1 Game newbie can' t get a game

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Doonboy #1 Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

Private

• 48 battles
G'day, I've done the tutorial and been set free but the game thing keeps timing out and I just can't get a game. What am I doing wrong?

kookookichoo #2 Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

the ginchiest

• 19063 battles
  • [F-S-A] F-S-A
i’m assuming you’re playing on the anz server - low tier games are harder to get due to the lower population...switch to the singapore server for lower tier games

Doonboy #3 Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

Private

• 48 battles

OK, fantastic, thanks for that but it's not looking good. I got two games and died within seconds without firing a shot or having any idea who killed me or how. Maybe go back to WOWS I think.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #4 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:08 AM

First lieutenant

• 36368 battles

View PostDoonboy, on 22 April 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

OK, fantastic, thanks for that but it's not looking good. I got two games and died within seconds without firing a shot or having any idea who killed me or how. Maybe go back to WOWS I think.

:D i have been there, its normal to not know a game as a begginer. It will get better once u get enough experience. Read some real tutorials for new players on youtube for example or in this forum a lot of articles to help beginners... There are a lot of things in this game to be learned.

i think its better than Wows (though i have played it once or 2 battles only years ago)

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 22 April 2018 - 11:11 AM.

Having META problems?

#Hashtag break the META

(HAHAGHa i must have drank somethin)

https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)

pokeranger24 #5 Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

Dark Meister of Tanks

• 9657 battles
  • [SPIDA] SPIDA

View PostDoonboy, on 22 April 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Try this - pick a team mate, follow him and try to copy what he does - heavily depends if the guy you pick knows what he is doing in the first place

Also its good to have team mates - it gives the enemy something else to shoot at

The Great Overlords of Wargaming have bestowed me with the Title of Dark Meister of Tanks, The controller of RNG and MM

Thou must shout my name if you want favorable RNG and MM

Doonboy #6 Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

Private

• 48 battles
Thanks for the replies. You guys must be sick of [edited] get blown up easy newbies. I am determined to be a sneaky sniper boy with tank destroyers but so far all I do is get destroyed by highly mobile little things about as big as a rat. Where can I go to learn enough to at least see the end of a game? I play WOWS a lot and am big on Battleships. What is the equivalent of a battleship in this game? I need something that will just sit there and soak up hits while I work out who is shooting at me and then blow them up.

CelestiaLudenberg #7 Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

On Conan's Naughty List

• 18751 battles
  • [MYTH] MYTH

Don't worry about low tiers too much, until you hit tier 4/5 the tanks are all pretty much yolo tanks. This can be used to your advantage if you want to play TD's, the enemy team at low tier (tier 1-4) will often just rush in, set up in a position where you can hit them as they cross the commonly used paths, you'll pick up damage quickly.

For now just focus on learning the basics of the game and the maps.

3 M.O.E Tanks: E-100, Panzer VII, E-50M, Leopard 1,  E-75, Leopard PT A, Type 61, Tiger II, VK 45.02A, Indien Panzer, IS-3, STA-1, T-34-2, Type 59, Tiger P, Jagdpanther, StuG III G.

pokeranger24 #8 Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

Dark Meister of Tanks

• 9657 battles
  • [SPIDA] SPIDA

View PostDoonboy, on 22 April 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

What is the equivalent of a battleship in this game? I need something that will just sit there and soak up hits while I work out who is shooting at me and then blow them up.

That would be HTs but you wont be getting impenetrable HTs in low and mid tier - for that you need to get to at least tier 7 and 8, Super Heavy would be an ideal choice for what you are asking especially Japanese Heavy branch, and Maus and Object 705 being good alternatives

Also note the fact that due to the use of premium ammo in the game the effect of armor is reduced but even gold fails to penetrate at times, best example is HEAT

But this might be changing in the coming months as WG seems to bring changes to whole premium ammo mechanics and overall economy

The Great Overlords of Wargaming have bestowed me with the Title of Dark Meister of Tanks, The controller of RNG and MM

Thou must shout my name if you want favorable RNG and MM

skintsaint #9 Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 13106 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostDoonboy, on 22 April 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Don't rush in, its a 15min round. Try to stay in the 2nd line of tanks, let other scout for you would be a good start.

Doonboy #10 Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

Private

• 48 battles
Yeah, look I'm having fun and so far I can spell defeat and we're done let's get out of here but that's about it. I blew something up the other day with a liddle SPG. By golly they are fun but damn hard to survive a game. I tried a tank destroyer and so far have got destroyed a lot. Is there just one tank a newbie (70 year old newbie with slow finger driving and has to switch to binoculars then out then in then get blown up) could possibly survive a bit, hit a few and get some XP to move up the line. Just one low tier tank that I might have a chance in.

kookookichoo #11 Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

the ginchiest

• 19063 battles
  • [F-S-A] F-S-A

View PostDoonboy, on 23 April 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

Yeah, look I'm having fun and so far I can spell defeat and we're done let's get out of here but that's about it. I blew something up the other day with a liddle SPG. By golly they are fun but damn hard to survive a game. I tried a tank destroyer and so far have got destroyed a lot. Is there just one tank a newbie (70 year old newbie with slow finger driving and has to switch to binoculars then out then in then get blown up) could possibly survive a bit, hit a few and get some XP to move up the line. Just one low tier tank that I might have a chance in.

matilda

Tobias_Reaper #12 Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

Corporal

• 3731 battles
You can try the Premium T 127, nice tank if in all tier 3 match....Can take some hits from tier 2 and even some tier 3 tanks. Be aware of any Medium II, its He shell will just one shot you! Matilda is a good one, but to get that you have to struggle through 3 tiers first,or you can buy T 127 and convert xp to get the Matilda without playing the previous tiers!

Edited by Tobias_Reaper, 11 May 2018 - 01:11 PM.

Astorias #13 Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

Corporal

• 25068 battles
  • [GUARD] GUARD
What are you guys talking about. Tier1 till tier3 all tanks are most balanced tanks with more or less similar play style based on learning the game. Unless you come across a seal clubber. And imo best way to survive in lower tiers is to be part of lemming train as it gives you more time to hide and take pot shots. Yolo or camping is certain death in lower tiers.

Puggsley #14 Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Captain

• 62455 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

I play both WoT (mostly) and some WoT, 

The classes don't really correlate that well. It depends how you use them.

BB are loosely like HTs, but only if you use them like you would a US BB. You need to get in and use that armour. Sitting at the back and sniping is utterly useless (and highly rage inducing for your teammates) in nearly all HTs. Your team needs you to push in, either to push the enemy back, or hold a choke point.

CA/L are reasonable equivalents to MTs. Mobile, with decent guns and sometimes great turret armour. Use cover and look for flanking opportunities.

DD are sort of the equivalent of LT, but you don't have the huge firepower you get with torps. LT have to rely on the team for the big firepower, and need the highest skill level to make them work effectively.

CV are a cross between TD and SPG. Generally you will sit at away from the front lines and support other tanks. SPG are much more salt inducing because their firepower cannot be degraded by the target. TDs need to keep somewhat or highly mobile to ensure they can keep their gun in the game.

What is completely common between the games is that it is all about taking and holding territory/map dominance. You have to win somewhere or your team is going to be flanked and crushed.  

Focus fire and target selection are pretty similar too. Taking guns out is a top priority

Staying near a larger fighting force will help your team more than being off by yourself trying to hold back the tide.

Teamwork, teamwork, teamwork. Even working with 1 or 2 tanks on your team will dramatically help win your little battle and allow you to move on to the next one.

Generally the Ruskies are a pretty new user friendly path to take. HTs and meds would be my first recommendation to develop. Doing TDs too early will strongly develop your camping tendencies and you may not be able to switch out of that mindset. Smart aggression wins in WoT. 

neokai #15 Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:18 PM

hunts pixels from red line

• Senior Moderator
  • 38816 battles

View PostPuggsley, on 17 May 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

I play both WoT (mostly) and some WoT, 

u WoT, m8?

Spoiler

Puggsley #16 Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

Captain

• 62455 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Brain has been melted from editing reports........:amazed:

Why the [edited] people think it is better to use 35 words when 15 will clearly convey the concept is beyond me!!!! 

Vindictus_Maximus #17 Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Corporal

• 2290 battles

This game is designed to discourage as many players as possible from continuing with the game.

I stuck with it, but not one of my friend did. I actually became a meme, and my friends make jokes about me for still playing this game. Sort of like someone offers me a beer at a barbecue, and one of my friends will say " He plays World of Tanks. Dont give him a beer, give him a tin of beetroot without a can opener instead"

Not spawning a game in low tiers is just the start, wait until you experience the joys of +2 matchmaking

Edited by Vindictus_Maximus, 18 May 2018 - 08:58 AM.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #18 Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

First lieutenant

• 36368 battles

View PostVindictus_Maximus, on 18 May 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

This game is designed to discourage as many players as possible from continuing with the game.

I stuck with it, but not one of my friend did. I actually became a meme, and my friends make jokes about me for still playing this game. Sort of like someone offers me a beer at a barbecue, and one of my friends will say " He plays World of Tanks. Dont give him a beer, give him a tin of beetroot without a can opener instead"

Not spawning a game in low tiers is just the start, wait until you experience the joys of +2 matchmaking

beer sucks men, your "friends" left you, face the facts. The game isnt bad at all, and if u cant spawn the game in low tiers that means a lot of people prefer to play higher tiers. Sorry for that bro, i dont like low tiers too coz the teams sucks and there is no difference between tanks, any tank will do good in low tiers if u are a sealclubber good player but the game have 30k different players playing through the day if we calculate them (Everytime you log in u can see about 7k players online, that means around 30k players will log in through the day. But lately due to the frontline mode that number might be 50k players)..

I cant play right now coz too much work and the "blonde" japanese female coworker keeps hitting on me so i might want to have an affair with her. Otherwise i would play some low tiers to help to fill that queue. Ok i am lying about the playing low tiers part, there is no benefit playing low tiers, no rewards both statistically and economically. So yah, actually u might be kinda right, there is no benefit playing low tiers, thats the only part u nailed.

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 18 May 2018 - 10:11 AM.

Having META problems?

#Hashtag break the META

https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)

NameWasStolenStresslevel #19 Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

First lieutenant

• 36368 battles

View PostDoonboy, on 22 April 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies. You guys must be sick of [edited] get blown up easy newbies. I am determined to be a sneaky sniper boy with tank destroyers but so far all I do is get destroyed by highly mobile little things about as big as a rat. Where can I go to learn enough to at least see the end of a game? I play WOWS a lot and am big on Battleships. What is the equivalent of a battleship in this game? I need something that will just sit there and soak up hits while I work out who is shooting at me and then blow them up.

:D i loved this comment, the "big as a rat" part reminds me about my bulldog and my T49 stat padding old times lol

Having META problems?

#Hashtag break the META

CelestiaLudenberg #20 Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

On Conan's Naughty List

• 18751 battles
  • [MYTH] MYTH

View PostVindictus_Maximus, on 18 May 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

If what you have stated was the truth, then this game would not be so popular would it?

Bringing up the issue of queue times in low tiers is hardly an argument, I am assuming that you are referring to the ANZ server, if so then do as I tell countless new players in general chat every week and use the SG server until you are at tier 4/5.

3 M.O.E Tanks: E-100, Panzer VII, E-50M, Leopard 1,  E-75, Leopard PT A, Type 61, Tiger II, VK 45.02A, Indien Panzer, IS-3, STA-1, T-34-2, Type 59, Tiger P, Jagdpanther, StuG III G.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users