different characteristics. Germans tend to have accurate guns, for instance, and Russians tend to do more damage per shot.

Personally, I'd suggest the American turreted tank destroyers to start with. Until you get to higher tiers they tend to be better suited to camping at mid- to long-range and sniping. Standard equipment tends to be rammer, camo net and binos. They don't have any armour to speak of, and not a lot of hit points, so trying to mix it up closer to the front lines probably won't go well for you (at least unless your experience, map awareness and skill improve with time).

Always watch your mini-map so you can see if/when you need to relocated to support your team.

An advantage of the turreted tank destroyers is both your camo net and binos only work after you have been stationary for 3 seconds. In a non-turreted tank destroyer, every time your hull shifts even slightly so you can focus your gun on an enemy tank you lose the benefit of both pieces of equipment. Having a moving turret means your equipment is more useful to you, more often.

A couple tips:

1. If possible, after sighting an enemy tank pull back behind a bush so the leaves are solid before shooting. Means you won't be spotted when you shoot.

2. Keep an eye on the mini-map. If you can position your tank destroyer so you are shooting at tanks situated between the white circle (maximum view range) and the outer circle (max render range) you can shoot at those tanks even standing in the open and they can't see you at all.

Both of these tips are little help in small maps or city maps, of course.

Edited by teljanin, 03 February 2018 - 05:16 AM.

tRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA #9 Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

Private

• 741 battles

View PostAKASHA178, on 03 February 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

alpha referring to the gun main damage or simply how much damage your shell cause when hit the target  

for instance: T34 (tier 8) shell damage is 400 (might hit less than 400 which been called low role or more than 400 which been called high role but base damage of the shell is 400 )

ah i see so the american td got nerfed?

View Postteljanin, on 03 February 2018 - 05:15 AM, said:

Each line has different characteristics. Germans tend to have accurate guns, for instance, and Russians tend to do more damage per shot.

Personally, I'd suggest the American turreted tank destroyers to start with. Until you get to higher tiers they tend to be better suited to camping at mid- to long-range and sniping. Standard equipment tends to be rammer, camo net and binos. They don't have any armour to speak of, and not a lot of hit points, so trying to mix it up closer to the front lines probably won't go well for you (at least unless your experience, map awareness and skill improve with time).

Always watch your mini-map so you can see if/when you need to relocated to support your team.

An advantage of the turreted tank destroyers is both your camo net and binos only work after you have been stationary for 3 seconds. In a non-turreted tank destroyer, every time your hull shifts even slightly so you can focus your gun on an enemy tank you lose the benefit of both pieces of equipment. Having a moving turret means your equipment is more useful to you, more often.

A couple tips:

1. If possible, after sighting an enemy tank pull back behind a bush so the leaves are solid before shooting. Means you won't be spotted when you shoot.

2. Keep an eye on the mini-map. If you can position your tank destroyer so you are shooting at tanks situated between the white circle (maximum view range) and the outer circle (max render range) you can shoot at those tanks even standing in the open and they can't see you at all.

Both of these tips are little help in small maps or city maps, of course.

ah i see then perhaps i should have researched for the m8a1?but in anycase i'm still trying to figure out how to be better at using the t40 because i keep being one of the first few to get killed

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #10 Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 19812 battles

View PosttRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA, on 02 February 2018 - 10:42 PM, said:

ok i'll go try building the german td and see how that goes...so i'm not wrong to say i should be equipping camo nets and sniping targets and not bringing the fight to them like how i see some people using td are right?

Yeah, thats good for a start. You going to face plyrs with 3-4 skill crew, camo wont help you much if you using stock crew, but thats better than nothing. Dont stay to long below T5, powergrind to maybe tier 7 and starts building good crew there. Get yourself a tier 7 prem to boost it. Tier 8 are to harsh now even for veterans :D.

''Ring around a rosie, a pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down..''

An Ultimate solution for gold and arty problem, hold your tears, and click here, salvation is near---

kookookichoo #11 Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

the ginchiest

• 17192 battles
  • [-2AR-] -2AR-

View Postjessica_raven, on 03 February 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

Yeah, thats good for a start. You going to face plyrs with 3-4 skill crew, camo wont help you much if you using stock crew, but thats better than nothing. Dont stay to long below T5, powergrind to maybe tier 7 and starts building good crew there. Get yourself a tier 7 prem to boost it. Tier 8 are to harsh now even for veterans :D.

going above tier 3/4 in a TD without 6th sense can be a pretty dismal experience...insta-death does not enhance your gameplay experience

i would advocate a slower progression method in the turreted US TD line:

• switch to m8a1 (which is a blast) and grind it until yer commander gets 6th sense (do camo 1st, then reset to 6th when ur about 40% on 2nd skill)
  • then get a t67 and stat pad to yer hearts content...

it will take longer to advance, but you will probably have more fun and success than braving tier 7 without 6th sense...

another fun fun path is the hetzer (German tier 4) with the 10.5 derp gun...so many lols...

Edited by kookookichoo, 04 February 2018 - 08:01 AM.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #12 Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

Destroyer of WoT

• 19812 battles
Its faster to have 6th sense playing high tier prem compared to tier 3/4. You be facing pretty much same lvl of opponent and will have about the same win%. Better to grind for it in high tier while making more credit too.

tRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA #13 Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

Private

• 741 battles

View Postjessica_raven, on 03 February 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

I'm not that good yet looks like i'll be stuck at tier 4 for some time...

View Postkookookichoo, on 04 February 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

going above tier 3/4 in a TD without 6th sense can be a pretty dismal experience...insta-death does not enhance your gameplay experience

i would advocate a slower progression method in the turreted US TD line:

• switch to m8a1 (which is a blast) and grind it until yer commander gets 6th sense (do camo 1st, then reset to 6th when ur about 40% on 2nd skill)
  • then get a t67 and stat pad to yer hearts content...

it will take longer to advance, but you will probably have more fun and success than braving tier 7 without 6th sense...

another fun fun path is the hetzer (German tier 4) with the 10.5 derp gun...so many lols...

so i'll go for hetzer instead of marder 38t?

Profanisaurus #14 Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:57 AM

le sigh

• 2012 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

The Hetzer is forgiving in tier 4 but much less use if you hit a tier 6 game.  The Marder 38t is more competitive if you are low tiered in the MM.

Keys. 

Turn on the view range circles on your mini map and make sure you are using the space between draw range and the enemy view range.

If you are doing the spotting and you know you have supporting fire resist firing - don't be afraid to be a passive scout if it helps the team.

Understand bushing mechanics.

Look around Youtube for videos of good players playing these tanks (being low tier they are rare but there are some around).

Understand that TDs are a class that has been reamed by recent map design.

My ranking of the tier 4 TDs (from someone with well over 5k battles in them):

T40 - With the M1A1.  The Derp is fine in tier 4 where you can drive up and smack them but you will see more tier 5 and 6 games than tier 4 so use the M1A1.

SU-85b

M8A1

SU-76G FT - Should be the same as the 85B but just not as stealthy and the gun handling is more frustrating.

Marder 38t - Needs more ammo.

Alecto - With the 6 pdr.

Sav m/43 - Tank gun.

Hetzer

STuG III Ausf B

Sav m/43 - Derp.

SAU-40 - Perhaps the second best excuse for Free XP in the game.  Between two excellent tanks in the line.

Are you playing primarily on ANZ cluster or Singapore?

Edited by Profanisaurus, 07 February 2018 - 06:27 AM.

tRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA #15 Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

Private

• 741 battles

View PostProfanisaurus, on 07 February 2018 - 05:57 AM, said:

The Hetzer is forgiving in tier 4 but much less use if you hit a tier 6 game.  The Marder 38t is more competitive if you are low tiered in the MM.

Keys.

Turn on the view range circles on your mini map and make sure you are using the space between draw range and the enemy view range.

If you are doing the spotting and you know you have supporting fire resist firing - don't be afraid to be a passive scout if it helps the team.

Understand bushing mechanics.

Look around Youtube for videos of good players playing these tanks (being low tier they are rare but there are some around).

Understand that TDs are a class that has been reamed by recent map design.

My ranking of the tier 4 TDs (from someone with well over 5k battles in them):

T40 - With the M1A1.  The Derp is fine in tier 4 where you can drive up and smack them but you will see more tier 5 and 6 games than tier 4 so use the M1A1.

SU-85b

M8A1

SU-76G FT - Should be the same as the 85B but just not as stealthy and the gun handling is more frustrating.

Marder 38t - Needs more ammo.

Alecto - With the 6 pdr.

Sav m/43 - Tank gun.

Hetzer

STuG III Ausf B

Sav m/43 - Derp.

SAU-40 - Perhaps the second best excuse for Free XP in the game.  Between two excellent tanks in the line.

Are you playing primarily on ANZ cluster or Singapore?

erm i'm trying to do what what i saw in videos regarding td, sniping behind cover, not being too close to the main attacking crew and supporting them in dealing damage to the enemy tanks but most of the time i get too focused on trying to take out the enemy that i forget i'm already out in the open which results in me being slaughtered...yeah i'm still have loads to improve on.

so is the hetzer and marder 38t like how it is for t40 and m8a1 where t40 has slower movement speed but has higher armor and the other has higher movement speed and lower armored?

er for the m1a1 on t40...do you mean the 76mm gun or the 75mm howitzer? well strangely i can barely anything with the howitzers but i'm doing better equipping the 76mm m1a1 though...

i'm playing on the singapore server.

Edited by tRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA, 07 February 2018 - 02:11 PM.

Profanisaurus #16 Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:21 AM

le sigh

• 2012 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

I meant the 76mm M1A1.  It also has a 105mm Howitzer option.  This will absolutely ruin people in tier 4 and some tier 5s but the accuracy (as you have seen from the 76 howitzer is bad).

Hetzer vs Marder is slightly different.  The Hetzer has better armour than a T40 and 105mm Howitzer option that as above will ruin things but the accuracy and penetration are challenging.  The Marder 38t is more similar to the T40.

tRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA #17 Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:05 AM

Private

• 741 battles

View PostProfanisaurus, on 08 February 2018 - 05:21 AM, said:

I meant the 76mm M1A1.  It also has a 105mm Howitzer option.  This will absolutely ruin people in tier 4 and some tier 5s but the accuracy (as you have seen from the 76 howitzer is bad).

Hetzer vs Marder is slightly different.  The Hetzer has better armour than a T40 and 105mm Howitzer option that as above will ruin things but the accuracy and penetration are challenging.  The Marder 38t is more similar to the T40.

yes the accuracy and the penetration of the 76mm m1a1 is much better than the howitzers in exchange for lesser damage i noticed and thus far i still rarely hit when i try sniping using the howitzers forcing me to bring the fight to them...yeah i actually went and gotten the hetzer and kinda regretted it almost immediately because the stock hetzer is SO SLOW(i think that's why it has so many engine upgrades)...so er are there advantages of using AP rounds vs HE rounds? are there tanks that are more vulnerable to AP and resistant to HE or vulnerable to HE and resistant to AP?

Edited by tRACEoNkANSHObAKUYA, 10 February 2018 - 12:06 AM.

Profanisaurus #18 Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

le sigh

• 2012 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
Open top tanks like the T40 are more vulnerable to HE than enclosed tanks like a Hetzer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users