Finally reached tier 8 and I am getting absolutely slaughtered. Tips?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

AporkalypticPig #1 Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

Corporal

• 2226 battles

With the help of the "IS-7 on Track" event I have finally unlocked the IS-3, my very first tier 8, and I've quickly realized how hard it gets when you're playing against tier 9 and 10s. I'm so bad at my tank that it only has 14% win rate. Yes, 14%. It only has 7 games as of this time but that isn't looking very good. My crew only has one skill mastered and another in training. I have sixth sense, dead eye, off road driving and safe stowage. Second skill are all repairs. Quite frankly though, I feel like all these doesn't matter as I am just bad at playing my tank - or is it the position I take on maps that's causing this I wouldn't know. (A noob rushing through the line maybe?)

A little background on my play style - I love light tanks. I love playing as a scout and I think I'm pretty good at it. Since I thoroughly studied how to play light tanks and scouting from taugrim and 4tankersanddog. I win half of my games when I'm driving my amx 12t and ELC bis before. I always knew when to actively or passively scout, when to flank, where to park my tank etc

*Edit

I play aggressively on my HTs, probably because I played with Japanese heavies first before I decided to get an IS-7. Maybe a little too aggressive sometimes.

Having said all that, is there anyone I can watch and learn from playing heavy tanks? Because most of the time I forget I'm driving a slower tank and end up doing stupid flanks and unable to get away with it.

Edited by AporkalypticPig, 05 May 2018 - 09:23 AM.

Aztec86tw #2 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

Staff sergeant

• 99211 battles
  • [TWWKT] TWWKT

Say something until play 100 match

7 match is nothing

Before use,where is ur is ht experience?

I think network many good use replay good for u

And always we learn repair for 1sr skill on ht crew

Edited by Aztec86tw, 05 May 2018 - 09:11 AM.

AporkalypticPig #3 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

Corporal

• 2226 battles
The only HT experience I have is from this IS line and Japanese heavy line lol

Edited by AporkalypticPig, 05 May 2018 - 09:15 AM.

Ezz #4 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 63911 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Your best bet is to stick around tier 5 / 6 until you get a really good feel for the game and its mechanics. Progressing too quickly up the tiers will just expose you to better players sooner. The upper tiers also tend to be more punishing in the way the maps work, plus you'll start losing credits around tier 8 if you aren't doing very well.

Edited by Ezz, 05 May 2018 - 09:23 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

kookookichoo #5 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

the ginchiest

• 18460 battles
  • [F-S-A] F-S-A

this is very similar to my experience: I prefer LTs and fast MTs and have never felt at home in an HT, especially at tier 8 - I am ashamed to say that I can’t get over 45% in my defender (o the indignity!!! :facepalm:)

I find that as a tier 8 HT I struggle to be effective against tier 10s which is what I seem to meet 90% of the time, and when I do manage to hold my own (i’m proud to say I recently bested a 268 4 frontally the other day) the team melts around me; arty and prem rounds make life that much harder

interestingly I do much better in my alpine tiger (which I attribute to the preferential mm) and the is-2 b (tier 7 is much kinder)

tier 8 is a brutal experience, even for players with lots of battles (3/5/7 mm is not your friend) but it is a necessary trial-by-fire that will temper your play for the highest tiers - you will learn a lot through adversity

ezz has some good advice: drop to a friendlier tier (6/7) that will still challenge you so that you can develop your crews, tactics and map awareness - perhaps you could work on getting 1 or 2 moes in a particular tank as a way to keep your interest and sense of progression whilst also deepening your understanding of the game/class (ie weak spots - yours and the enemies, positioning, side scraping, hull down, when to push and when to hold etc)

unlike taugrim/4tankers/lemmingrush etc, who make great videos explaining what they’re doing, I haven’t found a tuber/resource that does the same for HTs - can anyone recommend one for us?

Edited by kookookichoo, 05 May 2018 - 09:57 AM.

AporkalypticPig #6 Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

Corporal

• 2226 battles
Should I just leave it alone and play it on Frontline once it's out?

kookookichoo #7 Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

the ginchiest

• 18460 battles
  • [F-S-A] F-S-A

View PostAporkalypticPig, on 05 May 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

this seems to be a viable approach - tier 8 only will make life a whole lot easier

The_average_tanker #8 Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

Wallet warrior extraordinaire!

• 10276 battles
  • [F-S-A] F-S-A
The IS-3 is a difficult tank because the armor is not as good as it once used to be (penetration powercreep) and it also gets worse matchmaking. the same thing that affects the T-10. Both these tanks while classified as heavies are not heavies in the traditional sense. You are a heavium and should hence play like one. The T-10 is one of my favorite tanks. Once you get the hang of how to play the gun will make sure you fall in love with it.

The_average_tanker #9 Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

Wallet warrior extraordinaire!

• 10276 battles
  • [F-S-A] F-S-A

View PostAporkalypticPig, on 05 May 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

This could work. Since the IS-3 is a heavium the mobility is useful. However note that the boosts for on track may not be active on frontline mode. but i am not sure.

I am planning to grind the TVP VTU and the AMX 50 100 on the frontline mode.

Dragonere #10 Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Corporal

• 3876 battles
  • [GIFO] GIFO

Stay near your top tiers support them and make sure YOU and them don’t die, when your bottom tiered its hard to be aggressive so just lay back and take safe shots. Chances are most of you are like “who are you to give advice with the stats you have” honestly, if I made a new account my stats wouldn’t be horrific, reason being, is that I used to be that noob that would YOLO and get himself killed, and I also used to say “FALLING BACK IS FOR COWARDS!” , Hardest thing to learn is to accept that your team will be idiotic most of the time, so YOU have to carry them... I had a game a few months back where I think I got 3k damage 1k spotting and 2 or 3 other team members getting 1k damage and the rest below 1k (I was in the Leo Pta) .

You might also wonder how I play, I love playing with fast meds I focused all my time to getting up the Leo 1 line, because the Leo 1 looked cool when I was new, a few weeks later i learned its a cowards tank, so i told myself I would master the Leo 1 and play it aggresively, I made it to the Leo Pta and it is one hell of a pain to learn to play a paper tank and deal with a stupid team, lol, (I play passive-aggresively)

CelestiaLudenberg #11 Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

First lieutenant

• 17521 battles
  • [MYTH] MYTH

Don't be afraid to grind the tank, just refrain from power grinding through the tiers for the sake of getting to the next tank. Overcome your desideratum of higher tier tanks and slow down to learn how to handle what you currently have, the only way to improve is to practice. 

For learning the game mechanics I suggest tiers 5-7. Personally I find anything lower to be filled with players that are quixotic which makes it hard to learn the traits of players at higher tiers as what you learn here is not really transferable. Tiers 5-7 however are perfect as this is where the tank lines really start to show their specific traits and the players are more akin to that of standard play. 

Typically I always tell new players as a rule of thumb, that when you can reliably do your own health in damage or more, then you are ready to repeat this process at the next tier. Do not allow this idea to prevent you from grinding your higher tier tanks as you won't get a proper feel for them until they are elited anyway.

Edited by DefendingTheFatherland, 05 May 2018 - 05:57 PM.

Beep Beep!

Rainbow coming through!

3 M.O.E Tanks: E-100, Panzer VII, Leopard 1,  E-75, Leopard PT A, Type 61, Tiger II, VK 45.02A, Indien Panzer, IS-3, STA-1, T-34-2, Type 59, Tiger P, Jagdpanther, StuG III G.

AporkalypticPig #12 Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

Corporal

• 2226 battles
Thank you everyone, I'll try to play with it a bit more and see where this takes me.

CaptainNoch_01 #13 Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

Sergeant

• 19305 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

To be honest, I feel bad for you. Tier 8 used to be fun but lately, the glorious 3/5/7 and 5/10 MMs kinda ruined it. The 'IS7' mission is good but don't rush it. All you get is a Te-Ke? I'd rather brush up on my skillset rather than frustrating myself. And the stock 122mm gun on the IS3 is frustrating as it is. I remember hating the IS3 until I got the BL-9. 

If you want to save some sanity, just do your daily x2 until you get the top gun or spend some free xp. Stock tier 8 grinds are painful to start with.

signature.png

Why do I still play this game? 

Tobias_Reaper #14 Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:54 PM

Corporal

• 2835 battles
  • [SMTM] SMTM

Hey @AporkalypticPig, same story here bro, may be we can platoon sometimes in game...do give me a call when you are in game!

Edited by Tobias_Reaper, 06 May 2018 - 05:55 PM.

Angmar_ #15 Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

Corporal

• 16998 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

dead-eye and off-road driving should be swapped out for snap shot and smooth ride if you've got the gold handy. Repairs is definitely essential as your 2nd skill.

You're going to find it tough as a stock tier 8, but 14% win rate with 7 games isn't the worst thing in the world, it's only if you've still got that win rate after 50 or 100 games that you've got a problem :P. And really, don't be surprised if you don't hit your average win rate in it till you've got it fully upgraded.

Puggsley #16 Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

Captain

• 60885 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

Just had a look at how you went yesterday on wotzilla (https://asia.wotzill...tivity-gamemode) and it looks like one issue you are having is really low penetration rates, less than 22%, and resulting really low damage per game.

If its your first T8 then you are going to be facing some tanks which you will not be familiar with, in a tank with pretty dodgy not top guns. Its going to be hard to pick up the knowledge about weakspots apart from playing T8, just don't be in a rush or spend some time on tanks.gg to get some ideas about the tanks you are now facing.

Until you get the tank fully upgraded maybe don't play it too much (get the daily doubles but also grind some free xp in other tanks to help). Play a support tank until you do, shadow a higher tier tank and let them take the hit, once the enemy has fired you pop out and hit a weakspot or track them. This will help you survive to do enough damage to get some XP.

Astorias #17 Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Corporal

• 24358 battles
  • [GUARD] GUARD

Do not even bother to check your stats till you get the BL-9 gun. Grind the tank whenever you get a chance. IS-3 is one of those remaining tier8 tanks that can honorably fight in the current state of broken mm. It becomes a real deal only after mounting BL-9 gun. 

175mm pen in tier8 is a joke now a days and you have to spam a lot of premium shells. So best option is to play support initially and dont bother shooting front of any heavy tank or TD on enemy team. Take shots when you get sides or back to shoit at else try to shoot the tracks off and hope bigger guns in your team gets you assist damage. 

Is-3 without BL-9 gun is to be played exactly like IS, ie, shoot and hide. Once you fully upgrade, you can play aggressively.

Enjoy the tank, it's still competitive enough to give those tier10/9 a good fight.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #18 Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20716 battles
Spam those HE like mad if using stock gun, 100 dmg is better than no pen shot. Dont go hulldown, stock turret wont do shit. You will lose alot, but it still better then IS-M stock grind. I know dat pain, gud luck. You can choose to stick at tier 5 or something, but 3K game in KV-1 wont do jack shit for your IS7 game. Best for you to speedgrind to IS7 and learn there, if, you wan to be good in IS7.

THE ONLY REAL POWER COMES OUT OF A LONG RIFLE

AporkalypticPig #19 Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:11 PM

Corporal

• 2226 battles

Yes this is my first tier 8 tank and sadly I really do bounce a lot of shots. I'll spend some time of tanks.gg and get familiar with all the tier 8-10 weak spots, will take a while but I'm sure it will be worth the time. I'll get some premium time so I can the the BL-9 a lot faster, seems like the best way to do it.

@Tobias sure man, I'll hit you up when I get the chance. I don't play that much lately.

Tobias_Reaper #20 Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:04 AM

Corporal

• 2835 battles
  • [SMTM] SMTM
NO probs man! Just had a horrible weekend in all tiers....so may be next time you are in game, gimme a call...would be nice to have a comrade in the battlefield!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users