Have you ever been targeted by Arty? Please submit your replay!

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

FramFramson #41 Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:42 AM

Major

• 36192 battles
I get it all the time when I'm in a TX tank or are otherwise top-tier. With only 3 TXs on a lot of teams, you're a super-important target.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

Doomsday1243 #42 Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

Private

• 2129 battles

I don't believe arties are the problem I believe most slow tanks have it unfair specifically HTS. I play alota big HTS cuz there fun like on blitz I got a 60% wr on my maus R6I7P9 Asia server but when I stated to play pc I found a problem and after a while I started to realize its not the arties its the maps, they don't provide enough cover some maps all the hts can do is sit behind a hill hoping they don't get spotted and most maps are MT dominated , whoever scouts first wins and only mt, lt and spgs have a say in who wins the game hts u cant do anything in because of the fact once u get spotted you'd get tracked by splashed to death. also spgs have it really easy u sit at the back splash and or stun people with no effort yet they get the same amount of xp and credtis as if you were a ht trying to bounce get shots in and avoid being hit by spgs so why do spgs get the same amount of xp and credits as other tanks that require more skills (note I said more skills I am aware it does require some skills to be an arty). war gaming could ether redo most maps since not all are mt and spg dominated like those city maps but even then mts and spgs still play a role whereas other maps that have very little cover hts have no option other than to snipe and hope there camo holds up. know I gotta find the send button(found it)

Edited by Doomsday1243, 04 April 2018 - 03:20 PM.

Puggsley #43 Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

Captain

• 59938 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

View PostDoomsday1243, on 04 April 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

I don't believe arties are the problem I believe most slow tanks have it unfair specifically HTS. I play alota big HTS cuz there fun like on blitz I got a 60% wr on my maus R6I7P9 Asia server but when I stated to play pc I found a problem and after a while I started to realize its not the arties its the maps, they don't provide enough cover some maps all the hts can do is sit behind a hill hoping they don't get spotted and most maps are MT dominated , whoever scouts first wins and only mt, lt and spgs have a say in who wins the game hts u cant do anything in because of the fact once u get spotted you'd get tracked by splashed to death. also spgs have it really easy u sit at the back splash and or stun people with no effort yet they get the same amount of xp and credtis as if you were a ht trying to bounce get shots in and avoid being hit by spgs so why do spgs get the same amount of xp and credits as other tanks that require more skills (note I said more skills I am aware it does require some skills to be an arty). war gaming could ether redo most maps since not all are mt and spg dominated like those city maps but even then mts and spgs still play a role whereas other maps that have very little cover hts have no option other than to snipe and hope there camo holds up. know I gotta find the send button(found it)

Like all other classes shooting targets they have not lit, the arty doing the damage only get half of the xp and credits. The other half goes to the spotters. 

azmania3000 #44 Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Captain

• 41420 battles
  • [BURN] BURN

View PostPuggsley, on 02 April 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

If anyone has a replay where they feel they were targeted by arty please post it on wotreplays and post the link below. Please add in a short descriptor, especially if you think you were unfairly targeted.

Thanks

This would have been A LOT easier before 1.0. Now I have to collect replays

If I remain concealed then arty has buckley's of doing anything to me. Reveal position, however,  and they'll throw everything including ther bootlaces.

I remember 1 game a fair time ago on Pilsen where Arty squeezed a round through a window to kill me...

I remember it because after we exchanged pleasentries he commented "555+ You don't understand what this means; I spent 5 minutes lining a shot on you"

XVM focus only works when enemies actually get their kill. It's really annoying to have a bunch of red-liners splash you for 5-10 minutes, until they lose a 3v1 fight where I didnt even do any fighting.

Dieselnuts #45 Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

Sergeant

• 10466 battles
  • [CZARS] CZARS

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4279590?secret=e29b0a80e7d3736fc9dd7f6e914b1f96

Had some minor focus at the start. Only fired at me 2 times whilst I was lit, then 1 blind shot. I realised I was being focused so I avoided giving him anymore shots.

Edited by Dieselnuts, 10 April 2018 - 04:28 PM.

Puggsley #46 Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

Captain

• 59938 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

Thanks Diesel, will reivew tonight mate

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #47 Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20172 battles
Hard to put replay here without self-shame backlash. If im getting focused by arty, its usually because I did something stupid :P

Anyone know how to put meme on sig, plss PM me, tq.

Ezz #48 Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:45 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 61630 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
BTW puggs, the community contributor thread is full of potential test subjects. 

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Sir_Direkin #49 Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:12 AM

Captain

• 9501 battles

Certainly had quite a bit of arty focus today. Playing the Löwe on Prokhorovka. I cringed when that map came up, and I can't say I didn't expect to get clicked over and over with such a large, slow, tank on a field like that. Shame the team collapsed anyway though. Still marveled at the accuracy of their M44 that hit every shot fired at me. Recently when I played my M44 I get hit rates in the order of 1 out of 17 shots, with misses going so far that they don't even splash, and that's with a BiA crew with aiming skills, but whatever.

View PostThingol, on 03 April 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

If counter-battery was more viable, arty could just shoot each other and everyone else would be happy with that.

So true. Even as an arty player I really hate arty.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: AMX 12t, KV-85, M24 Chaffee, T-50, T1 Heavy

neokai #50 Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 36971 battles

3 replays.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4284634#live_oaks-neokai-kv-3

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4284696#prokhorovka-neokai-tiger_p

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4284698#redshire-neokai-comet

Spoiler

Puggsley #51 Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

Captain

• 59938 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

Thanks guys, good point Ezz, i have mined it deeply already for the YETI lads but will cast wider.

Been on a WoWS session of late, reliving my pusser days.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #52 Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

First lieutenant

• 34581 battles

hey i thought i had already submitted my replay to this thread but apparently i must have forgot to click on the "post" icon.

I have been target by arty many times, because i mostly play light armored tanks, and greedy arty players prefer to shot me than to shoot mauses, so i have a plenty of replays of me being target by 2 or more arty. But these replays are not necessarily fun  to watch...

But i had an interesting match days ago that an arty player thought it would be a good idea to farm my hit points, this is how it ended:

(skip the video to 0:45 to see the actual arty focus)

:D:D:D:D:D

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4276017#fisherman_s_bay-namewasstolenstresslevel-leopard_prototyp_a

this is the day arty will know that they should pay attention to the game and map flow instead of focusing individual players.

PS i have done similar thing in airfield twice in my sheridan, so be advised arty players that i will FOCUS YOU if you focus me...

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 09 April 2018 - 10:35 AM.

Forum Guy: "All that Marks of Excelence does is to encourage Damage farming over winning".

Me: "YES sir, MOE does encourage dmg farm over winning, just like winning does encourages: YOLO, Camping far back, gold spamming,"world of capping" mindset, OP premium tier 8's purchases, chat rage, platooning to farm win ratio, toxicity, seal clubbing, arty spam etc..... So i guess winning is much more toxic and bad behavior than dmg farming???"  Wait a minute, wow no one has ever thought about that this way??? Then I must be a genius                                                                                                                                                            https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)

Puggsley #53 Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:33 PM

Captain

• 59938 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

View PostNameWasStolenStresslevel, on 09 April 2018 - 02:12 AM, said:

I have been target by arty many times, because i mostly play light armored tanks, and greedy arty players prefer to shot me than to shoot mauses, so i have a plenty of replays of me being target by 2 or more arty. But these replays are not necessarily fun  to watch...

this is the day arty will know that they should pay attention to the game and map flow instead of focusing individual players.

PS i have done similar thing in airfield twice in my sheridan, so be advised arty players that i will FOCUS YOU if you focus me...

Thanks for the replay, and nice blind shot!

However to be honest being shot once by arty is not at all what I define as being focused or farmed. 

My observations of that clip are 

• You know roughly where arty is (he has already been spotted) and can tell it is likely he has limited shots on the tanks in the city. The tanks on the 1/2 line are not spotting and likely not spotted by the enemy except the alpine tiger, who is pushing in a channel with arty cover. The middle is where targets, ie you, are being lit by the enemy.
  • The M40/43 has good gun arcs and that far back is possibly covering 1 lane on the flank and the middle without needing to move hull. He can be able to shoot another target more rapidly than a SPG with limited arc.
  • You shoot 3 times from the one bush (and probably the shot before as you were spotted at the start) and are spotted each time. The last shot before the arty shot, you are almost certainly still lit while you start driving back to the same bush.
  • You are really the only one lit for that entire clip, the tanks on both flanks are in cover and likely not lit much at all.
  • You have not been damaged by arty previously.

You were a high chance of the target for the next arty shot because your play was so predictable - you keep coming back to the same bush - and you are the only tank lit.

The analysis I do is to watch the replay several times, noting what tanks are likely to be lit, what you are doing and how arty shoots at you. Effectively the question I ask when determining if a player is being focused is "Are they choosing to shoot you repeatedly when other targets are lit?" Being shot once is a clear no, and even being shot a couple of times in a game when they have shot at other tanks in between is not being focused either - they are shooting at targets in a zone.   

It doesn't matter if the replays are fun or not. Watching now 41 hours of gameplay at 2x speed and recording details of each and every arty shot isn't really, but it is highly educational. Seeing how arty actually works, getting perspective on the new maps and above all watching these incredible players has been great.

Ones where you are targeted by 2 arty are exactly the sorts I want to watch. I want to understand the actual impact of arty, not form a view based on anecdotes.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #54 Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

First lieutenant

• 34581 battles

View PostPuggsley, on 09 April 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

Thanks for the replay, and nice blind shot!

However to be honest being shot once by arty is not at all what I define as being focused or farmed. 

My observations of that clip are 

• You know roughly where arty is (he has already been spotted) and can tell it is likely he has limited shots on the tanks in the city. The tanks on the 1/2 line are not spotting and likely not spotted by the enemy except the alpine tiger, who is pushing in a channel with arty cover. The middle is where targets, ie you, are being lit by the enemy.
  • The M40/43 has good gun arcs and that far back is possibly covering 1 lane on the flank and the middle without needing to move hull. He can be able to shoot another target more rapidly than a SPG with limited arc.
  • You shoot 3 times from the one bush (and probably the shot before as you were spotted at the start) and are spotted each time. The last shot before the arty shot, you are almost certainly still lit while you start driving back to the same bush.
  • You are really the only one lit for that entire clip, the tanks on both flanks are in cover and likely not lit much at all.
  • You have not been damaged by arty previously.

You were a high chance of the target for the next arty shot because your play was so predictable - you keep coming back to the same bush - and you are the only tank lit.

The analysis I do is to watch the replay several times, noting what tanks are likely to be lit, what you are doing and how arty shoots at you. Effectively the question I ask when determining if a player is being focused is "Are they choosing to shoot you repeatedly when other targets are lit?" Being shot once is a clear no, and even being shot a couple of times in a game when they have shot at other tanks in between is not being focused either - they are shooting at targets in a zone.   

It doesn't matter if the replays are fun or not. Watching now 41 hours of gameplay at 2x speed and recording details of each and every arty shot isn't really, but it is highly educational. Seeing how arty actually works, getting perspective on the new maps and above all watching these incredible players has been great.

Ones where you are targeted by 2 arty are exactly the sorts I want to watch. I want to understand the actual impact of arty, not form a view based on anecdotes.

i actually knew only the direction arty went because i spotted it in the start of the match. But i used the fire direction indicator to allign the shot to where i thought arty would be, (and calculated that it would be probably almost behind that rock) and it worked :D

i was top tier in that match and as you could see we had already a large advantage in numbers and HP so i was not really worried about getting shot once or twice by tier 8 arties or even by potential TDs hiding where the scorpion G was. But sometimes "still" being full hp doesnt necessarily means you havent been target by arty, for example if you hide behind a good cover you can still "feel" arty shells landing near you, without damaging your tank(but you know you are being targeted). So i was not actually trying to be unpredictable there, i was just "hunting" some easy HP since i was pretty sure that match was already won:P 

I was actually waiting to take that shot since arty havent fired at anyone for a long time as you could see me turning the camera around at about 0:30, i was trying to see if anyone in my team was stunned in order to know if arty had one loaded and ready for me. But the point is that the arty focus i meant is the focus where they are not shooting the key role tanks of the match or helping one of the flanks, that arty could have taken his time to relocated to a position where he could help the city (there are a plenty of spots he could have gone to get the necessary angle, but instead he choose to aim at my direction who was not really a imediate threat for any of the flanks. He paid the price :D

I will start to gather my replays where i get focus by more than 2 arty. This tend to happens specially when playing LTs which i am most of the time active scouting, but i will make sure to filter only the replays i am sure to have been focused so as not to add to the huge list of replays you have :great:

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 09 April 2018 - 01:05 PM.

Forum Guy: "All that Marks of Excelence does is to encourage Damage farming over winning".

Me: "YES sir, MOE does encourage dmg farm over winning, just like winning does encourages: YOLO, Camping far back, gold spamming,"world of capping" mindset, OP premium tier 8's purchases, chat rage, platooning to farm win ratio, toxicity, seal clubbing, arty spam etc..... So i guess winning is much more toxic and bad behavior than dmg farming???"  Wait a minute, wow no one has ever thought about that this way??? Then I must be a genius                                                                                                                                                            https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)

Puggsley #55 Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

Captain

• 59938 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

But that is the thing, I hardly have any replays of people being targeted. For such a described problem hardly anyone is willing to put up a replay. 

OK, but as a sometimes arty player I'll share my thoughts.

• Neither flank is going anywhere, got good numbers on each side and neither side is being aggressive. 
  • Middle is critical - get control there and you open the map right up. 
  • Middle is a totally legit arty target, shooting there is as important as anywhere at that stage of the game, especially as the flanks are not being lit and it appeared that there was no real push at all on the flanks.

You obviously thought you were being targeted or you would not have written "this is the day arty will know that they should pay attention to the game and map flow instead of focusing individual players." Its obvious they are not focusing on you (they could have easily shot you one more time in the replay you show. Don't know what it was like before, I'll have a look at the replay tonight).

In my opinion arty was paying close attention to the game and shooting at by far the most obvious target. Why would any tank spend valuable time relocating when you have a top tier dangerous tank in a pretty exposed position? Why would you make such a poor percentage play in moving so they can shoot tanks which are unlikely to be spotted when they have spotted targets in their current position? And when you can cover a low chance push on either flank from that position?

I'll ask you a counter question based on one I use a lot at work ("You've told me why it will work, now tell me why it won't?")

Imagine you were playing that arty, why do you think it is legitimate to shoot at a tank where you were, doing what you did?

At the end of the day I'm trying to develop guides about how to minimise the impact of arty on your play. I'm using actual observations to do that and it seems pretty clear what you have to do and I'm pretty confident that most players will be able to fairly easily incorporate into their play. It does challenge tightly held beliefs which are not supported by data, but it is what it is.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #56 Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

First lieutenant

• 34581 battles

View PostPuggsley, on 09 April 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

In my opinion arty was paying close attention to the game and shooting at by far the most obvious target. Why would any tank spend valuable time relocating when you have a top tier dangerous tank in a pretty exposed position? Why would you make such a poor percentage play in moving so they can shoot tanks which are unlikely to be spotted when they have spotted targets in their current position? And when you can cover a low chance push on either flank from that position?

Why would arty waste time relocating? Well that will be easy to answer:

See the replay by yourself, how many times did i get hit by arty? How many tanks did that arty fired at in that game? Pretty much no one besides me, and it was only one shot (in me), total dmg arty dealt 857, total shells fired 4, total enemy hit 3... So it was not going to be "poor percentage play" to relocate to other position instead of wasting time there, every single "predictable" movement like you think i was making was a pretty calculated risk one, thats why u see me still full HP by that time, it was not an accident...

So arty just wasted time there focused in a single "easy target" in the middle while he could have had easily relocated (like i would have done) to a position where he could have had a real relevance to that game.

The numbers in the match will prove my point. Thats why i believe he was focusing. You can argue he was focusing in all tanks in the middle, but thats was the real poor play in my opinion. To be frank he didnt even need to relocated, he could have focused on splashing side scrapping tanks or behind the buildings in the city, much easier and important than focusing in the mid where i was completed well covered by buildings (related to where arty was)... 

See by yourself in the replay, from that position arty was, it was going to be an easy farm the city. Maybe didnt even need to relocate. 

Also u say i was the only one spotted, when playing arty you shoot tanks not only when they are spotted, you can always blind shoot. Specially bushes where these bunch of TDs in my team could be hid.

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 09 April 2018 - 03:10 PM.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #57 Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

First lieutenant

• 34581 battles

Puggsley

OK, but as a sometimes arty player I'll share my thoughts.

• Neither flank is going anywhere, got good numbers on each side and neither side is being aggressive. 
  • Middle is critical - get control there and you open the map right up. 
  • Middle is a totally legit arty target, shooting there is as important as anywhere at that stage of the game, especially as the flanks are not being lit and it appeared that there was no real push at all on the flanks.

i am not gonna discuss map strategy here specially because during RANDOMS i dont play with a fixed value in mind, or worry too much about key positions. That would be  one "being predictable" way of playing for certain... Every match i play in a different way. Thats why i have 35k battles in the belt, imagine playing every map same way just coz stronghold guys do it? I dont do it and i have quite a lots of success with not focusing on "key positions" more than in the organic flow of the match. But i keep an eye in the tank composition, if i feel they dont have the key tanks to take key positions, then i take control of that positions simply for the pure sake of the advantage it provides... Every map can have more than dozens of key positions depending on your play and on the typical random battle teams...

the mid might be important, but in that particular situation arty just wasted the whole day there, didnt had any impact in that match, that was the real poor play imo. Relocating would have had far more relevance for his team.

i hope u gather enough data to discover something that WG havent figured out yet for years!!! Good lucky on that!

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 09 April 2018 - 03:15 PM.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #58 Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20172 battles

View PostNameWasStolenStresslevel, on 09 April 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

Also u say i was the only one spotted, when playing arty you shoot tanks not only when they are spotted, you can always blind shoot. Specially bushes where these bunch of TDs in my team could be hid.

Interesting.. Ive blind shot LT position in prok and Mali, but rarely goes for unspotted TD position. Its simply not worth it when theres a target already lit. What the highest tier arty you have, just asking. Even in fast firing Lorr51, its not worth it, and worth less in SU-14-2 with 40 sec reload and low ammo count.

Anyone know how to put meme on sig, plss PM me, tq.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #59 Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:53 PM

First lieutenant

• 34581 battles

View PostMother_Of_All_Rommel, on 09 April 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Interesting.. Ive blind shot LT position in prok and Mali, but rarely goes for unspotted TD position. Its simply not worth it when theres a target already lit. What the highest tier arty you have, just asking. Even in fast firing Lorr51, its not worth it, and worth less in SU-14-2 with 40 sec reload and low ammo count.

I have m55m53, but it doesnt matter the tier, you have predictable players that go always to the same spot or key spot in any tier. Try it yourself next time, you gonna farm lots of dmg!  my current arty stats are bad coz they are old stats, but any time i play arty now i do at least 2.5k dmg and lots of stun.

well yeah as i said i was lit, but how many times did arty manage to hit me? once, all because of the cover i had certanly avoiding arty, but as soon as i expose a bit BOOM arty was already ready to shot there. Thats my point, he was aiming there the whole game for little benefit, didnt hit anything the whole game, only when i finally made a move he was able to put a shot... Thats called tunnel visioning or focusing. The real poor play by him.

Puggsley #60 Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:57 PM

Captain

• 59938 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

View PostDieselnuts, on 06 April 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4279590#malinovka-dieselnuts-lttb

Had some minor focus at the start. Only fired at me 2 times whilst I was lit, then 1 blind shot. I realised I was being focused so I avoided giving him anymore shots.

Got a 404 error with this link mate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users