frontline province

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Justa_Target #1 Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:00 AM

Corporal

• 8794 battles
  • [DOGS-] DOGS-

Greetings,

Well, I played my first five games of this new 'Frontline' game which is for Tier VIII vehicles only .  Here is what I think, for what it is worth. 

Well done for WG to actually bring out something new besides another tier VIII tank.  Yay on that.  You will also find 2 new tanks in your garage, a T-44FL Russian Medium and a T32FL American Heavy. FL stands for Frontline or as WG back office might refer to them as 'Free Loaders'.  You even get a crew for each that is fully trained to 100% and ready for their first skill.  If you like you could even put your own crew in.  

Once you select Frontline battle mode, you wont take long to get into the game.  You will mostly find that your team has more heavies than all the other tanks combined.  The rest of the make up of the 30 tanks per side is around 10 mediums(mostly Pagerros(surprise surprise)).  You might even find a couple of light tanks, but they are usually newbies and as soon as they find out how the game works, they dont come back as a scout.  You might even find artillery, but even a Tier VIII G.W. Panther doesnt have the range to shoot 3 kilometers(Russian physics defy real physics), so you have to use the 'Propel' part of your SPG.

Now the map(only map) you get to play is 'Road to Glory'.  The map is divided into 9 different sections, each section is around the size of a normal game.  When you start, you will find yourself at either end with a group of tanks.  Depending if you are attacking or defending, you have to attack and take an objective(the same way you capture a base) and once you have captured it, the defending tanks have 1 minute to clear the area(retreat from the captured zone) or get killed by Russian 'Shturmovik' aircraft and blow up(you cannot escape).  Each time a zone is captured, the attacking team get an additional 2 minutes added to their time to capture all the objectives.  If your lose a zone, you can regain it through aggressive and determined play by co-operating with your team to bust the enemy open and recapture the base.  I have never seen this done and doubt I ever will.  I believe the battle runs for 15 ,minutes, but I may be wrong.  

Now if you die(you most likely will a few times), WG has used the same technique that [some other game not worth mentioning] uses, which is you come back to life, waiting to be dropped into a zone of your choice to battle on.  You can select a different tank to use, or wait while your destroyed tank gets repaired(which can take up to 5 minutes).  Now when you come back in, you randomly come in at a nice spot with other tanks, or dropped in all alone, in the open, with 5 enemy tanks spotting you and shooting at you as they charge through.  

A nice feature is that there are 'repair' stations, spread around, with 1 per zone.  If you are hit several times, or running out of ammunition, just head to the repair station and you will be resupplied and automatically repaired.  You can only do this while not under fire and once repaired, a 2 minute timer starts before you can repair again, so don't think you can sit there and repair while being hit.  Also, the repair station will only repair one tank at a time, so first in, first repaired.

Finally communications.  This is where I believe it falls down.  On the Asian server, you have players from numerous countries.  There appears to be little talking and co-operating so each battle people seem to be in it for themselves and usually die by themselves.  The is zero co-operation, so be aware that once you are in, play to the style that best suits you, because while you are on the team, you are not in a team.  

The game is very fast moving, unlike some of the random battles which end up with both sides trying to out snipe the other.  Whilst you can park in a TD and try to snipe, before you know it, the front has moved on and you are no longer in the rear supporting, but by yourself with 6 enemy tanks bearing down on you, so watch out around you.

So far I have played 5 games and won 1.  People are still getting used to the maps and the new play style.  Camping is no long an option because the front line will change and the enemy will be upon you.  It can be fun, but equally frustrating when you watch players trying to camp while you are advancing to the front to stop from losing.  Artillery doesn't play a big part, but the occasional shells hitting you are now just an annoyance as you can go and repair yourself.  Probably explains why there is little artillery in the game.  Scouts last maybe 2 shots against heavies, and with the number of heavies, you don't need a scout to find them for you.

Anyway, something new to play with.  Now you can dust off all your old Tier VIII tanks you haven't used in ages and bring them to the FrontLine.

Justa_Target.

Edited by Justa_Target, 10 May 2018 - 12:01 PM.

It's not about how good you are, it's about how stupid the rest of the team is and how stupid the enemy team is which makes a good game.

Tobias_Reaper #2 Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:56 AM

Corporal

• 1277 battles
  • [SMTM] SMTM
Well written! You captured the essence of the game mode quite well! Yes, there is no communication ( Asia Server :( ), it's all do it alone and if you are lucky you will get one or two like minded players supporting you but more often its 1 vs 5/6/7....Played 7 matches, won 2. As far as I feel the defending seems better between the two modes, but it's randomly given so no chance of  pre-meditation. Overall a nice refreshing change from Wargaming! Hope the Mode survives!

wasaabi #3 Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:29 AM

This Dude Abides

• Senior Moderator
  • 20560 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Moved to the appropriate forum.

~Wasaabi

The Dude abides.

Spoiler

AlexTheKid72 #4 Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

Corporal

• 10098 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN

oops wrong thread :P

Edited by AlexTheKid72, 08 May 2018 - 07:13 AM.

Puggsley #5 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

Captain

• 59617 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

When you are on the attacking team YOU HAVE TO ADVANCE AND CAP.

3 tanks should always cap. Other tanks need to get in and run interference on the defenders so that they cannot get a reset. Dying while you do this to win a zone is a good thing to do. Do not sit back and snipe while capping.

If you go to your favourite little perch and sit there sniping and not advancing then you are going to lose. Just like you will lose if you do the same thing in an assault mode game.

You get respawn tanks so don't be afraid to get killed if you are helping to capture a zone.

ThomChen114 #6 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 34039 battles
  • [PYRO] PYRO

View PostPuggsley, on 08 May 2018 - 08:33 AM, said:

When you are on the attacking team YOU HAVE TO ADVANCE AND CAP.

3 tanks should always cap. Other tanks need to get in and run interference on the defenders so that they cannot get a reset. Dying while you do this to win a zone is a good thing to do. Do not sit back and snipe while capping.

If you go to your favourite little perch and sit there sniping and not advancing then you are going to lose. Just like you will lose if you do the same thing in an assault mode game.

You get respawn tanks so don't be afraid to get killed if you are helping to capture a zone.

I'd imagine this will start to happen more once we can platoon up for Frontlines, since having at least 2 other players you know and communicate with could make a difference. Atm there's just a lot of moving pieces that you can't really control and just have to hope that pubs can recognize and take initiative ( I giggle as I think of that happening)

Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger

Puggsley #7 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

Captain

• 59617 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

Its the living embodiment of the phrase "herding cats"......

When defending I've found staying somewhat close to the channels where you can cross between zones handy for disruptive flanking moves. 

Little_Boney #8 Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

Major

• 89464 battles
  • [O_G] O_G
Anyone had issues with shooting the guns at the end? my gun wont fire when near them at them. Have safe shoot on but wouldn't think it was an issue. I use Aslains.

Justa_Target #9 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:41 PM

Corporal

• 8794 battles
  • [DOGS-] DOGS-

Well, I played a few more games of Frontline and will add these things I have observed.  This game is fast.  If you are on the attacking side, you have to continually push.  You cannot sit back and snipe and camp like you can on Random battles.  

If you are on the defending side, the next tank you bring in can be a TD.  Sure, snipe, but close to the front.  You have to at least cover the cap points.  If you lose them, you are going to lose the game.

This game requires guts and if you are afraid of getting your tank scratched, or one of those mindless players who are afraid to engage up close and personal, then this isn't the game for you.  Wait till you get some experience and get some big boys pants on, because in this style of battle, there is no room for snowflakes.  People rely on you and you rely on them.  Use your dammed minimap, I cant emphasis that enough.  If you think you can just buy a tier VIII and come in and think you can play, you will get [edited] whipped for sure, because without experience in WG, you are just a target.

JT

It's not about how good you are, it's about how stupid the rest of the team is and how stupid the enemy team is which makes a good game.

Little_Boney #10 Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:59 AM

Major

• 89464 battles
  • [O_G] O_G
Where's that feedback thread gone? Shooting final gun was a mod issue, run in safe mode to fix. Saw a mountain goat today, this needs fixing ASAP.

neokai #11 Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:31 AM

SealClub Number 9

• Senior Moderator
  • 36779 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

View PostLittle_Boney, on 13 May 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

Where's that feedback thread gone? Shooting final gun was a mod issue, run in safe mode to fix. Saw a mountain goat today, this needs fixing ASAP.

Feedback thread is pinned in gameplay discussion.
Spoiler

TheBudgiesmuggler #12 Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

Sergeant

• 22505 battles
  • [DOGS-] DOGS-

View PostJusta_Target, on 08 May 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

Greetings,

Well, I played my first five games of this new 'Frontline' game which is for Tier VIII vehicles only .  Here is what I think, for what it is worth. 

Well done for WG to actually bring out something new besides another tier VIII tank.  Yay on that.  You will also find 2 new tanks in your garage, a T-44FL Russian Medium and a T32FL American Heavy. FL stands for Frontline or as WG back office might refer to them as 'Free Loaders'.  You even get a crew for each that is fully trained to 100% and ready for their first skill.  If you like you could even put your own crew in.  

Once you select Frontline battle mode, you wont take long to get into the game.  You will mostly find that your team has more heavies than all the other tanks combined.  The rest of the make up of the 30 tanks per side is around 10 mediums(mostly Pagerros(surprise surprise)).  You might even find a couple of light tanks, but they are usually newbies and as soon as they find out how the game works, they dont come back as a scout.  You might even find artillery, but even a Tier VIII G.W. Panther doesnt have the range to shoot 3 kilometers(Russian physics defy real physics), so you have to use the 'Propel' part of your SPG.

Now the map(only map) you get to play is 'Road to Glory'.  The map is divided into 9 different sections, each section is around the size of a normal game.  When you start, you will find yourself at either end with a group of tanks.  Depending if you are attacking or defending, you have to attack and take an objective(the same way you capture a base) and once you have captured it, the defending tanks have 1 minute to clear the area(retreat from the captured zone) or get killed by Russian 'Shturmovik' aircraft and blow up(you cannot escape).  Each time a zone is captured, the attacking team get an additional 2 minutes added to their time to capture all the objectives.  If your lose a zone, you can regain it through aggressive and determined play by co-operating with your team to bust the enemy open and recapture the base.  I have never seen this done and doubt I ever will.  I believe the battle runs for 15 ,minutes, but I may be wrong.  

Now if you die(you most likely will a few times), WG has used the same technique that [some other game not worth mentioning] uses, which is you come back to life, waiting to be dropped into a zone of your choice to battle on.  You can select a different tank to use, or wait while your destroyed tank gets repaired(which can take up to 5 minutes).  Now when you come back in, you randomly come in at a nice spot with other tanks, or dropped in all alone, in the open, with 5 enemy tanks spotting you and shooting at you as they charge through.  

A nice feature is that there are 'repair' stations, spread around, with 1 per zone.  If you are hit several times, or running out of ammunition, just head to the repair station and you will be resupplied and automatically repaired.  You can only do this while not under fire and once repaired, a 2 minute timer starts before you can repair again, so don't think you can sit there and repair while being hit.  Also, the repair station will only repair one tank at a time, so first in, first repaired.

Finally communications.  This is where I believe it falls down.  On the Asian server, you have players from numerous countries.  There appears to be little talking and co-operating so each battle people seem to be in it for themselves and usually die by themselves.  The is zero co-operation, so be aware that once you are in, play to the style that best suits you, because while you are on the team, you are not in a team.  

The game is very fast moving, unlike some of the random battles which end up with both sides trying to out snipe the other.  Whilst you can park in a TD and try to snipe, before you know it, the front has moved on and you are no longer in the rear supporting, but by yourself with 6 enemy tanks bearing down on you, so watch out around you.

So far I have played 5 games and won 1.  People are still getting used to the maps and the new play style.  Camping is no long an option because the front line will change and the enemy will be upon you.  It can be fun, but equally frustrating when you watch players trying to camp while you are advancing to the front to stop from losing.  Artillery doesn't play a big part, but the occasional shells hitting you are now just an annoyance as you can go and repair yourself.  Probably explains why there is little artillery in the game.  Scouts last maybe 2 shots against heavies, and with the number of heavies, you don't need a scout to find them for you.

Anyway, something new to play with.  Now you can dust off all your old Tier VIII tanks you haven't used in ages and bring them to the FrontLine.

Justa_Target.

Well said JT 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users