Jump to content


Top Pick Frontline Tanks


  • Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

ThomChen114 #101 Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

    Captain

  • Beta-Tester
  • 34124 battles
  • 1,099
  • [PYRO] PYRO
  • Member since:
    09-21-2012

View Postmttspiii, on 16 May 2018 - 02:12 AM, said:

 

Grinded 100k XP in the AMX 65t in FL, and I'd say, it's probably one of the best FL tanks. Not better, not decent, but actually a top-notch reliable FL tank.

 

 

I'm some ways off from the top engine, which seems like a really big EXP sink for not much gain. Not looking forward to then grinding for the turret and 120mm gun.

 

The 100mm gun handles fine and the armor works from the front, and its mobility is just barely acceptable. 


Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger


FishyPower #102 Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Member
  • 13153 battles
  • 789
  • [BAMF] BAMF
  • Member since:
    11-01-2014

T92 LT was a surprisingly good choice.

 

The gun is fabulous except for alpha damage. Great gun handling, depression and shell velocity made it easily for you to auto-lock a tank and zip around focusing on driving while holding down the fire button.

 

The small size also increases the survivability of the tank.

 

When you see your team heading towards cap, you can come in out of nowhere and be the deciding factor that speeds up the cap enough to win it.

 

Or in a defense where you pop ridges and attract everyone's attention.

 

Bonus

 

You sneak in to the locked flanks then solo an objective as your team first clears a 2nd stage tile

 

Or, have 5 + tanks chasing you as your run around in the 3rd lane and take pressure off the team


Stats on the left are outdated, look at the purple statz on the right please


ThomChen114 #103 Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

    Captain

  • Beta-Tester
  • 34124 battles
  • 1,099
  • [PYRO] PYRO
  • Member since:
    09-21-2012

View PostFishyPower, on 16 May 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

T92 LT was a surprisingly good choice.

 

The gun is fabulous except for alpha damage. Great gun handling, depression and shell velocity made it easily for you to auto-lock a tank and zip around focusing on driving while holding down the fire button.

 

The small size also increases the survivability of the tank.

 

When you see your team heading towards cap, you can come in out of nowhere and be the deciding factor that speeds up the cap enough to win it.

 

Or in a defense where you pop ridges and attract everyone's attention.

 

Bonus

 

You sneak in to the locked flanks then solo an objective as your team first clears a 2nd stage tile

 

Or, have 5 + tanks chasing you as your run around in the 3rd lane and take pressure off the team

 

Light tanks when done right can be a bane to the enemy team.

Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger


FramFramson #104 Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

    Major

  • Member
  • 34759 battles
  • 3,133
  • Member since:
    02-22-2015

View PostFishyPower, on 16 May 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

Or, have 5 + tanks chasing you as your run around in the 3rd lane and take pressure off the team

 

And that's when you realize your team is so hopelessly [edited] that they can't even win 2:1 fights...

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.


CaptainNoch_01 #105 Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 17892 battles
  • 162
  • Member since:
    09-05-2013
I find T32 or any tank with hull down capabilities extremely effective in defending the C cap. 

To be [noob] or not to be [noob]


MagicalFlyingFox #106 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

    Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

  • Beta-Tester
  • 27965 battles
  • 12,763
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    10-03-2012

View Postmttspiii, on 16 May 2018 - 04:12 AM, said:

 

Grinded 100k XP in the AMX 65t in FL, and I'd say, it's probably one of the best FL tanks. Not better, not decent, but actually a top-notch reliable FL tank.

 

The catch: that's only if you grinded the 120mm D.1203 'dead-end' gun first (and also the top engine, but the effect isn't really notable because velcro tracks > moar poweeer).

 

Yeah it sounds weird, but the nice thing about FL is how it suits the D.1203 perfectly: you have a bunch of MT's running around, and you have a 400-alpha boomstick with pleasant shell velocity and gun handling parameters while situated comfortably at mid-range, with only your 250mm-thick turret sticking out of the hill. They try to engage you with AP because they mostly don't bring sprem, and if they do fire sprem they mostly won't pen your turret with snapshots anyway. They predictably bounce off your armor, while you outtrade them with superior alpha. Eventually the flow of battle shifts because an area gets captured, so you don't have to bother with digging out campers (unlike usual ASIA meta) and thus you get to feast on retreating (or advancing) tanks. And if an enemy gets really feisty and you can't dig them out because lol your cupola is yuuuge, bring in your own artillery strike, get them out of position, then drive in and blast them. In fact, your main problem with the AMX 65t is its ridiculous vulnerability to arty, which every tank and his dog carries in-battle. Otherwise, smartly driven as an HT version of the Revalorise, you're fine.

 

It's that promised niche WG has been trying to sell us when they first introduced the AMX 65t: 400-alpha bombs with decent gun depression and handling. No other tier 8 can do that reliably (except Revalorise):

- Soviet & Chinese MT/HT's can't into depression, which is crucial in FL,

- VK 100 & T28 Proto are too slow for FL,

- Skorps & Borsigs are ridiculously focus-fired (unlike the AMX 65t because half of its profile is impenetrable, and also because its weak reputation means it's somewhat under-the-radar as a threat to a typical FL pubbie.)

- most other TD's lack a turret

 

Current T34 does this.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

Free Gold

Whack-A-Defender Brigade 2018


Puggsley #107 Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 59671 battles
  • 1,139
  • [LEFT] LEFT
  • Member since:
    04-03-2014
Took the VK100 out for a run last night, locking down caps (C & A) was highly amusing. For a while I thought I would crack the 10k blocked damage on C.

Grey_Wolfe #108 Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 26728 battles
  • 64
  • [PYRO] PYRO
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

Skorp G - Hard hitter, great DPM, mobile

Centurion 5/1 RAAC - Mobile, great consistent DPM, accuracy, Hard turret, great for resets

Progetto m35 model 46 - Mobile, consistent DPM, 720 potential clip dmg if required

Nameless - Mobile, great front armour and bouncy, attracts attention, good gun

 

Common factors I look for and were provided in above tanks (1) mobility with such large areas to cover, (2) Standard round pens, (3) DPM as over 15-20 minutes its all about the grind

 

Skorp, damage and scare factor

Cent and Prog, swiss army knife versatility

Nameless to drive to cap to cap

 

Start game with Prog or cent, if assault straight to Nameless after 1st death, if defend consider skorpG 



Mother_Of_All_Rommel #109 Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

    Destroyer of WoT

  • Member
  • 19828 battles
  • 2,483
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014
Also can use big splash arty to lock C out from cappers. Take SU-14-2, get a bit to the border between C and B, there you can hit C cap beside the bunker where ppl always cover when capping, most of the time, 3 tanks cowering there. Thats about 1k dmg per shot, maybe higher with prem :great:

''Ring around a rosie, a pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down..''

 

An Ultimate solution for gold and arty problem, hold your tears, and click here, salvation is near---

 


FishyPower #110 Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:21 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Member
  • 13153 battles
  • 789
  • [BAMF] BAMF
  • Member since:
    11-01-2014

View PostFramFramson, on 16 May 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

 

And that's when you realize your team is so hopelessly [edited] that they can't even win 2:1 fights...

 

Don't remind me XD

Stats on the left are outdated, look at the purple statz on the right please


NameWasStolenStresslevel #111 Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:18 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Member
  • 34001 battles
  • 862
  • Member since:
    01-19-2015

View PostGrey_Wolfe, on 17 May 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

Skorp G - Hard hitter, great DPM, mobile

Centurion 5/1 RAAC - Mobile, great consistent DPM, accuracy, Hard turret, great for resets

Progetto m35 model 46 - Mobile, consistent DPM, 720 potential clip dmg if required

Nameless - Mobile, great front armour and bouncy, attracts attention, good gun

 

Common factors I look for and were provided in above tanks (1) mobility with such large areas to cover, (2) Standard round pens, (3) DPM as over 15-20 minutes its all about the grind

 

Skorp, damage and scare factor

Cent and Prog, swiss army knife versatility

Nameless to drive to cap to cap

 

Start game with Prog or cent, if assault straight to Nameless after 1st death, if defend consider skorpG 

 

wow only premium tanks? what about prot t28, t32 t69 and that new german heavy? cmon there are good standard tanks too!

Forum Guy: "All that Marks of Excelence does is to encourage Damage farming over winning".

Me: "YES sir, MOE does encourage dmg farm over winning, just like winning does encourages: YOLO, Camping far back, gold spamming,"world of capping" mindset, OP premium tier 8's purchases, chat rage, platooning to farm win ratio, toxicity, seal clubbing, arty spam etc..... So i guess winning is much more toxic and bad behavior than dmg farming???"  Wait a minute, wow no one has ever thought about that this way??? Then I must be a genius                                                                                                                                                            https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

         Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)


Revan #112 Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:59 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 22960 battles
  • 1,833
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    11-13-2012

New at this have been using.

 

Patriot

T-44/100

Lorraine

 

 as my go to's, kinda grinding the TVP so use that as well. 


Empowered by the dark side, fueled by pubbie tears. 

ThomChen114 #113 Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:08 AM

    Captain

  • Beta-Tester
  • 34124 battles
  • 1,099
  • [PYRO] PYRO
  • Member since:
    09-21-2012

Same day as I started grinding the Ferdinand I took it for a spin in Frontlines (after already unlocking the tracks & mounting the spare 12.8 cm), and managed to make it last from start to finish while on an Attacking team (even reached and destroyed one of the objectives before I was finally put down). The armor still isn't that dependable at close range, but at longer range whilst keeping the front pointed in the general direction of incoming fire it holds up from most standard non-TD rounds. It can sort of act like a heavy tank, and carrying two combat reserves helps (I run air recon and airstrike). The 12.8 cm gun is as devastating as it gets.

 

The M40/43 is my second ever tier VIII SPG, and on lazy days I just alternate between that and the FV207. The 8" gun on the American packs quite a wallop if/when it hits, but the relatively short reach and long reload + low ammo capacity (16) means I often run out of shells pretty quickly if I'm not paying attention and moving to the resupply point preemptively (assuming I haven't been spawn-camped or counter-batteried. The FV207 with its 6" gun, by contrast, has enough shells for days and has a slightly faster reload and farther reach. And sometimes that's more important for resetting the cap ($$$) or "supporting" allies. I also haven't quite figured out which has the better gun arc.

 

Side note: I never bother to carry any premium HE on my SPGs. Makes me feel slightly less dirty and it also just ain't worth it.


Edited by ThomChen114, 21 May 2018 - 12:08 AM.

Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger


mttspiii #114 Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:16 AM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 28507 battles
  • 16,387
  • [PVP] PVP
  • Member since:
    04-15-2012

View PostThomChen114, on 16 May 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

 

I'm some ways off from the top engine, which seems like a really big EXP sink for not much gain. Not looking forward to then grinding for the turret and 120mm gun.

 

The 100mm gun handles fine and the armor works from the front, and its mobility is just barely acceptable. 

 

100mm is decent, but it has the worst bloom of the 3 guns, in either turret. Good when you encounter VK100 and Defenders with its massive-pen sprem rounds, but not so effective against surprise flanking maneuvers or when you want to squeeze off the maximum alpha for those opportunistic shots. And its ~300 alpha damage is already filled in by the Tiger II (better side armor and gun handling), KV-4 (worse mobility, but much better armor profile and gun handling), O-Ho 100 (a KV-4 with all strengths and weaknesses doubled), and even the Caernarvon (better turret, less alpha, way more DPM).

 

90mm is, surprisingly, feasible. 212 pen is practically just as good as 218, while the permatrack RoF and gun handling lets it hit targets reliably, consistently, and continuously. In fact, AMX 65t 90mm has more DPM than the FCM 50t, and we consider the FCM 50t to be decent. But then of course the Patriot just came in and rendered all other 90mm-armed tanks obsolete.

 

Mobility is just plain bad though proportionate to armor; with that speed you could at least hope to withstand an artillery strike, but paper sides say nope.

 

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 16 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

Current T34 does this.

 

Almost, but not quite. In exchange for losing tier-9 pen and -2 depression, AMX 65t 120mm has noticeably better gun handling, DPM, shell velocity, and mobility. T34 handles like an AMX 65t with 75% crews; stats be that gimped.


I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

 

 


Sir_Direkin #115 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:11 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 8926 battles
  • 1,098
  • Member since:
    12-16-2016

View PostThomChen114, on 21 May 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

Side note: I never bother to carry any premium HE on my SPGs. Makes me feel slightly less dirty and it also just ain't worth it.

 

I've never loaded premium HE either. Not sure the extra 1m of splash (on my Lorr 155 51 anyway, US line is still at tier VII, and German line will remain at tier VII indefinitely) is that worthwhile, and it's always a surprise whenever I get hit with premium HE. I just don't see the point of firing ammo that costs so much more, especially when it doesn't increase pen or damage, and if it's going to miss, it'll probably be so far anyway that the extra 1m won't make up for the difference. I do have some premium HE loaded on the GW Panther from long ago, but I've never fired it.


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: AMX 12t, KV-85, M24 Chaffee, T-50


ThomChen114 #116 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:35 AM

    Captain

  • Beta-Tester
  • 34124 battles
  • 1,099
  • [PYRO] PYRO
  • Member since:
    09-21-2012

View PostSir_Direkin, on 25 May 2018 - 12:11 AM, said:

 

I've never loaded premium HE either. Not sure the extra 1m of splash (on my Lorr 155 51 anyway, US line is still at tier VII, and German line will remain at tier VII indefinitely) is that worthwhile, and it's always a surprise whenever I get hit with premium HE. I just don't see the point of firing ammo that costs so much more, especially when it doesn't increase pen or damage, and if it's going to miss, it'll probably be so far anyway that the extra 1m won't make up for the difference. I do have some premium HE loaded on the GW Panther from long ago, but I've never fired it.

 

the only occasion I'd ever remotely consider loading premium HE is for shooting into the capture circle, when you want to guarantee a hit or stun on at least one vehicle. But SPGs like the M40/43 with its 8" gun (and limited ammo capacity), and the long [edited] reload means I need to make that shot count, and the standard HE shell already has a pretty wide splash radius.

 

Only in the British FV207 do I still carry some premium HE, since its relatively low caliber 6" gun has somewhat low splash radius. But it more than makes up for it with rate of fire and somewhat better accuracy, which means I can generally land 2 or 3 shells into the capture circle which at best I could fire off 2 rounds in time.

 

tl;dr It's your own credits and how you want to spend it. Take into consideration the siituation and the "risk" and reward of when and where you try to land your shots.


Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger


Mother_Of_All_Rommel #117 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:46 AM

    Destroyer of WoT

  • Member
  • 19828 battles
  • 2,483
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014
Before FL end, I'll sure to run SU-14-2 full gold and food. I Wanna see a -200k silver game at least once :justwait:

''Ring around a rosie, a pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down..''

 

An Ultimate solution for gold and arty problem, hold your tears, and click here, salvation is near---

 


FramFramson #118 Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:02 AM

    Major

  • Member
  • 34759 battles
  • 3,133
  • Member since:
    02-22-2015
I'm just grinding past the Pantera 44, but alternating between that and the Prog 46 in FL is pretty hilarious.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.


Profanisaurus #119 Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:26 AM

    le sigh

  • Member
  • 2012 battles
  • 3,958
  • [PBFG] PBFG
  • Member since:
    02-19-2013

I got a few codes for a loan Somua SM for some alt accounts so loaded it on my main.  It is a superb tank for Fronties.

 

Also apologies for anyone I have fired gold at while running my STA-1.  The Stock gun has to be ground somewhere.


Edited by Profanisaurus, 25 May 2018 - 05:27 AM.





2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users