Proloser's Badly Commentated Antics.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Proloser_The_Atomistic #1 Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:04 AM

No hOpE left.

• 26133 battles

Proloser's Badly Commentated Antics

> Go to Videos <

Hey guys. This post is the result of quite a positive reaction to me asking if you guys would like to see some of my replays being commented by yours truly... 

Ok so a bit about me and this experiment. Read on if you're interested :3

About Me

I'm a casual 21 y/o tanker who has been playing WoT for about 3 years now. Although I try to play4fun, my competitive nature means I hate sucking at things so I've slowly improved from a 45%-er with 500wn8 to where I am now. Obviously I would've stayed at bot level if it was not for the help from many of the guys here on the forums and namely Spacey (spacewolf) who took me under his wing a few years ago and got me to teal and dark blue (cheers man!). Also a big thanks to everyone that answered my n00b poasts over the time I've been here, it's been invaluable.

The Video Commentary Experiment

I wanted to kind of give back and help some players who genuinely want to improve since I was met with a ton of help when I was at that stage. This is why I have decided to experiment with some replay commentaries... as such the last few weeks I've been playing around trying to record videos and trying to learn how to speak to a computer without sounding like a complete [edited].

While I still sound like a [edited], it's not as [edited] as it was at first and it will hopefully get less [edited] over time should you guys want me to keep at it. Many thanks to Space, Saffee, Crazib, Ezz, Brit, and whoever else I spammed videos to check out (sorry if I missed anyone, thanks to all).

Please watch this video if you want a quick summary of what my plans are for the channel & whatnot.

Feedback

One big thing that I need is feedback. I need to know what to improve and what to change. Please keep in mind it's hard to process everything that people say that I need to change and due to that I can't guarantee that I can make a video perfect overnight. Please try to keep feedback helpful though, there's no point saying "that video sucks" because I won't know what to change.

Some things I'm already aware of are:

- My mic quality is bad. Will try to get a decent one if enough people want more videos.

- I speak a bit too monotone. Working on this.

- I have an Australian accent and that might grate some non-aussie listener's ears. Sorry, can't fix that unless I use text to speech lul.

- As for the actual commentary, I have tried to explain as much as I can from the replays but it is harder than you'd expect because I'm not playing live and can't give my exact thought process at the time. Even if I was recording live I wouldn't be able to talk much due to concentration. I am working on improving this though.

FAQ

Here are some questions that you might have...

Q. What are your motives? 

A. Just to help out some guys here on the forums who were wanting some explanation commentary that is relevant to the ASIA/ANZ meta. 

Q. What kind of videos will you make?

A. For now some commentaries. I was thinking of perhaps reviewing replays from you guys or maybe a simple bunch of videos with some more specific advice. Will have to see how this goes first.

Q. What is your bar for how 'good' a replay is and what kind of games will be put on the channel?

A. I want to show a range of replays on the channel. I don't want them to be all pubstomps that were easy wins and such replays will be filtered out so more heavy carries are posted showing dynamic play (is that even a thing in this game?). I will also upload some 'normal' games that are pretty much everyday things such as the Centurion AX video that I have posted down below. The idea is to give you guys videos that are realistic, not some "OMG 69K DAMAGE 29KILL CARRY" kind of thing. Those kind of games almost never happen and really are more down to luck than skill. It's all about consistency and that's what I want to try to show.

Q. What tiers do you play?

A. Tier 10 for fun (if you can call WoT fun..), 8 for funds.

Q. What tank class do you mainly play?

A. Mediums and Heavies.

Q. What tier 10's do you have in your garage?

A. IS-7, WZ-111 5A, VK 72.01K, Object 140, M48 Patton, Spagetto, Obj. 430U (Tanks researched but not currently bought: 113, Cent AX, TVP 50/51, T110E5, E100).

Q. What tanks will you get soonTM?

A. I will have a 113 next. Not sure what else after that. Perhaps a 4005 for memes or maybe a 430U. I'm dead broke in game and don't want to spend much more money on WoT so won't be free XP'ing any lines for a while.

Q. What are your statistics? Should I listen to your advice?

A. It's up to you to decide, stats are in the spoiler.

Spoiler

...finally

That's all folks. I hope these videos will be of some use to you and please let me know if you want more. I've made 3 in advance but I will hold off making any more until I see what kind of reaction I get from said videos. I've reserved a couple spots down below for video posting to separate them from this initial post. 

At the end of the day, it's just a small thing I've started for a test & some fun with no big expectations. If you guys don't like it, no big deal. It's not like I've wasted hours of my life editing and uploading the videos...     ....right?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read. Cheers guys!

Edited by Proloser_The_Atomistic, 28 May 2018 - 10:08 PM.

Proloser_The_Atomistic #2 Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:06 AM

No hOpE left.

• 26133 battles

Videos (9.22)

Edited by Proloser_The_Atomistic, 08 April 2018 - 09:51 AM.

Proloser_The_Atomistic #3 Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:07 AM

No hOpE left.

• 26133 battles

Videos (1.0)

Edited by Proloser_The_Atomistic, 25 April 2018 - 11:27 AM.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #4 Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:48 AM

First lieutenant

• 35961 battles

good work on the channel!

i watched the intro and the 1st replay and it looks good. My question is do you let grass visible in the sniper mode on in the settings or just in the replay? 

obj.140 seems to be a good tank, i am in a stock t44 right now waiting for some kind of incentive to grind that tree so i was interested only in that tank.

I have no critics/suggestions about the vids, it seems good for me. Unless you have a strong accent, you are not asian like i thought u were... but anyway GG!

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 25 March 2018 - 01:49 AM.

Having META problems?

#Hashtag break the META

(HAHAGHa i must have drank somethin)

https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)

FramFramson #5 Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:48 AM

Major

• 38648 battles

Voice audio sounds fine actually. Better gear and software would of course make it sharper, but you're perfectly easy to understand as it is and there's no distracting noise or anything like that.

As for the commentary, it's a wealth of information. A lot of good streamers won't speak throughout a match even when they're trying to do what you're doing because they're concentrating on playing. What you're doing by recording the dialogue afterwards allows non-stop commentary of your entire decision-making process for the entire battle, which is way more useful.

EDIT: The Audio is notably worse on the Westfield 5A video though... any reason why? Mic too close to your mouth maybe?

Edited by FramFramson, 25 March 2018 - 03:17 AM.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

spacewolf #6 Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:32 AM

I still think it's morally wrong so in fact I'm right.

• Beta-Tester
  • 69067 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

I'm very pleased to see this. I think you could have a very positive effect on the community, and potentially quite a few players. The style of presentation you've chosen is quite informative, and as a by product, entertaining.

Edit: I'm not convinced this should be in fan vids - it should probably go in game guides and tutorials.

Edited by spacewolf, 25 March 2018 - 03:51 AM.

Weebl #7 Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:40 AM

Captain

• 15004 battles
Voice quality is fine. You are not monotone, you just don’t do the fake enthusiastic. I love the talk through of what you were thinking and what the decision making process was.

I like.

FramFramson #8 Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:34 AM

Major

• 38648 battles

View Postspacewolf, on 25 March 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

Edit: I'm not convinced this should be in fan vids - it should probably go in game guides and tutorials.

+1

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

kl19442 #9 Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:27 AM

Upholder of Russian Bias

• 7193 battles
Looking pretty good - keep those videos coming out o7

"The longer the battle lasts the more force we'll have to use!"  

"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem."

Zhukov

Proloser_The_Atomistic #10 Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

No hOpE left.

• 26133 battles

View PostNameWasStolenStresslevel, on 25 March 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

good work on the channel!

i watched the intro and the 1st replay and it looks good. My question is do you let grass visible in the sniper mode on in the settings or just in the replay? 

obj.140 seems to be a good tank, i am in a stock t44 right now waiting for some kind of incentive to grind that tree so i was interested only in that tank.

I have no critics/suggestions about the vids, it seems good for me. Unless you have a strong accent, you are not asian like i thought u were... but anyway GG!

Thanks! Good question, no I don't use grass when I'm actually playing. It makes it hard to see over ridges. I only turn it on in replays to make things a bit easier on the eyes.

140 is my most played tank and probably (if I had to have only 1 tier 10) the only tank I would choose out of everything available. It's mix of mobility, strong turret, fantastic DPM, good gun handling and acceptable gun depression makes it ideal for any map.

What made you think I was Asian? :p

View PostFramFramson, on 25 March 2018 - 02:48 AM, said:

Voice audio sounds fine actually. Better gear and software would of course make it sharper, but you're perfectly easy to understand as it is and there's no distracting noise or anything like that.

As for the commentary, it's a wealth of information. A lot of good streamers won't speak throughout a match even when they're trying to do what you're doing because they're concentrating on playing. What you're doing by recording the dialogue afterwards allows non-stop commentary of your entire decision-making process for the entire battle, which is way more useful.

EDIT: The Audio is notably worse on the Westfield 5A video though... any reason why? Mic too close to your mouth maybe?

Good to know, thanks. Yes the audio is worse in the 5A vid. My other mic is on the blink and doesn't work properly so having to use an in-line mic in my headphones (which are only really for listening to music). I will look at picking up a decent headset but need to do some research on that first.

View Postspacewolf, on 25 March 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

I'm very pleased to see this. I think you could have a very positive effect on the community, and potentially quite a few players. The style of presentation you've chosen is quite informative, and as a by product, entertaining.

Thanks man :D Perhaps it should go there. I'll check with Neo to see if he can move it.

View PostWeebl, on 25 March 2018 - 04:40 AM, said:

Voice quality is fine. You are not monotone, you just don’t do the fake enthusiastic. I love the talk through of what you were thinking and what the decision making process was.

I like.

Thanks man, much appreciated! :)

View Postkl19442, on 25 March 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

Looking pretty good - keep those videos coming out o7

Cheers dude got another one I can work on today.

The_Salty_Brit_ #11 Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

One simply does not..

• 14993 battles

Congratulations on making the jump from testing to posting the Videos and what we should call possibly 'guides' for WoT tankers.. 

It isn't easy to throw yourself open to public criticism and ridicule, and I commend you on your positive and forward thinking attitude.  I have always found you to be an open honest and friendly informative guy, even with your Australian accent (haha) and I, as I hope many others will be, am looking forward to future videos and watching your progression as a Youtuber! 

Can't agree with you on the 140 though, the CAX is so much better (wink) if only it had some armor..   looking forward to your FV4005 vids, if I can get mine to be half as much fun as the Conway, I would be happy with it.. 

Keep it up and don't allow yourself to be deterred by the 'nay-sayers' , technical problems can be sorted out in time, but your personality is the thing that makes it work the most.. 

Thanks for the vids! 

(suggestions for future videos: Centurion 7/1 , TVP , and your go-to Tier 8s..  which ones do you use for 'funds' and why? )

2 MoEs : Crusader / Firefly  / Achilles / Comet / Caernarvon / Centurion 1 

Spoiler

MagicalFlyingFox #12 Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 29853 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Tier 8s for proloser will be the T-34-3 lol.

I'd have to agree with that because I love mine to bits, but the ELC EVEN is better because its funnier. 

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Proloser_The_Atomistic #13 Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

No hOpE left.

• 26133 battles

View PostSir_British, on 25 March 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

Congratulations on making the jump from testing to posting the Videos and what we should call possibly 'guides' for WoT tankers.. 

It isn't easy to throw yourself open to public criticism and ridicule, and I commend you on your positive and forward thinking attitude.  I have always found you to be an open honest and friendly informative guy, even with your Australian accent (haha) and I, as I hope many others will be, am looking forward to future videos and watching your progression as a Youtuber! 

Can't agree with you on the 140 though, the CAX is so much better (wink) if only it had some armor..   looking forward to your FV4005 vids, if I can get mine to be half as much fun as the Conway, I would be happy with it.. 

Keep it up and don't allow yourself to be deterred by the 'nay-sayers' , technical problems can be sorted out in time, but your personality is the thing that makes it work the most.. 

Thanks for the vids! 

(suggestions for future videos: Centurion 7/1 , TVP , and your go-to Tier 8s..  which ones do you use for 'funds' and why? )

Thanks mate, no, 140 is better- CAX is still good fun tho :p

Don't have a 7/1 unfortunately, I will have a TVP vid sometime and as for tier 8,s like MFF said, T-34-3. I am getting into my 59 a bit though now. They're both chinese so can swap the crew ez.

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 25 March 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

Tier 8s for proloser will be the T-34-3 lol.

I'd have to agree with that because I love mine to bits, but the ELC EVEN is better because its funnier. 

Yep and the 59 as of recently :p

_DiscoStu_ #14 Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:08 PM

Staff sergeant

• 26215 battles
  • [-WB-] -WB-
Nice work... keep it up! :)

I'm a much better player than I actually am... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChby0l_z0Lv_S0zLepFQ5sA

Proloser_The_Atomistic #15 Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:28 PM

No hOpE left.

• 26133 battles
Cheers m8!

kl19442 #16 Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

Upholder of Russian Bias

• 7193 battles
Are you going to do replay reviews? I've got some I might send over - not overly great though ;)

"The longer the battle lasts the more force we'll have to use!"  

"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem."

Zhukov

struth #17 Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

Crikey

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 44685 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

So glad you did this, I watched the intro, then the CAX game, can see your confidence in commentary went up heaps in a just a few vids.

Really good stuff man, I have 40k plus games and reckon I picked up a tip or two just watching the one CAX game.

Thanks.

Proloser_The_Atomistic #18 Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:07 PM

No hOpE left.

• 26133 battles

View Postkl19442, on 25 March 2018 - 06:13 PM, said:

Are you going to do replay reviews? I've got some I might send over - not overly great though ;)

I'm still trying to work that out. I don't want to be a copy of Zeven but at the same time I want to be able to help in that kind of way. One other thing to keep in mind is that I hate playing LTs and TDs and as such I suck at said classes and wouldn't be the best guy to come to for help with those. Suggestions are welcome!

View Poststruth, on 25 March 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

So glad you did this, I watched the intro, then the CAX game, can see your confidence in commentary went up heaps in a just a few vids.

Really good stuff man, I have 40k plus games and reckon I picked up a tip or two just watching the one CAX game.

Thanks.

Means a lot to see it helping some people already. Thanks for the comment man any suggestions on the commentary to improve it are obviously very welcome!

neokai #19 Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:55 PM

hunts pixels from red line

• Senior Moderator
  • 38513 battles

Moved to a more appropriate sub-forum by OP's request.

~neokai

Spoiler

NameWasStolenStresslevel #20 Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:10 AM

First lieutenant

• 35961 battles

View PostProloser_The_Atomistic, on 25 March 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Thanks! Good question, no I don't use grass when I'm actually playing. It makes it hard to see over ridges. I only turn it on in replays to make things a bit easier on the eyes.

140 is my most played tank and probably (if I had to have only 1 tier 10) the only tank I would choose out of everything available. It's mix of mobility, strong turret, fantastic DPM, good gun handling and acceptable gun depression makes it ideal for any map.

What made you think I was Asian? :p

I asked about the grass because most players especially unicums dont seem to use grass on sniper view, but for cosmetic reasons a number of players keep grass even in snipe mode, in the new patch that number of players might increase. In my client little woodsticks or even dirty, broken objects, fences and trees in the aim sigh doest show the tank's delineated silhuete, which is a little annoying but at least the shell isnt blocked (HE or HEAT). But the grass i just remove too on snipe mode since i have the option to do so. 

obj140 will be my next tier 10MT purchase (after leopard 1). That tank is really good for anything, it seems like a good all rounder.

I thought u were asian because i think i saw a screenshot of yours somewhere in the forum long time ago that showed your garage completly in chinese characters (not sure which dialect) then since then i had that image of you being an fluent english speaker chinese or taiwanese guy lol

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 26 March 2018 - 12:12 AM.

Having META problems?

#Hashtag break the META

(HAHAGHa i must have drank somethin)

https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users